HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

when do we stop caring? do you still care? do you think the players care?

Old
01-03-2010, 12:46 AM
nsoilfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
as I said--Hemsky injury is the killer

Habby--JDD's numbers have been as good as habby---goalies dont score goals

Pisani as the best penalty killer maybe 3 years ago--not now

So I dispute your findings
i know what your saying but in the cap world you are paying pisani 2.5 mil for his skills. he has not been the same player since his illness but you can not replace that either until it comes off the books.

habby and jdd's #s may be similar but they are not the same quality goalie ,,,there are many reasons why they are similar....happy was in net for our worst bout of injury / it took him a few games to get going but/ the team was still learning the so called system. ect but they are not the same quality goalie....jdd lets in to many softies/ he get rattled/ he is a rookie.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:47 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
Brownie----come on the oilers are not that banged up any more

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:53 AM
GoOilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Brownie----come on the oilers are not that banged up any more
#1 Goalie, #1 Offensive player and #1 defenceman

Wow, what are you drinking??

GoOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:56 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Funny how they wouldn't dare say that about the Leafs I don't think.

If we do get Hall, CBC will falling over themselves for the Oilers "Team Canada" with Hall, Eberle, Gagner, etc.

Too bad we could't make a trade to have two picks in the top three at the draft.The Oilers are proud to select 1st overall Taylor Hall.The Oilers are proud to select 3rd overall Cam Fowler.

We would then have Hall,Eberle,MPS,Gagner,Fowler.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 01-03-2010 at 01:01 AM.
oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:58 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoOilers View Post
#1 Goalie, #1 Offensive player and #1 defenceman

Wow, what are you drinking??

As I have stated-- using Habby is a little silly

we knew he had injury problems--the hawks brought Huet into be the number one goalie--this is not habby of the Bolts--this is the habby that stunk the joint up in chicago--JDD has held his own.

I agree with Hemsky

How long is SOURAY out for--he is the number 1 offensive d-man

lubor is their best transition d-man*there is a big difference

If HOrcoff is injured--shut him down

Penner? POS? Gagner? Brule? Cogliano? Nilsson?
Gilbert, grebs and Souray on D

Sorry

the injury excuse is now lame

HEMSKY IS THE KEY

but the rest are being shown for being bad and over paid

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:17 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

vCash: 1072
I really don't give a **** about this team, I am tired of the myriad of excuses. However, the future does look good with Eberle and Paajarvi in the pipeline. The Oilers had better do their due diligence with these two guys, that is do not rush them into the NHL.
Some things I must comment on in terms of the commentators on CBC. I really enjoyed the analysis by Kelly Hrudey, very balanced and truthful. Elliotte Friedman, who I have always respected, telling Ron MacLean how he has never seen Quinn look so defeated. It was very telling to me due to the fact how much the media from Toronto were on Quinn during his time there.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:19 AM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Too bad we could't make a trade to have two picks in the top three at the draft.The Oilers are proud to select 1st overall Taylor Hall.The Oilers are proud to select 3rd overall Cam Fowler.

We would then have Hall,Eberle,MPS,Gagner,Fowler.
a trade with the bruins at the dealine perhaps for that toronto pick???

would boston do gilbert/moreau for the first??

If toronto gets fourth or fifth last and wins the lotto and we get dead last and get the second pick we have the number one and two picks... dare to dream

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:21 AM
McDoused

I love how the fans buy into what Kevin Lowe is saying at the start of the year about this team being a contender. It obviously wasn't going to be one and we are obviously rebuilding. Fans have to start looking at what Lowe and company are doing rather than clinching on what they are saying. No team is going to come right out and say "we are in rebuild mode". They want to sell tickets.

What is the evidence?

1. We traded Erik Cole for Patrick O'Sullivan
- This showed great asset management and a team that was obviously looking forward to the future rather than the short term possiblities of getting into the playoffs and signing Cole

2. We traded Kyle Brodziak for Toni Raja and Olivier Roy. They saw Brodziaks potential and thought that those 2 players would have higer upside in the long run

3. Let Steve MacIntyre go so that Jacques can take over.

4. They locked up Tom Gilbert to a long term contract.

5. Eberle and Paajarvai were left to develop rather than rush them to the NHL.

Now obviously they have done a few Veteran signings but nothing major that is going to hurt the team in the long run. Perhaps the only bad contract that the oilers have handed out that isn't expiring soon is Shawn Horcoff's. This team could be dynamite in a couple years.

Paajarvai-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
O'Sullivan-Brule-Cogliano
Jacques-Stortini-Stone

Souray-Gilbert
Visnovsky-Smid
Grebeshkov-Peckham

McDoused is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:21 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

"The boys played well, and it wasn't too tough," Sharks centre Joe Thornton told Hockey Night in Canada after recording a couple of assists to increase his NHL-leading points total to 57.
I have heard and read this too many times from opposing players. If this is acceptable to any fan of the Oilers I really don't know what to say to you other than .

Old
01-03-2010, 01:41 AM
NotBad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
"The boys played well, and it wasn't too tough," Sharks centre Joe Thornton told Hockey Night in Canada after recording a couple of assists to increase his NHL-leading points total to 57.
I have heard and read this too many times from opposing players. If this is acceptable to any fan of the Oilers I really don't know what to say to you other than .
Well if that quote cant get the guys fired up for the next game against SJ then i dunno what to say anymore...

Sourray should Make Thorton pay for those words.

NotBad* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:03 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
there are kids in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBad View Post
Well if that quote cant get the guys fired up for the next game against SJ then i dunno what to say anymore...

Sourray should Make Thorton pay for those words.
The problem is NotBad, too many opposing players have said the same thing. This team is too easy to play against, just pressure them and the cards fold, it really is that simple.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
"The boys played well, and it wasn't too tough," Sharks centre Joe Thornton.
"Not like a playoff game," Thornton went on to add. "Thank god, could you imagine how hard it would be for me to win all these Art Ross trophies if I didn't have lottery teams to beat up on?"

Thornton then unsuccessfully attempted to butter a slice of toast.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:18 AM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsoilfan View Post
oilers will be sellers for sure.
we all know the list of sell offs i just hope they can get some good building blocks.
I dont really care what we get back unless we are moving a big name. I would gladly see Moreau and Horcoff shipped for nothing. Let Pisani retire.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:19 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post

obviously they have done a few Veteran signings but nothing major that is going to hurt the team in the long run.

Perhaps the only bad contract that the oilers have handed out that isn't expiring soon is Shawn Horcoff's.
A four year contract to a 36 year old crippled goalie says otherwise.....

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:22 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan91 View Post
The team could go 0-82 and they would still say the team is good and things are getting better.
Lets be realistic, which sportscaster ever states that the team they follow and broadcast for is utter ****?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:46 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
A four year contract to a 36 year old crippled goalie says otherwise.....
Blessing in disguise, if only because Lowe/Tambellini have to think extra-carefully about how they're going to use the cap space they do have (ie no more Pisani/Gilbert contracts).

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Rafters

think we need to see some 'We Want Hall' signs at rexall so management don't get any stupid ideas of trying to turn this around..........

also time to rotate the 2 goalies........give DD every 2nd game to see if he will be ready sooner or later

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:50 AM
Arpeggio

I don't care, I don't watch, wake me up when the draft comes on.

Edit: I don't even know if they won or lost, but I'm assuming they lost.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:55 AM
McOilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I dont really care what we get back unless we are moving a big name. I would gladly see Moreau and Horcoff shipped for nothing. Let Pisani retire.
Bingo. The key is getting rid of bad contracts so we can actually rebuild. None of this, lets stock this team up with overpaid vets and rebuild crap.

Souray, Moreau, Horcoff should be on the block and getting offered for anything small.

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Bingo. The key is getting rid of bad contracts so we can actually rebuild. None of this, lets stock this team up with overpaid vets and rebuild crap.

Souray, Moreau, Horcoff should be on the block and getting offered for anything small.
bet O'Marra could probably play as well as Horc right now......sell the vets and see which kids can sink or swim....

Old
01-03-2010, 02:59 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

Not that I disagree with the need to clean house, but I'm curious: How does capspace fuel a rebuild exactly? By the time the ELC's are up for the newcomers, these contracts would be done or winding down anyway.

Only thing you're doing by putting every veteran on the chopping block is forcing the kids to play primary roles - and it will harm the inexperienced players more than it will build a winning culture.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Not that I disagree with the need to clean house, but I'm curious: How does capspace fuel a rebuild exactly? By the time the ELC's are up for the newcomers, these contracts would be done or winding down anyway.

Only thing you're doing by putting every veteran on the chopping block is forcing the kids to play primary roles - and it will harm the inexperienced players more than it will build a winning culture.
kind of like the winning culture happening right now????or the last 4 yrs??......unfortunately there are a few vets that are doing more harm then good right now....especially if they are not giving 100% since they know the season is a lost cause

our inexperienced players are in there 3-5 yr pro......it is not like they are playing a bunch of NHL rookies here

Old
01-03-2010, 03:03 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
L10 1-9-0

/whistle

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
bet O'Marra could probably play as well as Horc right now......sell the vets and see which kids can sink or swim....
It certainly can't get any worse. The man's career is in a tailspin thanks to the contract he signed.

I'm being charitable with my perception of Tambo's inaction thus far. My optimistic side -- whatever is left of it at this point -- has decided that he's just waiting until after the Olympics, or at least until the week up to the trade deadline, to move players for maximum value. This tactic simultaneously assures this current group of sadsacks drags the team as low as possible into a good draft position.

At least that's how I coax myself to sleep at night.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:14 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post

They could spend the cap space on a few FA veterans to replace the old guard, and create a new atmosphere in the locker room. I'm not talking about a Kovalchuk, but some solid players with winning attitudes. Guys like Holmstrom, Cullen, Nolan, Madden, even a Tkachuk. I mean, even guys like Cooke just to add some personality to the team.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote