HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The end of Canada's dominance?

Old
01-02-2010, 01:38 AM
boris4c

vCash: 500
The end of Canada's dominance?

The Youth Hockey League (YHL) was founded on March 26, 2009 by 20 professional clubs from the Kontinental Hockey League, the KHL's holding company and the Russian Hockey Federation. It remains the only youth sporting project of this scale and scope in Russia, and forms part of the KHL's contribution to the 2009: Year of Youth project in the Russian Federation.

Distinguished coach Vladimir Yurzinov was elected chairman of the league, Dmitry Yefimov is the executive director.

Currently the league comprises 22 clubs from 19 Russian cities, involving more than 570 players aged 16-21. These numbers are set to grow – several clubs have already applied to join the league in 2010.

The league's main aim is to promote and develop youth hockey in Russia, elevating it to a higher level. For the first time Russia’s emerging hockey-playing talent has a domestic league of its own, exactly like the adult championships. The league's first season began on September 4, 2009, and the inaugural winner of the Kharlamov Cup will be decided after the playoffs in April 2010.

(from http://en.khl.ru/)

I believe this will mark the end of Canada's dominance at the WJC and at the junior level as a whole.

Not only this, but a Kontinental League will be formed in Europe in the upcoming years, but this time it will literally be continental. The league will probably compromise the best KHL teams along with the best teams from the rest of Europe (Sweden, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, etc.). If this league succeeds, I think it will greatly impact international hockey.

First of all, it will automatically keep more players in Europe, meaning the NHL could suffer significantly. Of course, it all depends how many players will actually remain to play in Europe but if the KHL alone is keeping a lot of players already, then this one will do the same in greater proportions.

Secondly, it will mean better development in all of the involved countries, but probably to a larger scale also. Neighboring countries will also benefit from the presence of this league. I think that we can finally hope to see the gap between the good and not so good hockey countries diminish, as we did not see that happen for decades.

Sweden wasn't serious with its junior program until 2002, and look at them now. They have been battling for top spot for three (3) years now, every year the team is better and better, and it's only the beginning of things. On the other hand, Russia is already competitive, year after year, and I think it could be the beginning of a new era in about 4-5 years when this new junior program delivers its product, and this not only on the junior level but also, logically speaking, on the senior level.

Thoughts?

boris4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Big Phil

We'll see. It's kind of funny though because Canada steamrolled the competition in the 2005 and 2006 WJC but needed either overtime or a shootout in the last three years in order to win in either the Semis or Gold medal game. Ken Campbell wrote an article in The Hockey News about how "easy" Canada has had it. Campbell is a tool who knows little about the game because it HASN'T been easy at all the last three years.

But if you are asking if this will stop Canada's string of Golds in a row then I think inevitably it will happen. Maybe even this year

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:00 AM
SENSfreak_03

I hope it does help develop players not only in russia, but it catches on elsewhere.

I love Canada winning, but I'm losing interest in the WJC with many of the same story lines every year. A more competitive tourney from game 1 till the end would be great.

As for the KHL continuing to threaten the NHL, we'll see
Posted via Mobile Device

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:54 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I agree, I hope it helps countries like Latvia and Kazahkstan moreso than Russia.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:08 AM
MercenaryD

If it is successful, the league should be able to make the KHL a more legitimate competitor to the NHL since I think theres too big a talent gap between the have and have-not teams. However I seriously doubt most of Europe would take up development of youth and junior hockey from the Russian system but I guess it can give a big boost to those Div. I & II countries in Eastern Europe.

I can't wait to see talent-filled KHL with 30 teams across Eastern Europe and Russia doubling their total number of players in like 20 years or so .

MercenaryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:28 AM
BlackAces*

I have no problem with another country developing a junior league. The more competition the better. The WJC is getting a little boring. I would like it if our kids actually had to go into some hostile territory for a tournament and get a win once in awhile too. It would be good experience for tournaments later on. Hopefully Russia can get that together too.

BlackAces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:32 AM
hockeywatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
I have no problem with another country developing a junior league. The more competition the better. The WJC is getting a little boring. I would like it if our kids actually had to go into some hostile territory for a tournament and get a win once in awhile too. It would be good experience for tournaments later on. Hopefully Russia can get that together too.
totally agree!!

hockeywatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Turboflex*

Bottom line is the NHL has gross revenues of 2.5 to 3 billion $. KHL + expansion candidate teams have maybe what? 20% of an average NHL team? KHL can compensate for this if the Russian oil tycoons want to run losses to pay players big money, but the bottom line is the NHL is where the big money is in hockey and will be until hockey becomes bigger in Europe.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:21 AM
imanania

NHL hockey will always be the biggest, and most watched league in the world. Doesn't matter if a huge Kontinental League forms to pit Europe's best teams against each other, NHL will always be where the top talent is at, and everybody will come to the NHL if they want the stiffest competition.

imanania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:46 AM
Scouter

vCash: 50
Well the KHL is a bit of a flimsy/mercenary league right now as it is, players being told that they will get paid alot, yet don't get paid what they had been told, Russias quest for world hockey domination still has a long way to go. I also thought that they had a junior league for years.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by boris4c View Post
Not only this, but a Kontinental League will be formed in Europe in the upcoming years
Umm, no. Not gonna happen. Unless someone like Gazprom is willing to sponsor them so their salaries can reach the KHL cap floor. Which I doubt they are willing to do.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Yemack

It remains to be seen how effective it will be but putting money and effort on junior programs can only mean good things for hockey in global sense.

IMO, the end of Canada's dominance will probably be when US decides to care about hockey. I've always wondered how the game will change when all the NBA freakish tall atheletes play hockey. They will have to make the net bigger that's for sure.

by the way, I think some nations are obsessed with the world 'Domination'

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:11 AM
surshot*

Cool for russia and europe if it indeed gets that far. Whatever makes Hockey better world wide is fine with me. The OP must be talking about Canada's junior dominance because i consider Russia one of the better mens teams already and for years even decades they have been competitive with us and Canada has been far from dominant. Canada well just go and do what it needs to do and try to win comps internationally no matter what age group. One area Canada needs to work on is starting to work on developing more high end players as it seems other countries are doing a better job lately. Here is to hockey and not taking things to seriously if your team gets beat by a better team.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:17 AM
wjhl2009fan

I wounder if the chl would ever look at having a european league.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
I think it's great that it's coming around, but we'll have to see how it holds up in practice.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Macman

I have to wonder how long the KHL can continue to spend the way it does without financial repercussions.

I really believe the main reason for Canada's dominance at the junior level is the way Canada plays. They put a lot of pressure on the other team's defence by forechecking heavily and junior-age kids in Russia aren't used to it. A junior league is all well and good but unless they start teaching that kind of play, Russia will continue to lose to Canada more often than not at the junior level. IMO.

Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1848
I'm sure it will make things more competitive and that is great.

Not sure how it would make more players stay in Europe though. the NHL is still the top dog and players all over the world still want to come here despite the success of the KHL.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:45 AM
TheCH*

I can't believe Canadians in this thread talking about basically being "sick of winning". That's pathetic!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:48 AM
mattihp

Canada does not have an equal to Jursinov. Great choice.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:50 AM
mattihp

The canadians here aren't saying they are tired of winning. They are saying that they are tired of seeing their team win without much of a challenge.

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:58 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
I can't believe Canadians in this thread talking about basically being "sick of winning". That's pathetic!
I dont think anyone is saying that.

It's more like....the sport of hockey will be greatly improved with better competition world-wide.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:02 AM
Leafs Tank Nation

The challenge won't come from Europe; it'll come from the USA.
Youth hockey in the USA is climbing faster than any other country including Canada.
Right now 20% of players are American, thirty years ago it was what 5%. Don't be surprised if in 25 years almost half the NHL is American.
Then people will be complaining about American dominance.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Talus

Nikita Filitov was excellent in the last world juniors he opted to go back to Russia to hone his skills rather than play in the AHL.
Nikita Filitov did not improve but regressed.

Talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:06 AM
Talus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Canada does not have an equal to Jursinov. Great choice.
Who is Jursinov?

Talus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan001 View Post
The challenge won't come from Europe; it'll come from the USA.
Youth hockey in the USA is climbing faster than any other country including Canada.
Right now 20% of players are American, thirty years ago it was what 5%. Don't be surprised if in 25 years almost half the NHL is American.
Then people will be complaining about American dominance.
What is some what funny is yes youth hockey is growing in the states.THe other thing is youth soccer is growing in canada maybe at one point the states will have a better hockey program but canada may have a better soccer program.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote