HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Quick over Anderson?

Old
01-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Care to clue me in? The only stat Quick has over Anderson is wins (by two) and GAA (by 0.07).

Who's calling him a bum? I'm just pointing out the obvious - it was a homer pick by Lombardi. As was the Komisarek pick by Burke.
You're running him down and telling us he's "clearly" inadequate. Of course Quick is a fine choice for the team, this is one of those "You can't go wrong either way" choices.

I stand by the two most important stats that have been yet cited, on my first post above. Quick leads the entire NHL in minutes played, that stat is huge. In other words more minutes than Brodeur, more than Luongo or any other workhorse goalie you can name.

Also the Kings have not lost in regulation or OT after leading going into the third, what that tells you is that Quick is money when the chips are down.

It's not just about .916 vs .904 or whatever. At that level you are splitting hairs, and anyway you are also looking at their teams in that stat. That stat never takes into account the number of quality scoring chances yielded by the team.

Look at the goalie who has to make a world-class game-saving stop when the game is on the line against a desperate team. If you actually watched Quick you would see that he makes those stops, this is why he has the stat that shows him to be perfect as a closer going into the third this season.

That shows character, ice water in the veins and all that. Look, Anderson has been lights out this year, you absolutely can't take away from that but there is nothing "ridiculous" about the selection of a goalie who at 24 is already emerging as a star, very plain to anyone who actually watches or studies J. Quick.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:41 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
there is nothing "ridiculous" about the selection
You know, I actually have to have said the selection was ridiculous for you to put it in quotations like that.

We can talk in circles all we want, especially considering you've obviously never seen Anderson play if you're going to lecture me on chances, but I've made my point.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
JMFJ 3

Quick is so underrated on HF it's pitiful.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
You know, I actually have to have said the selection was ridiculous for you to put it in quotations like that.

We can talk in circles all we want, especially considering you've obviously never seen Anderson play if you're going to lecture me on chances, but I've made my point.
Oh I've seen Anderson play all right, I already said he seems to me to be the Avs MVP this season. To say he is "clearly" better than Quick is just flat-out wrong.

I'm not lecturing you about chances except to say that .916 vs .904 is a fairly meaningless stat, to make that argument is truly splitting hairs.

You are concurring with the OP (who used the word "ridiculous") in running down Quick, there is absolutely nothing "clear" about Anderson's superiority over Quick despite all that you have said, and both would make fine choices but Team USA is looking to both present and future in picking the younger man as several have pointed out.

Old
01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quick has been great this year. There is nothing shocking about this pick (for the third goalie position, mind you, the most irrelevant position on an Olympic roster).

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:16 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Burke even said today that both guys were equal and they went with the younger guy. It serves team USA better having Quick, if only to get the experience for future international events.
That and him saying theyve been watching these guys for 16 months and have been rating them for the entire time.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 05:23 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Care to clue me in? The only stat Quick has over Anderson is wins (by two) and GAA (by 0.07).

Who's calling him a bum? I'm just pointing out the obvious - it was a homer pick by Lombardi. As was the Komisarek pick by Burke.
How was it a homer pick? It was a decision made by 9 people.

Old
01-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Quick has been great this year. There is nothing shocking about this pick (for the third goalie position, mind you, the most irrelevant position on an Olympic roster).
This is an important point too. In fact if I'm the coach, Miller plays every minute of every game.

Old
01-01-2010, 06:01 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
Oh I've seen Anderson play all right, I already said he seems to me to be the Avs MVP this season. To say he is "clearly" better than Quick is just flat-out wrong.
Quick is good, but Anderson is clearly better than Quick.

Nothing wrong with the selection, they went for youth for their 3rd goalie spot. Nothing wrong with that.

But sorry bud, take a poll....if you're playing a game tonight and you need a goalie to fill in, the majority of people take Craig Anderson over Jonathan Quick, he's clearly better right now, and that's not a knock on Quick.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:03 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
How was it a homer pick? It was a decision made by 9 people.
What is the saying about swamp land...?

bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
So clearly that LA gives up the fourth fewest shots in the NHL and Quick only has a .904 SV%, compared to Anderson on a Colorado team that gives up the fourth most shots in the league, yet has a .916 SV%. Their GAA's are almost identical, despite the shot parity.

And, oh yeah, Colorado is 3rd and LA is 8th.

So yes, pretty damn clear, especially if you've watched both play.
You talk about watching, but you throw a bunch of stats at us.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
They mentioned during the Avs game yesterday that Anderson turned down an opportunity to play in the World Championships last year and Quick accepted. That could have something to do with it.

Like others have mentioned, they have put up nearly the same numbers but Quick is younger.

Then you add in the Lombardi factor and it seems like the obvious choice.

I don't see why any Avs fan should be upset over this, Anderson gets to sit at home and rest. He doesn't have to go to Vancouver and practice and be the 3rd goalie who won't play. He gets a couple weeks off now.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:23 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling View Post
What is the saying about swamp land...?
So Lombardi was the sole person responsible for Quick being on the roster? Couldnt have been the last 16 months of play or a committee decision right

Old
01-01-2010, 06:44 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
You talk about watching, but you throw a bunch of stats at us.
Maybe that's because both are important.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 06:56 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I DGAF about this, and nobody should really care. Quick isn't gonna play, so who cares.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Quick is so overrated on HF it's pitiful.
That looks better. Quick is in the bottom tier of starting goaltenders in the league, and soon LA will have found a better, also long-term solution in their system. Mark my words. I've seen a lot of Kings games, and Quick is merely OK. He's nothing special.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:24 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
That looks better. Quick is in the bottom tier of starting goaltenders in the league, and soon LA will have found a better, also long-term solution in their system. Mark my words. I've seen a lot of Kings games, and Quick is merely OK. He's nothing special.
If he's merely "ok" then why has he played in practically every game this season? Quick is as solid as any goaltender under 25.

Old
01-01-2010, 07:30 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
That is so incredibly wrong I don't even know what to say. Quick is such a huge reason why the Kings have such a good record in one-goal games and games in which they lead after two. As far as people *****ing about Quick going over Anderson, not only are they going with the younger player, they're going with the one who has been playing better the past two months. Anderson's numbers are greatly buoyed by his ridiculously hot and unsustainable start.

Since the start of November:
Quick -- 2.63 GAA .903 SV%
Anderson -- 3.14 GAA .899 SV%

Anderson is not "clearly" better than Quick by any stretch of the imagination.

December for ***** and giggles:
Quick -- 2.55 GAA .910 SV%
Anderson -- 3.08 GAA .902 SV%

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Florentino Ariza

I personally think Anderson is the better goaltender. But putting that aside, what I don't understand is the "they're grooming Quick for the future" argument. Do people believe that Quick will be well served by sitting on the bench and watching Miller play? Do people believe that he physically needs to be at the Olympics to possibly be the number one someday?

Florentino Ariza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:33 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
That is so incredibly wrong I don't even know what to say. Quick is such a huge reason why the Kings have such a good record in one-goal games and games in which they lead after two. As far as people *****ing about Quick going over Anderson, not only are they going with the younger player, they're going with the one who has been playing better the past two months. Anderson's numbers are greatly buoyed by his ridiculously hot and unsustainable start.

Since the start of November:
Quick -- 2.63 GAA .903 SV%
Anderson -- 3.14 GAA .899 SV%

Anderson is not "clearly" better than Quick by any stretch of the imagination.

December for ***** and giggles:
Quick -- 2.55 GAA .910 SV%
Anderson -- 3.08 GAA .902 SV%
/thread, Quick started the year off horribly but since then has been extremely solid in net for LA on a nightly basis. Quick > Anderson

Old
01-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
/thread, Quick started the year off horribly but since then has been extremely solid in net for LA on a nightly basis. Quick > Anderson
Quick's October was actually better than his November, but Anderson's numbers have taken a huge hit since his obviously unsustainable start.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Stevens 4

For the 3rd string role Quick is the better choice because he is younger and could be their future. If one of them was actually going to play I would take Anderson though. Either way both were a good choice.

Stevens 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
dabeechman

Could not have gone wrong either way. Quick has finished out the last couple months better than Anderson though, and I am sure that weighed in on their mind. Regardless, neither one will get any minutes, but the experience should be a good one for Quick.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
I love how 1 half of a season as a starting goaltender qualifies Anderson to be a member of the once every 4 years olympics. Get real folks, he's been a career back up. By that token, Dustin Penner should have made the Canadian squad.
It's pretty ridiculous that you think the Olympic teams selections should be based on previous performances.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
It's pretty ridiculous that you think the Olympic teams selections should be based on previous performances.
Brian Burke said quite the opposite today. especially in terms of those selected who hadn't gotten off to their best start this season.

body of work should always be a consideration.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote