HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sleeper with the 14th pick

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2004, 02:06 PM
outKast*

vCash: 500
Sleeper with the 14th pick

The Oilers are most probably going to take a sleeper pick with the 14th overall pick just like they took Niinimaki. If they do here's a list of players that the Oilers may take 14th overall and they can't move up: Marcus Nyberg, Johannes Salmonsson, Fredrik Näslund.

Marcus Nyberg [Brian Leetch prototype]
Position: D
Shoots: L
Height: 6.00
Weight: 181
Nyberg is said to be a flashy defenseman who can quarterback a powerplay. He is very strong for his frame plays a very technical game. He has good hockey smarts and i would compare him to a young Brian Leetch. He's an agressive player but not overly physical as we would probably want him. If he adds mucle, he would be the Tom Poti we've been waiting for...but he can actually play defense. He may be available with the 24th pick. 2-3 years away from NHL

Johannes Salmonsson [Henrik Zetterberg type player]
Birth: 1986-02-07
Position: LW
Height: 6.03
Weight: 179
He has excellent size and would great with Niinimaki if they do make the team. A very gifted player offensively, and has explosive moves like Hemsky. Salmonsson has a nose for the net and puts up points up on regular basis. He has great size, fine technical skills and plays a very mature game. He is among the most talented Swedish players born 1986. I see the Leafs going after him with their first pick. I hope we get a chance at him before they do.
3-4years away from NHL

Fredrik Näslund [Mats Sundin clone]
Birth: 1986-02-11
Position: C
Shoots: R
Height: 6.04
Weight: 206
He's huge and is a Mihknov type of gamble. A big center that has already been compared to Mats Sundin. Näslund has just like the Maple Leaf captain great size, he shoots right and is very talented. Näslund is very tough to stop and move with his big frame and he has also a nose for the net. He sounds like he could be the next comming of a Bertuzzi type player. I want him with the 14th pick.
2 or 3 years away from NHL

Last edited by outKast*: 04-19-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old
04-19-2004, 02:12 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
They aren't sleeper picks if they will be playing in the NHL at 21 years old...

Old
04-19-2004, 02:13 PM
outKast*

In later rounds we may also get:

Martin Thörnberg
Position: W
Height: 5.11
Weight: 185

The kids got pedigree. Son to SEL legend Owe Thörnberg. Martin was a very good goal scorer in the Swedish junior league and is now ready to take on the Swedish Elite League. He has a very good shot, a good skater and he doesn't mind playing physical. A bit on the small side though. He would be a good 7th+ round pick.

Old
04-19-2004, 02:15 PM
H-Bear

Very interesting read outKast. I don't know enough about this year's draft to debate the who and the where, but what I can tell you is that Toraanna does not have a first round pick.

Old
04-19-2004, 02:23 PM
outKast*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
They aren't sleeper picks if they will be playing in the NHL at 21 years old...
Sleeper - One that achieves unexpected recognition or success. Those 4 guys are sleepers.

And H-Bear
ohh yeah, i just meant that with their first pick they will likely take Salomonsson. In another board, Leafs fans were talking about getting him.

Old
04-19-2004, 02:35 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Sleeper - One that achieves unexpected recognition or success. Those 4 guys are sleepers.
Guys that you are projecting to be in the NHL at like 20 or 21 years old aren't sleepers. If they are good enough to be in the NHL at that age, I don't see why they wouldn't be ranked higher... unless you are just pulling numbers out of your butt.

Old
04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Guys that you are projecting to be in the NHL at like 20 or 21 years old aren't sleepers. If they are good enough to be in the NHL at that age, I don't see why they wouldn't be ranked higher... unless you are just pulling numbers out of your butt.
Well, with prospects, everyone is just pulling numbers out of their butts .

Old
04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Enough with the sleeper picks in the first round. We've done it way too many times before and got burned. Pick a 'name' in the first round, preferably Robbie Schremp, and then go get a sleeper in the 3rd or 4th round that turns into something special. That's where you get good ones people miss, not the first round.

Old
04-19-2004, 03:24 PM
outKast*

It's nice to think of the Oilers scouting staff that way but reality is that they like shock factor it sends towards the rest of the league when they pick unknown players who arent even supposed to be picked till the 3rd round. I'm just saying that if we can't move up...These 3 guys are gems in the 1st round. I hope we get first dibs before anyone does.

Old
04-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
It's nice to think of the Oilers scouting staff that way but reality is that they like shock factor it sends towards the rest of the league when they pick unknown players who arent even supposed to be picked till the 3rd round. I'm just saying that if we can't move up...These 3 guys are gems in the 1st round. I hope we get first dibs before anyone does.
Do you honestly think the Oilers scouting selects guys in the first round simply because it will "shock" the rest of the league? That's ridiculous! They obviously have these guys ranked higher than other teams and are so high on them that they fear they might be gone before their second pick comes up. Lets give Niinimaki/Mikhnov a chance over here in North America before we start berating the scouting staff for their selections. In any event, a few of those guys might be options with our second pick but I don't see the Oilers selecting any of them with their first pick unless they trade down a number of spots.

Old
04-19-2004, 04:07 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's nice to think of the Oilers scouting staff that way but reality is that they like shock factor it sends towards the rest of the league when they pick unknown players who arent even supposed to be picked till the 3rd round.
I'm going to count the number of times they did this: One.

And I can guarantee you it was because he was the player they wanted - not for "shock value". Do you think they really care what other teams think of their pick?

Old
04-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
The Oilers are most probably going to take a sleeper pick with the 14th overall pick just like they took Niinimaki. If they do here's a list of players that the Oilers may take 14th overall and they can't move up: Marcus Nyberg, Johannes Salmonsson, Fredrik Näslund.

An excellent post OutKast! It may very well be that the Oilers pick a player who does not seem to have the same amount of hoopla that the top players like Picard or Chipchura do. I have read that there may be some European prospects who may go higher than expected simply because the scouting of European players is not as precise as North American and the some teams may take the chance with such a weak draft after the top 12.

As for Toronto picking Salmonsson, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought I read that Toronto had traded their first round pick in this years draft to NYR for Brian Leetch?

Old
04-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Bohologo

What the thread starter is trying to say: I think the Oilers will draft someone I've never heard of, just like last year.

What the rest of the board is trying to point out: A sleeper is someone like Adrian Foster, a high-risk, high-return gamble.

Let's assume that the scouts have more information about what the Oilers need than we do, and so if the Oilers pick someone off the radar, it won't be that much of a surprise.

Old
04-19-2004, 07:47 PM
Lowetide

Since 2001 when KP became the de facto draft head for the Oilers, they have reached several times, often in the early rounds:

15. C Jesse Niinimaki, rated 50th Euro in 2002
44. D Matt Greene, rated 50th NA in 2002
51. RW Colin McDOnald, rated 58 NA in 2003
68. LW JF Jacques, rated 88 NA in 2003

2001 was a deep draft and early on they were predictable:

13. RW Ales Hemsky, rated #9 NA
43. D Doug Lynch, rated #23 NA
52. C Eddie Caron rated #29 NA

I think there IS a sleeper pick out there, and his name is Blake Wheeler. He's a US high school kid, 6'5, 195 who apparently has speed and skill to go with size.

Sounds like a KP draft to me.

Old
04-19-2004, 07:55 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think there IS a sleeper pick out there, and his name is Blake Wheeler. He's a US high school kid, 6'5, 195 who apparently has speed and skill to go with size.

Sounds like a KP draft to me.
I'd draft that kid based on his name alone! Imagine how many Wheeler jerseys we could sell in only a week's time.. Where is Blake Wheeler expected to go in the draft?

Old
04-19-2004, 08:00 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
I'd draft that kid based on his name alone! Imagine how many Wheeler jerseys we could sell in only a week's time.. Where is Blake Wheeler expected to go in the draft?
He's #46 NA in the mid-season CSB rankings.

Old
04-19-2004, 11:28 PM
GorillazXL

Good thread OutKast, sorry about the other day . I totally agree with the Salmonson pick, he was ranked extremely high until a season ending injury. From what I've read he's got the personality to jump back where he left off.

GXL

Old
04-22-2004, 03:39 AM
honkey

Only swedish player worth taking as pick #14 this year is D Johan Fransson, he have had a terrific rookie year leading the team in +/-. He's an excellent skater, a little bit like Coffey. He logged tons of minutes cause the team had many injury this season. If his available at #14 i hope they take him, he can play right away in the NHL.

Also nice to see Marcus Nyberg mentioned, he's like Fransson a strong skater and have good passing skills, but never deliver any body checks.

Old
04-22-2004, 07:59 PM
outKast*

here's redline's take on Salomonson. It's near the bottom mostly. I think he would be steal of the draft.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...woodlief_x.htm

" The most skilled Swedish prospect for this year¹s draft, Johannes Salmonsson, re-injured his oft-injured shoulder, and will finally have reconstructive surgery. It hasn't been easy to see him play a league game in Sweden or at the international tourneys due to all the injuries and limited ice time. The fact that he also missed the World U-18 Championships could affect his draft stock negatively, and he may not even opt-in."

Old
04-22-2004, 09:13 PM
GorillazXL

I think he will be still around when the Oilers use the Philly pick... Though that would depend on how quick the goalies are being scooped up.

GXL

Old
04-22-2004, 09:51 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by honkey
Only swedish player worth taking as pick #14 this year is D Johan Fransson, he have had a terrific rookie year leading the team in +/-. He's an excellent skater, a little bit like Coffey. He logged tons of minutes cause the team had many injury this season. If his available at #14 i hope they take him, he can play right away in the NHL.
Good call honkey. Fransson is someone who has been mentioned to me by scouts as someone they like a lot for just the reasons you mentioned.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Mr.Sinister

with the surplus of forward prospects and a good goaltending prospect with DesLauriers, i think the Oilers willl draft a Defencemen, even though they have a Doug Lynch, and Jeff Woywitka.

the Oilers dont really draft the best player avalaible, very evident from last years draft, Pouliot instead of Anthony.

I think they should draft Wes O'Neil , playing for Notre Dame.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Sinister

I think they should draft Wes O'Neil , playing for Notre Dame.
OUCH! Not after the tournament he apparently had in Belarus.

Old
04-22-2004, 10:58 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'm still a Picard fan. I think he's within our reach too. I'm fine with the Oilers going off the board... but maybe save it for the Philly pick.

Old
04-23-2004, 01:46 AM
Mizral

Weather or not the following players are 'sleepers' is up to debate, but here are several lesser-ranked players I could see teams reaching for with the last 15 picks in the 1st round:

Oscar Hedman - Defense - MoDo (SEL) ... 6'0, 207 (Ranked #22 Euro by the midterm CSB reports)

Johan Fransson - Defense - Lulea (SEL) ... 6'1, 180 (ranked #8 Euro by the midterm CSB reports)

Travis Zajac - Forward - Salmon Arm (BCHL) ... 6'2, 205 (ranked #20 NA by the CSB midterms)

Blake Comeau - Forward - Kelowna (WHL) ... 6'0, 189 (ranked #43 NA by the CSB)

I personally like Zajac, I've seen him play before, and let me tell you he's probobly the best player I've ever seen play in the BCHL on his draft year.. and I've seen several NHL'ers in the BCHL (Gomez comes to mind). Then again, I really only started going to BCHL games since around 1995 or so.

Closed Thread