HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andy Murray fired. Davis Payne named interim coach

Old
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorBlue View Post
I don't know to much about Davis Payne he is an offensive coach?...I hope he can turn this team around or he could become another..... pain.
Payne has a big fan in Predators radio broadcaster Tom Callahan, from his previous work in Peoria, who describes the coach certainly as an "up-tempo, offensive-minded" coach...

Quote:
Preds radio broadcaster Tom Callahan is familiar with new St. Louis coach Davis Payne. Payne was an assistant coach for the Peoria Rivermen while Callahan was working there. ``In the time Ive known him and worked with him, he is a tireless worker, Callahan said. ``He is very energetic, very driven to succeed and a guy who is really going to ask a lot of his players. Hes really going to squeeze every last bit of effort out of those guys. Hes been known for coaching an offensive, up-tempo kind of style. It will be interesting to see if St. Louis allows him to implement that style or what kind of compromise theyll have to come with based on the players they already have. But Davis is definitely going to come into that locker room and try to implement change and get that team turned around in a big hurry.
http://blogs.tennessean.com/predator...n-likely-back/

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:19 PM
EOM

This is fantastic news!

I hope the guy above me is right about Payne being an offensive-minded coach. That's exactly what this team needs. We've got a lot of forward depth but Murray's system was never right for them.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:32 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I feel sorry for Murray, but something had to be done.

Let's hope Payne does well.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:33 PM
DP 57

I wonder how much the checking line will be used with an offensive-minded coach. I think there will eventually be some redistribution of playing time, maybe not tonight as it will be Payne's first game, but certainly in the future. We should get to see some exciting, fast-paced, offensive hockey.

Best of luck to AM.

DP 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:40 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I professional sports its pretty rare for a coach to end their tenure without getting fired. Its just the way the business works. Getting fired doesn't mean that someone is a "bad coach". There are plenty of guys who have won championships in major sports only to be fired a few seasons later. I know its not the same sport, but Bobby Bowden was just essentially forced out, and look at the success he had in his career.

I think Murray is a good coach, and made a big positive contribution to the Blues. He provided structure and completely changed the direction of the franchise when he replaced Kitchen. Despite all the belly-aching from a few fans, he's done a great job helping to develop the young players. Just looking at the complete game that Perron plays now. I wonder what Brad Boyes' game would look like if a guy like Murray had coached him from day one. During the most impressionable time in their careers, Murray helped to instill a work ethic and attention to the complete game for the young guys.

Its also clear the Blues had to do something. Coaches' messages start to grow stale, and then it gets harder and harder to get the players' attention. There are some coaches who just yell louder and use intimidation tactics to accomplish that. I'm not sure Murray is that kind of guy, but I do think the players were starting to tune him out. Neither Checketts' or Pleau's speeches demonstrated any lasting effect.

Anyway, I don't know much about Payne's philosophy or play style. I think the fresh voice and the enthusiasm of a man in his first NHL job should provide an atmosphere for the team to change direction. They still have all the ingredients to be playoff caliber. Over time (I won't start to judge until after the Olympic break) Payne's playing style will be more fully implemented. That's going to be an interesting comparison.

I'm looking forward to some Peoria observers' opinions.

I wish Murray well. I think he has a lot to offer to the right team, and wish him success. On the other hand, I think he also should enjoy this chance to relax for a while and savor life. He strikes me as a guy who puts in very long tireless hours, and I'm sure he could benefit from a bit of a vacation.

Anyway, tonight's game becomes more intriguing than it already was.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 12:47 PM
ChicagoBlues

Payne is definitely an offensive-style coach. Just look at they way they assembled Peoria's roster. The defensive corps is/was (until Bell was traded) so offensive that it is/was defensively irresponsible.

A bunch of you called it over at the Countdown thread.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Felix29

This, combined with a strong WJC... does Pietrangelo see the light of day this season now?

Felix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
As a Kings fan, I haven't closely followed your AM troubles. A quick scan of the last few pages of the "Fire Murray Countdown" thread sadly seemed all too familiar. You could have changed a few of the player's names and the dates to 2005/6 season, then reposted them on the Kings board - same story.

I knew the end was near a couple of days ago when I saw that Derek Armstrong was being called up from the AHL. Armstrong is the prototypical AM player - hard working with very little skill or creativity, but willing to follow the coach's system to the letter.

Andy Murray is one the nicest, most approachable sports figures you will ever meet. Unfortunately his coaching style doesn't seem to fit in the NHL. IMO, he would be much more effective as a college coach. I wish him good luck in his future endeavors.
I actually think Murray would be a great college coach.

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 01:50 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Payne is definitely an offensive-style coach. Just look at they way they assembled Peoria's roster. The defensive corps is/was (until Bell was traded) so offensive that it is/was defensively irresponsible.

A bunch of you called it over at the Countdown thread.
What does that have to do with his coaching? The coach doesn't construct the roster.

Maybe he did coach an offensive style, but only because those were the pieces given to him. Maybe with the Blues roster and their good defensive players he won't coach the same way since it doesn't fit the pieces we have, or something. Who knows?

Just have to wait and see, I hope all this optimism bears fruit.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Payne is all about puck management, physical play, sound defense. His biggest thing I have heard is that he wants a very fast transition from defense to offense, which really get the play moving and defenseman on their heals.

But you can listen to his interview here

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:04 PM
Scouter

vCash: 154
I don't know if this is a good move, this is the guy who brought you back to the playoffs and he is repaid like this, I really think it's more of a case of all the hot rookies you had last year going into sophomore slumps, it happens, maybe management isn't so good after all.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:13 PM
number 77

I assume Payne is on a half-season trial as head coach. Congrats to Rick Wamsley on getting his own team.

number 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:16 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
I don't know if this is a good move, this is the guy who brought you back to the playoffs and he is repaid like this, I really think it's more of a case of all the hot rookies you had last year going into sophomore slumps, it happens, maybe management isn't so good after all.
Payne decides who plays and who does not play. I think management tries to assemble the "best roster possible", but also consider the coach and his style when selecting particular players.

I think this move is great because, even though Murray was a good coach and several players need the axe as well, he was coaching too conservatively with the lead. That's pretty much what it boils down to. The effects of that style were that the better and younger players like Berglund and Perron were benched for long stretches of the game.

I love KT, but my worst fear has been realized; he's finally lost it. He may have one more decent year left in him, but it won't be with The Blues.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:17 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 77 View Post
I assume Payne is on a half-season trial as head coach. Congrats to Rick Wamsley on getting his own team.
Not so fast.

Old
01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 77 View Post
I would recommend watching this if you think that is the case....Link

As far as Wammer getting the head coaching job...I am very happy for him. He should help our goalies down there too!

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 02:32 PM
journeyman79

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept View Post

journeyman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:05 PM
ChicagoBlues

Oops! I was a little slow on the uptake there.

Congrats to new Peoria Head Coach Rick Wamsley.

Old
01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix29 View Post
This, combined with a strong WJC... does Pietrangelo see the light of day this season now?
It's possible. We'll just have to wait and see.
Oh, and I like how I change my avatar to the FIRE ME avatar, the next day, he's gone!

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:30 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Bottom line to me was it was a boring coaching style he was preaching. I don't mind this team losing (they aren't that good yet) but for it to be a losing team which is boring to watch...that is going to spell death in this economy.

I am very curious how the team responds, its not going to be an easy transition I don't think.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 03:33 PM
Scouter

vCash: 154
The team overachieved last season and alot of the credit has to go to Murray, what a poor move in my books

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
The team overachieved last season and alot of the credit has to go to Murray, what a poor move in my books
If he lost the team, he lost the team. But he is taking the heat for players like Brad Boyes, Paul Kariya, Patrik Berglund, and David Backes not scoring like they have in his system in the past.

Hiring Payne was a bad move in my books. He has only had 1.5 years of AHL coaching and has never coached a current Blue. He probably would have been a NHL down the line, but this is far too early IMO.

I think this move is going to hurt our defense and goaltending most, as they played very well within Murrays system.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Cheli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Payne is all about puck management, physical play, sound defense. His biggest thing I have heard is that he wants a very fast transition from defense to offense, which really get the play moving and defenseman on their heals.

But you can listen to his interview here
Wouldn't that be nice?

Quote:
Quote:
What are you trying to say?

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:31 PM
EOM

I put this in the thread on the main boards as well. According to the article on nhl.com, Payne has coached several of the Blues' young players in some capacity. Here's a quote and link:

Quote:
Forwards like Oshie, Perron, Berglund and Lars Eller as well as blue-liners Erik Johnson, Alex Pietrangelo, Roman Polak and Jonas Junland represent the future core of this franchise. Payne has at one point or another coached all of them, be it in Peoria or during the Traverse City Prospects Tournament.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=512041

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
I put this in the thread on the main boards as well. According to the article on nhl.com, Payne has coached several of the Blues' young players in some capacity. Here's a quote and link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=512041
Big difference between a one week tournament and coaching in any official capacity with these guys.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:05 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle and Flow View Post
Big difference between a one week tournament and coaching in any official capacity with these guys.
yep, one often proceeds the other.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote