HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Gaining 25lbs?

Old
01-02-2010, 04:28 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Personally, I think squats are a little safer but you still really need to be careful with technique. Knee injuries are possible if you really aren't sure of it 100%. I think the best thing for hockey is plyometrics, and if you need to gain weight, do it very gradually, with a better focus on less intensity weight and more reps. That's a good idea for long-term lean mass, but takes more time.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:43 PM
noobman

6'1 and 165lb at age 14 is a good playing weight. I'd be surprised if you weren't one of the biggest and heaviest guys on your team.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Bankers Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforthegame View Post
I've decided my workouts are going to be strength training and plyometrics. Does anyone have any good plyo's for me to do?

My stats are as follows: I tested on January 1st, will update them in 3 or 6 months.

Bench Press: 175lbs max
Squat: 295lbs max, this is with really good form, I could do more if not using form
Deadlift: 260lbs, I have stop doing these for the time being.
Mile Run: 4:31, I won't update this stat as I'm going to be starting up sprinting, even though I was pretty good long distance running. It kills muscle and I would say sprints are definitly more suited for hockey. I won't update this stat as I'm done long distance for now. Btw I really hate doing the 400m sprint, 100m and 200m are okay, but 400m is killer.
This number seems a little off if remember my times correctly. When i was 13 (12 years ago) I traveled all over the U.S. for track&field and actually placed 9th in the nation in the mile run for the Jr. Olympics. I'm almost positive that my time was like 5:00 or close to that. Hard to believe that u beat this time by around 30 seconds...unless you train extensively for the mile, I think your timing has to be off.

Bankers Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
milkshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankers Box View Post
This number seems a little off if remember my times correctly. When i was 13 (12 years ago) I traveled all over the U.S. for track&field and actually placed 9th in the nation in the mile run for the Jr. Olympics. I'm almost positive that my time was like 5:00 or close to that. Hard to believe that u beat this time by around 30 seconds...unless you train extensively for the mile, I think your timing has to be off.
Dont want to come across as bragging, but I came third at the Ontario provincials last year in the 13-14 age catagory for cross country running.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
6'1 and 165lb at age 14 is a good playing weight. I'd be surprised if you weren't one of the biggest and heaviest guys on your team.
Cripes .... 6ft 1in at 14. he has more height to grow too and will probably be 6ft 6in or more.

At 15 I grew about a foot in one year. I had terrible knee and joint pain though for that year and a half.

This guy is gonna be a tall one if that happens to him .... 6ft 1in at 14! man!

He will easily be at least 6ft 6in if not more.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:58 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Cripes .... 6ft 1in at 14. he has more height to grow too and will probably be 6ft 6in or more.

At 15 I grew about a foot in one year. I had terrible knee and joint pain though for that year and a half.

I had a friend who was 6'1 at 14 and never got any taller, grew maybe a half inch more ever...

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
milkshow

I have a brother who is 6'5" and apparently I'm a good inch or two bigger than he was at my age.

milkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:21 PM
ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
6 1, 165 lbs at 14 sounds like you're already big for your age.
Agreed! Hit the plyometrics and foot speed. You're probably already bigger/stronger than most the kids you play with.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

Well to be fair, I was about 6 feet on the dot at age 14, and I only grew to be about 6'2... though I've gotten a little taller, and may actually be 6'3 now (here's hoping!) Of course, I was plagued with medical illnesses which could have in all likelihood stunted my growth (according to the docs, it limited my muscle development).

I think what's more impressive is his muscle mass at that age... I know some guys my age (21, not athletes) who are about the same height, and weigh in at a meager 120-140lb.

Stay healthy and you'll be a giant... just remember to protect those knees!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd just talk to your coach and do what he says.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote