HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it possible to cut our losses w Brashear?

Old
12-31-2009, 10:25 AM
AllNYteams

vCash: 500
Is it possible to cut our losses w Brashear?

Brashear has played 29 games this season and has 6 fights. This fight total is very low in comparison to other enforcers. Brashear was given over nine minutes last night. He has been put on the 3rd line as a Ranger. The way that Torts uses Brashear is a detriment to the Rangers. It would be better to just cut him and cut our losses w him. He is a washed up 38 year old ex-enforcer who creates turnovers for the other team and is too slow to play in the NHL and probably AHL as well.
Is there any way to cut ties w him and call up someone from the AHL who is hungry to play and who might add to the team? Or to trade him and get someone better. Brashear has had plenty of opportunities to add spark when needed. He fails to do so. We need to get someone who can and will. I know that we cannot get Colton Orr back, but maybe something we can get someone else. I don't want to watch this guy the next year and a half.

AllNYteams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:28 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
The Rangers are up against the NHL limit on contracts. They don't have anyone ready to fill the role in Hartford. Mike Hoffman is a very solid hockey player and great enforcer but is signed to a aHL deal. Brashear was injured in 2 fights this year and that has hampered his totals. He isn't the best but he isn't going anywhere

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hated this signing too.

hes one of those players that even if you waive him, he counts against the cap for next year as well.

only way to get rid of him is to trade him. hes still got a good fighters rep, i think someone would take a flyer on him for a 5th rounder.

IMHO fighting isnt all that important in the NHL anymore..its much more important to have bangers..ideally in the new NHL youd like your 4th line to be 3 guys who can throw their bodies around and kill penalties. fighting isnt really much of a detriment anymore...not with the instigator rule.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:34 AM
howztheglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNYteams View Post
Brashear has played 29 games this season and has 6 fights. This fight total is very low in comparison to other enforcers. Brashear was given over nine minutes last night. He has been put on the 3rd line as a Ranger. The way that Torts uses Brashear is a detriment to the Rangers. It would be better to just cut him and cut our losses w him. He is a washed up 38 year old ex-enforcer who creates turnovers for the other team and is too slow to play in the NHL and probably AHL as well.
Is there any way to cut ties w him and call up someone from the AHL who is hungry to play and who might add to the team? Or to trade him and get someone better. Brashear has had plenty of opportunities to add spark when needed. He fails to do so. We need to get someone who can and will. I know that we cannot get Colton Orr back, but maybe something we can get someone else. I don't want to watch this guy the next year and a half.
He got old very fast---how in the world did Sather give him a 2 years contract.

Send him Voros and Crusher to Hartford and bring back Byers--you know what while Sather at it send,

Redden
Rosi

Along for the ride--man this team is starting to look really bad.

howztheglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
broadwayblue

HATED this signing at the time...just as much if not more so now. This guy has provided NOTHING so far. So psyched we have him for another year too!

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Brash's Cap Hit w/ Rangers - $1.4 million

Brash's Cap Hit w/ Pack - $1.3 million

Sending him down only saves us $100k. It was mentioned a while back. Part of the 35+ rule for contracts.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howztheglass View Post
Send him Voros and Crusher to Hartford and bring back Byers--you know what while Sather at it send,
That won't matter. Brashear is on the books whether he's waived or retires. We'll be paying him next year whether he plays or not. The only way to get rid of him is to trade him, and that's just not happening.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:41 AM
CaptainObvi0us
HFB Partner

Trust me, I know the need to have an enforcer in the lineup. But, Brashear is no longer the solution. Sure, when he decides to go, he can still throw them but the problem is those times are few & far between.

I'm so sick of Brashear at this point it's not even funny. He does nothing. You're playing the Flyers @ MSG, getting demolished and yet he does dick all night except turn the puck over for easy Flyer goals.

The whole team was awful, don't get me wrong. But, Brashear needs to at least make an effort. Send a message. You let the Flyers come into MSG & steam roll you with no response whatsoever.

Carcillo was talking **** at one point and Brashear just looked at him. Are you kidding me?

CaptainObvi0us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Loffen
Hadouken!

I'd definatley like that... He's a waste of a roster-spot for the most part.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I liked the move to bring him in, though the two year deal was questionable.

I've been disappointed with Brashear's overall play. He has not been the player I saw even last season while with Washington. Not sure what happened.

But anyway, we're pretty much stuck with him now.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:00 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
There are much bigger issues at hand, and the only way to get rid of Brashear is in a trade, or maybe a buyout.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:01 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

I've been disappointed with Brashear's overall play. He has not been the player I saw even last season while with Washington. Not sure what happened.

im wondering what his injury is...hes been hurt for pretty much the whole season, and hes even missed games for it, but they seem to be very vague about it.

Old
12-31-2009, 11:02 AM
ThirdEye

I didn't think the signing was that bad. But then I didn't realize how horribly he has decline.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:04 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
im wondering what his injury is...hes been hurt for pretty much the whole season, and hes even missed games for it, but they seem to be very vague about it.
It's got to be something that would make him vulnerable or something that could be re-injured when fighting for them to be THIS quiet about it.

Old
12-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
It's got to be something that would make him vulnerable or something that could be re-injured when fighting for them to be THIS quiet about it.
im thinking its abdominal in nature...remember when he took those gut shots and almost keeled over in that fight?

Old
12-31-2009, 11:16 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Our 4th line is terrible. Last year, our 4th line was defensively responsible enough that they could be put out at the end of the game to protect a lead. They couldn't score, but they could forecheck well enough to put some pressure on the other team.

This year's version constantly gets pinned in their own end and is too slow to beat the other team to the puck. They don't win many battles along the boards. I cringe every time I see Brashear on the ice.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:22 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Our 4th line is terrible. Last year, our 4th line was defensively responsible enough that they could be put out at the end of the game to protect a lead. They couldn't score, but they could forecheck well enough to put some pressure on the other team.

This year's version constantly gets pinned in their own end and is too slow to beat the other team to the puck. They don't win many battles along the boards. I cringe every time I see Brashear on the ice.
While I don't think our 4th line this year is good defensively, I strongly disagree about your assessment of spending time in our own end and losing battles. This 4th line, regardless of when it's been a combo of the following: Boyle, Anisimov, Voros, Brashear, Kotalik, Lisin, has been good when it comes to cycling the puck and maintaining offensive zone pressure. The problem really lies with a handful of things. They rarely create quality scoring chances despite spending time in the offensive zone, they get caught a lot, and when they are in their own end, they're horrible positionally, and I'll agree they do get pinned in their own zone from time to time.

Old
12-31-2009, 11:30 AM
satrabyk

Once again this is the fact that Ranger fans do not see that Brasher did not give himslef his contract. He did not decide to let Orr walk for less money. He simply was signed by the devil, and quite frankly was never really given a chance to succeed. From day 1 people were already on his case, no one gave him any support for good things he did. This is the type of things that costs are team. How can a guy do well in those circumstances.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan View Post
Trust me, I know the need to have an enforcer in the lineup. But, Brashear is no longer the solution. Sure, when he decides to go, he can still throw them but the problem is those times are few & far between.

I'm so sick of Brashear at this point it's not even funny. He does nothing. You're playing the Flyers @ MSG, getting demolished and yet he does dick all night except turn the puck over for easy Flyer goals.

The whole team was awful, don't get me wrong. But, Brashear needs to at least make an effort. Send a message. You let the Flyers come into MSG & steam roll you with no response whatsoever.

Carcillo was talking **** at one point and Brashear just looked at him. Are you kidding me?
It is difficult for the guy to show any emotion when so quickly in the game the general feelings was already totally dead. The guy has been bood in his own rink at the start of the season. What would a fight have done in that situation. Nothing because the team had nothing going for them, every single player looked like they wanted the game done ASAP for some reason and had no fight to make a comeback. Ill tell you what that is not a good sign. The simple fact is Orr should have been kept, Betts should have been kept, and Brasher should not have been signed. Just yell Fire Sather! whenever you are not happy with Brasher on the ice or any other player.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

He cant even handle a simple pass... hes done nothing, absolutely nothing for this club.

I would take any forward from the Pack and put them in the lineup instead of him.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
RangerFan10

I'm not going to yell Fire Sather about not keeping Orr or Betts, nor am I going to yell Fire Sather about signing Brashear to replace one.

And I personally like Boyle more than Betts at this point, and he makes the same dollar amount.

If you're going to get pissed at the job Sather is doing, lets talk about signing Kotalik to 3 years 9 mil with a NTC, Drury's contract, Redden and Roszival's contracts, expecting this team to have secondary scoring with this roster while letting Antropov and Zherdev walk for a little more than what he gave to Kotalik...I'm even kind of skeptical of why we gave Matt Gilroy his contract at this point...with the talent we already have in the system on defense, why waste the money on Gilroy? Seems like more of a marketing thing to sell jerseys of the North Bellmore kid than anything else.

His failure at securing a center worthy of playing on the 1st line WITH whatever wingers are there(Gomez, IMO, is a fringe 1st line center...but he never worked with Jagr...didn't always work with Zherdev...) and bring in either a top defenseman or at least a defenseman that was a shutdown guy makes me really dislike the guy.

I also sympathize for Sather because I understand Dolan expects playoffs every year and this affects the way Sather has to work. Sather is in an awkward position, he can't strictly build for the future. He has to build for the present and the future. He's managed to at least not give up any young assets worth keeping, to the point where I think he's almost too hesitant to deal them (I think Grachev's value was probably higher before he hit the AHL, Anisimov's value was probably higher last year than now, and I'm surprised we still have all of the defensive prospects we do...I figured one of them not named Del Zotto would've been dealt by now.)

Old
12-31-2009, 11:44 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Brash's Cap Hit w/ Rangers - $1.4 million

Brash's Cap Hit w/ Pack - $1.3 million

Sending him down only saves us $100k. It was mentioned a while back. Part of the 35+ rule for contracts.
I think for one yr left on the contract they would be able to move him for a late pick, whatever just to rid themselves of the contract

I think it's best for this team to move Higgins, Prospal, Brashear, Voros, Rozy and the list goes on............just start from scratch next yr. Although I rather see them make the playoffs its likely best if they suck and trade at the deadline

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:49 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I don't blame Brashear. He's been around a long time. He knows the deal. Why fight for a bunch of guys who don't give a ****?

There was a shift last night where Brash and Carcillo came together and were both like eh why bother?

Don't blame him one bit.

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:50 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

My thoughts exactly. I don't get it. He was fairly effective last year. He really just looks like he doesn't give a ****, which pisses me off. I'd like to see Avery stop picking on stiffs like Malik or whoever and try getting in Brashear's face to fire his ass up. Lazy bum.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 11:55 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I'm not going to yell Fire Sather about not keeping Orr or Betts, nor am I going to yell Fire Sather about signing Brashear to replace one.

And I personally like Boyle more than Betts at this point, and he makes the same dollar amount.

If you're going to get pissed at the job Sather is doing, lets talk about signing Kotalik to 3 years 9 mil with a NTC, Drury's contract, Redden and Roszival's contracts, expecting this team to have secondary scoring with this roster while letting Antropov and Zherdev walk for a little more than what he gave to Kotalik...I'm even kind of skeptical of why we gave Matt Gilroy his contract at this point...with the talent we already have in the system on defense, why waste the money on Gilroy? Seems like more of a marketing thing to sell jerseys of the North Bellmore kid than anything else.

His failure at securing a center worthy of playing on the 1st line WITH whatever wingers are there(Gomez, IMO, is a fringe 1st line center...but he never worked with Jagr...didn't always work with Zherdev...) and bring in either a top defenseman or at least a defenseman that was a shutdown guy makes me really dislike the guy.

I also sympathize for Sather because I understand Dolan expects playoffs every year and this affects the way Sather has to work. Sather is in an awkward position, he can't strictly build for the future. He has to build for the present and the future. He's managed to at least not give up any young assets worth keeping, to the point where I think he's almost too hesitant to deal them (I think Grachev's value was probably higher before he hit the AHL, Anisimov's value was probably higher last year than now, and I'm surprised we still have all of the defensive prospects we do...I figured one of them not named Del Zotto would've been dealt by now.)

Oh stop! Sather gets a free pass from Dolan. Dolan can give rats ass what Sather does. I mean sure he would love for the Rangers to be in the playoffs to put money in his pocket. But for the most part he doesn't care.
The Knicks have gone years without making the playoffs but Isaiah wasn't close to being fired. Isaiah got free reign to do whatever the hell he wanted with the Knicks. And I don't see Dolan getting in the way of Donnie Walsh while he purposely missed the playoffs last year and may this year.
One thing about Dolan, he lets the GM/executive do what he wants without interference. The problem is he hires the wrong people. And when they need to be fired he takes waaaaayyyyy too long to can them.
Sather can rebuild if he wants. Without answering to anyone. Thing is for some reason he refuses to do an all out rebuilding. Ego perhaps?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote