HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I doubt we see a rebuild

Old
01-03-2010, 11:23 PM
Sheikyerbouti

vCash: 500
Agreed. I worry we will try and quickly reload just to end up rebuilding in two seasons when Penner and Hemsky won't re-sign and Eberle and MPS are following Gagner's development curve..

By the time the team finishes rebuilding we'd be looking at almost a decade of treading water since the cup run because nobody had the cajones to rebuild.

At least our scouting staff seems to have improved

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
Agreed. I worry we will try and quickly reload just to end up rebuilding in two seasons when Penner and Hemsky won't re-sign and Eberle and MPS are following Gagner's development curve..

By the time the team finishes rebuilding we'd be looking at almost a decade of treading water since the cup run because nobody had the cajones to rebuild.

At least our scouting staff seems to have improved
Zappa = god

unrelated, I think Hall = rebuild. A youth core of Eberle, MPS and Hall coming forward would be really impressive. Actually have some size + skill. Gagner can still be a decent complementary player (2nd line C) and hopefully we can retain some vets over the years that want to do what it takes to win. Most of our D is young and still growing so I don't see any reason to panic on that end.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
The Forechecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Why does the management have to do anything to start a "rebuild"?

Seems to me, whether or not they like it or not, they are in a rebuild now. How is this anything but?

Signing an injury prone goalie basically guarantees it now.

at trying to sign Kovalchuk. I'm sure he'll giggle like a school girl when he realizes it's the Oilers on the other end.

Tampa Bay still have Lecavalier and St. Louis and they've tanked for a couple of seasons, and even continued to add salary (Malone) and still got Hedman. You don't have to sell the farm to rebuild. You just have to have a team with lots of holes up front, porous defense, and questionable goaltending ... and the Oilers already have that in spades.
good post.

The Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:27 AM
Canadian26

Send a message via MSN to Canadian26
Honestly, I think this is the time to start "rebuilding" they've drafted a few good players... I honestly think the oilers have been stuck at this semi par level for a while now.. but theres tons of young talent out there that they can access. I mean, with the way they're playing they might just end up with the first pick in the draft anyways. They've already started with the coaching, might as well rebuild the team.

You've got to appreciate organizations like the wings, who have consistently drafted and developed players well to be in contention most years. I hope the oilers take the time to develop a club that can at least make the playoffs....

Canadian26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:26 AM
hemskysuncle

the real key to all this is bad contracts. 3 things caused this...
1. several oilers were rewarded over-generously for the cup run and haven't returned to "cup run" form since then.

2. they paid people for potential and not performance...hence the gilbert contract that now looks bad, but looked good before everyone lost hope in his potential.

and 3. Logic. Case in point - Horcoff's and Gilbert's contracts. If you do not plan on using a certain player in a certain position, then do not draw up a contract that reflects these expectations. The idea in the org was to have Gagner take over 1st line centre (after a few years)...so why give Horcoff a 1st line centre contract for so long...why not for 2-3 years at which time you expect him to give way? Same with Gilbert...when you have 2 defensemen at 11 million already, why are you paying a #3 or 4 defenseman #1 or 2 defense money?? Did they realize this after wards and then say "man we shouldn't do that anymore...lets change the strategy for Grebs"? because the way they are handling his contracts is the way it should be...prove yourself and get paid. get paid for the responsibility durign the time of the contract. I mean really...if Horcoff got paid this crazy money for 2-3 years would people be crying about it so much? I doubt it. It would make some kind of sense ... still overpaid ...but he has the responsibility and gets paid for it. in 2 years will he even be a 2nd line centre? probably not.

this team is really lemony snicketts...a long series of unfortunate events.

as for a rebuild...if it weren't for those 2 or 3 ridiculous contracts, it would be quite obvious that we already are in a rebuild. A team with much less veterans than young first rounders with high expectations...that sounds like a rebuild to me (if you ignore money).

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote