HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Pat Quinn Done?

View Poll Results: Will Pat Quinn still be coach in 2010-2011?
Yes 76 57.58%
No 38 28.79%
Maybe/Unknown 18 13.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2010, 12:06 AM
OilerNut*

vCash: 500
Pat Quinn Done?

Will Pat Quinn still be the coach next season? Or will he be fired or step down?

After the post game interview CBC mentioned that Quinn looked defeated and has no fight left in him.

I can see Pat Quinn stepping down after this season if the Oilers continue to be this bad, can't make him look too good.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
RKD

No chance he gets fired. But the idea has been tossed around that he could potentially move into the GM spot, which I personally think would be a good move.

01-03-2010, 12:08 AM
Soundwave

If they get Hall or Seguin, I suspect he could be convinced to come back for another year, but yeah I don't think he signed up for a tank job.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
Doc Scurlock

I can see him stepping down and Renney taking over. I don't think he expected things to be this bad and I don't think he'll stick around for the rebuild.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
No chance he gets fired. But the idea has been tossed around that he could potentially move into the GM spot, which I personally think would be a good move.
I like that and get rid of Tambi.

01-03-2010, 12:11 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

I'm hoping Quinn toughs it out this year to reap the rewards that are coming. The management really hung him out to dry with this team, its totally unworkable. Vets balking at the system, too many AHL calibre players, no semblance of a checking line whatsoever, really passive play. A lot of the problems that stemmed from last year.

I really think Quinn can do some good things with the rookies that are coming, that being said I don't think we'll be making the playoffs in his stay here.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:12 AM
syz
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

It would certainly be better for his health.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Pat Quinn grossly underestimated how much would be required here and how bad this team is.

Not sure why he wanted to do this in the first place and I called this from the start that it wasn't going to work out.

Serious mismatch.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Semper Fidelis

Voted yes. The season has pretty much hit the halfway mark...

I don't think Quinn can handle this personally unless Tamby shakes up the roster.

Last edited by Semper Fidelis: 01-03-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Semper Fidelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:14 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
He may step down. This team.....hell Renney may not wanna coach these losers.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:16 AM
camboy

The only way Quinn steps aside from coaching this team is if he is named GM. The man is not a quitter.

camboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
He may step down. This team.....hell Renney may not wanna coach these losers.
Renney took the gig knowing he'd probably replace Quinn 2-3 years.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:17 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Pat Quinn grossly underestimated how much would be required here and how bad this team is.

Not sure why he wanted to do this in the first place and I called this from the start that it wasn't going to work out.

Serious mismatch.
Pat Quinn was the right choice, not changing a lot of the personnel was the wrong choice. I feel bad for Quinn, there's nothing he can do with this team and he knows it. I don't think there is anything anyone can do with this team as it stands to make it thrive.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 50
I feel sorry for the guy, I hope he stay's , but for his health, I sorta want him to Retire.

Oiler Crude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:19 AM
OILW30

I say the bad season means he's even more likely to stay. Why come back just to have one lowsy season and quit?

Also, is there any evidence that Quinn would be a good pick for GM?

OILW30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nye

I hope he stays.

Last edited by nye: 01-03-2010 at 01:14 AM.
nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joey Moss
Proud to select...

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
The only way Quinn steps aside from coaching this team is if he is named GM. The man is not a quitter.
Exactly, why would Quinn just step down after 1 season.. he had to know there was already a mess of a team here.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
If they get Hall or Seguin, I suspect he could be convinced to come back for another year, but yeah I don't think he signed up for a tank job.
I like Quinn, but I think this is kind of funny. The guy starts the year expressing doubt about the calibre of his players ("the management tells me that" etc) and he's supposed to be surprised about what he has to work with. The guy set the expectations bar low right from the get go. He's also one of the most experience hockey guys in the world and he should have the ability to know what he was getting into when he agreed to take the job.

Fact of the matter is, this team is not only worse than last year but quite a few players are playing much worse for him than they did for MacTavish. IMO, if we were treating Quinn with even a fraction of the vile spent on MacTavish last year, we'd be giving Quinn and his staff at least some of the blame.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:21 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:

Serious mismatch.
Did you call Hemsky and Khabibulin out for the year too? Please, Toe Blake couldnt get this team out of the basement.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Pat Quinn was the right choice, not changing a lot of the personnel was the wrong choice. I feel bad for Quinn, there's nothing he can do with this team and he knows it. I don't think there is anything anyone can do with this team as it stands to make it thrive.
Given that it was clear the club was making no salient lineup changes it was the wrong choice.

We recruited a team tough type coach to work with a smurf forward lineup and a team with an entitled attitude with juicy contracts and no ambition.

Quinn wasn't up for this challenge.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
I like Quinn, but I think this is kind of funny. The guy starts the year expressing doubt about the calibre of his players ("the management tells me that" etc) and he's supposed to be surprised about what he has to work with. The guy set the expectations bar low right from the get go. He's also one of the most experience hockey guys in the world and he should have the ability to know what he was getting into when he agreed to take the job.

Fact of the matter is, this team is not only worse than last year but quite a few players are playing much worse for him than they did for MacTavish. IMO, if we were treating Quinn with even a fraction of the vile spent on MacTavish last year, we'd be giving Quinn and his staff at least some of the blame.
Mac T did not have to deal with this many injuries. Most of the forwards are doing as well if not better than last year. Souray/Gilbert have taken steps backwards, Visnovsky and Smid are playing better, the rest is a wash.

Roloson is the main reason we managed a half-way decent record last year (look what he's doing for the Islanders).

Old
01-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Did you call Hemsky and Khabibulin out for the year too? Please, Toe Blake couldnt get this team out of the basement.
Quinn hockey was no fit for this team from the start.

Quinn himself was no fit for the degree of challenge this would involve.

Turns out I wasn't at all wrong on that.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Walsher

I find it ironic to watch the contrast in how people react towards Quinn vs. MacT. Last year the coach was 100% to blame and this year everyone "feels sorry" for Quinn...

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Quinn hockey was no fit for this team from the start.

Quinn himself was no fit for the degree of challenge this would involve.

Turns out I wasn't at all wrong on that.
Dunno if I agree with that, they were playing fairly hard for a good stretch there. The injuries have just caught up to them which was inevitable.

Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post

The only thing I can give blame to Quinn is for *****ing out the players after a 3-2 loss to the Kings, thats the game that sent everything into a tailspin. It was a card that needed to played at a later point, given the fragility of this hockey club. Other than that he has done everything he can do to push this team to be better, it just doesn't have the horses nor the headspace to compete game in, game out. This is a team that has a difficult time overcoming adversity.