HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would You Support a Rebuild/Dive at Least This Season?

View Poll Results: Would You Support a Rebuild?
Yes I want to see them lose and get a lottery pick 25 16.03%
Yes, lottery pick and shed dead weight 123 78.85%
No I want to see them become buyers 1 0.64%
No I want them to win no matter what 7 4.49%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
Hate him as a GM, but if you watched the glory years, you know that # is going to the rafters shortly after he's no longer GM here.
Ive had this argument before and Im not having it again. You put up Lowe then you have to put up Huddy. In fact, Huddy was ahead of Lowe on the depth chart. So why in the world would you put up Lowe before Huddy? And if you are putting up Lowe and Huddy then you have to stop yourself and ask, wtf am I doing?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
alexo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Ive had this argument before and Im not having it again. You put up Lowe then you have to put up Huddy. In fact, Huddy was ahead of Lowe on the depth chart. So why in the world would you put up Lowe before Huddy? And if you are putting up Lowe and Huddy then you have to stop yourself and ask, wtf am I doing?
Longest serving Oiler, 5 cups, 1st pick, 1st goal, defensive stalwart, played with broken ribs in the playoffs... I can go on. But I'm sure you've heard this all before! Anyways, off to bed, so don't worry about copy/pasting your previous argument.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:44 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo View Post
Longest serving Oiler, 5 cups, 1st pick, 1st goal, defensive stalwart, played with broken ribs in the playoffs... I can go on. But I'm sure you've heard this all before! Anyways, off to bed, so don't worry about copy/pasting your previous argument.
Why would I? What you say is true. I guess we just disagree. Peace.

Old
01-04-2010, 02:36 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Hopefully he will be gone by then and it wont be an issue.
He'd better be gone, because a rebuild is doomed to fail if morons are still running the show.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
After 20 years of watching teams whose fans could care less about hockey get some of the best talent this sport has ever produced, I feel no need to apologize. The fan/media electricity of the Oilers getting the #1 pick alone would outshine everything that's ever come out of SoCal, Florida, and the Deep South combined. Yes, it will be good for hockey. The NHL doesn't just need superstars in places like Atlanta and Phoenix if it wants to thrive, it needs them in places like Edmonton. So yes, NHL, send us our superstar. At least we properly appreciate what we're getting.
I couldn't have said it any better myself.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Lowe will have his number raised. Huddy wont. All things being equal between them, Lowe has all those achievements already listed, plus he won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, and I believe was a 6 time all-star as an Oiler.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:59 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Lowe will have his number raised. Huddy wont. All things being equal between them, Lowe has all those achievements already listed, plus he won the King Clancy Memorial Trophy, and I believe was a 6 time all-star as an Oiler.
Being the first draft pick, scoring the first Oiler goal, winning a trophy for off ice philanthropy, are not reasons for having your jersey retired imo. It would sully the others that have already been raised.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Eytinge

IF the Oilers get Hall, he'll have to wear #14 or something.

#4 is unofficially retired in this organization.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:35 PM
nvan97

Quote:
No. Everyone has one ball. You pick when your ball gets picked. Think of the excitement on draft day. Pick a ball. Pick a player. And so on. There would be no reward for finishing last and it would eliminate any so-called dives.
That's maybe the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. There is a reason EVERY professional sport gives the best picks to the worst teams because it, hopefully, will create balance. Pittsburgh likely wouldn't have a team anymore if they didn't get Crosby, Chicago had dwindling numbers. There are very good reasons to do it that way.

nvan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvan97 View Post
That's maybe the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board. There is a reason EVERY professional sport gives the best picks to the worst teams because it, hopefully, will create balance. Pittsburgh likely wouldn't have a team anymore if they didn't get Crosby, Chicago had dwindling numbers. There are very good reasons to do it that way.
Ive acknowledged that. The post was in a response to someone looking for a way to stop teams from purposely dumping seasons. Which is exactly what the Penguins did, more out of financial necessity than anything else. Ted Leonsis openly talks about tanking for top picks. It is a problem. That certainly doesnt promote competitiveness. It promotes the exact opposite.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 01-04-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
MrOiler

I voted Yes for the pick and to shed dead weight, but reluctantly.

If this is a single season dive, well we're there anyways. But if you're speaking of a multi-year rebuild ... I just can't see it happening.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

I guess he could wear 44 if Souray is dealt

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post

Eberle has #14.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post

If this is a single season dive, well we're there anyways. But if you're speaking of a multi-year rebuild ... I just can't see it happening.
A team doesn't have to do that in today's NHL, but unfortunately it might be the only path for the Oilers if players continually don't want to come here as free agents.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post

If they can get a Hall or Seguin, I sorta gotta wonder between Hall, Magnus, Eberle, Gagner, Cogliano, Brule, and Penner and Hemsky still young enough to rebuild with (along with others like Lander, Omark , etc.) how many more prospects you really need to put together some kind of half way decent lineup.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Dabomb

This is the first season where I've really lost interest in this team so early in the season.

But if there was a season to tank and get a high pick.. this would be it. No Hemsky, No Khabby = no hope. Making the playoffs is a huge long shot.. especially with some teams such as LA, Phoenix, and Colorado all doing much better than expected. Tanking and watching the Oilers lose does suck.. but hey.. We've still got the WJC now and the Olympics in February to look forward to. Then shortly after that, playoff hockey and cheering for another first round choke job by the Flames.. so there is still some hockey to enjoy.

Adding a Hall/Seguin would do wonders for this team in a couple years. The only thing I wish was that Seguin was at WJC so we can compare the two.

Last edited by Dabomb: 01-04-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Dabomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Hemsky had #17 in junior and changed to #83 when he joined the Oilers. Don't you think these junior players respect players that once played for the organization and won't touch it.

01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Being the first draft pick, scoring the first Oiler goal, winning a trophy for off ice philanthropy, are not reasons for having your jersey retired imo. It would sully the others that have already been raised.
Those arent good reason by themselves, but coupled with the fact that he was a 5 time cup winning, 6 time all-star defenseman as an Oiler should get him recognition.

He is probably the best Oiler not named Coffey who played more than one season here.

But this is off topic. Where were you arguing Huddy vs Lowe that you mentioned.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:34 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Those arent good reason by themselves, but coupled with the fact that he was a 5 time cup winning, 6 time all-star defenseman as an Oiler should get him recognition.

He is probably the best Oiler not named Coffey who played more than one season here.

But this is off topic. Where were you arguing Huddy vs Lowe that you mentioned.
I cant recall which thread it was off-hand.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
NoLocus*

Yeah, we could probably have a set first line that could last us 10 years in MPS-Seguin-Eberle.

NoLocus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:45 PM
Cawz

Quote:
I cant recall which thread it was off-hand.
Meh, its probably for the best. I'm wasting too much time on here anyways.

Old
01-05-2010, 01:18 AM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
No. Everyone has one ball. You pick when your ball gets picked. Think of the excitement on draft day. Pick a ball. Pick a player. And so on. There would be no reward for finishing last and it would eliminate any so-called dives.

Again, positives and negatives. Yes, hugely exciting, and part of me drools at the idea of that event.

A lot of the negatives have been mentioned, so I won't repeat those... but also, teams need to know where they're picking ahead of time, to kind of build a strategy. The balls being drawn on draft-day would essentially eliminate all trading, and that's kind of exciting too.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:31 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfhlbuffy View Post
Again, positives and negatives. Yes, hugely exciting, and part of me drools at the idea of that event.

A lot of the negatives have been mentioned, so I won't repeat those... but also, teams need to know where they're picking ahead of time, to kind of build a strategy. The balls being drawn on draft-day would essentially eliminate all trading, and that's kind of exciting too.
I thought about that after and it would be a drawback. I thought each team could have a thirty minute time limit that they could use in the first round in order to make a trade. So when the ball is drawn they then have thirty minutes to entertain any trade offers. They dont have to use the full thirty minutes of course.

This could lead to long delays that would make the event unbearable to watch I suppose. Another way around it would be to show it on a tape delay and cut out the wait times. Draft day would be way more exciting and teams would not be able to sell off good players and tank for good picks.

Old
01-05-2010, 02:42 AM
jfhlbuffy

Quote:
I thought about that after and it would be a drawback. I thought each team could have a thirty minute time limit that they could use in the first round in order to make a trade. So when the ball is drawn they then have thirty minutes to entertain any trade offers. They dont have to use the full thirty minutes of course.

This could lead to long delays that would make the event unbearable to watch I suppose. Another way around it would be to show it on a tape delay and cut out the wait times. Draft day would be way more exciting and teams would not be able to sell off good players and tank for good picks.

Hmm, interesting. So the teams would all know where they're drafting beforehand, but the audience would still have the excitement of each ball being drawn between each pick. Then, of course, teams could trade the picks before hand, and announce it after the balls are drawn.

I like it, but I can't imagine many other people would.

jfhlbuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 04:35 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalicious View Post
I suppose. Yeah. As long as management doesn't mess up!
That's a big if.

I wana Kelly-B out of the system.

I want an AHL team that can teach our prospects to play hockey the way we like to see it played.

Hire some foreign coach who can't speak English to save his life if you have to. Just get it done.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote