HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Pat Quinn Done?

View Poll Results: Will Pat Quinn still be coach in 2010-2011?
Yes 76 57.58%
No 38 28.79%
Maybe/Unknown 18 13.64%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
The irony if Quinn is moved up to GM is Tambellini basically hired his own replacement

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:02 AM
alexo

I think it's silly to suggest he gets fired. I think we can say that coaching wasn't the big issue here in the past (although I'm still very happy MacT was let go), and I don't think it is now. This team is just seriously lacking some key components. One being those faceoff/PKers every single fan suggested the Oilers get, but Tambellini shot down. The other being some more defensive minded d-men.

I have a feeling that Tambellini (and co.) is still oblivious to these needs though.

Tonight the goaltending was suspect early on too... which doesn't help their cause much (unlike in Calgary where he was phenomenal).

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:03 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The irony if Quinn is moved up to GM is Tambellini basically hired his own replacement
At least he did something right. He can put it on his resume.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I think you forgot a couple of steps.

Fire Lowbellini.

Replace them with someone that knows wtf they are doing.
If Lowebellini flubs this season they should be in a van down by the river. The direction of the team this year is obvious, anything but looking towards diving and next years draft is lunacy.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:04 AM
I am the Liquor

I think everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room. My eternal praise and gratitude goes to anyone who can guess what that is.

Hint*

Nobody has mentioned it yet.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
I think everyone is avoiding the elephant in the room. My eternal praise and gratitude goes to anyone who can guess what that is.

Hint*

Nobody has mentioned it yet.
Horcoff? Katz? O'Sullivan? Toby Petersen?

Old
01-03-2010, 02:07 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Horcoff?
Nope.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Nope.
Give me a hint! Is it Moreau?

Old
01-03-2010, 02:10 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Shakira? Charo?

Old
01-03-2010, 02:10 AM
alanschu

That the Oilers actually are tanking?

I don't know what management's plans are, but how do things work if upper management has decided to tank the season?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:11 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
That the Oilers actually are tanking?

I don't know what management's plans are, but how do things work if upper management has decided to tank the season?
Play Horcoff and O'Sullivan excessively?

Old
01-03-2010, 02:15 AM
I am the Liquor

Daryl Katz.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Daryl Katz.
Katz has a lot of money, and is a loyal fan ... but really unless the game is selling medicine, what does he know about running a hockey franchise?

He should sit back and keep his hands off for now and focus on the arena stuff.

If he wants to be useful he can bury Horcoff's contract in the minors in about oh ... 2 or 3 years.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:22 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Katz has a lot of money, and is a loyal fan ... but really unless the game is selling medicine, what does he know about running a hockey franchise?

He should sit back and keep his hands off for now and focus on the arena stuff.

If he wants to be useful he can bury Horcoff's contract in the minors in about oh ... 2 or 3 years.
That is just it. Isnt it? He holds the ultimate power. Is he Harold Ballard or Mike llitch?

Old
01-03-2010, 02:25 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
Will Pat Quinn still be the coach next season? Or will he be fired or step down?

After the post game interview CBC mentioned that Quinn looked defeated and has no fight left in him.

I can see Pat Quinn stepping down after this season if the Oilers continue to be this bad, can't make him look too good.
i seen this coming before the season even started.

i dont even think he was prepared to what he was getting himself into at all. his interviews leading into the season were like some old, "i know what the hell im doing" codger by not learning the situation - not knowing the players, etc.... then he stepped into the hell zone.

this was totally setup that way too so Renney could take over when the Motivational Speaker wore out. Quinn either becomes some new GM type dude or hits the road and quits for good.

hes an OK dude. i dont mind his style but i think he came in kind of pompous. like "eh, i dont know or care who any of these dudes are. we'll see what we got and figured it out from there." sorry, cant do that and then act disappointed later when every fan could have seen the retard camp that was coming this season regardless of coaching.

the whole Dump MAC-T fiend fest last season was the WRONG focus by the zealot fans. MacTavish or not, the roster still ate butt and the fans were dumb enough to buy the players side. "Sam Gagner will be a magic boy for me to watch when MacTavish is gone." Magic Elves with no Magic.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:25 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
That is just it. Isnt it? He holds the ultimate power. Is he Harold Ballard or Mike llitch?
He doesn't have much power really. He can change the GM and whoopidy doo, that isn't going to immediately change things on the ice.

He can't sign UFAs (as evident by the Hossa thing). He can use his considerable wealth to maybe "eat" one contract, but now's not the time to do that.

Best thing he can do now is sit pat.

If the franchise can land a Taylor Hall, a lot of issues will start resolving themselves.

If there was no cap, then Katz' ability to impact the franchise would obviously increase exponentially.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:30 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

I think Quinn will be here a couple more years yet. He was brought in to change the culture of a team long gone stale and self-satified. It's pretty obvious that there are few workable elements left on this team that has let the character and talent bleed away over the years.

While this is turning into a bit of a Mact/Quinn debate, it's far different on the team these days. No longer do the players play scared sh**less of being benched if they make a mistake(real or imagined). There are no personal attacks on salaries or fitness levels in the media, or really any blatent whipping boys as there have been in years past. More often than not, Quinn is protecting the players in the media when the easier solution would be naming names and laying blame. It's all about the team mentality with him, and that is exactly what this team needs considering some of the more prominent vets on this team over the last few years have been more interested in passing the blame to others, backed by a coach that was more than willing to overlook their faults.

The core needs to be changed, we've known that for years even when Mact was around. Now with a coach that doesn't have strong attachments, we might actually get to see those. Though, I'm still on a wait and see on that, the Oilers have been borderline inactive over the last 2 years, who knows if they do much of anything other than rev up the yearly propganda machine.

Personally, I'm glad the Oilers have given up as well. Last few years, the late season "pride" runs did nothing but hurt the organization long term by creating false expectations in no pressure enviroments that the team had no chance of repeating. As a result, players were overrated and overpaid, management and coaching types were kept around long past their due date, and draft picks were worse than they should have been. There is no chance of being successful through winning this year, so the obvious and logical(abeit painful) route is losing and getting someone who could be a franchise player.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 02:30 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
He doesn't have much power really. He can change the GM and whoopidy doo, that isn't going to immediately change things on the ice.

He can't sign UFAs (as evident by the Hossa thing). He can use his considerable wealth to maybe "eat" one contract, but now's not the time to do that.

Best thing he can do now is sit pat.

If the franchise can land a Taylor Hall, a lot of issues will start resolving themselves.

If there was no cap, then Katz' ability to impact the franchise would obviously increase exponentially.
Maybe he gives the gm a mandate and keeps interfering? Im not saying that is what he does but we dont really know what the deal is do we? I mean it has been alluded to in articles that he is going to be hands off, but only time will tell. Hopefully it is the way it was presented in the article, but I havent seen too much said about it on here.

Old
01-03-2010, 02:58 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Maybe he gives the gm a mandate and keeps interfering? Im not saying that is what he does but we dont really know what the deal is do we? I mean it has been alluded to in articles that he is going to be hands off, but only time will tell. Hopefully it is the way it was presented in the article, but I havent seen too much said about it on here.
No one talks about it because no one knows. The only thing we've heard is that he may have tried negotiate a deal with Laraque, and that he may be good friends with Horcoff. We also know he's best friends with guys like Kevin Lowe and Craig Mactavish. He allowed MacT to be fired, and hired a replacement for Lowe.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think he has any say in things like trades. Something like moving Quinn to GM and firing Tambo would obviously have to come from him though.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:05 AM
Digger12

I think there's some traction to the idea that Quinn came into this job thinking that the problems of this team weren't as bad as they're obviously turning out to be. The question is, was that notion of his own making, or was a bill of goods sold to him and he took it at face value?

Admittedly bad injuries to key personnel that he was expecting to count on haven't helped his cause, but as things stand today he's the coach of a team that's 15 points out of a playoff spot in a conference where the 8th place team is on pace for a 99 point season (I would expect that this rate isn't sustainable, and will likely fall down to around the 93-95 point range), and a half dozen teams to leapfrog just to get that spot. Even at that reduced point total which may or may not turn true, the Oilers would need to immediately win approx. 3 out of every 4 games from now until the end of the season. 3 out of 4. With no Hemsky, and very likely Khabibulin too I would wager. Oh yeah, and our supposed #1 center going into this season is on pace for less than 40 points, and is bleeding goals against playing with an injury.

I have been watching the Oilers since they first joined the NHL, and I honestly can't remember a time when this team was this close to last overall in the NHL, past the halfway point of the season.

This collection of misfits have no chance in Hell of making the playoffs, and the deafening silence by Tambellini says to me that he's not in disagreement over that particular fact.

Remember how bad the 06/07 Death March was, how negative the fans in the stands were? I think we're on the verge of seeing it get even worse, and I think it'll be a surprise to the 'this team will sell out no matter what slop they feed the paying public!' crowd how quickly those seats will empty. Miss the playoffs 6 out of 8 years like the Oilers will inevitably pull off by this April, and I expect the fans to turn ugly...which won't help Katz sell them on a new arena.

As for Quinn being the next GM? I'd be surprised if that happened...he's over 66 years old, and I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't rather find something more useful to do with his time then preside over a long term rebuild at that stage in his life.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I think there's some traction to the idea that Quinn came into this job thinking that the problems of this team weren't as bad as they're obviously turning out to be. The question is, was that notion of his own making, or was a bill of goods sold to him and he took it at face value?

Admittedly bad injuries to key personnel that he was expecting to count on haven't helped his cause, but as things stand today he's the coach of a team that's 15 points out of a playoff spot in a conference where the 8th place team is on pace for a 99 point season (I would expect that this rate isn't sustainable, and will likely fall down to around the 93-95 point range), and a half dozen teams to leapfrog just to get that spot. Even at that reduced point total which may or may not turn true, the Oilers would need to immediately win approx. 3 out of every 4 games from now until the end of the season. 3 out of 4. With no Hemsky, and very likely Khabibulin too I would wager. Oh yeah, and our supposed #1 center going into this season is on pace for less than 40 points, and is bleeding goals against playing with an injury.

I have been watching the Oilers since they first joined the NHL, and I honestly can't remember a time when this team was this close to last overall in the NHL, past the halfway point of the season.

This collection of misfits have no chance in Hell of making the playoffs, and the deafening silence by Tambellini says to me that he's not in disagreement over that particular fact.

Remember how bad the 06/07 Death March was, how negative the fans in the stands were? I think we're on the verge of seeing it get even worse, and I think it'll be a surprise to the 'this team will sell out no matter what slop they feed the paying public!' crowd how quickly those seats will empty. Miss the playoffs 6 out of 8 years like the Oilers will inevitably pull off by this April, and I expect the fans to turn ugly...which won't help Katz sell them on a new arena.

As for Quinn being the next GM? I'd be surprised if that happened...he's over 66 years old, and I have a hard time believing that he wouldn't rather find something more useful to do with his time then preside over a long term rebuild at that stage in his life.
although most of the negativity in 06/07 was also due to the Smyth trade...................fans need to show management how they feel with some ' WE WANT HALL' signs in the stands

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

He's probably not done, but he's probably frustrated that nobody on this team learns anything good that they don't forget after one game.

As much as I hate to say it, at some point bad habits are more than just bad habits. They're just bad players.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:13 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
although most of the negativity in 06/07 was also due to the Smyth trade...................fans need to show management how they feel with some ' WE WANT HALL' signs in the stands
I wonder if the Rexall staff would let a sign like that be displayed in the stands during a televised game, or if they'd censor it like they've done in the past with 'FIRE LOWE' signs.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:15 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I wonder if the Rexall staff would let a sign like that be displayed in the stands during a televised game, or if they'd censor it like they've done in the past with 'FIRE LOWE' signs.
If 10000 fans start chanting it during a game, they can't send everybody out.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:27 AM
S Crumb

Quote:
Honestly #2 is the only one that really matters.

Chicago instead of shedding salary actually started taking on more salary, but they got away with it because all they basically did was get #2 right.

Talent has a funny way of overriding pretty much every other issue your franchise has.
The really sad part is, is that you never get #2 right. When your team just stinks so bad and there is no way out you go to option number 2. A lot of people on this board (not implying you Soundwave) talk about Pittsburgh and Chicago as a model. Their teams were so horrid and mismanaged they stunk so bad and got good draft picks. I think my newborn daughter could be a GM in that scenario. This unfortunately is where we are at. I am not a hater, basher etc... I just can't believe we are at the point where people are excited about this. This rebuild is far from a sure thing and it kills me to have to be a part of this right now. I am sure Pat Quinn feels the same.

S Crumb is offline   Reply With Quote