HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn Done?

View Poll Results: Will Pat Quinn still be coach in 2010-2011?
Yes 76 57.58%
No 38 28.79%
Maybe/Unknown 18 13.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
You're asking two different questions. The title asks one, and the actual poll asks the opposite. Skewed results.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
I find it ironic to watch the contrast in how people react towards Quinn vs. MacT. Last year the coach was 100% to blame and this year everyone "feels sorry" for Quinn...
no kidding...Quinn couldn't coach last years team to a much better result

Quinn is no quitter, he'll stay as long as the management wants him too could I'm sure he thinks this is last kick at the cat coaching...

however, this team is years away from contending and Quinn doesn't seem to fit the team

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Quinn hockey was no fit for this team from the start.

Quinn himself was no fit for the degree of challenge this would involve.

Turns out I wasn't at all wrong on that.
What are you talking about? We started out very well. Not up to it from the start? Not fit for the challenge involved? Do you have anything to back this up with? You have no idea.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:28 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
I find it ironic to watch the contrast in how people react towards Quinn vs. MacT. Last year the coach was 100% to blame and this year everyone "feels sorry" for Quinn...
I felt sorry for macT as well last year, but his time was up and it was time to give someone else a shot. Yes, macT was unfairly treated on these boards, but it was time.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:30 AM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Uhmm...not everyone. I've made plenty of comments about Quinn. I think he does a lousy job managing the game from behind the bench. Expressing that opinion is never popular however and certain posters just love to jump all over it...

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:31 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What are you talking about? We started out very well. Not up to it from the start? Not fit for the challenge involved? Do you have anything to back this up with? You have no idea.
I need something other than the ruinous result to back this up?

How many players on this club look even remotely to be giving it their all right now?

How many passengers?

Its actually shocking how quickly these players have totally lost interest.

Souray is sleeping out there. He looks bored. Ever think you'd see that?

Energy guys like Stone, JFJ, Storts playing like they don't give a crap when they should be pumped any game they play in the bigs.

Who on this team is putting it all on the line for Quinn?

I don't think its a handful.

no but wait, Quinns done a great job here..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:31 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Given that it was clear the club was making no salient lineup changes it was the wrong choice.

We recruited a team tough type coach to work with a smurf forward lineup and a team with an entitled attitude with juicy contracts and no ambition.

Quinn wasn't up for this challenge.
You're suggesting that the team was a surprise to him? I don't buy that at all. I've never seen any new coach take as much pain to publicly disassociate himself from the roster on practically his first day on the job.

Quinn was hired as coach, not GM. If he didn't think he could coach the team he was given, he shouldn't have taken the job. Conversely, if he knew he had a long term project in front of him, he shouldn't have been so publicly critical (he can be as frank as he wants in house). Part of the rebuild is to help the management to put lipstick on some frankensteins.

hillbillypriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:
Gee, oh I dont know, might have something to do with the fact he has been here for forty games as opposed to 600.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:34 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

How many players on this club look even remotely to be giving it their all right now?

How many passengers?

Energy guys like Stone, JFJ, Storts playing like they don't give a crap when they should be pumped any game they play in the bigs.

Penner, Brule, Nilsson, Gagner, Staois, Smid, Potulny, Visnovsky are playing hard. Horcoff is doing what he can, obviously he is hurt also. There's just not enough talent there to win games at this level. Gilbert is coming around.

Souray is the one notable guy who has really dropped off from last year, but I dunno, maybe that's more on him because I don't think he wants to be in a rebuilding situation or his family issues are getting into his head. I'm not sure he's fully gotten over that concussion either.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:34 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:

How many passengers?

No Visnovsky, no Hemsky, no starting goalie, an injured Horcoff, they lose 4-1 to the best team in the conference on the road and this is your response? Wow.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:36 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Gee, oh I dont know, might have something to do with the fact he has been here for forty games as opposed to 600.
This basically sums up this whole thread.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:37 AM
OILW30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
You're asking two different questions. The title asks one, and the actual poll asks the opposite. Skewed results.
LMAO

OILW30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
You're suggesting that the team was a surprise to him? I don't buy that at all. I've never seen any new coach take as much pain to publicly disassociate himself from the roster on practically his first day on the job.

Quinn was hired as coach, not GM. If he didn't think he could coach the team he was given, he shouldn't have taken the job. Conversely, if he knew he had a long term project in front of him, he shouldn't have been so publicly critical (he can be as frank as he wants in house). Part of the rebuild is to help the management to put lipstick on some frankensteins.
I still wonder why he took this job. If ever there was a mismatch it was this team. They just weren't going to play Quinn hockey which was at least imo evident from the start.

I don't think Quinn thought, or is thinking this through too clearly. your bolded comments indicate the same.

Quinn has shown the same limited good sense in commentary on his players that got MacT in trouble after 7years of frustration finally boiled over.

But Quinn really was doing this from the outset and morning glories and creampuffs really signalled a sort of disgust in this lineup.

I've always said this but the only way Quinn being here makes sense is if Tambo and Lowe are sacked and Quinn takes the helm and is in position to actually make the changes.

That I could get behind.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
No Visnovsky, no Hemsky, no starting goalie, an injured Horcoff, they lose 4-1 to the best team in the conference on the road and this is your response? Wow.
The club has lost 9/10 games.

CBC refers to them postgame as "The lowly Oilers"

Are my comments really just about this game?

Old
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

I really don't think that he can take another season of this, i believe that he'll step down and that Renney will take over, i believe that this was the plan when they were both hired but will happen maybe sooner than they expected.
Actually, i'll make a bold prediction and say that he steps down before the end of the season and then takes on another position within the organization.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

It was the "lowly Penguins" five years ago too.

What's happening now could be a big positive for the franchise in the future. It is what it is, it's probably just our time.

I feel worse for the Leafs who have no 1st for the next two years.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
tru_gq

There is no way he quits knowing we may have a taylor hall, Eberle, Omark, and a Svensson in our lineup in a year or two... what I am saying is that he inherited a mess from bad signings by Lowe and without tinkering with the roster for the next 2 years first he will not quit...

If he doesnt give it 3 years to turn us into a contender I will be shocked... this is very premature in terms of saying he will quit... its his first fricken year.. be patient

Staios, Horc, and Moreau have to go... now im starting to lean towards Osullivan as well..... we need major changes in our leadership group

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I am the Liquor
finger sniffer

Quote:

I want you to tell me what Quinn is doing wrong. Specifically. What would you do differently? What is Quinn not doing that he should be doing? Please be specific and give examples to support your view. Oh, and try not to throw the insults around. You have said this is his fault. I want to know why.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not everyone.
A new year and the results don't change.
Anyone that thought Quinn was the answer to what ailed this team was a fool.
Myself and others have said time and time again since he was fired that MacT was not the issue with this team. It took another 1/2 a season for some people to realize as much.

Injuries are not the issue as some would claim. This team is lacking a lot of things but first and foremost is that it has little to no heart, and that isn't a product of talent.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:43 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
This is it in a nutshell. By any measure, the clock had to run out on MacTavish. Fair deal. However, this year is showing that the criticism of MacTavish went over the top. He was not THE problem, but he was sure made out to be by a lot of folks.

Honestly, I actually think MacTavish is a better coach in this situation because I think his strength is one on one teaching. I seriously question whether constantly criticizing the team through the media was ever going to be successful with so many young players and/or fragile egos to work with.

Old
01-03-2010, 12:45 AM
tru_gq

Quote:
dont forget 237+ man games lost... is our club record still 286?? If so we are a lock to set a new record for man games lost

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:45 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Not everyone.
A new year and the results don't change.
Anyone that thought Quinn was the answer to what ailed this team was a fool.
Myself and others have said time and time again since he was fired that MacT was not the issue with this team. It took another 1/2 a season for some people to realize as much.

Injuries are not the issue as some would claim. This team is lacking a lot of things but first and foremost is that it has little to no heart, and that isn't a product of talent.
Agreed, there are issues on this team that Khabibulin and Hemsky cannot help with and it starts with playing between the ears and the will to win, and that goes for every single player that plays on this team.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:48 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
I want you to tell me what Quinn is doing wrong. Specifically. What would you do differently? What is Quinn not doing that he should be doing? Please be specific and give examples to support your view. Oh, and try not to throw the insults around. You have said this is his fault. I want to know why.
Why should I bother?

Old
01-03-2010, 12:48 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 968
all star game he retires

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 12:49 AM
hillbillypriest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
It was the "lowly Penguins" five years ago too.

What's happening now could be a big positive for the franchise in the future. It is what it is, it's probably just our time.

I feel worse for the Leafs who have no 1st for the next two years.
You notice how little the inbred national hockey media has picked up on this. It's the Burke is god, Lowe is crap double standard. The media literally was predicting the Oilers would be giving the Ducks a top five pick from day one of the 07-08 season. It's mid season now and the where are the nah nah nah's to Burke?