HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Horcoff for Briere

View Poll Results: Would you trade Horcoff for Briere?
Yes 32 65.31%
No 17 34.69%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-02-2010, 01:24 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Not the same length. One year shorter. Upgrade on Horcoff I would assume.
Both are UFAs in 15/16

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Both are UFAs in 15/16
That... is depressing.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:27 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Both are UFAs in 15/16
Yes you are right. My mistake. Last two years for Briere are three and two mill though. We could pay him that to be in Springfield or trade him to a cash strapped team that wants to reach the cap floor for cheap. Or just keep him if he is any good at that point.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:32 AM
surshot*

Quote:
It would be three years instead of six with the fourth year being paid 3mill in the minors. It would get us out from under a rock plus Briere is a better producer. Horcoff doesnt hit anything so what does size matter?
We can not put Briere on the third line and ask him to be effective. Horc still is the better checker and if he can atleast return to form somewhat is worth his contract more then Briere can be. He also is not a fit at all in our top six. Points are not everything. Lets get some size in our top six so we can compete right now its not a place to be if your a small forward with only one top sixer with size.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:34 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
We can not put Briere on the third line and ask him to be effective. Horc still is the better checker and if he can atleast return to form somewhat is worth his contract more then Briere can be. He also is not a fit at all in our top six. Points are not everything. Lets get some size in our top six so we can compete right now its not a place to be if your a small forward with only one top sixer with size.
I agree with your assessment and vision for the forwards. I just wanted to look for a way out with Horcoff. I didnt realize that Briere was the same length. Stupid expand tab.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:43 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwen View Post
I would do this in a heart beat.

And as mentioned with the $3million payment in his final year of his contract, I am sure one could fetch a nice return to a team that needs a rental.

Done and done.
How does his salary in the last year really make a difference? His cap hit is still $6 mil +.

Oil Gauge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:44 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
yeah, sure we could do all those things. We could do them with Horcoff too. It still doesn't change that Briere brings none of the things we need, and more of the things we already have too much of as it is.

Briere isn't going to help the PK. He makes us smaller up front. He doesn't improve our abilbity to win faceoffs. He doesn't give us any cap relief. Why would we want him?

misfit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:46 AM
Girth

Quote:
Would anyone do this? Briere has a cap hit of 6.365 so the difference is a little less than a million. He is a ppg player when healthy. I feel this is the kind of deal that we may have to look at to get rid of 10. Yay or Nay?
Don't both players have NTC contracts?

But if the premise is just fantasy, I'd rather keeps Horc and see how things play out over the next couple of seasons.

Last edited by Girth: 01-02-2010 at 01:56 AM.
Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:49 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
yeah, sure we could do all those things. We could do them with Horcoff too. It still doesn't change that Briere brings none of the things we need, and more of the things we already have too much of as it is.

Briere isn't going to help the PK. He makes us smaller up front. He doesn't improve our abilbity to win faceoffs. He doesn't give us any cap relief. Why would we want him?
Because he is a ppg player when he is healthy.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:50 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
How does his salary in the last year really make a difference? His cap hit is still $6 mil +.
It gives you options. Like burying him in the minors or buying him out or trading him to a cash poor team trying to reach the cap floor.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:52 AM
surshot*

Quote:
I agree with your assessment and vision for the forwards. I just wanted to look for a way out with Horcoff. I didnt realize that Briere was the same length. Stupid expand tab.
I am disappointed in his play this year and if he continues to play like an ahl player he should be bought out and i believe we can spread the cap hit out tell like 2020 so it would not hurt that much.

Does he have a NMC and does that make it impossible to bury him in the minors?

I think what we are seeing with some if not a lot of these players when they get a big pay day and then promptly regressing like they have nothing to prove is a scary thing, and i feel sorry for who ever has to decide whether a player is going to keep up his play in order to earn the contract they got. Its not just a Oiler issue its a NHL issue and it seems like its rampant except for a select few players. Is Horcoff really content on playing out his career like this and just keep on cashing his checks with out atleast being some what reliable again. He has been terrible defensively and he is just getting worse it seems. He can not put points up and he is now bleeding goals against that use to be his fall back when he could not put points up. I really hope he just stops half assing his career because its really showing that is what he is doing.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Smallest NHL team down the middle probably ever. Even be worse off... unless you really want Taylor Hall.

If you also move Gagner/Cogliano for a center with size and defensive ability, then yeah.

Part of me thinks we already have Briere in Gagner, just need to wait a few seasons, hope he drops the streakiness and picks up a few more pounds.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:55 AM
surshot*

Quote:
Because he is a ppg player when he is healthy.
And when is that ever going to happen. He makes Gaborik look like he is a iron man.

Old
01-02-2010, 01:59 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
And when is that ever going to happen. He makes Gaborik look like he is a iron man.
Gaborik has been great this year. Sather had an awesome summer. Getting Gaborik, Mcdonough and unloading Gomez. Cripes, we can only dream of Tambo doing half of that.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
It gives you options. Like burying him in the minors or buying him out or trading him to a cash poor team trying to reach the cap floor.
The bolded one is the only one that would be easier to do with Briere. Horcoffs contract is also front loaded.

I think we do this trade because Briere can put up way better #'s than Horcoff. not because his salary is $3 million in the last year.

Oil Gauge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:08 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
The bolded one is the only one that would be easier to do with Briere. Horcoffs contract is also front loaded.

I think we do this trade because Briere can put up way better #'s than Horcoff. not because his salary is $3 million in the last year.
Its actually three then two (last two years) so in essence the only advantage being you have two cheap years at the end to play with instead of one. But I cant see why Philly would do it. We would have to sweeten the pot, and I dont really think it is worth it at this point. I thought his contract was two years less than Horcoffs but it isnt, so that kind of changes things.

Old
01-02-2010, 08:21 AM
nafrelio

Why would Philly do this? Both have IDENTICAL salaries to pay out after this year (26 million). Who would you rather have for $26 million? Briere wins out there, no question, plus he is one million cheaper in each of his last two years, making him much more tradeable. Would be a definate upgrade over Horc, IMO.

Penner Briere Hemsky
MPS Gagner Omark
Brule Cogs Nilsson
Jacques Pouliot Storts
Hall/Seguin Eberle

That's a small/young team! Fun to watch though - excellent speed, but definately a rebuild!

If we get a top pick this year, we will have some good pieces to trade for an upgrade in size (Cogs, Nillson, Eberle?, Gilbert, Brule, Moreau, Staios, etc). In addition I think we should package a few of them up for a stud young dman and a stud goalie prospect.

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafrelio View Post
Why would Philly do this? Both have IDENTICAL salaries to pay out after this year (26 million). Who would you rather have for $26 million? Briere wins out there, no question, plus he is one million cheaper in each of his last two years, making him much more tradeable. Would be a definate upgrade over Horc, IMO.
I definitely agree with this. No chance Philly entertains this unless we throw in more assets, and I'd prefer to have Horcoff over Briere if it costs us young talent/picks. That is, unless Philly wants Moreau for the EXTRA assets. LOL

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:52 AM
alexo

Yes I would do it, but if I were the Philly GM I would not. Throwing in Dubnyk is a joke. Throwing in Rajala, maybe, but you'd have to really like Rajala.

On top of that, we have the NTCs of Briere, and Horcoff, as mentioned. I could see Horcoff waving his. However, I couldn't see Briere waving his to come here, so that deal is pretty much wishful thinking.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:53 AM
mactforcoach

Another thing people are overlooking, by all accounts, as bad as Horcoff's play has been this year, he wants to be here! That has to count for something. Can anyone promise Briere will be a ppg guy here?

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Willy Lindstrom

I'd trade Horcoff for a sack of smelly jock straps. Just to free up cap room.
So I guess Briere is a better deal than what I'd settle for.
I vote Yes.

Willy Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Girth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Lindstrom View Post
I'd trade Horcoff for a sack of smelly jock straps. Just to free up cap room.
So I guess Briere is a better deal than what I'd settle for.
I vote Yes.
If the team was worried about cap space, Tambo would have kept Cole as an expiring contract. What is this obsession with cap room around here? I understand it has value to other teams trying to dump salary, but we haven't witnessed many deals where its come into play. (Erhoff, late picks, ???)

Girth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Traktor*

Shawn Horcoff has the same value as herpes.

Nobody wants him expect for the bloggers. Philadelphia hangs up and asks Tambellini never to call again..

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Roamin

Oilers won't trade Horcoff.
They're groming him into the next Oiler captain!!

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
Shawn Horcoff has the same value as herpes.

Nobody wants him expect for the bloggers. Philadelphia hangs up and asks Tambellini never to call again..
Maybe the bloggers can form a new team and we can trade them Horcoff for their 1st round pick for the next 3 years?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote