HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Gilroy a Disappointment?

View Poll Results: How has Gilroy perform so far?
Much better than I expected 4 2.26%
A little better than I expected 17 9.60%
Exactly as I expected 80 45.20%
A little worse than I expected 61 34.46%
A lot worse than I expected 15 8.47%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2010, 03:19 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Is Gilroy a Disappointment?

For a guy some compared to Brian Leetch during the summer, I'd say he's a disappointment. For $2.5 we could've gotten a player who got more than 6 points or one who lands punishing hits and clears the crease.

I get that he's a rookie, but unless he picks up scoring in the next year and a half, there's no way he's getting the same contract again. His performance so far would be worth $1. He's been very, very average ... for a third pairing defenseman.

Occasionally there are flashes of brilliance with the puck, but then even that goes nowhere. He reminds me of Tom Poti, but worse.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:34 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

im going to say exactly as i expected...but thats really misleading. I think hes better defensively than I expected, and hes worse offensively than I expected...so they sorta even out in that aspect making him, roughly, what i expected. a kid with some talent who still needs to mature and learn the game at this level.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 04:23 AM
trilobyte

The talent he showed earlier has not disappeared. It's just hiding right now. I think he will show more of that in future. 2.5 mil is a lot, but I know that skills disp;ayed very recently do not just disappear.

Lots of people talk about how Drury's $$ hit should not be expected to result in an equal $$ level of performance. Just using that logic, Gilroy should get at the very, very least the same level of benefit of doubt, and I would say much more, since he is a rookie.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:01 AM
shon

I would say quite disappointed considering the hype connected with his award he won in college.
This is the NHL not college hockey. Awards like that are deceiving.eg Eric Reitz won best defenseman of the OHL.I could name a few more that won awards and never made it too far.
Gilroy is a fabulous skater and has potential. I don't think he is physical enough.
Maybe he would have benefited from a season in hartford.
He should be put on the wing. I think he would be good.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
I would say quite disappointed considering the hype connected with his award he won in college.
This is the NHL not college hockey. Awards like that are deceiving.eg Eric Reitz won best defenseman of the OHL.I could name a few more that won awards and never made it too far.
Gilroy is a fabulous skater and has potential. I don't think he is physical enough.
Maybe he would have benefited from a season in hartford.
He should be put on the wing. I think he would be good.
i dont. hes got a scott gomez sissy shot. its why i dont like him on the power play, hes really only good for end to end rushes...other than that i dont think he brings a tremendous amount to the offensive side of things...his passing is barely average imho.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:54 AM
jniklast

His cap hit is just $1.75 million though, isn't it?

jniklast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
Gilroy has worked hard and there is going to be a transition period, his biggest problem was his battle level and then he gets sent down and comes back and hasn't shown much offensively since, but he will get that back soon he just i think is concentrating on the d side of things now. He may not show what he is truly capable of until next season, but it is all about transition and he is going to be a great offensive dman for us for many many years to come!

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:37 AM
The Thomas J.*

For a guy who stepped out of College into the NHL I think he has done farily well. He needs work on everything. His defense is much better than I thought. He has disappeared on offense.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:12 AM
NYRangers09

The biggest complaint that I have with Gilroy is his lack of strength along the boards, but I think that is something that can be easily fixed through upper-body strength training.

NYRangers09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineice11 View Post
he is going to be a great offensive dman for us for many many years to come!
"Great"?

Are we talking Leetch or only Zubov here?

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:05 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

A little surprised at the lack of Assists.

I expected him to struggle defensively, which he has. My 3yo son could outmuscle him down low/on the boards.
The complete lack of offense is surprising to me. Considering this teams inability to score I suppose I should not be all that surprised. I did not expect goals, but thought 20A was not out of the question. 2A on the year is awful.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:07 AM
Callahan Auto
Rational Police

He looks like he doesn't want to make a mistake that leaves his partner vulnerable defensively so he's playing a pretty timid game right now. On the bright side, he hasn't been making those huge defensive mistakes that many thought he would be making. Every once and a while you'll see him make a move with his skating that not many D-Men can. Also, we didn't pay him 1.75 to be worth 1.75 to start out his contract. We paid him that because we're betting that he's going to be worth more than that once he becomes fully acclimated to the NHL. Considering that he's been worth 1 million, he'll only have to be a 2.5 million dollar guy by the end of his contract to have earned his contract money. I think there's a good chance that he will be that by the end of his contract and, in my opinion, probably even better. Plus, he's a RFA at the end of that contract and that should help us even more.

Callahan Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
SML

HE went from being the oldest kid playing against a bunch of kids to playing in the best league in the entire world. You can't expect him to go out and win the Norris trophy. He's a gamble, he may pay off he may not. He's got alot more potential than most of the other butchers you got skating around making 1.75, and he was a free asset. That's a win. He's certainly not the worst dman on the team.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:10 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
My 3yo son could outmuscle him down low/on the boards.
I think we still have some cap room. Would he work for league minimum?

Old
01-03-2010, 10:15 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

After watching him a good bit in college and now with the Rangers, Gilroy has shown exactly what I expected him to. For all his speed, I have never been very high on him because his shot is not good enough to make him a legitimate NHL offensive threat. Furthermore he is incredibly soft defensively - and I'm not just talking about hitting. He rarely even leans on a uy in front of the
net or makes a strong stick check.

Now he is a rookie so I hate to be so critical and he certainly can improve, but thus far I'm not surprised.

01-03-2010, 10:16 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Is he a disappointment? No, he's a rookie.

01-03-2010, 10:18 AM
bubba5

He is a 25 year old rookie, what did we expect here?

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:27 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

More than 2A!

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:42 AM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Did anyone expect him to get sent down to Hartford? That fact combined with a $1.4 million you'd have to consider him a disappointment at THIS POINT of the season. I expected him to contribute a little more to the stability of the defense.

Compare Gilroy's rookie year to Girardi's.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:43 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
He is a 25 year old rookie, what did we expect here?
Well that's the question. Is he living up to the fanbase's pre-season expectations? Expectations for him were established high exactly BECAUSE he is 25. It was widely felt that his age, experience, and more developed body would make him a highly effective rookie. In short, many (most?) felt that he wouldn't look much like a rookie because he's so much older than your average rookie.

But I think the answer to the question depends on how much one believed the high-end hype that was being offered by some when he was signed. (Or is still being offered.) Personally I had no expectations; I'd never seen the kid play and therefore had no basis for making an assessment.

For that reason he's neither a success nor a disappointment for me. Based on what I see, I don't believe he's going to be a top-end offensive defenseman, but he seems - with more work - to have the makings of a 2nd or 3rd pairing NHL career.

Last edited by dedalus: 01-03-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old
01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
beastly115

The only thing about Gilroy that I'm disappointed about is his lack of offense. The guy showed was brilliant offensively during pre-season then when the regular season started, he stopped it. It's like he was only doing it to make the team. Shame.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:54 AM
Sayba

I think the coaching staff has messed up his game. They let him be what he was in the pre-season and we all saw what he was capable of but when the regular season started they put him on a leash and don't allow him to use his skill. It is similar to what they were trying to do with Staal trying to turn him into a something he wasn't. I can understand the coaching staff wanting him to play defense but cmon when you have a guy with the wheels of Gilroy you need to let him do his thing a little.

Sayba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
Compare Gilroy's rookie year to Girardi's.
Compare the expectations.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Ranger Angst

For all the hype - he's been ordinary & he's already 25 , so how good is he going to get ?
MAybe a solid #4 D-Man.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:04 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding RangerBlue View Post
For all the hype - he's been ordinary & he's already 25 , so how good is he going to get ?
MAybe a solid #4 D-Man.
What hype?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote