HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Worst Homer Announcer

Old
01-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Ovie's Neighbor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ4 View Post
You might be thinking of Gary Thorne.
No there is definitely no confusing Thorne with Doc lol

Ovie's Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
bige14

So Emerick is a huge Devils homer and a homer for one of their biggest rivals the Penguins because he likes the Pittsburgh baseball team?

bige14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovie's Neighbor View Post
I don't think Doc is a homer but I don't really get why he is so popular. It seems like every time I watch a game he is announcing he messes up all the time. Either he calls the player by the wrong name or will say something is a penalty on one team and it is really on the other team, he just seems to mess obvious things up and then will say sorry I missed that one I was just so caught up in the play or something like that.
probably cause you haven't caught msg + 3 -2 + 1 and their homer crew with Cangelosi Daneko and Fischler, Doc is not homer on nat television but he bobbles names, him and olczyk together are terrible and loaded with dumb comments, how many times do we have to hear that "former new jersey brian rafalski from dearborn michigan played for university of wisconsin", or that paul martin is the greatest defenseman ever to play in the NHL, those are trademark doc quotes

Crossovert* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseforPresident View Post
I'll ask again... how does that make him a Pens homer?
have you heard him call a pens game no involving the devils?

Old
01-04-2010, 03:13 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossovert View Post
probably cause you haven't caught msg + 3 -2 + 1 and their homer crew with Cangelosi Daneko and Fischler, Doc is not homer on nat television but he bobbles names, him and olczyk together are terrible and loaded with dumb comments, how many times do we have to hear that "former new jersey brian rafalski from dearborn michigan played for university of wisconsin", or that paul martin is the greatest defenseman ever to play in the NHL, those are trademark doc quotes
find me him saying that Martin quote.

DatBoyJPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovie's Neighbor View Post
I don't think Doc is a homer but I don't really get why he is so popular. It seems like every time I watch a game he is announcing he messes up all the time. Either he calls the player by the wrong name or will say something is a penalty on one team and it is really on the other team, he just seems to mess obvious things up and then will say sorry I missed that one I was just so caught up in the play or something like that.
Listen to the tone of his voice when he is announcing. Even if you close your eyes you can tell the intensity of the game just by the way he calls it, because his voice rises and falls to mirror the action. I think this is a rare skill, most announcers don't have that ability.

He uses uncommon words like shillelagh, waffleboard, and paraphernalia to talk about players' equipment, and uses even more uncommon verbs like shuffleboarded, flexed, and foisted to describe the puck movement. Yet even with all these strange words, his calls sound completely natural and organic. He doesn't force anything.

His knowledge of the game is impressive, and he's always ready with a story or statistic. He's also very good about pronouncing players' names exactly the way they want them to be pronounced. He's doing something right, because he's been the voice of American hockey for many years now. For me, a hockey game just isn't the same unless Doc is calling it.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
yes, that has nothing to do with the Pirates though.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Crossovert*

and btw there are plenty of announcers and color guys that are homers for multiple teams, for instance dave strader is a homer for the coyotes and detroit, even the other day listening to the phoenix telecast he was talking up the wings

Old
01-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
yes, that has nothing to do with the Pirates though.
that doesnt, the city of pittsburgh does

Old
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Ovie's Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
Listen to the tone of his voice when he is announcing. Even if you close your eyes you can tell the intensity of the game just by the way he calls it, because his voice rises and falls to mirror the action. I think this is a rare skill, most announcers don't have that ability.

He uses uncommon words like shillelagh, waffleboard, and paraphernalia to talk about players' equipment, and uses even more uncommon verbs like shuffleboarded, flexed, and foisted to describe the puck movement. Yet even with all these strange words, his calls sound completely natural and organic. He doesn't force anything.

His knowledge of the game is impressive, and he's always ready with a story or statistic. He's also very good about pronouncing players' names exactly the way they want them to be pronounced. He's doing something right, because he's been the voice of American hockey for many years now. For me, a hockey game just isn't the same unless Doc is calling it.
Well that makes sense for a Devils fan and I am aware he is popular and in the hall of fame. I am not debating that he does not get excited or any of that. I just think he messes up a lot and personally I am not a fan...does not mean I am right just my opinion.

Ovie's Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
How about every game of the Cup Final the last two years?

Doc isn't a Penguins homer, or a Devils homer for that matter. I have no idea where you are getting that from.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Crossovert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
How about every game of the Cup Final the last two years?

Doc isn't a Penguins homer, or a Devils homer for that matter. I have no idea where you are getting that from.
youre a ****ing devils homer of course your not gonna hear his shortcomings, even some pens fans dont see whats so bad about stiegerwald, or boston fans and edwards ect, just because doc is more distinguished, mostly because of luck and decent hockey knowledge because his voice is terrible, doesn't mean he is not a homer

Old
01-04-2010, 03:20 PM
DatBoyJPP
Good Night

Quote:
youre a ****ing devils homer of course your not gonna hear his shortcomings, even some pens fans dont see whats so bad about stiegerwald, or boston fans and edwards ect, just because doc is more distinguished, mostly because of luck and decent hockey knowledge because his voice is terrible, doesn't mean he is not a homer
You don't get to where he is by luck.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
You know, the term "homer" gets tossed around an awful lot these days, but I think it is important to remember the definition of the word homer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz09x...eature=related

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
bige14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
You know, the term "homer" gets tossed around an awful lot these days, but I think it is important to remember the definition of the word homer;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz09x...eature=related
That's a terrible example, Chara doesn't go down often, so he did get leveled by that hit.

bige14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bige14 View Post
That's a terrible example, Chara doesn't go down often, so he did get leveled by that hit.
The point is not the hit. The point is thats the best place I could find a screaming soundclip of the announcer.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Agreed on the earlier comments that Peter Loubardias falls more into the 'tool' category than 'homer' category. His predecessor, Roger Millions, was a huge Flames brown-noser but at least he could call the game.
As for my vote, the Canucks' Sportsnet guys are pretty bad homers. Doesn't sound like they're as bad as the CBJ or PIT guys, though.

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Weichlinghammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
RJ is one of the best pbp guys around, he lives and breathes the game (and the Sabres). I wish all pbp guys were that passionate for hockey.

And I don't mind JE either, ok so he's a huge homer but also very enterntaining.
I guess our definitions of passionate are different. He is clearly one of the worst if not the worst. In fact that whole group in Buffalo is terrible. How any of them (Rob Ray included) are allowed to legally be within 100 feet of a microphone is a mystery to me. They haven't become bad recently either. They've been awful since the days of Empire Sports Network. I'd rather listen to Marlee Matlin struggle through a rendition of the song "Heart of Glass" by Blondie. They're that bad.

And the guys from Pittsburgh aren't very good either.

Weichlinghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Butch 19
King me

I am anxiously awaiting the upcoming thread for "Best Homer Announcer."

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:

Just because my favourite team is the Devils, I must be a "****ing Devils homer", and of course my ears must deceive me when I listen to my team's announcers. What utter nonsense.

I know what a homer announcer is. Edwards is one, Jeanneret is one, Steigerwald is one, Chico is one. Doc is not. He does not go out of his way to belittle the Devils' opponents, like Edwards. He does not completely lose his **** for the most routine save Brodeur makes, or the most mundane goal the Devils score, like Jeanneret. He does not make excuses for the team when it performs poorly, nor does he beg for a goal or PP, like Steigerwald. He does not routinely question calls and non-calls that do not go in the Devils' favour, like Chico.

If Doc is a homer, the term has lost all meaning.

Old
01-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Weichlinghammer

Quote:
You don't get to where he is by luck.
You're right. You get there by other things that shall go unmentioned on a hockey forum.

Last edited by Weichlinghammer: 01-04-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Weichlinghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Mustang2750

Who the hell is calling Doc a homer!?

He's one of the better announcers in the entire league lol.

He's the one thing that can make a Devils game 'somewhat' entertaining

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
ADD-devil950003

Chico is a homer, not the brightest but a homer. Doc is all professional, one of the best in the business. Jack Edwards, the penguins broadcasters, and Rick Jearenet have to be the worst.

RJ: Annoying to listen to, hate his goal calls, and he never gets as excited about anything the other team does. Bias Homer

Edwards: Biggest homer of an announcer in pro sports. Only gets excited for the home team like RJ. I dont care if you are doing the hometown broadcast or not, show a little professionalism and stop acting like you are on the Bruins.

Pitt: People think Crosby whines? Well listen to the homer's calling the game. After listening to these guys, not one team can really beat the pens, there is always an excuse, and god forbid the refs give the other team more Power Plays. Also the Hobey Baker joke, comeon, that was in terrible taste. These guys should not be employed by a professional sports organization let alone last seasons cup champs.

Last edited by ADD-devil950003: 01-04-2010 at 04:10 PM.
ADD-devil950003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:28 PM
BrookswasHere44

Of course Steigerwald but i went through say pages 1-4 of this thread and CANNOT BELIEVE BOBBY "THE CHIEF" TAYLOR from TBL hasent named (from what ive seen) the dude is the worst imo

BrookswasHere44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
SharksAddict

Penguins announcers are far and away the biggest homers. After them, I would say Avalanche and Blue Jackets.

SharksAddict is offline   Reply With Quote