HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Andy Murray fired. Davis Payne named interim coach

Old
01-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
yep, one often proceeds the other.
Obviously not until now in this case.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Congrats Blues!!!!! Great news for you

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:32 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I liked Murray. Sad to see this happen to him. But something had to give.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Nine to Five
Now Eight to Four!

We canucks are coach killers.
It's the third time it's happened in two years that a coach has been fired after we played them.

Nine to Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine to Five View Post
We canucks are coach killers.
It's the third time it's happened in two years that a coach has been fired after we played them.
Must mean teams are ashamed to loose to you?

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:21 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
It wasn't clear to me until watching JD's press conference: Payne is hired as "interim" for the rest of the season. Basically, the team is free to explore someone else for next season if Payne doesn't wow them, without waiting to fire him before they start interviewing people.

I do think that is smarter than making a scramble or taking the best they could find at a time when there aren't a lot of great options jumping out.

All that said, what little I know about Payne sounds pretty encouraging. I think his philosophy will be a good change for the club. The fact that he hasn't coached in the NHL before doesn't matter to me. In fact, I like the idea of finding a rising talent better than going after an old retread.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
YANNIC44

What does this say about Pleau and his authority now? Didn't he lambast these guys just last week and said the coach wasn't going anywhere? Well, these guys got the coach fired however so and management just cut him off at the knees by caving and firing AM.

Sending down a then struggling kid like Berglund for a week might've worked 2 weeks ago to get the message across.

YANNIC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:10 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mor...yne-interview/

Quote:
On philosophy of playing with the lead late in games . . .

“You’re talking about winning habits. A large part of that is puck management, but also a bigger part to that is the steps that you take. You have to take bold steps in this game. You have to have the ability to defend. You have to continue to be physical. You have to continue to direct the play at their net and force them to play 200 feet and force them to play through you. We want to be the type of team that you can’t tell what the score is. You can look at the game tape, you can look at the picture on the ice at any given moment and recognize that we’re playing our game . . . where playing the style of game that we want to play. Obviously there will be some changes late when you’re trying to create something when you’re down by a goal or two. But when you’re up, obviously your puck decisions and your drive to continue to apply pressure away from your net is (important) to be successful. But there’s also discipline in doing that. There’s return responsibilities by our forwards, there’s gaps, there’s lane assignments by (defensemen). But I believe in order to win a game, take bold steps. You have to continue to play that way.”
Now lets see if his actions match his words.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:39 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mor...son-interview/

Quote:
On hiring Davis Payne . . .

“With this situation, we did quite a bit of research.
So this suggets the axe has been ready to drop awhile now, the west coast swing just delayed it.

Quote:
On how Murray took the news . . .

“Andy came up to the office at about 10 after seven this morning with Larry (Pleau) and I. We had, not a long converation, but it was something quite special because Andy’s a class guy

On who made this decision - you or a group effort . . .

“I make the call. It’s a process where our group gets together, and we did a lot of it … we do it all the time anyway. Your job is to assess your organization as almost daily or weekly as you go through different stretches of the games. We talked a lot about every aspect of it.

Hockey operations with Larry Pleau, Doug Armstrong and Al MacInnis and myself, we had a lot of talks. Yesterday, we spent a lot time here discussing this situation. Once we made our determination, I called owndership and they allow us to do what we want to do. We’re the ones in charge and they blessed us and we went forward with it.

On how the loss to Vancouver Thursday factored into the decision to fire Murray . . .

“That’s such a hypothetical question. We didn’t win. That’s the problem, we didn’t win.”

On if it was the last straw . . .

“I don’t know. It’s kind of maybe the way we lost, if anything else. It’s such a mental game at times. This league is so close. In the old days, there were a lot of 6-1 wins and 6-1 losses. You don’t see many of those, and if you do, it’s probably because of exhaustion where teams had to travel because teams had to play so many games with the Olympics here. But every night, it’s such a fine line. You need to be there with your mindset as much as anything else, and we just haven’t been there consistently anyway.”

On how close the Blues were to firing Murray two or three weeks ago . . .

“We weren’t. We weren’t close. This happened yesterday with our meetings. … We felt today was the right day to do it. It made sense.”

On Murray’s downfall . . .

“I don’t know. All I can tell you is Andy worked about 20 hours a day. He lived across the street, he wore a Bluenote on his chest, he cared about the team. A lot of times, he went out and coached youth kids, youth leagues. He just did things and nobody even knew about it. He was promoting hockey all the time. The guy loves hockey. We made a change. I just basically want to say Andy did a good job for us. he helped us get to where we are. We’re in a much, much better position than we were three or four years ago as an organization. We have a chance to become a whole lot better and this is just part of that evolution. We needed a change, we felt. This is where we’re going.”
So Pleau was right at the time, opinions change and considering Pleau is leaving I don't think it does much of anything. It isn't Larry's job to motivate the players, its the coach's.

Quote:
On whether there will be roster moves . .

“No, no, not at all. Nope.”
I don't know if that is the right thing for JD to say but then again I don't buy it for a minute.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
butteredtoast

When it worked it worked, but it wasn't working anymore so it was time to move on.

I'll bet AM get's another shot in the NHL at some point.

butteredtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 08:47 PM
sbkbghockey

Na na nana! hey hey hey Goodbye!!!!!!!

Thanks JD for the late Christmas Gift to players, fans, prospects, etc..!!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 10:00 PM
execwrite

I hope this works, but it sounds like a desperation move.

Murray probably had to go, but don't see how Payne turns things around.

No playoffs this year, time to think about next season.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Murray had some classy comments after the firing. Evidently, he also left a handwritten letter for Payne that was very positive. One thing I really appreciated in his interview, Andy said that he believes this is a playoff team, he believes in these players and that he has no doubt they'll make the playoffs this year.

I hope he finds a good place to practice his passion for the game. He represented St Louis well.

I'm not sure why there is negativity about Payne. He's an interim coach. He's got a half a season to tryout for the regular job. Tune it to how the team is playing after the Olympics break, and I think we'll know what Payne's brand of hockey looks like. Unfortunately, the Blues have almost as much ground to make up as last year to get back into the playoffs. Hopefully they'll start sooner.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/mor...son-interview/

On whether there will be roster moves . .

“No, no, not at all. Nope.”

I don't know if that is the right thing for JD to say but then again I don't buy it for a minute.
I don't think JD meant that the team would stand pat all the way to the trade deadline. He DID say, in his interview, that Payne needs time to see what he has to work with. He intimated that there would be no trades for 2-3 weeks or so(?). At least that's what it sounded like to me: "No changes are planned". And then the comment about his needing to get to know the team. I don't think he ruled out trades near the trade deadline, or releases or sending players to Peoria, or bringing some up. The jury is still out on Pietrangelo, too. Management has to find out if Niagara can trade his rights, and where The Blues are when The WJC ends.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Selke

Hopefully this guy will know what's best for your prospects because man, Murray had no clue. With all that talent coming up you're gonna need it.

But in case you guys have no room, your friends here in Chicago would love to have T.J. Oshie or Patrik Berglund.

Selke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:53 AM
milieu bluez

milieu bluez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:37 AM
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
with payne as now the coach, when pietrangelo gets back from the wjc will he see more playing time? or was it because of poor play because i was under the impression he wasnt getting playing time for his youth.

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:01 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConoR187 View Post
with payne as now the coach, when pietrangelo gets back from the wjc will he see more playing time? or was it because of poor play because i was under the impression he wasnt getting playing time for his youth.
I've yet to see anything from Payne regarding this, but you'd have to think that if Pietrangelo comes back from the WJC with the Top Defenseman Award, as some are expecting, you'd have to think we'll either give him some ice time, or his Junior team will trade his rights elsewhere to get value for him should we send him back down.

The problem, of course, is that his defense still sucks and isn't at NHL level, and our defense is our big problem right now. So, really, we're in a tough spot trying to find room for him while our defense is struggling.

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Habit AK

I know it's been posted a couple times, so my apologies if it's already in this thread, but here's an interesting blurb about Payne from a former player: http://www.jtbourne.com/coach/

A couple comments from other former players under Payne too.

Habit AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 06:19 PM
TerminatorBlue

He will be here for the rest of the year and if our guys don't start playing I can see some of them being traded.

Last edited by TerminatorBlue: 01-04-2010 at 06:41 PM.
TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

needed to be done

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:07 PM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit AK View Post
I know it's been posted a couple times, so my apologies if it's already in this thread, but here's an interesting blurb about Payne from a former player: http://www.jtbourne.com/coach/
Reading this makes me feel a little better about the change. However, I still wonder how the veterans are going to take to him.

TimothyR is offline   Reply With Quote