HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rob Schremp

Old
01-03-2010, 01:55 AM
AHpsycho

vCash: 500
I haven't liked what I've seen. He gets regular minutes and plenty of power play time (something I've been begging to see them do with Tambellini for 2 years now and I still argue they haven't) and I haven't seen any improvement in his play. He's mostly been noticeable for the wrong reasons or just been invisible for the most part.

Our power play struggles I put a lot of blame on him for and I think it's about time they give someone else a turn.

AHpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:57 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHpsycho View Post
I haven't liked what I've seen. He gets regular minutes and plenty of power play time (something I've been begging to see them do with Tambellini for 2 years now and I still argue they haven't) and I haven't seen any improvement in his play. He's mostly been noticeable for the wrong reasons or just been invisible for the most part.

Our power play struggles I put a lot of blame on him for and I think it's about time they give someone else a turn.
They had Tambellini out on the 4-3 in overtime and he really looked bad, but he is rusty, I think neither guy is an impact player in the NHL and Joensuu is sitting in Bridgeport.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
AHpsycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
They had Tambellini out on the 4-3 in overtime and he really looked bad, but he is rusty, I think neither guy is an impact player in the NHL and Joensuu is sitting in Bridgeport.
I know. First time I've seen him on the Power Play since he had I think it was 8 seconds before his healthy scratch for those 15 or so games (before that I can't even remember him getting power play time). I don't think I can blame Tambellini for the failure of that 4 on 3 though. Tavares and everyone else out there just couldn't control the puck.

After Joensuu's first couple of games he was pretty ineffective I thought. I'm not sure he'll ever be impact either.

AHpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:15 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHpsycho View Post
I know. First time I've seen him on the Power Play since he had I think it was 8 seconds before his healthy scratch for those 15 or so games (before that I can't even remember him getting power play time). I don't think I can blame Tambellini for the failure of that 4 on 3 though. Tavares and everyone else out there just couldn't control the puck.

After Joensuu's first couple of games he was pretty ineffective I thought. I'm not sure he'll ever be impact either.
Joensuu was more effective than a lot of guys that suited up tonight, he is big, he hits, he takes up space in front of the goal, we don't have a single forward like him. If we did not have Bailey, I think Tambellini would get on the ice more, just hard to carry so many one dimensional guys, to me Schremp is more active for better or for worse than Tambellini, but they are both c*ck blocking Joensuu.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Joensuu is too raw to play regular shifts in the NHL. Nobody is blocking him... Bridgeport is just fine for his development.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:33 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Joensuu is too raw to play regular shifts in the NHL. Nobody is blocking him... Bridgeport is just fine for his development.
He looks more responsible out there than either Schremp or Tambellini, and we lack size, but you could be correct in that he is being rushed, we just have no size on the forwards.

Old
01-03-2010, 08:59 AM
On Edge

Too funny.

Difference between Tavares and Shremp????? That almost made my eyes bleed.

Well, Shremp sucks and will always suck. As I've said before, he belongs in a Friday night beer league. He has talent but a 2nd grade hockey sense and he won't cut the mustard in 3rd. However, he could be a star in the ECHL. Poor man's Jeff Hamilton. Will fanboy still be following him with the same zeal when he is playing for the Gwinnet Gladiators?

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:04 AM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

I really want Schremp to work out. He's had a couple of decent games lately for us. He's certainly not lazy out there.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Axe Man
Brooklyn Bound

Let's not forget that we are in the middle of a rebuild. We need to give everyone on the team a chance to prove themselves before we drop them. I don't know how I feel about Schremp yet but he needs to play on a regular basis for the remainder of the season before I can evaluate him.

Axe Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:20 AM
JeffNYI

The good news for Schremp is he actually seems to be improving.

I'm sure everyone will at least give him that.

The bad news is everyone agrees he needs to be a "top 6" forward who earns PP time.......... when he's 23 and that's even a stretch for him on the 2009-2010 NYI, he's got much work to do if he wants to continue his career in the NHL beyond this season..

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Brunomics

I think Schremp has gotten better over the year, doesn't mean he still doesn't drive me crazy but he has gotten better. With Schremp though I think he's still getting used to the speed of the game up in the NHL hence the bad passes here and there. One day I think it'll just click for him and he'll be able to put everything together like other players have in the past.

But for now please split up Tavares and Schremp on the pp. Seems like a case of too many chiefs not enough indians kind of situation.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:45 AM
HoCk4307

I've said before the reason Schremp seems to hold the puck on the PP is no one else is moving. Robbie has good vision and looks to make a good pass. Once other guys are on the same page it will click, think D man jumping in back door. It isn't lack of effort either. He does seem to give his all most of the time, and while I do agree he needs to improve his d zone play a bit, but he isn't our worst defensive forward, Moulson, Tavares, Tambellini, Bailey aren't any better. He has been good at the faceoff dot, good in the shootout, and I feel he has been improving other areas of his game daily. You see plays like the move he made last night and the pass to Bailey and you have to realize the kid has talent.

Another point on the feeling he's holding the puck too long, Schremp is one of the few centers we have that will try to slow the play down and create space and look to make a good pass, Id take his attempt to make a good pass over Tavares or Moulson blindly wheeling the puck around the boards or to the slot anyday. Anyone can fire a blind pass that will occasionally work. Being able to make a pass through the seam and put the puck on a guys stick is a different story.

HoCk4307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:56 AM
StuDog

Watching him stick-check a Thrasher against the boards for 5 seconds instead of taking the body was especially pathetic. The only time he scores, or even gets quality shots near the net, is when he's on the power play. 5 on 5, he just isn't effective.

StuDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDog View Post
Watching him stick-check a Thrasher against the boards for 5 seconds instead of taking the body was especially pathetic. The only time he scores, or even gets quality shots near the net, is when he's on the power play. 5 on 5, he just isn't effective.
But even that's rare because since about the time Schremp started playing on the PP consistently, the team is 2-44 or something, so he's not even really producing there.

Hate to throw out the term "losing player" but he really just doesn't add much.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Renbarg

I like the way he has played since his last scratch. Defensively he is not horrid either. He certainly gives the effort which defensively is half the battle. Offensively you see the talent especially as a playmaker.

I think Gordon likes him too and if he plays like he has in this stint he will continue to stay in the lineup.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:42 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Schremp has talent but so does everybody who makes it to the nhl. Hes a pond hockey player trying to change his game. He trys to use his "great hands" to do too much and ruins plays more often then he makes his great plays. He also is in bad position ALL the time when he does not have the puck. That being said I hope the best for Schremp since he is a rookie basically but dont kid yourself and act like he has been playing great.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
haha and what did Joensuu do when he was up here? he DID NOT look ready one bit. played so much better for the short amount of time he was up in the nhl last year. from that statement is sounds like you are saying Joensuu is an impact player rite now. and i really hope thats not what you meant to say

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
I disagree. Schremp seems to be working his ass off. He just isn't any good.

Honestly, in evaluting "the juggler", observers fits into three categories:

1) Those of us who see his painful flaws and who declare that he will not be a long-timer on this squad.

2) Those who see said flaws and who accept him as is, and do not think his inadequecies are that important in the game of hockey.

3) Those who do not see or acknowledge his flaws.

Pity #s 2 & 3.

The most ironic (and distasteful) thing about the shootout? It can makes "stars" of players who lack the ability to skate and contribute on regular shifts in the NHL. See: Schremp; Tambellini, et al.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Renbarg

I think there is a group 4 who sees his flaws and see that those flaws are of the "coachable" variety.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:59 PM
OlTimeHockey

You can teach players defense.

Coaches? Gordo's S outta luck, so Schremp won't be learning backchecking and positioning anytime soon. Count me in on the talent+we need offense camp. Hope he works with Trottier at practices.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
haha and what did Joensuu do when he was up here? he DID NOT look ready one bit. played so much better for the short amount of time he was up in the nhl last year. from that statement is sounds like you are saying Joensuu is an impact player rite now. and i really hope thats not what you meant to say
He is not an impact player right now, but we don't have size on our roster, and I think if we are carrying Bailey on the Isles and not in Bridgeport it may not be such a bad idea to carry Joensuu up here, as his spot is basically blocked by non impact players.

Old
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

One can teach defense, but not everyone can learn it, and moreover, choose to apply it (read: work hard) consistently.

Likewise, that implies that Boy Rob's deficiencies are all on that side of the puck. Hardly.

I'll gladly take a wager with anyone willing as to this loser's future. And I'm saddened to see otherwise knowledgable NYI fans' aligning with the ESPN-highlight contingent of fanboys in their bullishness toward this clown.

You want this type on your squad, you want drek...and continued failure. But then again, some still think this team would have been better off with the likes of Yashin, Chow, Vasicek, Satan, Hamilton, MAB....

So enjoy him while he's here!

This is Islander Country!

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

1) Those of us who see his painful flaws and who declare that he will not be a long-timer on this squad.

2) Those who see said flaws and who accept him as is, and do not think his inadequecies are that important in the game of hockey.

Pity #s 2 & 3.

The most ironic (and distasteful) thing about the shootout? It can makes "stars" of players who lack the ability to skate and contribute on regular shifts in the NHL. See: Schremp; Tambellini, et al.
He clearly is a #1, in that he is a stopgap on this roster until others develop or we get FA's.

His only chance of success is to be stuck on a line with superstars, where he will put up "paper" numbers but will still be out of position and hold the puck forever.

Old
BaileyToOkposo

Quote:
He is not an impact player right now, but we don't have size on our roster, and I think if we are carrying Bailey on the Isles and not in Bridgeport it may not be such a bad idea to carry Joensuu up here, as his spot is basically blocked by non impact players.
yeah i agree with u that we need size, but with the playing time he would get here id much rather him b in bridgeport get 1st/2nd line minutes and just improve from there

BaileyToOkposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post

Pity #s 2 & 3.

Or 4, that his inadequacies exist but can be taught. Granted theres no guarentee this happens, but right now we do not have expendable assets to upgrade, I have no problem seeing if we can salvage his career like other talented but flawed centers (Savard, Briere, and to a lesser extent Antropov). After this year if no noticeable improvement has been made dump and upgrade.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote