HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

when do we stop caring? do you still care? do you think the players care?

Old
01-02-2010, 11:52 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Acquiring Heatley? Yes.

Shutting everything down in terms of trade/signing possibilities and begging him to waive his NTC to come to Edmonton? No.
This team wasn't ready for Heatley. The holes and lack of depth were still pretty glaring. I couldn't imagine Heatley on this team, he probably would be mailing it in by now. The technical aspect of the Oilers is very weak.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I keep hearing he is injured
Is he really injured? Or is just an excuse to make managements Golden Boy look better (like when Celine had a "broken foot" after his horrendous series vs. the Ducks)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this circus pulled a stunt like that. That's one good thing about being an Oilers fan; nothing shocks us anymore.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:53 PM
Semper Fidelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Vandelay View Post
Acquiring Heatley? Yes.

Shutting everything down in terms of trade/signing possibilities and begging him to waive his NTC to come to Edmonton? No.
Well yeah to the first, I wasn't even referring to the second.

Semper Fidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:54 PM
nsoilfan

Quote:
I keep hearing he is injured

if he is injured--shut him down then--they are risking long term problems by letting him plau injured
i dont know what the injury is but they even mentioned it tonight on HNIC

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
Not when he was with the Oilers.
I have never seen goaltending as bad as tonight for the Oilers. Ever. That being said Im not going to harsh on JDD. This isnt his fault. He should have been played more last year. He shouldnt have to play this much this year. That is on management. I wonder if Lowe or Tambo are going to be here next year. And the year after that. And so on. God I hope not.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
This team does not get a free ride from the Edmonton media. If anything, they get criticized to no end. No other media bashes their home team more than the Edmonton media.
Annie, you think our media is tough?

It doesn't even come CLOSE to what the Habs go through in Montréal.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Souray and Staios are two guys who would garner attention around the league for sure, i'm also pretty sure that some teams would take a chance on Cogliano and O'Sullivan. Even freaking Moreau would probably get some looks from teams and we should also look to unload Nilsson while he's playing well which probably won't last long.
Ok, all good thoughts, but what are you going to get back? Nobody wants to get rid of a decent player. And if you just end up getting picks, that's ok, but how long is it going to be before those picks turn into quality NHL players? How do you know you're not going to get even worse crap back?

I'm not saying it can't be done, or even that it shouldn't be done. I just don't think any of this is as easy as the "Oh, why don't they just make a trade" crowd thinks it is.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:55 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Does this team need to lose 20 games in a row for Rob brown and Dan Tencer to get the notion that this team is ****ing brutal.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:55 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Have the players stopped listening to Quinn?

a few people here(no names) blamed all the problems on Mact and said the team would respond to quinn and renney--well--while Penner has stepped up bit---(his stats since Hemsky is debatable)--but other players have not. It is time to admit--there is a problem with team chemistry and it is time to make a deal for the sake of making a deal. Not a big one--but trading say Staois Grebs or Moreau for a pick or a soon to be UFA. We are looking at the same team we had last year and there needs to be some changes
I don't know if they stopped listening, but they definitely aren't buying in. That being said, most of the vets know they are on the trade clock, which is probably hindering their play. I don't what happened Ethan Moreau, he turned dumb, literally overnight, its really disappointing.

Old
01-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
This team does not get a free ride from the Edmonton media. If anything, they get criticized to no end. No other media bashes their home team more than the Edmonton media.
This is about as wrong of a statement as I've ever seen on any forum anywhere at anytime.

The print media never take coaches, management or many players to task. Radio media the very same. The only ones that ever get picked on are the ones the coaches and management in essence give permission to flog by making them public whipping boys ala Penner last year.

Lowe? essentially a free ride.
Tambo? Free ride.
Horcoff? The ultimate in free rides.

You are flat out wrong on this point.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgagner View Post
Well yeah to the first, I wasn't even referring to the second.
The second part is what i was referring to when i said that the move had Lowe and Katz written all over it

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
They is a rather poor team, but a top-5(3 even better) pick would soften this season

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:57 PM
camboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I have never seen goaltending as bad as tonight for the Oilers. Ever. That being said Im not going to harsh on JDD. This isnt his fault. He should have been played more last year. He shouldnt have to play this much this year. That is on management. I wonder if Lowe or Tambo are going to be here next year. And the year after that. And so on. God I hope not.
It might not be JDD's fault but good players step up and become all stars. Look at Craig Anderson. JDD is not exactly "running with the ball".

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Everest

Personally, I can't stand mc79 but there is no doubt he puts time & effort into his blog. It was neat to see him get props on HNIC (whoever he is).

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GoOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I hope all the Oilers see a clip of that. Over and over again.

Mark Lee came up with a new use for steaming, apparently happening inside the box. He also coined the new phrase "apparently clear".

Kevin Weekes described one penalty as being "clear-cut call", before immediately dismissing it as a "soft call". Then he called #67 "Creme" Brule.

All around, the most painful Oilers broadcast I've seen in months if not years.
I agree, these are your tax dollars at work.

I'ts a little hard for this crew to cruise at the Oilers when they were so weak themselves.

As far as the game goes , hockey is all about momentum.

We looked really good for a bit when we got the first goal.

Once they got #4 though, the momentum was gone.

Take any teams #1 Goalie, #1 Offensive player and #1 defenseman away and they will struggle.

How about adding back Hemsky, Khabibilin and Visnovski to the Oilers and take away Thorton, Nabokov and Boyle and this would have been a much different game.

GoOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:58 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
I don't know if they stopped listening, but they definitely aren't buying in. That being said, most of the vets know they are on the trade clock, which is probably hindering their play. I don't what happened Ethan Moreau, he turned dumb, literally overnight, its really disappointing.
He got older and had multiple season ending injuries. His career has been accelerated to it's end. He's done.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:58 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
Ok, all good thoughts, but what are you going to get back? Nobody wants to get rid of a decent player. And if you just end up getting picks, that's ok, but how long is it going to be before those picks turn into quality NHL players? How do you know you're not going to get even worse crap back?

I'm not saying it can't be done, or even that it shouldn't be done. I just don't think any of this is as easy as the "Oh, why don't they just make a trade" crowd thinks it is.
Addition by subtraction my friend, addition by subtraction
Clear out the crap and free up some cap space, it's gotta be done.
It's a start.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post
Is he really injured? Or is just an excuse to make managements Golden Boy look better (like when Celine had a "broken foot" after his horrendous series vs. the Ducks)

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this circus pulled a stunt like that. That's one good thing about being an Oilers fan; nothing shocks us anymore.
A few weeks ago, during Oilers Lunch, Bob Stauffer said Horcoff's shoulder wasn't too bad and that he definitely didn't need surgery. So, if that's true, I think people are cutting Horcoff a lot of slack for no reason.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Crusty Quinn

mc79hockey mentioned on afterhours! and a compliment from ron maclean!

Crusty Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jesus

I really am having trouble understanding why Tambo has done NOTHING to shake this team up. I find it quite odd. Start getting rid of the dead-weight please.

Also I wonder when Rexall is going to start seeing a few empty seats. Can't be too much longer now.

and oh yeah, Trade Hemsky he is holding the Oilers back!!!!

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:01 AM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge Act View Post
Man, if I'm Hall or Seguin I am cringing at the thought of playing with these clowns. I'd need more than a DVD to convince me not to pull a Lindros
How many 1st overall's go to good teams?

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:01 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
I really am having trouble understanding why Tambo has done NOTHING to shake this team up. I find it quite odd. Start getting rid of the dead-weight please.

Also I wonder when Rexall is going to start seeing a few empty seats. Can't be too much longer now.

and oh yeah, Trade Hemsky he is holding the Oilers back!!!!
I don't mean to sound like an apologist, but this is harder said then done.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:02 AM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Personally, I can't stand mc79 but there is no doubt he puts time & effort into his blog. It was neat to see him get props on HNIC (whoever he is).
Congrats to him, but now we'll never hear the end of it from the math crowd.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:03 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post

Deals won't be done until the deadline now, its when they'll get max value for the assets, but if Tambo doesn't move the right players or any players by 1PM March 3, I demand that at 1:01 PM he should clean his desk and just leave.

It's been a long time coming.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Quinn View Post
mc79hockey mentioned on afterhours! and a compliment from ron maclean!
what post???what was said

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote