HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roenick Joins LAKings.com ... LOL

Old
01-04-2010, 12:03 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

vCash: 500
He joined the Kings website, not the team. Folks need to keep this in perspective. I can't stand the guy either, but it's not like he's going to be coaching the team or have any sort of impact on players or hockey operations.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
wow - look at this reply I got from the Kings on the feedback I submitted:

"Thanks for the email xxxxx. Your response is exactly the reason he was
hire. He was brought here to talk about his opinions, to stir up
controversy and talk about hockey...he was not brought here to play on
the team, which would really be the only way I would understand a
complaint about him joining the organization. His addition was a
fantastic one and one that we are really excited about here on
LAKings.com. We would love it though if you expressed your displeasure
on our forum for JR:
http://fans.kings.nhl.com/forums/107"

Unbelievable
That's a standard response. I got the same email message.

I wrote them another email. Let's see what their response will be to that, if any.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
He joined the Kings website, not the team. Folks need to keep this in perspective. I can't stand the guy either, but it's not like he's going to be coaching the team or have any sort of impact on players or hockey operations.
He, in no way deserves to be associated with the kings in any way PERIOD!

If anything, I can't understand how some of you guys have an indifferent view on this?

Old
01-04-2010, 01:02 PM
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Is this serious? This quote has gotta be a joke, right?

… Wow. Just, WOW. Yes, let’s keep Gretzky away from the Kings’ organization because:

- He came to a Kings team that finished 18th of 21 teams, and improved that to 4th of 21, while becoming the only King to win the league MVP in the process

- He came to a team that had won 4 playoff series in 21 seasons, and in the first five years of his tenure the same team wins 6 playoff series

- He helped the team defeat two defending Cup champions in the playoffs in consecutive years, something the Kings never did before he got here

- He was the Kings playoff MVP and virtually carried them to their only Stanley Cup Final appearance in 1993

- He was instrumental in turning the franchise around economically, from a team that barely drew 10,000 a game (with fudged attendance counts, no less) to a team that drew complete sellouts for a full season, as well as seeing the team’s merchandise and memorabilia sales skyrocket to number one of all sports teams

- He saw the owner he befriended and treated like a member of his own family become convicted of fraud and the team dissolved around him due to lack of funds

- He saw the next ownership group also go belly up, and the team diminished to the point where noted superstars such as Vitali Yachmenev and Rob Cowie are playing alongside him on the team’s TOP five-man unit.

- He rightfully requested a trade, knowing that his high salary was preventing the team from carrying out their inevitable rebuilding process

See, that quote up top is why Kings’ fans get a bad rap around the league; stupid ingrate **** like this. Wonder why Kings’ fans are considered a joke? That, right there.

It’s one thing to rip Roenick -- of course any good Kings’ fan should; he did nothing here and he blamed everyone but himself.

It’s another to disavow Blake -- I suppose it’s a case of taking management’s side over the player’s, but then that somewhat ignores the fact that Blake was the team’s best defenseman when they made the Stanley Cup Finals, and also was the man largely responsible for dragging the Kings into the playoffs in 1998 and 2000. I wouldn’t agree with it, but since we’ll probably never know the real truth about everything, I can understand why there are two sides to that coin.

But to cast aside what Gretzky did for this franchise is just saying you simply don’t appreciate greatness. That as a fan, you’re so comfortable with losing, you can’t wait to avail yourself of a winner. Are there really people out there who don’t think Wayne knows about hockey or about winning? That there isn’t anything he can impart on the players and the staff of the organization? That anyone involved with the Kings who, when addressed by him, wouldn’t give him his full attention? He doesn’t have to be a head coach here. He doesn’t even have to be an assistant. But to say he has NOTHING to offer a team that is crying for ANY winning influence it can possibly get? That’s unbelievable. It shows how little the Kings value winning and how little they value their history to bring in a guy like Roenick over Gretzky.

I suppose it’s apropos that you have a guy in your avatar who was known for being vindictive and petty, a man who never came close to winning anything at the NHL level as a player or a coach, yet someone whose ego was such that he couldn’t allow the team that he coached to go out there and win. He instead had to put himself above that team, grandstand, and make a big show of benching the best player he ever had the good fortune to coach. And what did it do? It made him rightfully look like the unappreciative and ungrateful ass he was, and cost him his job. It’s quite telling.

THIS!!

Gretzky was the best thing that ever happened to this team... Point blank. He brought this team deeper into the playoffs (right to the finals) farther then the any kings team had been before, and hasn't even gotten close to that finals since. He damn well may have saved the franchise and kept them in Los Angeles from all the attention he brought to the team and the game of hockey. To kick the guy who maybe kept this team in LA is just plain wrong. Yes they gave up a lot to get Gretzky and yes MAYBE it hurt our franchise in the late 90's, but that's all MAYBE.. who knows who we would've picked with those picks. They could have all been duds, or more likely we would have traded them away for a rental player and lost in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Here's the latest response from lakings.com in response to my email about JR:

I do get it. We are getting tons of hits…the rest of the NHL is embracing this…NHL.com is posting every episode. This is must see TV on our site…The rest of the NHL will come, if Kings fans do not want to embrace that, that is their decision.

Here is what the Globe and Mail had to say about it: I added the quote and the link to the story…This was a homerun. Feel free to comment about your feelings about him on the fan forum I sent over in a previous email…

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1417805/

Loveable blabbermouth Jeremy Roenick starts a new gig this week. He has joined LAKings.com as a featured contributor and will contribute a regular video blog called The JRgument to the Hockeywood LA section of the team's website. Hockeywood LA is an on-line social network for Kings' fans that is getting oodles of traffic this year, with the team on the rise. According to Luc Robitaille, the Kings' president of business operations and Roenick's former teammate, "JR has always been outspoken and brash." No arguing that. If Roenick gets a chance to speak his mind on a team website, it should be fun for all.

Old
01-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Ratings, ratings, ratings... This isn't about Kings fans, but exposure and ratings.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Here's their latest response:

You are actually saying that Roenick, who played over 1,300 games and scored over 500 goals and played close to 20 seasons in the NHL, has NO CREDIBILITY? I am absolutely speechless. You appear to be confusing your hatred of Roenick because of his one poor season in LA with his overall career as an NHLer, which was top notch…He has credibility, he has personality and he will say things that others won’t in a Don Cheeryesque sort of way, which makes him a perfect addition to the Kings website and gives him a forum to discuss what ever he sees fit. If Kings nation does not want to tune in, that is a shame because the rest of the NHL does and will tune in. The very fact that you are taking time out of your day to debate/email the LAKings.com webmaster accomplishes exactly what we had hoped his addition would accomplish, make waves and bring attention to the Kings website…which promotes our team which we feel is a wonderful, young team that is maturing into a perennial Stanley Cup contender over the next few years…

Old
01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

You are actually saying that Roenick, who played over 1,300 games and scored over 500 goals and played close to 20 seasons in the NHL, has NO CREDIBILITY? I am absolutely speechless. You appear to be confusing your hatred of Roenick because of his one poor season in LA with his overall career as an NHLer, which was top notch…He has credibility, he has personality and he will say things that others won’t in a Don Cheeryesque sort of way, which makes him a perfect addition to the Kings website and gives him a forum to discuss what ever he sees fit. If Kings nation does not want to tune in, that is a shame because the rest of the NHL does and will tune in. The very fact that you are taking time out of your day to debate/email the LAKings.com webmaster accomplishes exactly what we had hoped his addition would accomplish, make waves and bring attention to the Kings website…which promotes our team which we feel is a wonderful, young team that is maturing into a perennial Stanley Cup contender over the next few years…
LOL....good for them. That's a great response to people like yourself who are *****ing and moaning about something so trivial.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:02 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Quote:

For a team that has had zero media attention in the last how many years, the Kings have to do what they have to do to get some. Look, for every Kings fan that hates JR, there are a hundred hockey fans that love him. If the Kings can get people to watch the video, maybe some people will stay, read Hammond, watch Kings Vision, post on Hockeywood, LA, etc.

As a Kings fan, I hate JR too. But, hey, this is a savy move for the Hockeywood, LA folks. Given the attention it's getting, I'd say the move is working.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
LOL....good for them. That's a great response to people like yourself who are *****ing and moaning about something so trivial.
LOL! Yeah, YOU of all posters got that right!

Old
01-04-2010, 03:04 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:

well there you have it. everyone whos whining needs to just grow up.

Last edited by TonySCV: 01-05-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: armchair moderating
KingsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
... Is this serious? This quote has gotta be a joke, right?

… Wow. Just, WOW. Yes, let’s keep Gretzky away from the Kings’ organization because:

- He came to a Kings team that finished 18th of 21 teams, and improved that to 4th of 21, while becoming the only King to win the league MVP in the process

- He came to a team that had won 4 playoff series in 21 seasons, and in the first five years of his tenure the same team wins 6 playoff series

- He helped the team defeat two defending Cup champions in the playoffs in consecutive years, something the Kings never did before he got here

- He was the Kings playoff MVP and virtually carried them to their only Stanley Cup Final appearance in 1993

- He was instrumental in turning the franchise around economically, from a team that barely drew 10,000 a game (with fudged attendance counts, no less) to a team that drew complete sellouts for a full season, as well as seeing the team’s merchandise and memorabilia sales skyrocket to number one of all sports teams

- He saw the owner he befriended and treated like a member of his own family become convicted of fraud and the team dissolved around him due to lack of funds

- He saw the next ownership group also go belly up, and the team diminished to the point where noted superstars such as Vitali Yachmenev and Rob Cowie are playing alongside him on the team’s TOP five-man unit.

- He rightfully requested a trade, knowing that his high salary was preventing the team from carrying out their inevitable rebuilding process

See, that quote up top is why Kings’ fans get a bad rap around the league; stupid ingrate **** like this. Wonder why Kings’ fans are considered a joke? That, right there.

It’s one thing to rip Roenick -- of course any good Kings’ fan should; he did nothing here and he blamed everyone but himself.

It’s another to disavow Blake -- I suppose it’s a case of taking management’s side over the player’s, but then that somewhat ignores the fact that Blake was the team’s best defenseman when they made the Stanley Cup Finals, and also was the man largely responsible for dragging the Kings into the playoffs in 1998 and 2000. I wouldn’t agree with it, but since we’ll probably never know the real truth about everything, I can understand why there are two sides to that coin.

But to cast aside what Gretzky did for this franchise is just saying you simply don’t appreciate greatness. That as a fan, you’re so comfortable with losing, you can’t wait to avail yourself of a winner. Are there really people out there who don’t think Wayne knows about hockey or about winning? That there isn’t anything he can impart on the players and the staff of the organization? That anyone involved with the Kings who, when addressed by him, wouldn’t give him his full attention? He doesn’t have to be a head coach here. He doesn’t even have to be an assistant. But to say he has NOTHING to offer a team that is crying for ANY winning influence it can possibly get? That’s unbelievable. It shows how little the Kings value winning and how little they value their history to bring in a guy like Roenick over Gretzky.

I suppose it’s apropos that you have a guy in your avatar who was known for being vindictive and petty, a man who never came close to winning anything at the NHL level as a player or a coach, yet someone whose ego was such that he couldn’t allow the team that he coached to go out there and win. He instead had to put himself above that team, grandstand, and make a big show of benching the best player he ever had the good fortune to coach. And what did it do? It made him rightfully look like the unappreciative and ungrateful ass he was, and cost him his job. It’s quite telling.
Get over yourself bud. There are plenty of Kings' fans that want nothing to do with Gretzky, and with good reason. I happen to think the people that are jokes are the ones that can't see past the end of their nose and one trip to the finals and observe the damage that was done to the franchise overall.

Your observation that they brought Roenick in over Gretzky is quite brilliant considering that everyone knows Lombardi asked Gretzky to be part of the organization and it looks like Wayne hasn't taken him up on it. Wonder why that is? Could it be because Wayne wouldn't be allowed to run the show?

As far as Ftorek goes. Yeah, he was a hard case as a coach, but I loved him as a player with the Roadrunners, so sue me. BTW, I saw the game in question, Gretzky was playing like s*** and deserved to be benched.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Quattro

it's unbelievable to me that they are just saying FU to Kings fans who are responding. They honestly don't care if Kings fans don't like it because fans of other teams will come to their joke of a site? Really? That d-bag "webmaster" needs to get canned.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:30 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Get over yourself bud. There are plenty of Kings' fans that want nothing to do with Gretzky, and with good reason. I happen to think the people that are jokes are the ones that can't see past the end of their nose and one trip to the finals and observe the damage that was done to the franchise overall.
That "damage" brought this team the MOST success it has ever had in its existence.

Without Gretzky in L.A., who do you blame for the other 33 or 34 years with ZERO success? Or I guess you may blame Gretzky for Kings failures before he came here, and you certainly are still blaming him right now I guess...??

Without Gretzky, would the Kings have 1 division and 1 conference championship? We'll never know, but I imagine you must think they would have reversed all of their history and won a couple of Cups, right??

Maybe you should get over yourself.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
it's unbelievable to me that they are just saying FU to Kings fans who are responding. They honestly don't care if Kings fans don't like it because fans of other teams will come to their joke of a site? Really?
If you think that this attitude is something new, go back and re-read the Rinkside View debate....

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
That "damage" brought this team the MOST success it has ever had in its existence.

Without Gretzky in L.A., who do you blame for the other 33 or 34 years with ZERO success? Or I guess you may blame Gretzky for Kings failures before he came here, and you certainly are still blaming him right now I guess...??

Without Gretzky, would the Kings have 1 division and 1 conference championship? We'll never know, but I imagine you must think they would have reversed all of their history and won a couple of Cups, right??

Maybe you should get over yourself.
Awww Butchie, isn't it time for you to get out your polish and your rags and get busy on that statue?

Old
01-04-2010, 03:56 PM
MxH0CKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
Shut up. You know nothing about this subject. We could give a **** about why you started watching hockey and what Roenick did for you. We prefer not to invite cockroaches into our house. If Blackhawk fans want them, you can have them.
You guys really making that big of a deal over an ex-player who is on LAKINGS.com? Hell, don't go to his blog or whatever. I hate him too and will prob stay away from it but still

Last edited by MxH0CKEY: 01-04-2010 at 04:02 PM.
MxH0CKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:04 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Doughty8 View Post
You guys really making that big of a deal over a dude who is on LAKINGS.com? Hell, don't go to his blog or whatever. No need to diss him though.
Spoken like a true teenager. Not a worry in the world right? You are a teenager right? I believe you are 17 according to the "age thread".

Nothing personal, just keeping things in perspective is all.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
mbar

Quote:
it's unbelievable to me that they are just saying FU to Kings fans who are responding. They honestly don't care if Kings fans don't like it because fans of other teams will come to their joke of a site? Really? That d-bag "webmaster" needs to get canned.
This. That's pure insanity.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:40 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Get over yourself bud. There are plenty of Kings' fans that want nothing to do with Gretzky, and with good reason.
... Because they're ingrates? Doesn't sound like a good reason to me.

Quote:
I happen to think the people that are jokes are the ones that can't see past the end of their nose and one trip to the finals and observe the damage that was done to the franchise overall.
... That's what I figured you would write, I give you fact after fact of what the man did for this team, and all you can respond with is some nebulous garbage about "the damage" done to the franchise. What damage? The lost draft picks in the original deal? What else was his arrival responsible for, other than that?

Quote:
Your observation that they brought Roenick in over Gretzky is quite brilliant considering that everyone knows Lombardi asked Gretzky to be part of the organization and it looks like Wayne hasn't taken him up on it. Wonder why that is? Could it be because Wayne wouldn't be allowed to run the show?
... Yeah, you're really reaching here, but that's what most ingrate Kings' fans have to do to bash Gretzky. They have to make stuff up and recite tired and unfunny stuff like "go shine the Gretzky statue". Whatever is going on between Gretzky and Lombardi, if there ever WAS anything going on, is between them.

Quote:
BTW, I saw the game in question, Gretzky was playing like s*** and deserved to be benched.
... I saw the game too. Gretzky was benched because he showed emotion on the ice after a goal against. If you want to say he was playing like **** in that game that's your opinion, but if Ftorek couldn't deal with a bad game from a player having an MVP season then that's on him.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 06:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
... Because they're ingrates? Doesn't sound like a good reason to me.

... That's what I figured you would write, I give you fact after fact of what the man did for this team, and all you can respond with is some nebulous garbage about "the damage" done to the franchise. What damage? The lost draft picks in the original deal? What else was his arrival responsible for, other than that?

... Yeah, you're really reaching here, but that's what most ingrate Kings' fans have to do to bash Gretzky. They have to make stuff up and recite tired and unfunny stuff like "go shine the Gretzky statue". Whatever is going on between Gretzky and Lombardi, if there ever WAS anything going on, is between them.

... I saw the game too. Gretzky was benched because he showed emotion on the ice after a goal against. If you want to say he was playing like **** in that game that's your opinion, but if Ftorek couldn't deal with a bad game from a player having an MVP season then that's on him.
This ground has been covered so many times that it has become an extremely deep trench. I suggest you use the search function.

Old
01-04-2010, 06:37 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
This ground has been covered so many times that it has become an extremely deep trench. I suggest you use the search function.
... In other words, you have nothing. I'm not surprised.

EDIT: VVV Common thing to do for someone who has nothing or is simply trolling is to make an accusation and then put it on everyone else to prove that it's NOT true. YOU made the statement about the damage done, it is on YOU to prove it.

Last edited by JT Dutch*: 01-04-2010 at 07:57 PM.
JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
... In other words, you have nothing. I'm not surprised.
No, my words are exactly what I said they were. The damage done to the overall franchise by acquiring Gretzky has been discussed on several occasions. Look it up.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Let's get back to JR talk in this thread please.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
This thread is getting JUIIICCCYYYYY.

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote