HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Mike Richter or Henrik Lundqvist

View Poll Results: Who ya got?
Mike Richter 83 30.97%
Henrik Lundqvist 185 69.03%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-11-2012, 07:07 AM
JayQueensNY88*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
To say "it's not even close" is puzzling.

Lundqvist has zero post-season awards, has yet to win a Game 7 and has yet to get past the 2nd round.

It's very close, which is why we're all discussing it in the first place.
Ok and Richter did it in 93/94,lol,big deal...You act like he did it in year in and out....And I think you forgto the team in front of him in 93 94.Need I remind you?

M.R was always a top goaltender in the sense of being a U.S.A goalie..he was top 5 maybe a few times,but not even close to Brodeur,Roy,Belfour or Hasek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Richter

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:19 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay8899 View Post
Ok and Richter did it in 93/94,lol,big deal...You act like he did it in year in and out....And I think you forgto the team in front of him in 93 94.Need I remind you?

M.R was always a top goaltender in the sense of being a U.S.A goalie..he was top 5 maybe a few times,but not even close to Brodeur,Roy,Belfour or Hasek.

But Richter did it! Hank has not!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:23 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Yes,thats obviousley true... So if Henks overall stats by end of his career are better than Richters but he has no cup( winning a game 7 dont mean ****,a win is a win so lets not use that as a stat cause its not) that makes Richter the better goaltender? I THINK NOT!

As die hard a fan i am,lets be honest RANGERS got quit lucky with that cup..winning 2 game 7's..They didnt exactly blow through the playoffs like it was a walk in the park.Not that the playoffs are,this is hockey,but still.

I think Richter is one of the greatest NYR's of all time.But Lundqvist is exceptional,the guy is amazing.Maybe not as athletic as Richter but who the hell is or ever will be.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:33 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
I love Henrick, he is having an unbelievable year, but can he get by the 2nd round first before we give him the title of Rangers best goalie ever because if this team gets upst in the first round I could think of some other titles people will come up with!
While his numbers in the playoffs havent been the best he also cant score goals for the team either. In the 5 series' that the Rangers have lost since he's been here they have a 1.92 GFA. Kind of hard to win when scoring that little.

Having said that this team seems to be built for playoff hockey and I would hope they show better success in the playoffs this season.

JoeRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:35 AM
bubba5

Hanks stats are better partially to equipment changes, no shoot out wins. Hanks stats are better than Roy, Brodeur, and many others, does that mean he is better than than them, no. All goalkeepers today stats are better than those of 15, 20, 30 years ago.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Hanks stats are better partially to equipment changes, no shoot out wins. Hanks stats are better than Roy, Brodeur, and many others, does that mean he is better than than them, no. All goalkeepers today stats are better than those of 15, 20, 30 years ago.
Don't goalies have something to do with the shootout?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:42 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Giacomin never won a Cup for the Rangers but he's still considered by some as the best Rangers goalie. I honestly never saw him play (his last year for the Rangers was the year I was born) so I cant comment on whether or not hes the best ever.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
Definitely cant compare stats from Richter's days and Lundqvist. Its more of a defensive game now. Not sure if he'll ever catch Roy or Brodeur in wins (even with shootout wins)

Old
02-11-2012, 08:50 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
ok...so if you wanna go into specifics..the game has changed in both era's.

Players are bigger,stronger and faster these days....No more pinning against the boards,no more 2 line passes,goaltender cant play puck in corners,no more hooking,grabbing or holding to an extent,Jerseys fit closer n tighter to the body which dont allow it to get in the way of pucks.All this leads to alot more offensive and scoring opportunities.so possibly goalies these days have to be sharper than they were 15 years ago. I mean i can go on and on......the comparison you are making is bad only cause you so badly want to justify your point.

I understand your point if thats the case then this thread is pointless.But Things are what they are now.Times change and thats what it is.Accpet. Lundqvist is looking to be the better goaltender.

And lets be realitic here! How much bigger is the goalies equiptment now as compared to 94,its very little difference.Thats just an excuse ...

Excuses are everywhere!

Last edited by JayQueensNY88*: 02-11-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old
02-11-2012, 09:00 AM
msv957

Quote:
Agreed.. this is a different Era in hockey. Many goalies now put up incredible stats and better stats compared to Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur who are first ballot Hall of Famers.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:11 AM
DarthSather99

I'll probably get roasted for this but IMO, Mike Richter was a goalie that was able to make the BIG save in the big games. Lundqvist may have more impressive regular season stats at the same age but Richter started his NHL career later and had to battle Vanbiesbrouk for the starters spot early in his career.

In the playoffs, I've seen Lundqvist give up soft goals. Maybe my expectations are higher than others but I expect Lundqvist to raise his game in the playoffs and I have not seen it. He is still a great goaltender but in the playoffs it is a different game. You have to become unbeatable and take your team on your back and carry them

You look at teams that go to the Finals and the goaltenders may not be better statistically (regular season) than Lundqvist but something clicks in them and they refuse to lose.

Richter proved he could take a team on his back and win the Big games in the Stanley Cup playoffs and International play.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

This question can be better answered once Lundqvist retires.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
ok...so if you wanna go into specifics..the game has changed in both era's.

Players are bigger,stronger and faster these days....No more pinning against the boards,no more 2 line passes,goaltender cant play puck in corners,no more hooking,grabbing or holding to an extent,Jerseys fit closer n tighter to the body which dont allow it to get in the way of pucks.All this leads to alot more offensive and scoring opportunities.so possibly goalies these days have to be sharper than they were 15 years ago. I mean i can go on and on......the comparison you are making is bad only cause you so badly want to justify your point.

I understand your point if thats the case then this thread is pointless.But Things are what they are now.Times change and thats what it is.Accpet. Lundqvist is looking to be the better goaltender.

And lets be realitic here! How much bigger is the goalies equiptment now as compared to 94,its very little difference.Thats just an excuse ...

Excuses are everywhere!
I hope you're not saying that its more offensive game now than it was 15-20 years ago. Its pretty obvious that its a more defensive game now. Just look at the goalie stats back than. Some of Roy's Vezina winning stats wouldnt be good enough to start on most teams now. You can actually look at his stats and see when it started becoming a more defensive game. His stats actually got better at the end of his career.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:20 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

For those of you comparing Richter and Lundqvist and basing your poll vote on winning the Stanley Cup, please compare the '93-94 roster to any team that has played in front of Lundqvist and it's not even close who had the better team in front of him.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Richter's big game prowess and, especially, how important he was to the 94 cup run are a bit overblown.

In fact, with all the late goals he gave up, hes lucky he had a great team in front of him that staked him to the lead in the first place.

Winning it all makes some people's memory a bit fuzzy, I suppose.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 09:24 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
I hope you're not saying that its more offensive game now than it was 15-20 years ago. Its pretty obvious that its a more defensive game now. Just look at the goalie stats back than. Some of Roy's Vezina winning stats wouldnt be good enough to start on most teams now. You can actually look at his stats and see when it started becoming a more defensive game. His stats actually got better at the end of his career.
What I am saying is,is that with all these changes its opened up the game alot more,thats a fact.Yes its very defenive.Why do you think all these changes were made for?? faster players and these rules opened up for alot more scoring opportuinies,cause the NHL possibly felt the defensive aspect wasnt allowing for so much scoring opportunites.

Old
02-11-2012, 09:25 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
For those of you comparing Richter and Lundqvist and basing your poll vote on winning the Stanley Cup, please compare the '93-94 roster to any team that has played in front of Lundqvist and it's not even close who had the better team in front of him.
which was one of my points before.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:37 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
ok and richter did it in 93/94,lol,big deal...you act like he did it in year in and out....and i think you forgto the team in front of him in 93 94.need i remind you?

M.r was always a top goaltender in the sense of being a u.s.a goalie..he was top 5 maybe a few times,but not even close to brodeur,roy,belfour or hasek.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/mike_richter

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
The 2012 Rangers are on pace to surpass the 1992 and 1994 Rangers in terms of points.

Old
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:

Neither is Henrik

Old
02-11-2012, 10:43 AM
Tawnos

Quote:
The 2012 Rangers are on pace to surpass the 1992 and 1994 Rangers in terms of points.
I hope you aren't seriously comparing this team to the 94 team, which had 6 Hall of Fame caliber players on it.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:52 AM
JoeRangers

Quote:
If you take shootouts out of it they're really only on pace to beat the 92 team. But I think thats part of the point. This is really the first year that Lundqvist has a solid team in front of him. This is the year the Rangers (and Lundqvist) need to do something in the playoffs. Not saying they have to win it all this year (obviously I would love that and would be disappointed if they didnt), but they need to atleast make it to the conference finals or better. This team is young and should have a few good years playing together to get a Cup/Cups.

Old
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRangers View Post
This is really the first year that Lundqvist has a solid team in front of him. This is the year the Rangers (and Lundqvist) need to do something in the playoffs.
Not sure I agree.. Hank has had some quality teams the past 5-6 years where he could have pulled a Halak in the playoffs and carried some Ranger teams deep in the playoffs. Last year's Ranger team had top 5 best goal differential in the NHL, had top 5 lowest GAA in the NHL and had a top 15 in Goals scored. That was a good enough team to make some serious noise in the playoffs last year.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:04 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Not sure I agree.. Hank has had some quality teams the past 5-6 years where he could have pulled a Halak in the playoffs and carried some Ranger teams deep in the playoffs. Last year's Ranger team had top 5 best goal differential in the NHL, had top 5 lowest GAA in the NHL and had a top 15 in Goals scored. That was a good enough team to make some serious noise in the playoffs last year.
Cally going down was really bad.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Tawnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I disagree. That team was pretty shallow. There were only two effective lines, and that effectiveness was mitigated by Callahan's injury in the last week of the season. They also only had 2 legitimate defensive pairs, and that was when we were healthy. They were a vast improvement over the year before, but not a team built for the playoffs.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote