HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Balanced Scoring w. Chemistry?

Old
01-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

vCash: 500
Balanced Scoring w. Chemistry?

Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson
Shannon - Regin - Kovalev
Foligno - Spezza - Cheechoo
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

When Spezza and Alfredsson finally come back. Not messing up the chemistry that's developed while they were gone. Spezza on the third line, yes, but it creates 3 potentially awesome scoring lines while keeping Shannon with Kovalev and reuniting Fisher and Alfredsson. Don't really need to number the lines anyway.
The 3 lines could start out with equal ice time and then adjust for lines that were going that night.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:05 AM
jbeck5

That actually looks really good. 3 really good scoring lines, with a good energy line.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:11 AM
neutral zone trap13

I would like to keep the Ruutu-Kelly-Cheechoo line together. They are really good.
How about:

----------------------------------------------

Michalek-Fisher-Alfredsson
Shannon-Regin-Kovalev
Folingo-Spezza-Neil
Ruutu-Kelly-Cheechoo

--------------------------------------------

And they could get pretty equal ice time

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 11:15 AM
jbeck5

It's funny, i looked quickly and thought the 4th line in the first post was ruutu-kelly-cheechoo...but yeah, the second lineup seems even better.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Doig

My thoughts.

Michalek-Spezza-Alfredsson
Shannon-Fisher-Kovalev
Foligno-Regin-Cheechoo
Ruutu-Kelly-Neil

Doig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:35 PM
LOLERSKATES

i really liked that cheechoo-regin-neil line from earlier in the season

LOLERSKATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Jacques Martin loves those lines.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:25 PM
Alfredsson11

If Spezza and Alfredsson were to return today

Foligno - Spezza - Alfredsson
Michalek - Fisher - Neil
Donovan/Winchester - Kelly - Ruutu

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:33 PM
invisible25

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
Michalek - Fisher - Alfredsson
Foligno - Spezza - Cheechoo
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

When Spezza and Alfredsson finally come back. Not messing up the chemistry that's developed while they were gone. Spezza on the third line, yes, but it creates 3 potentially awesome scoring lines while keeping Shannon with Kovalev and reuniting Fisher and Alfredsson. Don't really need to number the lines anyway.
The 3 lines could start out with equal ice time and then adjust for lines that were going that night.
>If< this new found chemistry is still getting things when Spezza and Alfie are back then these lines do look great. The only problem I see is who gets third line? Spezza won't be too happy on line 3. Neither will Kovalev.
Posted via Mobile Device

invisible25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMM0TH1 View Post
>If< this new found chemistry is still getting things when Spezza and Alfie are back then these lines do look great. The only problem I see is who gets third line? Spezza won't be too happy on line 3. Neither will Kovalev.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, it's kind of assuming that the lines are still working a month from now, which is probably assuming too much. The 3 lines would have to get close to equal time. It would be an experiment to avoid going back to the same ol' MichSpezzAlfie line.

Old
01-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Xspyrit

Michalek and Alfredssson just doesn't work together. We have to find something else.

Michalek - Fisher - Kovalev
Regin - Winchester - Shannon
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Cheechoo/Donovan

Try to get rid of Cheechoo (cool guy but...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
If Spezza and Alfredsson were to return today

Michalek - Fisher - Neil
Donovan/Winchester - Kelly - Ruutu
Great lines, i like them even more than mines. Except that my 4th line would be Ruutu-Winchester-Kelly because Winchester is better on face-offs, Ruutu is a LWer and Kelly can play either side.

Cheechoo and Donovan are probably the 2 coolest guys on the team but they are the ones with the least to offer right now.

Last edited by Xspyrit: 01-01-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Michalek and Alfredssson just doesn't work together. We have to find something else.

Michalek - Fisher - Kovalev
Regin - Winchester - Shannon
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil
Cheechoo/Donovan

Try to get rid of Cheechoo (cool guy but...)

Great lines, i like them even more than mines. Except that my 4th line would be Ruutu-Winchester-Kelly because Winchester is better on face-offs, Ruutu is a LWer and Kelly can play either side.

Cheechoo and Donovan are probably the 2 coolest guys on the team but they are the ones with the least to offer right now.
Kovalev has shown over the course of his career that it's hard to find players to play with him. He hasn't shown any connection with anyone yet even though fisher was getting points while they were together, i don't remember one nice play between the two of them (ok, maybe one fisher one timer off kovy pass). He finally looks good with Shannon (and Regin too). I think those guys should stay together till that dries up. It also gets Shannon going at the same time which is needed. He looks like the kind of player Kovalev likes to play with. They are both creative. Kovalev feeds off that kind of play. Fisher and Michalek are more of straight north south guys. Still might be worth a try though.
Don't know what your problem with Cheechoo is other than his salary and bad luck. He has been very good for the team.

Old
01-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
1) Our scoring is pretty balanced... Only Fisher and Michalek are on pace for more than 20 goals. Alfie, Neil, and Foligno are on pace for between 15-20, and like 8 other guys are 12-14.

2) I'm not suggesting this, but has Spezza ever played wing?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Alfredsson11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post

I knew I froget somebody.

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:32 PM
OmniSens
@OmniSenators

vCash: 106
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Wow really? Why do I see alot of Spezza on the 3rd line posts...has he falled that badly?

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens15 View Post
Wow really? Why do I see alot of Spezza on the 3rd line posts...has he falled that badly?
He plays well with Michalek this is what i would try.

Foligno Fisher Alfredsson
Michalek Spezza Neil/Cheechoo/Donovan
Shannon Regin Kovalev
Ruutu Kelly Neil/Cheechoo/Donovan

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Kamina
Amok

Keep Shannon-Regin together, Michalek-Fisher together, and the RKC line.

Nick Foligno - Jason Spezza - Daniel Alfredsson
Milan Michalek - Mike Fisher - Chris Neil / Shean Donovan
Ryan Shannon - Peter Regin - Alexei Kovalev
Jarkko Ruutu - Chris Kelly - Jonathan Cheechoo

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Kovalev has shown over the course of his career that it's hard to find players to play with him. He hasn't shown any connection with anyone yet even though fisher was getting points while they were together, i don't remember one nice play between the two of them (ok, maybe one fisher one timer off kovy pass). He finally looks good with Shannon (and Regin too). I think those guys should stay together till that dries up. It also gets Shannon going at the same time which is needed. He looks like the kind of player Kovalev likes to play with. They are both creative. Kovalev feeds off that kind of play. Fisher and Michalek are more of straight north south guys. Still might be worth a try though.
Don't know what your problem with Cheechoo is other than his salary and bad luck. He has been very good for the team.
I think Kovy has shown as much connection with players as anyone else on the team. Many players have seemed to produce their best when playing on a line with him. Alfie was really good until he was moved off the Fisher/Kovy line. Folingo/Regin/Shannon all seemed to pickup their games a lot after playing on that line as well. Now a lot of it has to do with Fisher as well, but Kovy still played well with Regin/Shannon when he played with them. It seems that anyone who is put with Fisher/Kovy starts to play better though. Guys like Folingo/Shannon/Regin weren't doing a whole lot until they got a chance to play on a line with them.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
I think Kovy has shown as much connection with players as anyone else on the team. Many players have seemed to produce their best when playing on a line with him. Alfie was really good until he was moved off the Fisher/Kovy line. Folingo/Regin/Shannon all seemed to pickup their games a lot after playing on that line as well. Now a lot of it has to do with Fisher as well, but Kovy still played well with Regin/Shannon when he played with them. It seems that anyone who is put with Fisher/Kovy starts to play better though. Guys like Folingo/Shannon/Regin weren't doing a whole lot until they got a chance to play on a line with them.
Well that's not saying much. Outside of the 3rd and 4th lines, i haven't seen a whole lot.
Kovalev creates space for the other guys on his line because he attracts attention from the defense, but i haven't seen any real chemistry between him and his linemates other than Shannon recently. That imo is the main reason he doesn't have as many points as he should. Plekanec in Montreal had chemistry with him, Fisher hasn't. Might be getting better lately though.
Best i've seen so far is Shannon-Regin-Kovalev. How many great passing plays back and forth do you recall between Kovalev and anyone? I don't remember many.
There was that nice give and go between him and Spezza that almost ended up a goal. But those guys apparently don't play well together.

Old
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Well that's not saying much. Outside of the 3rd and 4th lines, i haven't seen a whole lot.
Kovalev creates space for the other guys on his line because he attracts attention from the defense, but i haven't seen any real chemistry between him and his linemates other than Shannon recently. That imo is the main reason he doesn't have as many points as he should. Plekanec in Montreal had chemistry with him, Fisher hasn't. Might be getting better lately though.
Best i've seen so far is Shannon-Regin-Kovalev. How many great passing plays back and forth do you recall between Kovalev and anyone? I don't remember many.
There was that nice give and go between him and Spezza that almost ended up a goal. But those guys apparently don't play well together.
I can't say that I agree with that. Hes shown chemistry with a lot of players on the team. Hes connected for beautiful passing plays during the course of the years with Spezza, Alfie, Fisher, Shannon, Regin, and Folingo. The main reason he hasn't quite as many points is that he isn't finishing plays off himself. I've seen him play a lot in Montreal and he had a lot of trouble finishing at for long stretches aside from his years in Pittsburgh and the one year in Montreal. I can say that watching him this year he is getting in position to score and his linemates are finding him with passes, but he seems to have no confidence to finish the plays off at the moment. It's not due to lack of scoring chances or chemistry though.

Old
01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post

Those are lines I would certainly be willing to try, although I would consider a full switch of wingers on the top 2 lines (using Neil, not Donovan). I'd really like to figure Winny into the lineup somehow, but he doesn't appear to have a spot, really.

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamina View Post

Donovan probably won't be in the lineup when everyone is healthy. I don't think Neil is the type of player that can consistently play offensively and be effective. He would neutralize Fisher and Michalek eventually. Of course, i'm biased towards the original lines cause they came from my brain, but from an unbiased position they still, just don't look as good.

Last edited by Icelevel: 01-03-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old
01-03-2010, 12:09 PM
LOLERSKATES

foligno - spezza - alfredsson
michalek - fisher - kovalev
cheechoo - regin - neil
ruutu - kelly - donovan

donovan rules. brings so much energy every shift. guys like shean don and kelly win you hockey games. trade shannon while he's hot.

LOLERSKATES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:10 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I prefer players to play in their natural positions, compliment each other & not have two guys together who may be defensive liabilities:

Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo - two good defensive players with Spezza
Foligno - Fisher - Alfredson - need a better LWer than Foligno
Kovalev - Regin - Shannon - two good fast defensive players with Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil/Winchester/Donovan - good 4th line & decent depth

- Cheechoo has more potential to score than either Winchester or Donovan which is why he is in the line up over those two. I place him with Spezza because Spezza can get him the puck & he needs a setup guy to score. Michalek is on this line because he will go to the net & into the corners for the puck as will Cheechoo which helps Spezza, Michalek also opens up a little room for the other two with his speed.

- Fisher is use to both these guys & they have complimented each other in the past. It's not a great line but a good line that will contribute at both ends. If Murray can bring in a better LWer than Foligno at the deadline this line could really take off.

- Kovalev has shown some chemistry with both these guys & playing with Kovalev should improve there offensive numbers. Both Regin & Shannon are fast & defensive minded to make up for Kovalev's defensive lapses. This also gives us three potential scoring lines.

- pretty decent 4th line that might also be able to contribute offensively.

Deadline Deal:
To LA: Foligno & SJ 2nd ($.8 mil)
To Ottawa: Frolov RW/LW ($2.9 mil)

Pros - Frolov has good size, has tremendous scoring potential, is still young & can play either wing effectively giving Ottawa more options. Would really upgrade the 2nd line with Fisher & Alfredson.
Cons - Is another defensive liability, is a UFA at season's end & may not resign & is a risk in many ways (bad attitude, could bolt for the KHL, lazy).

Deadline Deal: Not sure if he would fit in Ottawa's Cap at this point.
To Vancouver: Ilya Zubov and/or 6th rd pick
To Ottawa: Mathieu Schnieder RD

Kuba - Schnieder - experience & two decent offensive defencemen
Phillips - Volchenkov - two very good defensive defencemen
Picard - Carkner/Campolli/Karlsson - okay 3rd pairing & decent depth

Pros - adds depth, experience & potential scoring to our blueline. May still have something left for a final run at a Stanley Cup, he was a high scoring offensive defenceman not that long ago. Doesn't cost us much to get him.
Cons - could be another defensive liability, may not have anything left in the tank.

MUST HAVE BETTER GOALTENDING OR WE ARE GOING NOWHERE.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I prefer players to play in their natural positions, compliment each other & not have two guys together who may be defensive liabilities:

Michalek - Spezza - Cheechoo - two good defensive players with Spezza
Foligno - Fisher - Alfredson - need a better LWer than Foligno
Kovalev - Regin - Shannon - two good fast defensive players with Kovalev
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil/Winchester/Donovan - good 4th line & decent depth

- Cheechoo has more potential to score than either Winchester or Donovan which is why he is in the line up over those two. I place him with Spezza because Spezza can get him the puck & he needs a setup guy to score. Michalek is on this line because he will go to the net & into the corners for the puck as will Cheechoo which helps Spezza, Michalek also opens up a little room for the other two with his speed.

- Fisher is use to both these guys & they have complimented each other in the past. It's not a great line but a good line that will contribute at both ends. If Murray can bring in a better LWer than Foligno at the deadline this line could really take off.

- Kovalev has shown some chemistry with both these guys & playing with Kovalev should improve there offensive numbers. Both Regin & Shannon are fast & defensive minded to make up for Kovalev's defensive lapses. This also gives us three potential scoring lines.

- pretty decent 4th line that might also be able to contribute offensively.

Deadline Deal:
To LA: Foligno & SJ 2nd ($.8 mil)
To Ottawa: Frolov RW/LW ($2.9 mil)

Pros - Frolov has good size, has tremendous scoring potential, is still young & can play either wing effectively giving Ottawa more options. Would really upgrade the 2nd line with Fisher & Alfredson.
Cons - Is another defensive liability, is a UFA at season's end & may not resign & is a risk in many ways (bad attitude, could bolt for the KHL, lazy).

Deadline Deal: Not sure if he would fit in Ottawa's Cap at this point.
To Vancouver: Ilya Zubov and/or 6th rd pick
To Ottawa: Mathieu Schnieder RD

Kuba - Schnieder - experience & two decent offensive defencemen
Phillips - Volchenkov - two very good defensive defencemen
Picard - Carkner/Campolli/Karlsson - okay 3rd pairing & decent depth

Pros - adds depth, experience & potential scoring to our blueline. May still have something left for a final run at a Stanley Cup, he was a high scoring offensive defenceman not that long ago. Doesn't cost us much to get him.
Cons - could be another defensive liability, may not have anything left in the tank.

MUST HAVE BETTER GOALTENDING OR WE ARE GOING NOWHERE.
I would like to think Michalek is a good defensive player, but he and Cheechoo are actually the lowest +/- on the team in terms of forwards. Of course I don't alway put to much stock in the +/- attribute. It can be up and down a lot and sometimes players are unlucky being on the ice for goals against that were not their faults. On the flip side Spezza/Cheechoo/Michalek did work decently early in the season so it might be ok. I'd rather pair up certain players like Spezza/Alfie, Michalek/Fisher, Regin/Kovalev.