HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

OT: Shisha places in edmonton

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2010, 02:03 AM
  #1
nameht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
OT: Shisha places in edmonton

Hello,

wondering if anyone can help me, would like to know the best place to buy shisha tobacco and also the best restaurant to smoke some shisha

thanks everyone!

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:37 AM
  #2
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
I know a few places where you can buy it from.

One place is El Safadi, but they are fairly expensive. You can also buy them from El Jabel, I'm not sure of the price there I think they are decently priced. The one place my brother in law always gets his from is Hajjar deli I think. I'll look into this one for you.

As for restaurants, I know you can smoke it at The Sultan downtown and I think at La Shish too.


EDIT: I'll even get you some addresses...since I was off with some of the names.

El Jabel: 12620B 132 Avenue Northwest
El Safadi Brothers: 11316 134 Ave Northwest
Hajars Halal Meats: 11320 134 Ave NW

The Sultan Palace Cafe: 10171 109 Street Northwest
La Shish Taouk Inc: 3 locations to choose from. 224 Mayfield Common Northwest or 10106 118 Avenue Northwest or 9501 111 Ave NW.


Last edited by Rin: 01-02-2010 at 02:45 AM.
Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:10 AM
  #3
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Just a guess, but I would imagine that a good quality tobacconist like Burlington on Whyte would also stock shisha.

Pick up a cheap briar pipe and either some Fireside or Kipling pipe tobacco while you're there. Mmmmmmmm.....

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:52 AM
  #4
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Wtf is shisha?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:54 AM
  #5
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wtf is shisha?
Dunno, but I swear capt jack said that word like 100 times in the Pirates movies.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:57 AM
  #6
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,256
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Dunno, but I swear capt jack said that word like 100 times in the Pirates movies.
You smoke it in the hookah pipes I guess.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:00 AM
  #7
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You smoke it in the hookah pipes I guess.
Hookers don't have pipes.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:00 AM
  #8
Auguste Escoffier
Registered User
 
Auguste Escoffier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 5,623
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You smoke it in the hookah pipes I guess.
I thought it is the hookah.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:06 AM
  #9
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMacdonald View Post
Hookers don't have pipes.
Really? damn, I got hoodwinked I tell ya, HOODWINKED!

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:08 AM
  #10
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Wtf is shisha?
Water pipe, arghili, nargila... Used to smoke flavored tobacco that comes in flavors like apple, watermelon, red bull and cotton candy.

Mowzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:29 AM
  #11
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
coco di's in downtown used to have it but i think that place burnt down..i despise sultan, they blast music really loudly and the service is horrible..i especially hate this one guy who gives you dirty looks if you ask for extra hose tips..lashish is good and there's also this place on whyte called sabzi although i don't know if they're still in business because their food is atrocious..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:33 AM
  #12
VelvetJones
Registered User
 
VelvetJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Water pipe, arghili, nargila... Used to smoke flavored tobacco that comes in flavors like apple, watermelon, red bull and cotton candy.
Sounds like some sort of Hezbollah witchcraft.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:45 AM
  #13
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
coco di's in downtown used to have it but i think that place burnt down..i despise sultan, they blast music really loudly and the service is horrible..i especially hate this one guy who gives you dirty looks if you ask for extra hose tips..lashish is good and there's also this place on whyte called sabzi although i don't know if they're still in business because their food is atrocious..

Ya, I went to the Sultan place once and will not go again. The service sucked and they automatically add a tip onto the bill...which is why the service sucks so bad.

What you need to do is find a arabic friend, we all have them in our houses and our freezers are stocked with tobacco that we brought back from Lebanon/where ever since it's so much cheaper there.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:47 AM
  #14
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Water pipe, arghili, nargila... Used to smoke flavored tobacco that comes in flavors like apple, watermelon, red bull and cotton candy.
Did you taste the red bull kind? My sister had some but I think I was sick when she had it, and she finished it all by the time I was healthy again.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:51 AM
  #15
ChokeOnOil
i hate my team
 
ChokeOnOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Ya, I went to the Sultan place once and will not go again. The service sucked and they automatically add a tip onto the bill...which is why the service sucks so bad.
My mom did a new years party there last year and they charged her and her group 2000 extra because apparently they kept the place open laster then usual, even though I heard my mom tell him the exact time they were booking it till on the phone. Their food tastes disgusting too.

As for the OP, when you do get a hookah, best type of flavor is mixing bubble gum with 2 apple. so good.

ChokeOnOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:58 AM
  #16
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokeOnOil View Post
My mom did a new years party there last year and they charged her and her group 2000 extra because apparently they kept the place open laster then usual, even though I heard my mom tell him the exact time they were booking it till on the phone. Their food tastes disgusting too.

As for the OP, when you do get a hookah, best type of flavor is mixing bubble gum with 2 apple. so good.
That is retarded! An extra $2000?? Wow.

Bubble gum and 2 apple is interesting...I've had a grape and 2 apple mix before which is very good.


P.S. I should stay out of this thread because it's making me want an argili/shisha/hookah/whatever now

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:05 AM
  #17
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
Ya, I went to the Sultan place once and will not go again. The service sucked and they automatically add a tip onto the bill...which is why the service sucks so bad.

What you need to do is find a arabic friend, we all have them in our houses and our freezers are stocked with tobacco that we brought back from Lebanon/where ever since it's so much cheaper there.
one time i went to sultan and some old man brought us a shisha that tasted like parsley...he didn't even ask us the flavour we wanted and i didn't even get a buzz...that is one weird place..

arabic friends are always a good resource, but pakistani's aren't slouches when it comes to hookah's either..i own two myself and no social event is complete without lighting one up..i've even experimented with coke, milk and juice..my favourite tobacco is rose and grape...come to think of it, i may be a hookah fiend..

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:09 AM
  #18
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
one time i went to sultan and some old man brought us a shisha that tasted like parsley...he didn't even ask us the flavour we wanted and i didn't even get a buzz...that is one weird place..

arabic friends are always a good resource, but pakistani's aren't slouches when it comes to hookah's either..i own two myself and no social event is complete without lighting one up..i've even experimented with coke, milk and juice..my favourite tobacco is rose and grape...come to think of it, i may be a hookah fiend..
We considered getting one when we were there, but we didn't like the atmosphere enough to stay around long enough to smoke one.

Have you ever had one that is made in a fruit? I've seen it with an apple, melon, maybe orange as the base where the water goes. As for your mix, rose and grape?? I absolutely hate rose flavoured stuff so I couldn't go for that. I think I hate rose flavoured stuff so much because in Lebanon, they make like rose flavoured juice and **** it tastes like perfume and it has ruined rose flavoured everything for me.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:22 AM
  #19
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
We considered getting one when we were there, but we didn't like the atmosphere enough to stay around long enough to smoke one.

Have you ever had one that is made in a fruit? I've seen it with an apple, melon, maybe orange as the base where the water goes. As for your mix, rose and grape?? I absolutely hate rose flavoured stuff so I couldn't go for that. I think I hate rose flavoured stuff so much because in Lebanon, they make like rose flavoured juice and **** it tastes like perfume and it has ruined rose flavoured everything for me.
i think i've heard about those fruit ones but i've never tried it..yeah i know about the rose flavoured drinks.. there's this syrup called rooh-afzah and its made from flowers and some other stuff..it's actually tasty when mixed in milk..

have you seen this? it looks crazy and i want it:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/clif...fit-mac-lovers

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:31 AM
  #20
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
i think i've heard about those fruit ones but i've never tried it..yeah i know about the rose flavoured drinks.. there's this syrup called rooh-afzah and its made from flowers and some other stuff..it's actually tasty when mixed in milk..

have you seen this? it looks crazy and i want it:

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/clif...fit-mac-lovers
The rose stuff we make is mixed with water, and it's ****ing disgusting. We also have some rose syrup which is used in some lebanese sweets. If I can taste the rose, I can't eat the sweets.

That thing looks so cool, I wonder what one would cost.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:34 AM
  #21
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Pro tip: instead of putting ice in the water in the hookah base, toss a couple of handfuls of frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc) and a bunch of fresh mint leaves into the water instead.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:40 AM
  #22
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Pro tip: instead of putting ice in the water in the hookah base, toss a couple of handfuls of frozen berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, etc) and a bunch of fresh mint leaves into the water instead.
You put ice or frozen berries in the water? We never do that. I've heard of it before, but don't think I've ever put either in there.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:50 AM
  #23
The Human Torch
Registered User
 
The Human Torch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Amsterdam
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 5,115
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
You put ice or frozen berries in the water? We never do that. I've heard of it before, but don't think I've ever put either in there.
Putting ice in the water is a pretty standard practice. As the smoke passes through the ice water it cools down, making the smoke thicker and cooler and generally much more enjoyable.

I've found that using frozen berries instead of ice flavors the smoke as well, which can work really nicely with a milder shisha (such as double apple).

The mint leaves in the water give a bit of, well, minty sensation to the smoke. Kinda like a really mild menthol cigarette without the stigma of smoking a menthol cigarette.

You can also experiment with adding an ounce or so of a sweet liqueur (port, brandy, etc.) to the water as well, though I've never tried this myself. I've even heard of people using a 50/50 mix of milk and water, though I would guess that I wouldn't enjoy having to clean my hookah out after filling it up with milk for a couple of hours...

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:49 PM
  #24
Rin
Registered User
 
Rin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 12,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Putting ice in the water is a pretty standard practice. As the smoke passes through the ice water it cools down, making the smoke thicker and cooler and generally much more enjoyable.

I've found that using frozen berries instead of ice flavors the smoke as well, which can work really nicely with a milder shisha (such as double apple).

The mint leaves in the water give a bit of, well, minty sensation to the smoke. Kinda like a really mild menthol cigarette without the stigma of smoking a menthol cigarette.

You can also experiment with adding an ounce or so of a sweet liqueur (port, brandy, etc.) to the water as well, though I've never tried this myself. I've even heard of people using a 50/50 mix of milk and water, though I would guess that I wouldn't enjoy having to clean my hookah out after filling it up with milk for a couple of hours...
Interesting, if I ever make my own lol (which I never do) i'll try it with the ice or frozen berries.

I agree, washing out the water and milk mix would suck. I would probably barf from the smell if it's as bad as I think it would be.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:30 PM
  #25
nameht
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
thanks for the help.. especially Rin for all those addresses!


there is one more place I just found out about, going to try check it out this week sometime

Nyala East African
10875 98 Street Northwest, Edmonton, AB T5H 2P6

nameht is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.