HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Old school wood stick vs today's sticks.

Old
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
edog37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
If you have a woodie that lasts longer than 4 hours .... go see a doctor immediatey.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:03 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog37 View Post
look at the amount of times players break their sticks on a shot in a game. It was never this prevalent 20 years ago....
And there is quite abit more to that then just wood v comp

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
I'm careful with it, but I just the feel of the puck on it vs a composite.
Its not so much about the stick breaking, its the fact that after a certain amount of use it turns into a noodle and is useless.

There is no way a woodie has last 20 years at any consistent rate and is still performing.

Old
01-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Heat McManus

I prefer the feel of a wood blade vs comp blade as well. The natural dampening effect of wood has yet to be replicated on a comp blade for me.

That said, I go through wood blades pretty quickly where as my comp blades last me longer......weird.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:58 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
I prefer the feel of a wood blade vs comp blade as well. The natural dampening effect of wood has yet to be replicated on a comp blade for me.

That said, I go through wood blades pretty quickly where as my comp blades last me longer......weird.
same here.

Old
01-09-2010, 01:44 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
It's not weird if you look at the science and not the "OMG a stick broke wood wood wood wood wood!" that so many people who have never touched a hockey stick, much less a composite one spout.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 02:35 PM
robmneilson

I was at stick and puck last night and traded my One90 for a sherwood for about 15 minutes. Certainly felt REALLY strange, and I could barely get off a decent wrist shot with the heavier wood stick.

I'm sure if I stuck with it I would be shooting perfectly normally after a little while, but it did not lead me to go back and buy a woodie the next time I need a stick!

robmneilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It's not weird if you look at the science and not the "OMG a stick broke wood wood wood wood wood!" that so many people who have never touched a hockey stick, much less a composite one spout.
I could be wrong here, but i read that comment as more tongue in cheek to the guys saying wood is more "durable".

Old
01-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
It was sarcasm....thought you knew me better than that hehe

Old
01-09-2010, 04:05 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
It was sarcasm....thought you knew me better than that hehe
Sarcasm comes across really badly in text, especially when it could be presented seriously. Read up on Poe's law.

Use one of these to make it clear:

I don't put in the effort to remember what poster is on what side of every discussion. I remember some, but that's the exception not the rule. If it's something that a lot of people say seriously and don't indicate it as sarcasm, odds are somebody (ya know, like me) will miss it.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
look at the amount of times players break their sticks on a shot in a game. It was never this prevalent 20 years ago....
While it may seem that way on the surface as CaptJeff pointed out YOU never saw how many WOOD sticks were thrown out because they lost their flex after 4 slapshots or cracked at the height of the puck from not very much use.

Wood sticks break and it is the blades that break and they break MUCH easier than compos do. You don't see a guy switch his wood stick with another on the bench because his blade is cracked.

I am also sure you remember wood blades breaking in aluminum shafts as well "back in the day".

They then went to graphite and or fiberglas shafts with wood blades through the mid to late 90s until composite one piece sticks flew onto the scene.

Hey .... it's hockey, stuff gets broken.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:56 PM
stick9

Quote:
Yet, they still choose composite...go figure.

Look at the difference in the guys shooting the puck compared to 20 years ago.

You watch games from the 80's and you see guys constantly checking their blades. Wood blades were made using multiple layers of wood laminated together. Once the coating wore off or the blade chipped the wood soaked up water like s sponge, causing the layers to de-laminate. Once that happened the entier stick was toast.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Heat McManus

Just to add this little tidbit:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=305850

Quote:
"I used (a) wood blade for a long time and they didn't make it anymore so I switched to a one-piece and it definitely helps with your shot," says Crosby.

Old
01-13-2010, 09:56 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Yeah and 20 years ago players weren't nearly as strong as today's players. Couple that with who knows how many slashes these sticks take, then you get a crack and that's when it breaks. I've never had any good luck with a wood stick. They usually break fairly quickly. I've only had one composite break on me I believe.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 09:58 AM
HockeyGuy1975

This topic is a personal fav of mine. I have a small collection of classic wood sticks. Anyone else out there collect wood sticks?

I'm one of those men's league guys that still can't get accustomed to comp blades. I had a couple, and have recently switched back to an Easton Ultra-Lite with a wood blade. The problem is upon switching back and forth, nothing feels correct.

HockeyGuy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Sherwood RM8 95 flex, Stastny

It's my first composite after my wooden Bauer blade split in half after a few slapshots. Pretty happy with it and the rubber grip is nice. It's a bit too stiff for my liking, maybe i'll try 85 flex for my next stick. The Stastny curve is also not the best for slapshot's, if you like to shoot them (me). It lift's the puck way too easily. Would have gotten a bit more closed blade if they had anything else. The 95 flex is perfect with slapshot's but like i said it's not the best choice with the stastny curve.

Taken from the thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...0#post23974380

I made that bold above for the undying woodie stick fans who claim wood doesn't break easily.

.... back to your regularly scheduled programming.... thank you

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Sif

Will really low temperatures compromise the durability of composites in any way? I've never owned one myself but seen plenty of composite floorball sticks brake after drives to away games in my youth. Which is what has deterred me from purchasing one as I want something that lasts quite a while, especially when paying that kind of money.

I primarly skate on outdoor rinks, no matches or anything, so not a whole lot of slashes and chopping going on, just the odd slapshot and some wristers.

Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:21 PM
ponder

I grew up using wood sticks until my mid teens, then went back and forth between wood sticks and composites through HS hockey, and now use composites exclusively. My thoughts:

What I like about wood sticks
- Nice puck feel
- The overall weight and wood blade are both nice for receiving passes

What I like about high end composites
- Much more durable than wood sticks. Sure, they'll occasionally break spectacularly, but mostly they last me around 6-12 months of heavy use. Wood sticks break and wear down more subtly, but the blade generally becomes unusable or straight up breaks within a few weeks of heavy use, if not sooner. I'd say that on average a composite blade/stick probably lasts me around 10 times longer than a wood blade/stick, and no, I'm not exaggerating. Wood sticks only last a long time if you're OK with using noodly, delaminated, fraying wood blades
- I like the lightness and crisp, precise feel for stick handling
- I find them MUCH better for snap shots, and I mostly take snap shots

Roughly equal for
- Slap shots (my slap shot is roughly the same with a composite or a stiffer wood stick)
- Passing

Overall I much prefer composites, better for stick handling and snap shots, which is pretty much my entire game, I would never go back. Also, when you consider how much more durable composites are, they aren't more expensive in the long run.

I do, however, prefer a wood stick to an entry level composite, entry level composites are awful (shoot like crap, heavier than a light wood stick Sherwood 5030, zero puck feel, etc.), they're often durable but the performance is so bad that you WANT them to break. I think most people who dislike composites have probably only used crap ones, the high end composites are fantastic.

Last edited by ponder: 02-15-2012 at 05:27 PM.
ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 05:32 PM
dwreckm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sif View Post
Will really low temperatures compromise the durability of composites in any way? I've never owned one myself but seen plenty of composite floorball sticks brake after drives to away games in my youth. Which is what has deterred me from purchasing one as I want something that lasts quite a while, especially when paying that kind of money.

I primarly skate on outdoor rinks, no matches or anything, so not a whole lot of slashes and chopping going on, just the odd slapshot and some wristers.
Necromancer casts "Raise Dead"

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Sif

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwreckm View Post
Necromancer casts "Raise Dead"
Well, it was linked in the compendium sticky. So I thought there was no point in starting a new thread for a single question.

Sif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 06:43 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Well, it was linked in the compendium sticky. So I thought there was no point in starting a new thread for a single question.
Thanks

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
r3cc0s

A top stick will be light, tough, consistant and have good dampening and feedback...

Wood sticks feel good but lack durability and do not have a kick point and aren't consistant....

Last time I used a full wood stick, my forearms felt way more tired... But there is a lot more weight to poke checks lol

I do like wood bladed 2 pieces.. I will likely grab an st or ak27 shaft and buy a half dozen easton iginla wood blades... (They're cheep) and I won't care about chipping the blade during face offs.

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 12:31 AM
michaelshu

Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I'm not as old as you are (30), yet i still like wooden sticks better, mainly because of the blade feel. I haven't tried any top-end sticks though.. my latest OPS was an X40 and I hated the pingy blade.

I mean if i live in Canada/US I wouldn't mind stocking lots of wooden sticks, they are only like $12 - 25 each and I won't have to feel cautious every time i'm whacking.

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For the record, I encourage bumping old topics rather than starting new ones. I think there's so much good info that new readers should dig through these old threads!

Quote:

I think if a human being can stand playing in the cold temperatures, the stick will be just fine.

Now if it gets shuttled quickly back and forth between a hot house/car and a rink way below freezing there might be an issue over time. But probably not a big one.

Most broken sticks tend to come from slashes.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2012, 08:34 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

sherwood paul coffee curve is money when inside the crease haha.. flick straight up so sick

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote