HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Nyr-edm

Old
01-02-2010, 05:16 PM
yukoner88

vCash: 500
Nyr-edm

To: EDM

R Callahan (2.3M)
R Kotalik (3.0M)
D Gilroy (1.66M)

To: NYR

D Grebeshkov (3.15M)
L Moreau (2.0M)
L Nilsson (2.0M)
5th rd 2010 draft pick

This was hard to put together cause NY is so close to the cap. It shakes up the veterans in both teams rooms. Gilroy would make our D more grittier. Kotalik has had success here and his shot would help our PP. Callahan is someone I've been wanting to see in an Oiler uniform for a while. He has 6pp goals and is very physical player and may help improve our pk. Grebeshkov and Nilsson would help NYR produce some offense from their back end, and retain skill in their forward lines. Moreau out may shake the room up here if he's dealt and he'd help NYR keep some grit and grind in their line up. I put the draft pick in because New York is would take on a lil extra salary. It was really hard to find a good balance between players being moved and player's salary aswell. Anyways I'd be interested what you all think. This is my first crack at trying to make a proposal thread.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Take out the draft pick and give me a pen.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:24 PM
rprice92

the rangers are already thinking of sending redden, brashear and somebody else down to the minors cuz of their contracts, i doubt they take on salary (even tho it's only a few hundred thousand) and take on our bad contracts

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 05:30 PM
yukoner88

If the Rangers do waive Redden and Brashear, thats 8.3M of cap space and it stills leave a hole on their blue line so a deal like this may still work

Old
01-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Soundwave

Drury + Kotalik

for

Horcoff + O'Sullivan

?

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:16 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Why would the Oilers trade for Kotalik? They already had him and let him go.....

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
yukoner88

The Oilers let kotalik go because of the desire to bring Heatley here. Not only that we'd have have to take some salary back. I liked the way Kotalik played when he was here so i wouldnt mind seeing him play for the Oilers again

Old
01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
The Oilers let kotalik go because of the desire to bring Heatley here.
possibly.....or, maybe they let him go because he wasn't the perfect fit for Hemsky that they thought he'd be....

then again, I agree with you, I thought he played as well as he could here given the massive mess the team was at the end of last season [and still is today]

it's not like the Oilers would never bring back a guy who left in less than amicable circumstances

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 06:54 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

The fact that the oilers did not even offer Kotilik a contract should be a hint the oilers dont want him

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 07:28 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Drury + Kotalik

for

Horcoff + O'Sullivan

?
no need for that kind of move now. Bringing Drury and Kotalik does not turn Oilers into a good team, but it would probably propel them out of the bottom 5. Also, the value of O'Sullivan and Horcoff could not be lower than it's now. Let them play and hope they re-coup some of their trade value --then try to move one or both in the off-season.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Bobblehead

Girardi and Byers are the guys I'd be after. Maybe even Voros for 4th line duty....If we're rebuilding, let's rebuild.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

If Hemsky isn't in our lineup, there's no need to have Kotalik in it either.

Bringing him in at this stage, we'd see one unmotivated player. Then we'd have numerous threads each day about how stupid Tambo was to make that deal and endless calls for his resignation.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 05:09 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Take out the draft pick and give me a pen.
ditto

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
If Hemsky isn't in our lineup, there's no need to have Kotalik in it either.

Bringing him in at this stage, we'd see one unmotivated player. Then we'd have numerous threads each day about how stupid Tambo was to make that deal and endless calls for his resignation.
you think people would be that upset if Kotalik was brought back? I think he'd be pretty useful here. Last season down the stretch he was one of our better players.

Old
01-04-2010, 08:20 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
you think people would be that upset if Kotalik was brought back? I think he'd be pretty useful here. Last season down the stretch he was one of our better players.
I like Kotalik but the last thing this team should be doing is improving itself. We need to let the season playout and get the best pick possible. I dont know if I would feel all that comfortable paying him the money he got either.

Old
01-04-2010, 09:12 AM
subnet
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 144
Quote:
I like Kotalik but the last thing this team should be doing is improving itself. We need to let the season playout and get the best pick possible. I dont know if I would feel all that comfortable paying him the money he got either.
perfectly said - normally I'm all for improving the club through trades, but do we really want to make us marginally better?

subnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Has anyone looked at Kotalik's numbers? 20 points but -17, this tells me he isn't exactly doing well on even strength hockey. For what he would bring on the PP he would probably hurt us more at even strength. He really is no different then O'Sullivan except that O'Sullivan has one less year on his contract and O'Sullivan still has potential to get better.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:54 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Has anyone looked at Kotalik's numbers? 20 points but -17, this tells me he isn't exactly doing well on even strength hockey. For what he would bring on the PP he would probably hurt us more at even strength. He really is no different then O'Sullivan except that O'Sullivan has one less year on his contract and O'Sullivan still has potential to get better.
Kotalik contributed here while O'Sullivan was a passenger. I take Kotalik over O'Sullivan every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old
01-04-2010, 10:59 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Kotalik contributed here while O'Sullivan was a passenger. I take Kotalik over O'Sullivan every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
What Kotail contribute here last year would work out to 8 more points then the current pace that O'Sullivan is at.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Quote:
it comes down to Kotalik's size + big shot vs O'Sullivan's PK + cheaper salary + shorter term.

I dont want either one on our team :p Kotalik @ 2.5M was barely worth it.. 4M is way too much for what he brings.

edit: oh he makes 3M\yr .. in that case i rank Ales over Patty but want neither.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenzOil View Post
it comes down to Kotalik's size + big shot vs O'Sullivan's PK + cheaper salary + shorter term.

I dont want either one on our team :p Kotalik @ 2.5M was barely worth it.. 4M is way too much for what he brings.

edit: oh he makes 3M\yr .. in that case i rank Ales over Patty but want neither.
I can agree with this.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
What Kotail contribute here last year would work out to 8 more points then the current pace that O'Sullivan is at.
What does this even mean? You cant make that comparison. Why would you even? Outside of shootouts and the beginning of the year with Comrie and Stone, O'Sullivan has looked like Nilsson (and not the good Nilsson). I like the guy and I want him to succeed, especially considering the garbage he has had to put up with but he is just not bringing it.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
What does this even mean? You cant make that comparison. Why would you even? Outside of shootouts and the beginning of the year with Comrie and Stone, O'Sullivan has looked like Nilsson (and not the good Nilsson). I like the guy and I want him to succeed, especially considering the garbage he has had to put up with but he is just not bringing it.
My point is you were saying Kotalik contributed while here, my point is he never did much more then what O'Sullivan is doing now. Only difference is O'Sullivan has a nicer contract and still has potential.

Also why can't I make that point? And if you did your research you would realize Kotalik has 3 points since November 12th.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:29 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
My point is you were saying Kotalik contributed while here, my point is he never did much more then what O'Sullivan is doing now. Only difference is O'Sullivan has a nicer contract and still has potential.
He was no star but he was noticeably better than O'Sullivan. Im pretty sure they both make 3mill so Im not sure what you are driving at. I cant see him getting any better than he is for us. Its not impossible but I would say it isnt very probable either. And if you want to use your illustration eight points is better than nothing. That would be sixteen over a full year. Which is markedly better.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:36 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
He was no star but he was noticeably better than O'Sullivan. Im pretty sure they both make 3mill so Im not sure what you are driving at. I cant see him getting any better than he is for us. Its not impossible but I would say it isnt very probable either. And if you want to use your illustration eight points is better than nothing. That would be sixteen over a full year. Which is markedly better.
It's actually 8 over a full year, but whatever. They may both make the same but Kotalik has an extra year and is older. Even with Kotalik he doesn't fix much of our problems.

Neither guy really needs to be here and I would be shocked if O'Sullivan isn't dealt to a team that might make the playoffs for the first time in a few years and a team that has cap space. Maybe Atlanta finally decides they will spend more money and takes him on?

With the talk I've heard about Eberle making the team next year and the possiblity of Omark, we need to start moving some smaller guys to make room.