HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL: Boucher's philosophy paying off

Old
12-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
AHL: Boucher's philosophy paying off

http://theahl.com/bouchers-philosoph...ng-off-p139835

I'm really excited about Boucher possibly coaching this team down the road. Seems like a great guy to have behind the bench. I'd be perfectly fine with him being groomed as our next coach.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

He's a great coach in the becoming...got praise from god damn Scotty Bowman!

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Nice read.

A smart man.

Don't forget that unlike a prospect, the organization does not hold his rights...

Boucher could very well be nabbed by Burke and be coaching the Leafs next year.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:22 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Nice read.

A smart man.

Don't forget that unlike a prospect, the organization does not hold his rights...

Sacrebleu! Please NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2009, 10:48 PM
Bowzer

Quote:
Nice read.

A smart man.

What do you mean we don't hold his rights? Bob Gainey signed him to be the coach of Hamilton, so that means we hold his rights, unless there is some type of escape clause put in his contract.

A contract is a contract, and if some other teams want to acquire him that means compensation for the organization, and it better be a good one at that. In 2yrs time I believe he will coaching the Habs or some other team.

Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:07 AM
not quite yoda

i really wish that he is out next head coach, i can t wait to see what he accomplishes at the nhl level.

unfortunately i have a feeling the "experienced" martin will remain our coach for a while and boucher may very well get a job elsewhere sooner rather than later.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:13 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Nice read.

A smart man.

Didn't colorado already try to nab him for an assistant coaching position or am i thinking of something else?

I think boucher knows where he's headed, it's no secret that he'll be our coach one day. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to rush things, seems pretty principle-based, so we'll be fine.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:47 AM
Habs514

Great Article, thanks. The way he communicates with his players sounds like Carbo I see him coaching in Montreal down the line.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:26 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
http://theahl.com/bouchers-philosoph...ng-off-p139835

I'm really excited about Boucher possibly coaching this team down the road. Seems like a great guy to have behind the bench. I'd be perfectly fine with him being groomed as our next coach.
Yeah, well he may be a good one. But I have seen many guys to well in Q and AHL before and were good but not for us. Claude Julien had some good years coaching in Hull, even won a Memorial Cup. Coached well for Hamilton, done well in NHL but been fired twice. Once by us

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:04 AM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNick42 View Post
Yeah, well he may be a good one. But I have seen many guys to well in Q and AHL before and were good but not for us. Claude Julien had some good years coaching in Hull, even won a Memorial Cup. Coached well for Hamilton, done well in NHL but been fired twice. Once by us
What does being fired have to do with being a good coach?

The answer?

*drumroll*

Nothing.

Sorry I'm being rude I blame alcohol poisoning from new years. Julien wasn't Gainey's man, plain and simple. He did not fit the vision our GM and was canned in favor of yet an other failed experiment until JM came along. Don't take hirings/firings too seriously, there are plenty of good coaches out there not in the NHL, and yes, Boucher is one.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:54 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Nice read.

A smart man.

That's where your wrong. If he is under contract with the Habs he is Montreal property, any team wanting to interview or hire Boucher would need approval first.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 10:05 AM
willalong

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
i really wish that he is out next head coach, i can t wait to see what he accomplishes at the nhl level.

unfortunately i have a feeling the "experienced" martin will remain our coach for a while and boucher may very well get a job elsewhere sooner rather than later.
How about J.M and Boucher for assistant for a while, down the road. Why throw J.M. under the bus, Boucher has plenty of time to develop

willalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:12 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by willalong View Post
How about J.M and Boucher for assistant for a while, down the road. Why throw J.M. under the bus, Boucher has plenty of time to develop
I definitely wouldn't mind Boucher coming in as an assistant coach before he took over as head coach.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Lizard King*

He seems to be working wonders with our AHL team I'm pretty sure he could be a great NHL coach somewhere down the line

Lizard King* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
kostitsyn1489

What I find funny is thta his philosophy is about 100% the opposite of what everybody here thinks, but people absolutely love him.

'This player is so selfish he should think team first' mentality that we have on hfboards.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
What I find funny is thta his philosophy is about 100% the opposite of what everybody here thinks, but people absolutely love him.

'This player is so selfish he should think team first' mentality that we have on hfboards.
So true. Fact is it's the best way to handle players now that the NHL is just a big business.

Team Spirit usually only matters once you get into the playoffs.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
That's where your wrong. If he is under contract with the Habs he is Montreal property, any team wanting to interview or hire Boucher would need approval first.
True, but the Habs would never forbid him to step up. Pretty strong tradition that is someone has a chance to move forward, you let them.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post

I understand your point, but I don't think that's the way Boucher means it.

I compare his "coaching philosophy" to some HR philosophies that I read about that put the emphasis on adapting to workplace to each individuals instead of trying to force employees to "fit" in the business model, i.e. how traditional HR is being performed.

Some businesses have a corporate model, and they make sure each of their employees adhere to it. So they implements dress codes, behavioral codes, etc. They "standardize" their employees. The HR department of such a business is geared toward handling the cases of employees who don't conform to these standards.

Other address their HR issues the other way around: they work hard attracting talented individuals and keeping them, catering to their individual exceptions. Instead of working to make them all fit the same mold, they work hard at retaining the best of them for as long as they possible. Their HR department will be geared towards answering the employee's expectations of the corporation instead of the opposite. Businesses working like that are obviously those that depends heavily on their employee's talent as opposed to business processes.

Obviously, these are two extremes. I'm sure Boucher also stress stuff like devotion to the team etc. But I still find his approach interesting (assuming I'm right in interpreting what he said).

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
True, but the Habs would never forbid him to step up. Pretty strong tradition that is someone has a chance to move forward, you let them.
True, but that's within reason. I doubt the habs would let him go easily if another team is interested, say, next summer. Now, if JM is canned in two seasons and Boucher doesn't get the gig, that's completely different.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:03 PM
NHLcrazy

“I truly believe that players will care about what you say only if you care about them,” Boucher says.

That is so true in sports but also in all aspects of life...

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:41 PM
vik352

vCash: 50
How many years is he signed in Hamilton ?

vik352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:42 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

I compare his "coaching philosophy" to some HR philosophies that I read about that put the emphasis on adapting to workplace to each individuals instead of trying to force employees to "fit" in the business model, i.e. how traditional HR is being performed.

Some businesses have a corporate model, and they make sure each of their employees adhere to it. So they implements dress codes, behavioral codes, etc. They "standardize" their employees. The HR department of such a business is geared toward handling the cases of employees who don't conform to these standards.

Other address their HR issues the other way around: they work hard attracting talented individuals and keeping them, catering to their individual exceptions. Instead of working to make them all fit the same mold, they work hard at retaining the best of them for as long as they possible. Their HR department will be geared towards answering the employee's expectations of the corporation instead of the opposite. Businesses working like that are obviously those that depends heavily on their employee's talent as opposed to business processes.

Obviously, these are two extremes. I'm sure Boucher also stress stuff like devotion to the team etc. But I still find his approach interesting (assuming I'm right in interpreting what he said).
Yeah, I've just been criticized since basically forever for thinking more like, you gotta have 20 happy individuals to have a good team spirit. And well I'm not even sure half the people liking Boucher even understands his philosophy, but they still like him even if he thinks 100% the opposite of how a team should be ran...

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:44 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik352 View Post
How many years is he signed in Hamilton ?
His contract has probably no value if he get an NHL offer.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

and yet ppl ridiculed me for suggesting that JM had to work around Latendresse's footspeed issues rather than trying to force him to play a game he isn't suited for... maybe I'm Boucher

Maybe B can teach JM that the square peg does not belong in the round hole

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

He's probably no stranger to PK's progression. After getting only 3 points in his first 10 AHL games, Subban has 21 points in his last 25 games. He has a whopping +23 in 35 games (as a ROOKIE) and is only 2 points behind the top dmen for points in the AHL, and at his present pace, he could very well overtake the first place. Hamilton's success has come quickly under Boucher. Makes one wonder what he has in store for us in the near future.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote