HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ducks(W),Flames(L),Canes(W),Ducks!(L) | (2nd, 5th, 7th, 9th)

Old
01-07-2010, 10:30 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

vCash: 500

Looks gross. I bet I will be more pissed when I actually see the highlights from the game later on tonight.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Directly between the numbers with full arm extension. Sully went head first into the end boards. Don't think Alberts really meant to hit him that hard, but...when you see the video...you make the call.
Absolutely dirty hit. I am glad we got the win, but I am absolutely furious with Weber and Arnott. Someone had to fight after that hit. There was no show of leadership after that. Absolutely unacceptable.

Slake, I really hate to ask you this, but what is the deal between trotz and Arnott. If you read between the lines it sounds like Arnott and Trotz had a little bit of a verbal exchange on the bench. Do you have any info on this?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Oh one more thought. After the hit on sully the players totally lost their spark. They were playing not to lose, not to win the game.

Old
01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Slake, I really hate to ask you this, but what is the deal between trotz and Arnott. If you read between the lines it sounds like Arnott and Trotz had a little bit of a verbal exchange on the bench. Do you have any info on this?
I'm actually in NC staying with my mother and sister for the next several weeks and was watching on TV. Actually, I suffered a seizure on Dec. 10th prepping to head to the arena for the game vs. Minnesota and can't drive nor am I supposed to live alone (which I do in Nashville) for the next six months. I hope to return to the arena for the Jan. 30th game, but until then will be making a lot of observations from afar...

I'm waiting for Trotz's post-game remarks to be posted online. Will be interesting to listen to. Anything I infer though would be pure speculation and I guarantee whatever the issue was will be worked out behind closed doors. It wouldn't be fair to speculate...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:49 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Oh one more thought. After the hit on sully the players totally lost their spark. They were playing not to lose, not to win the game.
Agreed, I tweeted the same @PredFans at the end of the third. I know I lost interest in the game thinking about Sully and it certainly looked like the players did as well...

Old
01-07-2010, 10:51 PM
thejlb*

Arnott hasn't had the best luck hear as late he could easily have went off on trotz. Haven't heard much of any issues yet.
I'm curious I don't think I seen Belak on the ice after the boarding. I heard a couple people screaming to put Belak in all the way up in 325.

I know alot of people don;t like Belak but thats whatever. He fills an important role this team needs on most night. Problem is not that many people wanna go with him.
Belak has played very well the last 2 games in my humble opinion.

I bring that up because Hordichuck used to ask trotz if he could fight before the game. Trotz would always answer well we'll see how the game goes. My bigger question is why wouldn't Trotz put Belak out there, We used to always see the goon squad close out the games when we had a lead.

thejlb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
I'm actually in NC staying with my mother and sister for the next several weeks and was watching on TV. Actually, I suffered a seizure on Dec. 10th prepping to head to the arena for the game vs. Minnesota and can't drive nor am I supposed to live alone (which I do in Nashville) for the next six months. I hope to return to the arena for the Jan. 30th game, but until then will be making a lot of observations from afar...

I'm waiting for Trotz's post-game remarks to be posted online. Will be interesting to listen to. Anything I infer though would be pure speculation and I guarantee whatever the issue was will be worked out behind closed doors. It wouldn't be fair to speculate...
Oh yeah, I hope you are feeling better. Anyways I'll summarize what was said. Essentially he said there was a lack of veteran leadership and that the team had a very bad attitude at the start of the day. Then one guy asked what happened to arnott with a minute left and Trotz got very defensive and said Arnott went to the locker room because he wasn't going to play for the rest of the game.

Old
01-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejlb View Post
Arnott hasn't had the best luck hear as late he could easily have went off on trotz. Haven't heard much of any issues yet.
I'm curious I don't think I seen Belak on the ice after the boarding. I heard a couple people screaming to put Belak in all the way up in 325.

I know alot of people don;t like Belak but thats whatever. He fills an important role this team needs on most night. Problem is not that many people wanna go with him.
Belak has played very well the last 2 games in my humble opinion.

I bring that up because Hordichuck used to ask trotz if he could fight before the game. Trotz would always answer well we'll see how the game goes. My bigger question is why wouldn't Trotz put Belak out there, We used to always see the goon squad close out the games when we had a lead.
did you listen to trotz comments? He seemed pretty pissed about something.

You probably heard my dad and I up in 322 yelling for Belak

Old
01-07-2010, 11:12 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
If Trotz and Arny are pissed at anyone it needs to be the second PP unit for killing our momentum and trying to give the game away.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:23 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
also announced attendance tonight was 14,910! which is about 4,000 more than I thought it would be

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Jeph

At least they are similar animals...

This is from the Yahoo recap:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/recap?gi...010727&prov=ap
Attached Images
File Type: png screen-capture-1.png‎ (382.4 KB, 22 views)

Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Hordy would ask prior to a shift if he simply wanted to go out and fight, but it was up to him in the spur of the moment to realize the situation and potential impact of the fight if he did decide to drop the mitts. Trotz isn't out there holding on our guy's gloves...

As for why Trotz didn't goon it up at the end...I think a lot of that has to do with the NHL's no tolerance policies and the fact that what's the benefit of throwing away the game at hand and potentially losing another player or two to suspension or injury?

Old
01-08-2010, 12:05 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Oh yeah, I hope you are feeling better.
Thanks! Yeah, I feel about 95% right now, hoping to be back to near full strength by the end of the month...

Quote:
Anyways I'll summarize what was said. Essentially he said there was a lack of veteran leadership and that the team had a very bad attitude at the start of the day. Then one guy asked what happened to arnott with a minute left and Trotz got very defensive and said Arnott went to the locker room because he wasn't going to play for the rest of the game.
Full video of presser is available here:
http://predators.nhl.tv/team/console...d=737&id=56613

Trotz had a smile on his face answering the question and never seemed to indicate any issue whatsoever between he and Arnott. As for the opening question, he was answering a question about winning games and losing players recently and referred to the lack of veterans on the bench during games due to injuries and the importance of the young players coming up from Milwaukee and filling major roles.

Really think this is a non-issue that probably got some attention due to the poor quality of sound on the radio broadcast of the interview, but will let you guys make a judgment for yourself. Made a phone call to a friend at the press conference and he was surprised I was even asking the question...

Old
01-08-2010, 12:09 AM
thejlb*

Quote:
did you listen to trotz comments? He seemed pretty pissed about something.

You probably heard my dad and I up in 322 yelling for Belak
Yeah there definately sounds like something there. We'll probably never know. See I hear alot of why doesn't belak do something, but he's gotta get put in the game and I'm sure he'll be more then happy to send a message. I can only think of a couple times where Trotz actually sent someone out there to teach a player a lesson. I fully realise he got a game misconduct but the way the game was going there was plenty of players playing pretty dirty. I thought the tripping call on Guite was worthy of a game misconduct.

Old
01-08-2010, 12:15 AM
thejlb*

Quote:
Hordy would ask prior to a shift if he simply wanted to go out and fight, but it was up to him in the spur of the moment to realize the situation and potential impact of the fight if he did decide to drop the mitts. Trotz isn't out there holding on our guy's gloves...

As for why Trotz didn't goon it up at the end...I think a lot of that has to do with the NHL's no tolerance policies and the fact that what's the benefit of throwing away the game at hand and potentially losing another player or two to suspension or injury?
What I write and what I think are sometimes 2 different things. I wasn't meaning I thought the goon squad should come out and risk injury or suspension. Just to make sure if Carolina wanted to brawl or lay a cheapshot like at the end of the blackhawks game a few games back.

I'm not trying to argue but the last job I had we'd only listen to 104.5 the zone and they'd talk to hordichuk and he would say I asked coach if I could fight tonight, and he said sure if theres call for it or something like that. Small potatoes anyway, Its the most obvious example I know but when Avery took what liked like a cheap shot on paul kariya it didn't take long until Hordichuk was on the ice going after avery. To me that wasn't a player decision that seemed more like a coachs decision. Which is my point we get more then we give. Except the flames game the other night, but that to me was more clean hockey hits. Which I totally respect.

Last edited by thejlb*: 01-08-2010 at 12:24 AM.
Old
01-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
What I write and what I think are sometimes 2 different things. I wasn't meaning I thought the goon squad should come out and risk injury or suspension. Just to make sure if Carolina wanted to brawl or lay a cheapshot like at the end of the blackhawks game a few games back.
I don't think Carolina had any intention of playing dirty tonight. I thought they actually outworked us for most of the night due to their youth playing with a lot of exuberance, but fell flat due to a lack of experience.

Alberts clearly looked concerned for Sully (at least on TV) immediately after that hit and simply turned and skated to the bench without any complaint when instructed to head their by the linesman. I really don't think Alberts wanted to put Sully in the position that he did, but made a reckless play in the spur of the moment and will suffer the consequences for it from the league.

As for Brind'amour's two tripping calls, they both looked bad, but neither was deserving of anything more than two minutes. Klein though looked like he was walloped by Ruutu's stick and probably only saved from a major injury due to his visor...

Old
01-08-2010, 12:44 AM
thejlb*

Well. I have read plenty on the Sully boarding incident, and for the most part it seems like an accident. I sit in 325 didn't have the best view of the incident just saw the replays a couple times. Which only show the boarding happen. I agree that yes we were outworked, and am starting to hope Arnott just left the game early to make sure sullivan was alright.

I still stick to my statement about getting more then we give. Especially with the whole smashville thing. We are constantly getting run over by guys. Which is fine whats so wrong with making everybody finish their checks out there. These are just the ramblings of one preds fan

Old
01-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
The boarding was ugly. Beyond ugly, it was goon worthy. Alberts every now and again has these momentary lapses and will do something deplorable and this was one such scenario. I would support any suspension the NHL handed down. You never want to hand out a suspension based on who was boarded, but Sullivan is so revered and respected around the league that even as a Hurricanes fan I was yelling at my TV how cheap that was.

I can say that Alberts did immediately recognize his mistake and was very concerned for Sullivan, but that does not excuse that kind of hit in the slightest. I hope Sullivan is alright and hopefully it's not his back. God knows he's been through enough.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I still stick to my statement about getting more then we give. Especially with the whole smashville thing. We are constantly getting run over by guys. Which is fine whats so wrong with making everybody finish their checks out there. These are just the ramblings of one preds fan
I think more than anything it is related to having both Tootoo and Smithson out due to injury. Both of them are sparkplugs that love to fly around the ice and rattle the glass with our opponent's bodies. Without them in the lineup, I think we're more conservative in that department and that has hurt us against teams like Calgary and Anaheim recently who bring a more physical game to the table.

Really will be interesting to see if this trend continues once both Tootoo and Smithson return to the lineup...

Old
01-08-2010, 12:59 AM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I hope Sullivan is alright and hopefully it's not his back. God knows he's been through enough.
Thankfully, it looks like his shoulder. However, we will know more when Sully wakes up in the morning and heads to the doctor for further evaluation.

Trotz is listing Sully as doubtful for Saturday vs. Anaheim, but says that the injury does not appear to be a long-term type of deal thus far...

Old
01-08-2010, 02:10 AM
thejlb*

Should make for an interesting practice later today. I'm sure Sully won't be there, but I'll look for him never the less.

Old
01-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Jarnberg

Hornqvist freaking rules btw. It isn't just the scoring either. His play all around the ice has been fantastic this season and he has been our best forward by far in my opinion.

Sweet assist on Sullivan's goal last night (sweet shot too).

It is pretty amusing how everyone wrote him off after a slow start while he was adjusting to the North American game and while he was at the old age of 22.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 01-08-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Hornqvist freaking rules btw. It isn't just the scoring either. His play all around the ice has been fantastic this season and he has been our best forward by far in my opinion.

Sweet assist on Sullivan's goal last night (sweet shot too).

It is pretty amusing how everyone wrote him off after a slow start while he was adjusting to the North American game and while he was at the old age of 22.
We had a lot of people write him off very quickly. I felt like you definitely should give him more time, although I thought he would be more of a Vladdy Orszagh than what he is right now.....I am pleasantly and happily surprised

01-08-2010, 08:48 AM
RollingPredFan

Yeah you have to be impressed with Hornqvist, Why Trotz was limiting his ice time I will never know, he's been the most consistent of all the forwards all year IMO.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

1.) Although I truly would have enjoyed a bench clearing brawl after the Sully assault, and Gnash chasing down 'Canes players on his 4wheeler, what exactly would have been the point? The Preds got the goal a few seconds later on the PP---game over. As bad, stupid, dangerous, etc. as that hit was, it certainly didn't seem as intentional as (fill in the blank)'s hit on (name that Predator ) in any number of games over the years. It just didn't "feel" like it was worthy of retaliation given the the flow of the game, the score, the fact that Carolina is in the East and now done for the schedule, etc. If this were a Western Conf team were we see the same type of play by the same players on the same teams all season long, then I might have a different opinion as to what should have been done. This just didn't seem to be one in a long line of games against familiar foes were the opposition is taking constant runs at the Preds. I'm still mightily pissed about the whole thing, but getting that PP goal immediately afterwards was probably the best response the Preds could have given.

2.) As far as Trotz saying Sully's injury "....doesn't appear to be too serious..." I gave up believing anything he says about a player's injury status years ago. Unless the trainer comes off the ice holding a Pred's head in one hand, his leg in another, we always get the same response from the lineup card chewing man behind the bench. Anyway, the main thing I worry about is if you're of the same opinon as some of us that Sully is shying away from physical contact big time this year, what effect if any will this latest hit have? Some guys get rocked and then shrug it off. Will Sully do the same when he comes back, or will this issue be even more noticeable the rest of the season?

3.) As far as Trotz and the Captain and whatever is or isn't going on, I say stir it up!! We all know about Trotz's predilection towards vets, and regardless of the Preds place in the standings, they have to play with urgency every game which, they're not doing yet---there won't be any time at the end of the season to get hot and string a bunch of wins together. If the Preds aren't getting something north of 12 points out of every ten game stretch, they're going to end up losing ground the way things are working out this season. If I were to guess, it's probably something as simple as Horns getting 1st line time and some off handed comment about "..at least one guy is trying out there every night..." or something as minor as that to set off some super sensitive vet. But, hopefully it was actually Trotz dropping the hammer (for once) and pushing some buttons.

4.) Play Horns 40 minutes a game. It'll make up for all the lost ice time season to date.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote