HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Half Way: Breaking Down The Bottom 5 Teams Seasons

Old
01-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Half Way: Breaking Down The Bottom 5 Teams Seasons

Let me start by saying....knock on wood.

I think we ARE the worst team in the league. The Oilers record is a little inflated. We had that great start to the season where went 6-2-1 but things have gone down hill since then. That hot start makes things look a little better than they actually are.

Current bottom 5 team in the first 9 games of the season
Hurricanes: 2-5-2(0.333)
Oilers: 6-2-1(0.722)
Leafs: 1-7-1(0.166)
Blue Jackets: 6-3-0(0.667)
Ducks: 3-5-1(0.389)

Current bottom 5 teams after the 10th game
Hurricanes: 9-18-5(0.359)
Oilers: 10-20-3(0.384)
Leafs: 13-12-8(0.515)
Blue Jackets: 9-16-9(0.397)
Ducks: 13-13-6(0.500)

I think over the next 40 games we can catch the Canes. Since the start of December we have actually been worse than them...and that's with the 5 game winning streak where we took advantage of a few teams playing in a funk. The major threat is Columbus. They have only won 2 games since the start of December. Overall though, the bottom teams that started off very slow(Leafs and Ducks) seem to be getting things back on track a little. I think the Carolina should start putting some wins together now that Eric Staal seems to have found his game again(8 points in last 4 games).

There is a very good chance we can lock up 30th and guarantee ourselves Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

dont know why

but oiler board + math + hockey IQ of each individual poster / the universe and everything else boggles the mind

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 03:28 PM
GDU

nice analysis... i think when all is said and done it will be a four way battel between us, columbus, canes and maybe the leafs...

i'm starting to think columbus will be our biggest competition and can only hope they get back some injured players and nash/mason starts playing better...

really, with the injuries we have this should be no contest, we are the worst team right now, we just need the players to keep thinking that as well...

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
dont know why

but oiler board + math + hockey IQ of each individual poster / the universe and everything else boggles the mind
I'm missing something. Got an issue?

Old
01-03-2010, 06:59 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

I think we ARE the worst team in the league. The Oilers record is a little inflated. We had that great start to the season where went 6-2-1 but things have gone down hill since then. That hot start makes things look a little better than they actually are.

I think over the next 40 games we can catch the Canes. Since the start of December we have actually been worse than them...and that's with the 5 game winning streak where we took advantage of a few teams playing in a funk. The major threat is Columbus. They have only won 2 games since the start of December. Overall though, the bottom teams that started off very slow(Leafs and Ducks) seem to be getting things back on track a little. I think the Carolina should start putting some wins together now that Eric Staal seems to have found his game again(8 points in last 4 games).

There is a very good chance we can lock up 30th and guarantee ourselves Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin.

Not trying to sound like a d!ck but shouldn't you have just posted this in the Fall 4 Hall thread, good info though.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Lessy

Problem is this team has had a tendency over the last few years of going on some tears when there is zero to limited pressure. I worry that that may happen again this time around. Also, I'm extremely confident we won't have to worry about Carolina finishing in last place. They're a legit team and honestly, I think they have a better chance at making the playoffs than finishing in last place in the NHL.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Rin

Quote:

I'm confused about the bolded part. Which 10th game? All of the games in that section have over 30 games played. 2 have 32 games, 2 have 33, and one has 34. Are you talking about like December 10th?

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:48 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I'm confused about the bolded part. Which 10th game? All of the games in that section have over 30 games played. 2 have 32 games, 2 have 33, and one has 34. Are you talking about like December 10th?
Since the 10th game of the season i believe

Old
01-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
I'm sure you know there is a draft lottery involving the bottom 5 teams. We aren't guaranteed anything except death and taxes, even if we finished 31st out of 30 teams.

Hopefully the lottery balls are kind to us, as we are a franchise that could desperately use that No.1 pick.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Dave

Quote:
i think the section that you bolded is each teams record since those first 9. as for the differential in records, probably due to the fact that each team has played a different number of games in total.

he removed to the first 9 games because hes considering it an anomaly and thinks our games since the first 9 is a better representation of how our team is actually playing. then using this new data set as the data set that he will be able to compare us to the other bottom feeders properly

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Krut

It think we have the inside track at finishing last after looking at the competition. The Oilers could be the only team on that list along with maybe Carolina that might have a fire sale at the deadline. I get the feel that Columbus still wants to win this year, the Leafs don't want to give a lottery pick to Boston, and the Ducks have enough pieces to be able to finish better than us in the season. That pretty much leaves the Oilers and the Hurricanes.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

It's almost a 100% sure thing that the Canes are not staying in that last place spot.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quit sucking better than us.

-Duck fans.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:09 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
I'm sure you know there is a draft lottery involving the bottom 5 teams. We aren't guaranteed anything except death and taxes, even if we finished 31st out of 30 teams.

Hopefully the lottery balls are kind to us, as we are a franchise that could desperately use that No.1 pick.
If we finish 30th, we are guaranteed Seguin or Hall no matter what, we draft 2nd at worst if we finish last in the league

Old
01-03-2010, 09:13 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If we finish 30th, we are guaranteed Seguin or Hall no matter what, we draft 2nd at worst if we finish last in the league
My bad. Apologies to the OP.

Thanks for the clarification! Go Canes Go!

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Naked View Post
Quit sucking better than us.

-Duck fans.
You guys won't get hall man. Too much talent. Get over it.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by led zep View Post
i think the section that you bolded is each teams record since those first 9. as for the differential in records, probably due to the fact that each team has played a different number of games in total.

he removed to the first 9 games because hes considering it an anomaly and thinks our games since the first 9 is a better representation of how our team is actually playing. then using this new data set as the data set that he will be able to compare us to the other bottom feeders properly
Ohhhhh ya, that's it. After the 10th game of the season. Which is why some teams have 32 gp and some have 34. Thanks!

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Ohhhhh ya, that's it. After the 10th game of the season. Which is why some teams have 32 gp and some have 34. Thanks!
Exactly. It's because they all haven't played the same amount of games that I provided their win%.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:36 AM
Shibumi

It doesn't matter.

If the Oilers finish dead last and draft Hall, he will come out and inform the hockey world that he never really wanted to play hockey and will now be focusing on his hairdresser training program.

I wonder which teams in the NHL have never had the first overall pick?

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:43 AM
bleed_oil

Guys I dont think we need to focus on finishing last so much. I mean sure we might as well be down there, but firstly theres not much to separate Hall and Seguin and secondly even if you finish dead last you still have to go in the lottery.... honestly I think losing every single game and being brutal would do more damage than good in terms of confidence issues and the young guys.
Look at guys like Cogs and Gilbert and they dont seem to be enjoying there hockey at all.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:46 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
Guys I dont think we need to focus on finishing last so much. I mean sure we might as well be down there, but firstly theres not much to separate Hall and Seguin and secondly even if you finish dead last you still have to go in the lottery.... honestly I think losing every single game and being brutal would do more damage than good in terms of confidence issues and the young guys.
Look at guys like Cogs and Gilbert and they dont seem to be enjoying there hockey at all.
Losing isnt fun and it becomes a very hard habit to break. That being said if they dont like it then it is within their control to do something about it. All we can do is watch.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:49 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
It doesn't matter.

If the Oilers finish dead last and draft Hall, he will come out and inform the hockey world that he never really wanted to play hockey and will now be focusing on his hairdresser training program.

Does that include pre-expansion 1967?

01-04-2010, 12:49 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
San Jose, Calgary, Nashville, Vancouver, Minnesota Wild, Anaheim, Carolina, Edmonton.

New Jersey, Colorado, Dallas and Phoenix have also never received a 1st overall pick while in their current cities, but have in their organization history (Colorado Rockies, Quebec Nordiques, Minnesota North Stars, and Winnipeg Jets).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...HL_draft_picks

01-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Shibumi

Wow that was quick. Thanks. And yes pre-expansion as well is what I was looking for.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
You can only fall one spot in the lottery so if we finish last we're guaranteed the 2nd overall pick at worst.

However, you do raise some interesting points.