Projecting Toronto's 1st Round Pick as the season goes on

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
I know you put a lot of work into this so i'd like to just add something without trying to discount anything you said. That is not my intent. But when looking at their schedule compared to what they have upcoming up until the Olympic break, their next 6 weeks or so look very difficult. In Nov and Dec, other than their unforseen domination of Washington, they have not done well against playoff teams, which they have a lot of coming up. They also have a half dozen games against Western Conference teams, who always dominate the east for some reason. In January they have 9 road games and 6 home games. In Feb 3 home to raod including back to back against NJ. Kessel is in a huge slump, 1 goal in his last 7, 2 in his last 9. Not sure if this is a lack of a set up man and teams are finally catching up to him or just a slump. Seems like their goaltending lets in a bad goal every game. They seem to have to fall behind by 2 or 3 goals before they start to play, and they can't come back every game. There are just too many issues i see in this team where they can climb out of the hole they dug themselves at the beginning of the season. And remember, they dont have to finish 30 for the B's to get first pick. It is a draft lottery and teams have lost the lottery in the past.

Again, i appreciate the work you did, but there are just too many variables to consider when predicting their position. I still believe Carolina can catch them. 10 points back, 2 games in hand and 3 games left to play against the Leafs. There aren't too many people that would have put Carolina below the Leafs in September. Sure injuries to Stall and Ward hurt them but even if they dont pass the Leafs, they still have to win the lottery.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonSteelhawks View Post
I say Toronto regresses in the second half and we'll be picking in the top 5
After watching Taylor Hall play in this year's WJC, It is quite clear this kid is the next superstar in this league. Let's hope the leafs fall out of contention for a playoff spot and receive deals too good to pass up for Kaberle Blake and others that might help another team's run. Putting Hall on Savard's Left wing would instantly put this team at the top of the class.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrovergretzky View Post
I know you put a lot of work into this so i'd like to just add something without trying to discount anything you said. That is not my intent. But when looking at their schedule compared to what they have upcoming up until the Olympic break, their next 6 weeks or so look very difficult. In Nov and Dec, other than their unforseen domination of Washington, they have not done well against playoff teams, which they have a lot of coming up. They also have a half dozen games against Western Conference teams, who always dominate the east for some reason. In January they have 9 road games and 6 home games. In Feb 3 home to raod including back to back against NJ. Kessel is in a huge slump, 1 goal in his last 7, 2 in his last 9. Not sure if this is a lack of a set up man and teams are finally catching up to him or just a slump. Seems like their goaltending lets in a bad goal every game. They seem to have to fall behind by 2 or 3 goals before they start to play, and they can't come back every game. There are just too many issues i see in this team where they can climb out of the hole they dug themselves at the beginning of the season. And remember, they dont have to finish 30 for the B's to get first pick. It is a draft lottery and teams have lost the lottery in the past.

Again, i appreciate the work you did, but there are just too many variables to consider when predicting their position. I still believe Carolina can catch them. 10 points back, 2 games in hand and 3 games left to play against the Leafs. There aren't too many people that would have put Carolina below the Leafs in September. Sure injuries to Stall and Ward hurt them but even if they dont pass the Leafs, they still have to win the lottery.
I have to agree here. Especially with the tightness of the league standings this year, a team could easily slip from 20th to 30th in the last couple of weeks of the season or vice versa. Too early to speculate. Let's just make sure we do our part and win our last remaining 3 games against them and go from there.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
remer

The best hope we would have is Toronto moving a few players early in the year and hopefully Toronto runs into some injury issues which they really have not this year and simply collapse. That is the best thing that could happen.
As well, the 2nd part of the schedule is usually harder as teams fight for a playoff spot. Here's hoping for ta top 5 pick.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
C77

I tend to be a superstitious creature

Columbus looks like a horrible team right now because they have been on a horrible stretch. However, I think Mason will bounce back and steal some games for them.

Edmonton is bad news especially with Hemsky out. I think the Oil + the Isles are bottom 5 teams.

I think Carolina has the talent to pull off a 5 or 6 game winning streak at some point not sure if they'll improve enough though. Ward will steal a few games before the season's over.

Anaheim + St. Louis have too much talent to finish bottom 5.

Something in our favor....those games down the stretch are tough tough to win against desperate teams and hopefully the Leafs will have nothing to play for.

Old
12-31-2009, 01:57 PM
JAD

There is always the possibility that if Toronto does well during the second half moving out of the top 6 or 7 picks and that PC packages the pick to bring in a proven player for a cup run. Otherwise Toronto will most likely finish somewhere within the 2 – 7 pick range. Really what PC decides to do depends on how both Boston and Toronto play during the second half.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
PBergeron37

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrovergretzky View Post

This is good. Thank you for the post. I'm all for constructive criticism of the original thesis. Posts like this are great because they bring up additional points that I didn't focus on.

Looking at their schedule is really important, even though who they play and how that influences the outcome of the game is somewhat of a crapshoot (since the Leafs beat the Pens one night and then go and lose to Edmonton the next game; they keep beating the Caps, but then they go and lose to the Islanders; etc...). They are a very middle-of-the-road/.500 team, that can beat any team when they show up but also can lose to any team any night of the week when they come out flat.

There are a ton of variables going forward that make this a very preliminary projection. Here's hoping the tough schedule/loads of road games catch up with them.

Last point, and I think the most important one that you made is that this season is shaping up a lot like the 2006/2007 season in that there are a number of teams closely bunched together down at the bottom of the standings, and one or two wins could jump you a bunch of spots in the standings. In 2006/2007, the top 9 worst teams had: 56, 67, 68, 70, 71, 71, 73, 76, 81 points. Two more wins for the Coyotes that year and they go from the 3rd pick to the 6th pick just like that.

Still a lot of season to be played- and that's why I say this is a preliminary look. Bottom line is, if at the beginning of the year, you polled all B's fans, I think everyone would be very happy if the Leafs were in 3rd to last at the halfway point, even if they are trending somewhat upward.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
cat400

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBergeron37 View Post
The purpose of this post is to project which pick Toronto’s first rounder might amount to, and then to identify which players might be available based on a survey of draft rankings from various reputable publications (i.e.: ISS, CSB, RedLine Report, McKeen’s). This is a very preliminary projection, but I think it will be interesting for the Board to identify a group of players who might be available when the B's pick and follow these guys over the rest of their respective seasons in Junior.

It is still early, as we are only 41 games into Toronto’s season, but with every game it is becoming more apparent what kind of team they are and I think we can start to project, within 8 to 10 points or so, where they might finish at the close of the season.

Currently, the B’s would be selecting 3rd overall. But, as we all know, Toronto’s current record is misleading because of their atrocious 1-7-5 start. In the 28 games since then, Toronto has amassed a 13-11-4 record. I think this is a much clearer indication of what kind of season we can expect from Toronto going forward. I have watched a lot of their games this season and they are a decent team. Not great, but not as bad as their record indicates. If we project their 13-11-4 record out over 41 games, you are looking at a 19-16-6 record, or 44 points for the second half of the season.

If we say that 44 points is Toronto’s median point total for the second half of the season, I think it is safe to say that the odds are that they won’t finish with less than 40 points and they won’t finish with more than 48 points in the second half. Therefore, Toronto’s range is roughly 40 to 48 points in the second half of the season (more points than this would mean they are a top 10 team in the second half, which they won't be; and less points than this means they will be a bottom 5 team in the second half, which they probably won't be). If we add 40 to 48 points to their current point total, 37 points, then we can project Toronto finishing with 77 to 85 points.

If we then survey which draft pick 77 to 85 points would amount to over the past four years, we find the following:

-2009: pick in the 5 to 10 range
-2008: pick in the 4 to 9 range
-2007: pick in the 8 to 9 range
-2006: pick in the 7 to 10 range

If we take the average of those picks, we are looking at a pick in the 6 to 9 range. Most likely, providing Toronto doesn't go on a huge run in the second half, this is the range in which we will be selecting in the upcoming draft. What does that mean?

Kiss goodbye Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, and Cam Fowler. Kirill Kabanov? Hard to say. Out until February with a broken ankle. A top-4 talent, but he will essentially have missed the entire season, so he becomes hard to project. Because of his talent and willingness to play in Montcon this year/and North America in the future, I do not think he will slip out of the top 5 for us to land him.

Outside of those top 4, that means we are looking at the following group of players: at the top end there is Brandon Gormley, Mikael Granlund, and Brett Connolly. I think we’d be lucky to grab one of these three.

The next group of players probably includes, at forward: Vladimir Tarasenko (high end talent, but may slide because of an unwillingness to come to North America), John McFarland (may slide because he has been awful this year) and Alexander Burmistrov (a fast riser); and on defense: Erik Gudbranson, Derrick Forbort, and Mark Pysyk.

This is probably a disappointing projection for most of you based on Toronto’s atrocious start, but it still looks we will get a solid player, even though we won’t get a Hall, Seguin or Fowler. I think we should turn our attention from those top three guys to the next set of players: Granland, Gormley, and Connolly, while also taking a look at the other 3 young defenders (Gudbranson, Forbort, and Pysyk) – we all know that our system could use some solid top-4 ability defenders.

Again, this is a preliminary projection for how Toronto will finish. There is still a lot of season to be played. However, I do think this is a safe projection. What do you all think? If you disagree, please say why you think Toronto will finish differently. If you have any information about the prospects that I have identified as potential Bruin targets, please post as well.

Happy New Year everyone. See some of you at the Winter Classic on Friday.
A wonderful post. Thanks for taking time to crunch the numbers.

As I commented in a different thread, 2010 is shaping up like the 1987 draft where the Bruins had Vancouver's 1st round pick as part of the Pederson / Neely trade.

That year there were two elite players in Pierre Turgeron & Brendan Shanahan. For almost the entire second 1/2 of the season the Canucks were in last place (no lottery then) and the Bruins appeared destined to get the number one pick.

Unfortunately for the Bruins the Canucks won their last 3 games and ended up 2 pts ahead of Buffalo (Turgeron) & the Devils (Shanahan).

The Bruins selected Glen Wesley with the 3rd overall pick.

If the Bruins had been able to draft Shanahan, the Cup drought probably would not be 37 years and counting.

Old
12-31-2009, 02:36 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
The purpose of this post is to project which pick Toronto’s first rounder might amount to, and then to identify which players might be available based on a survey of draft rankings from various reputable publications (i.e.: ISS, CSB, RedLine Report, McKeen’s). This is a very preliminary projection, but I think it will be interesting for the Board to identify a group of players who might be available when the B's pick and follow these guys over the rest of their respective seasons in Junior.

It is still early, as we are only 41 games into Toronto’s season, but with every game it is becoming more apparent what kind of team they are and I think we can start to project, within 8 to 10 points or so, where they might finish at the close of the season.

Currently, the B’s would be selecting 3rd overall. But, as we all know, Toronto’s current record is misleading because of their atrocious 1-7-5 start. In the 28 games since then, Toronto has amassed a 13-11-4 record. I think this is a much clearer indication of what kind of season we can expect from Toronto going forward. I have watched a lot of their games this season and they are a decent team. Not great, but not as bad as their record indicates. If we project their 13-11-4 record out over 41 games, you are looking at a 19-16-6 record, or 44 points for the second half of the season.

If we say that 44 points is Toronto’s median point total for the second half of the season, I think it is safe to say that the odds are that they won’t finish with less than 40 points and they won’t finish with more than 48 points in the second half. Therefore, Toronto’s range is roughly 40 to 48 points in the second half of the season (more points than this would mean they are a top 10 team in the second half, which they won't be; and less points than this means they will be a bottom 5 team in the second half, which they probably won't be). If we add 40 to 48 points to their current point total, 37 points, then we can project Toronto finishing with 77 to 85 points.

If we then survey which draft pick 77 to 85 points would amount to over the past four years, we find the following:

-2009: pick in the 5 to 10 range
-2008: pick in the 4 to 9 range
-2007: pick in the 8 to 9 range
-2006: pick in the 7 to 10 range

If we take the average of those picks, we are looking at a pick in the 6 to 9 range. Most likely, providing Toronto doesn't go on a huge run in the second half, this is the range in which we will be selecting in the upcoming draft. What does that mean?

Kiss goodbye Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, and Cam Fowler. Kirill Kabanov? Hard to say. Out until February with a broken ankle. A top-4 talent, but he will essentially have missed the entire season, so he becomes hard to project. Because of his talent and willingness to play in Montcon this year/and North America in the future, I do not think he will slip out of the top 5 for us to land him.

Outside of those top 4, that means we are looking at the following group of players: at the top end there is Brandon Gormley, Mikael Granlund, and Brett Connolly. I think we’d be lucky to grab one of these three.

The next group of players probably includes, at forward: Vladimir Tarasenko (high end talent, but may slide because of an unwillingness to come to North America), John McFarland (may slide because he has been awful this year) and Alexander Burmistrov (a fast riser); and on defense: Erik Gudbranson, Derrick Forbort, and Mark Pysyk.

This is probably a disappointing projection for most of you based on Toronto’s atrocious start, but it still looks we will get a solid player, even though we won’t get a Hall, Seguin or Fowler. I think we should turn our attention from those top three guys to the next set of players: Granland, Gormley, and Connolly, while also taking a look at the other 3 young defenders (Gudbranson, Forbort, and Pysyk) – we all know that our system could use some solid top-4 ability defenders.

Again, this is a preliminary projection for how Toronto will finish. There is still a lot of season to be played. However, I do think this is a safe projection. What do you all think? If you disagree, please say why you think Toronto will finish differently. If you have any information about the prospects that I have identified as potential Bruin targets, please post as well.

Happy New Year everyone. See some of you at the Winter Classic on Friday.
Toronto fan here, nicely written post, but the Bruins will get a very good prospect nonetheless. I predict the Leafs will move out of the bottom 8 altogether, but we will see

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat400 View Post
A wonderful post. Thanks for taking time to crunch the numbers.

As I commented in a different thread, 2010 is shaping up like the 1987 draft where the Bruins had Vancouver's 1st round pick as part of the Pederson / Neely trade.

That year there were two elite players in Pierre Turgeron & Brendan Shanahan. For almost the entire second 1/2 of the season the Canucks were in last place (no lottery then) and the Bruins appeared destined to get the number one pick.

Unfortunately for the Bruins the Canucks won their last 3 games and ended up 2 pts ahead of Buffalo (Turgeron) & the Devils (Shanahan).

The Bruins selected Glen Wesley with the 3rd overall pick.

If the Bruins had been able to draft Shanahan, the Cup drought probably would not be 37 years and counting.
Glen Wesley was a good player though

Old
12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Mancini0518

My view on the draft is if the Bruins somehow get a top 3 pick they should go with a forward (Hall/Seguin) because they are the best players available. However, if they are picking 6-10 i think they should go with a defensemen to boost the defensive prospect pool.

Old
12-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Etienne

The wise never underestimates the Leafs' ability to sink their own ship.

Old
12-31-2009, 03:29 PM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
This is good. Thank you for the post. I'm all for constructive criticism of the original thesis. Posts like this are great because they bring up additional points that I didn't focus on.

Looking at their schedule is really important, even though who they play and how that influences the outcome of the game is somewhat of a crapshoot (since the Leafs beat the Pens one night and then go and lose to Edmonton the next game; they keep beating the Caps, but then they go and lose to the Islanders; etc...). They are a very middle-of-the-road/.500 team, that can beat any team when they show up but also can lose to any team any night of the week when they come out flat.

There are a ton of variables going forward that make this a very preliminary projection. Here's hoping the tough schedule/loads of road games catch up with them.

Last point, and I think the most important one that you made is that this season is shaping up a lot like the 2006/2007 season in that there are a number of teams closely bunched together down at the bottom of the standings, and one or two wins could jump you a bunch of spots in the standings. In 2006/2007, the top 9 worst teams had: 56, 67, 68, 70, 71, 71, 73, 76, 81 points. Two more wins for the Coyotes that year and they go from the 3rd pick to the 6th pick just like that.

Still a lot of season to be played- and that's why I say this is a preliminary look. Bottom line is, if at the beginning of the year, you polled all B's fans, I think everyone would be very happy if the Leafs were in 3rd to last at the halfway point, even if they are trending somewhat upward.
Nice to have a civil conversation. I wasn't trying to critique your original post, just add to it.And i agree with your take on how the Leafs are from night to night, team to team. Somewhat like the Bruins, you never know which one is going to show up. But, the difference between our B's and them pesky Leafs, is the Bruins are strong defensively. Yes the Leafs can score, even when Kessel isn't, but they can't keep the puck out of the net and usually, the best defense beats the best offense. Living less than 2 hours from Toronto, i see all the Leaf games, unless the Bruins are playing and i have to admit that they can be a tough team to play and beat when they are on their game. Lucky for us, that's a rarety. Hockey talk shows (TV and Radio) are almost always about the Leafs and their "problems".

A lot of people, especially Bruins fans, are really keyed on this years Toronto first pick. Don't get me wrong, i am as well. But i am also looking forward to next years. The Leafs have 17 UFA/RFA's at seasons end and are unlikely to bring most of them back. The UFA list in 2010 is not deep so i don't see the Leafs rebuilding through free agency and they don't have much in the AHL to speak of. Toskola will almost be a guarantee not to return next season and Gustavson is an RFA. They don't have any other goaltending. They lost out on Marc Savard and now turning their attention to Marleau. At least their fans are, but i'm guessing SJ resigns him. There isn't that much left to help them out. So i'm looking forward to both drafts, and, i suspect the Bruins re-sign Bergy, so they'd better look at the wing and on D. And let us not forget those 3 2nd round picks. That's a big playing card. I'm also hoping Chara takes a Savard type deal that we can do something in the offseason.

Old
01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
PBergeron37

Anyone see how Granlund looked against the US today? How about Tarasenko and Burmistrov against Switzerland? Looked like Niedereiter had a good game too. Can anyone comment on these potential Bruins draft picks? Thanks...

Old
01-02-2010, 11:12 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Anyone see how Granlund looked against the US today? How about Tarasenko and Burmistrov against Switzerland? Looked like Niedereiter had a good game too. Can anyone comment on these potential Bruins draft picks? Thanks...
I didn't see Tarasenko's goal live, but saw the replay and it was pretty sweet- beat Conz high on the shortside- put it into a postage stamp-sized window. Still, too little too late, IMO. He's obviously supremely talented, but the Russian team as a whole underachieved and we didn't get to see enough of Tarasenko at his best.

http://bruins2010draftwatch.blogspot...terfinals.html

Pretty quiet game from Finnish top prospect Mikael Granlund. Didn't see much from him all night and he hasn't had the greatest tournament. You still have to keep him among the top draft eligibles because he's competing against men in his native Finland and doing very well, but Finland needed a better performance from him tonight and didn't get it in my opinion.

USA takes on Sweden tomorrow night at 9 pm ET on the NHL Network. They'll have their work cut out for them, as Sweden is one of the tournament favorites, right up there with Canada, and like the Canadians, went undefeated in round robin play. Markstrom is a goliath in the nets and he'll be tough to solve, to say nothing of the rest of the squad, which has no real weaknesses.

In the earlier quarterfinal game, Switzerland stunned Russia with a 3-2 OT win, the first time the Swiss have ever beaten the Russkies in the WJC.

I only saw the third period, but Nino Niederreiter got the equalizing and winning goals, propelling his team to a rematch with Canada at 5 pm ET tomorrow. Niederreiter has a hard, heavy shot. It appeared one of his teammates may have deflected his OT shot past the goalie Bobkov, but Niederreiter got credit for it.

The Russians were pretty disappointing when I saw them, and their early exit from medal contention is only stating the obvious. They weren't able to get it done against Sweden, and while I saw the skills of Vladimir Tarasenko, Alexander Burmistrov and Evgeni Kuznetsov on display at times, not one of them was able to step up and be a difference-maker in that game. While it was only one 60 minute game, but based what I saw in that contest and the 20+ minutes I witnessed today, I wouldn't spend a top-10 pick on any of those guys.

Old
01-02-2010, 11:16 PM
djmatty
Single for DET/BOS

this pick will result in Kovalchuk.

I am saying this based on absolutely nothing other than something that I am pulling out of my butt is just as likely as any other prediction in this thread.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:29 PM
neelynugs

would be interesting to take a look at this in 5 game intervals.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:37 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
would be interesting to take a look at this in 5 game intervals.
you mean the frequency of kessel's goals as of late

Old
01-08-2010, 08:38 PM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty59 View Post
you mean the frequency of kessel's goals as of late
no...obviously that would be 10 game intervals according to coach USA.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:46 PM
patty59

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
no...obviously that would be 10 game intervals according to coach USA.
well maybe he'll pick up to 1 in 5.

it's looking better and better that this will be in the top 5. the only thing that would make it better is if the draft was in t.o.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:47 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

IMO the pick will be 4-6 aka higher than what we've had when we actually had picks.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Seguins Dragon*

regardless where the pick is, i want to see us move up... top 3...

If we are 7 or 8 i say trade..

Tor 2010 + Bos 1st 2010+ Tampa's 2nd 2010

Its steep, but everyone seems to agree there is a gap with the talent there, our 1st rounder will be high teens, low 20's anyways, and we still have Tor 2010 2nd

Maybe its too much, not sure... but than again, I think we should target Hall...

He is a crusher... total work horse, very impressed with him.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:22 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Anyone have any idea how many Leafs made Olympic teams? I'm saying top 5 although if they move Kaberle and a few decent parts they could be closer to one. I believe Burke would pass on a good future trade for short term loss to avoid giving the Bruins Hall or Fowler.

Leafs lose tonight and have Pens at home tomorrow- revenge game hopefully for Pitt. Would be a nice hockey day to see the Bruins beat the Rags and the Leafs lose the weekend.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:23 PM
DaveFromNB

Carolina is now 8 points behind the Leafs, have 2 games in hand, I haven't given up on the Leafs finishing dead last. With all the UFA's they have, it's not out of the question that they'll do a monumental dump of pending UFA's before the trading deadline.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Beesfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFromNB View Post
Carolina is now 8 points behind the Leafs, have 2 games in hand, I haven't given up on the Leafs finishing dead last. With all the UFA's they have, it's not out of the question that they'll do a monumental dump of pending UFA's before the trading deadline.
Yup. Leafs are fading right now, while everyone else is treading water. I expect the tide will turn again at some point, but this slump indicates the terrrible start was not just a fluke.

Carolina is in a big hole, and Edmonton and Columbus are both terrible. However, Toronto just needs to finish behind ONE of these teams for us to get a bonafide superstar.

Old
01-08-2010, 09:42 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

On hockeycentral a couple of day ago they speculated that Burke may be willing to trade Kaberle to try to get a first rounder back (if they are out of the playoff race that is). Hagman may also go for a pick/prospect.

Burke has said all along that he doesn't look at what assets the other team gets in a trade, but what they get (Kessel). Yes this might be GM speak and he definitely wouldn't want the B's to land a lottery pick, but word is that this season has been an eye-opener for Burke. He may have overestimated this team and may look to a restocking of picks/prospects for a rebuild.

If Burkie does unload and go into a full rebuilding mode - the Bruins could be sitting pretty.

Closed Thread