HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time Warner/Fox Agreement Reached!

Old
12-19-2009, 04:47 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 500
Time Warner/Fox Agreement Reached!

I just read this, they better get that **** figured out. Not only no kings but all local sports gone, plus shows on Channel 11(American Idol, 24, etc.)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,5347492.story

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

No Kings, Angels and Fox News would be enough to get me to switch to DirecTV.

Hopefully this gets resolved for all you fans with TW Cable...I guess I should be happy with my friend in the digital age, Cox Communications (never thought I would say that)

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 05:43 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Hopefully this gets resolved for all you fans with TW Cable...I guess I should be happy with my friend in the digital age, Cox Communications (never thought I would say that)
If your gonna switch, I would look into to Dish Network. . DirecTV has been crappy lately with the Versus channel problem & not broadcasting Canadian HD feeds, might be something to keep in mind. . . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Glad i have DirecTV.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Time Warner is a piece of ****, but there's no way they drop Fox. They would lose so many subscribers.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:11 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Yeah I remember last year around the same time they had this problem with Viacom I think. They would have lost MTV, Comedy Central and a bunch of other channels but came to an agreement. But they would lose a ton of customers if they did this.

Old
12-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Time Warner is a piece of ****, but there's no way they drop Fox. They would lose so many subscribers.
I would walk on Jan 2 if TWC drops Fox.

I'm fairly certain a deal will get worked out though.

I would be ****** about having to take an extra vacation day to stay home for the new dish guy to set up new service.

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:20 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
first time warner says no to nfl network... now this crap!!! if true, Direct tv here I come...

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Go with Dish Network. They are great, and the BEST technology currently available.
And no, I dont own stock.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
lol @ missing Fox News

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Fropitar

If you have TW I suggest switching even if Fox is not dropped. TWC is such a pos company. I tried to cancel my service a year ago to switch to U-Verse and they gave me HELL. They charged me for months afterward claiming I never canceled my service and never returned my equipment (which I did, in person at the local office). They threatened to send me to debt collectors for etc.. When I googled about "canceling time warner cable" It turns out a WHOLE LOT of other people have had the exact same experience. F TWC.

... thank you for letting me vent.

Fropitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2009, 08:24 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

what are some price ranges of other cable providers? Preferably that offer HD especially for FSN and Prime ticket(I need my hockey in HD)

Old
12-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
what are some price ranges of other cable providers? Preferably that offer HD especially for FSN and Prime ticket(I need my hockey in HD)
Charter Communications

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2009, 01:50 AM
jfont

Awards:
I subscribed only to get internet from TW. Had a deal thats $30 per month...Now its close to $50.

Any other internet providers out there thats decent pricewise?

12-22-2009, 07:25 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I posted this for someone elsewhere and figured some folks who are looking at switching to DirecTV will find this useful here as well for price comparison purposes.

I've been with DirecTV for 14 years now so if you have DirecTV questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Others who have Dish Network or AT&T U-verse I'm sure can chime in as well.

Any potential new DirecTV customer who mentions they are a TimeWarner subscriber now with HD DVR's and want to switch to DirecTV with no out of pocket expenses for hardware will get it along with programming package discounts (often HD access free for a year and some number of months of free movie channels, etc.) in exchange for a multi-year (usually 2-3 year) commitment. Just insist on HD DVR hardware for all of your TV's for free. Note the HD boxes and software are light years ahead of anything TimeWarner provides you now.

Current DirecTV packages:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global...oternavtype=-1

Channel comparisons: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/compar...geType=ENGLISH

$29.99 / Family - does NOT include FSW/FSPT

$39.99 / Select (Not advertised on the DirecTV website but is offered if you ask for it - includes 117 of the most popular channels. USA, ESPN/ESPN2, etc.) - does NOT include FSW/FSPT

$55.99 / Choice - DOES Include FSW/FSPT; Does NOT include NHL Network

$60.99 / Choice Extra - DOES Include FSW/FSPT AND NHL Network

$73.98 / Choice Extra w/ 1 premium (not HBO)

$84.99 / Choice Extra w/ 2 premiums (not HBO)

$94.99 / Choice Extra w/ 3 premiums (not HBO)

$105.99/ Choice Extra w/ 4 premiums (not HBO)

$109.99/ Premier (includes every standard and premium channel DirecTV offers; all movie channels and all sports channels)

Most people go with Choice or Choice Extra.

Extra monthly fees:

$10/mo for HD access which gives you HD versions of all the HD channels you subscribe to.

$6 total per month for DVR service which covers all DVR's. If you have 2 DVR's, it's still $6. 4? Still $6. (TimeWarner's DVR fee goes up substantially with each additional DVR box in house.) DirecTV DVR fee includes web-based remote DVR scheduling as well as iPhone app scheduling.

$5/mo for each additional receiver beyond your primary receiver. If you have 2 receivers in your house, it's $5/mo. 3 receivers is $10/mo and so on.

----

An example:

If you have 3 TV's and you want the Choice Extra package and 3 HD DVR's for all of them, It'll run you monthly:

$60.99 Choice Extra package + $10 receiver fee (3 receivers total) + $10 HD access + $6 DVR fee = $86.99 a month - all before any discounts. New subscribers will get substantial discounts off of this monthly fee in exchange for a 2-3 year programming commitment.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 12-22-2009 at 08:22 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Defgarden

I'll be steaming mad if they drop FOX Sports. I wonder what other services I'll have available for internet. I don't have a phone line and refuse to use DSL, so I'm not sure I have a choice when it comes to cable internet. UGH!

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:53 PM
SLang

Don't know if you guys saw last week, there was a Ducks game that was televised on CI using the closed circuit stadium feed and it patched in the Ducks radio announcing team. I was told by someone high up that this was a test for just the possibility of what's being discussed in this thread.

BTW...this situation with Fox vs. TW is just the tip of the iceberg.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:05 PM
Defgarden

Damn. Looks like my apartment community is not part of the Loma Linda Fiber Optic upgrade system. Fair enough anyway, I have to move out of thise place. It's quaint...but...well yea.

Tony, do you know of any way to add FSW/FSPT to any of the lower priced packages? To be quite honest, the only reason I even watch TV is for Kings games and a few shows on Discovery/History/Science Channel. All the other shows that my wife and I would even want to watch we could get through streaming on Netflix or other means. I'd rather not pay for a package I won't use if I could get around it.

Old
12-22-2009, 08:15 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Don't know if you guys saw last week, there was a Ducks game that was televised on CI using the closed circuit stadium feed and it patched in the Ducks radio announcing team. I was told by someone high up that this was a test for just the possibility of what's being discussed in this thread.

BTW...this situation with Fox vs. TW is just the tip of the iceberg.
That's interesting, although it should be noted that FSN and FSPT will still broadcast the Ducks and Kings games for all other providers. It's not like FSN and FSPT will stop broadcasting altogether if TimeWarner doesn't renew its contract with Fox.

Old
12-22-2009, 08:20 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defgarden View Post
Tony, do you know of any way to add FSW/FSPT to any of the lower priced packages? To be quite honest, the only reason I even watch TV is for Kings games and a few shows on Discovery/History/Science Channel.
Yes... you can add the Sports Pack to any package, which includes all regional RSN's carried by DirecTV. It's $12.99/mo. You would need to check with DirecTV to see if the 3 channels you mentioned are available in the "Select" package that is not advertised. The Family package doesn't include them. The thing is, once you add the sports back with the Select package, you're only $3 away from the Choice package which includes FSN/FSPT. Not much of a deal there, but $3 is $3 if that is a factor for you.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 12-22-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Kingjordan

Anyone know if Verizon Fios is any good??

Seems like a good deal. cable, Phone, and internet for $99

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Yes... you can add the Sports Pack to any package, which includes all regional RSN's carried by DirecTV. It's $12.99/mo. So you could do Family + Sports for $42.98, for example.
I guess that's not too bad. Although I really don't need all the other sports channels, it would be kinda nice to flip on other hockey games from time to time.

On the other hand, I could just cancel TV altogether, and simply keep the internet, and just watch streaming games online. Gamecenter seems a little pricey considering I don't really think I'd use all the perks (or would really appreciate all of them fully). Meh. What a bunch of crap eh.

Old
12-22-2009, 08:50 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Go with Dish Network. They are great, and the BEST technology currently available.
And no, I dont own stock.
Yes sir. I dropped Time Warner a LONG time ago and switched to Dish. It's great.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:52 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Anyone know if Verizon Fios is any good??

Seems like a good deal. cable, Phone, and internet for $99
It's very good if you can get it in your area. The internet is the fastest available and from what I hear the picture quality is on par with DirecTV (FIOS and DirecTV are considered to have the best PQ available). Some FIOS specifics:

- FIOS uses InDEMAND for Center Ice - the same as cable. If you subscribe to Center Ice, you get the same HD broadcasts that cable does. DirecTV and DISH have agreements with RSN's nationwide, so their Center Ice packages pull the HD feeds from every RSN that is offering them. Cable/FIOS can only have a maximum of 2-4 HD hockey games per night available vs. DirecTV or DISH which offers most Center Ice games in HD (not all - some networks like MSG HD and ComCast Philadelphia HD are not available to DirecTV presently).

Here's the DirecTV's Center Ice schedule - you can see how many games are in HD on any given night: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/conten.../nhl_schedules

- The FIOS DVR hardware is the same Motorola boxes that TimeWarner uses. 160GB drives, non expandable. There are rumors new 320GB hardware is coming for FIOS, but nothing definitive yet. If you record a lot of HD sports, those 160GB drives will fill up rather quickly depending on the compression used.

FWIW - DirecTV's DVR's have 500GB drives standard and are expandable via eSATA to the largest size drive you can find. One drawback though - external drives replace the internal storage on the DirecTV boxes - they don't add to it, so if you have a 1TB external drive, that's the storage you get - not 1.5TB.

The bundle deals (TV, internet, phone) with FIOS are comparable to TimeWarner's in terms of cost but you'll get vastly improved picture quality (particularly with HD) and much faster internet. DirecTV or DISH can't really compete with the TV + Phone + Internet deals that TWC and FIOS have.

Old
12-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

We shopped and I am cheap but expect every bang for my buck

I have had Dish Network in the past and nothing but problems.

We had TW and got sick of all the issues with them. Except for on-demand, Direct TV is superior in just about every way. Their customer service is also superior.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote