HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"That's a first-line player"- Ray Bourque on MSP

Old
01-03-2010, 10:28 PM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
"That's a first-line player"- Ray Bourque on MSP

Probably belongs in the WJC thread, but Ray Bourque was asked by Pierre McGuire about what he of Magnus. Ray apparently said what's in the thread title.

McGuire also threw a fit when MPS was not utilized during that key powerplay.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Ghostbuster

Steal of the draft. I really though we would have 0 chance of taking him.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Hard to believe the Laffs would take Kadri and the Sens would take Cowen and they both pass on him. Fools.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

I agree, Jared Cowen is looking like an absolutely brutal pick and Scott Glennie...WTF was up with that?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

The Mighty Oil better start looking for a left handed shooting sniper that can play well with go Magnus. Is there anyone one this team now that sounds like that?

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hard to believe the Laffs would take Kadri and the Sens would take Cowen and they both pass on him. Fools.
When I saw that shake down, I literally starting doing a jig. I couldn't believe how it was all breaking down.

Old
01-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I just don't see it.

The guy looks amazing off the rush but he just doesn't do much down low. He can't create any offense off the cycle and isn't that good on the PP.

He has great tools (skating, size, shooting, passing) so there is a chance that he becomes a 1st line forward but I just didn't see it in this tournament.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:37 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I won't disagree but I will say Kadri looks better than I expected.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Ghostbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I just don't see it.

The guy looks amazing off the rush but he just doesn't do much down low. He can't create any offense off the cycle and isn't that good on the PP.

He has great tools (skating, size, shooting, passing) so there is a chance that he becomes a 1st line forward but I just didn't see it in this tournament.
The play always seemed to die once he got it off to his linemates. Put him with Hall and Penner, and magic will happen.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:40 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
The play always seemed to die once he got it off to his linemates. Put him with Hall and Penner, and magic will happen.

One better put him with Eberle and Hall

MPS-Hall-Eberle

Our top 6
MPS-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Ya good point. It's really hard to judge players on teams that aren't Canada because they just don't have the systems or talent around them.

It's a different type of game than the NHL. MPS certainly has the frame to be good on the cycle. Will have to wait until he is in NA to get a better read on him.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:46 PM
surshot*

LOL at mcguire, was he not the guy that said the Oilers and fans need to be patient with him at the draft and now he thinks he is a first line player in the NHL right now. The guy is a walking contradiction.

Not that I disagree with him as Paajarvi does look big fast and skilled and probably could be in the Oiler line up. Another thought anybody thinks it possible for the Oilers to buy his contract out and finish the season in Edmonton? Just dreaming but atleast the fans can get an early look and its not like he would make us much better right now and we could still get a pick.

Like to mention he took a faceoff today and won it cleanly and I started thinking how great it would be to have a Hall-Paajarvi-Eberle line if he can be decent on the draw. We really need to get this kid over so he can transition from the european game to our game.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:48 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Ya good point. It's really hard to judge players on teams that aren't Canada because they just don't have the systems or talent around them.

It's a different type of game than the NHL. MPS certainly has the frame to be good on the cycle. Will have to wait until he is in NA to get a better read on him.
I think the relationship between MPS and Quinn can be one that thrives, because MPS plays a more simplistic game, one that is low risk but still has good reward to it. Its not a Hemsky/Nilsson/Gagner type game, high risk/high reward, MPS tries to conscientiously keep the puck moving forward.

Old
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
LOL at mcguire, was he not the guy that said the Oilers and fans need to be patient with him at the draft and now he thinks he is a first line player in the NHL right now. The guy is a walking contradiction.

Not that I disagree with him as Paajarvi does look big fast and skilled and probably could be in the Oiler line up. Another thought anybody thinks it possible for the Oilers to buy his contract out and finish the season in Edmonton? Just dreaming but atleast the fans can get an early look and its not like he would make us much better right now and we could still get a pick.

Like to mention he took a faceoff today and won it cleanly and I started thinking how great it would be to have a Hall-Paajarvi-Eberle line if he can be decent on the draw. We really need to get this kid over so he can transition from the european game to our game.
Nah, no need to waste a year of his entry level right now. Clear out the riff raff and hopefully he'll be free to come over next year, with hopefully, a bunch of new faces.

Old
01-03-2010, 10:50 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post

MPS-Hall-Eberle

Our top 6
MPS-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky

I don't see Hall, Eberle, or Paajarvi-Svensson as a centre. Watching our guys in this tournament has been a treat. Lander and Hartikainen have been impressive too.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
I just don't see it.

You have to remember, though, that this is very much a tournament for players in their second years after the Draft. The scoring leaders are primarily 19-year-olds year with the odd super talent (Tavares) thrown in.

It's the same this year:

1. Derek Stepan- 11 points (1990)
2. Jordan Eberle- 10 points (1990)
3. Paajarvi-Svensson- 9 points (1991)
4. Alex Pietrangelo- 9 points (1990)

MPS has been the same type of player all year in Sweden. It's frankly that scary that on raw talent alone he has been able to get 20 points in a men's league. Imagine how he'll look at 20 years old in a structured system with an extra ten pounds on him and two years of experience. I think that's more what Bourque was referring to.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I won't disagree but I will say Kadri looks better than I expected.
You must have expected very little from him then.

I could look good playing on Canada's 1st line.

He gives the puck away all the time.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Hey guys. I really like repeating myself, and I know there isn't like an internet where you can find these things, but Hall plays left-wing. If we draft him he isn't play ing center, he is playing the same position as Penner and Paajarvi.

Also, Schenn looks like a far worse pick than Kadri or Cowen at this point.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
razman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post

What is McGuire contradicting? It was Bourque who made the 1st line comment and it was refering to his future in the NHL, not now.

razman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:59 PM
battlegoon

Quote:

MPS-Hall-Eberle

Our top 6
MPS-Hall-Eberle
Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
Pass theres no centerman on the top line

MPS - Gagner - Eberle
Hall - Brule - Hemsky

maybe put Penner on the third line, could be a scoring line with

Omark - Lander - Penner or something like that

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:01 PM
surshot*

Quote:
Originally Posted by booyah83 View Post
Nah, no need to waste a year of his entry level right now. Clear out the riff raff and hopefully he'll be free to come over next year, with hopefully, a bunch of new faces.
yeah your right but we sure need a guy with his size in the top six. Would really like to now if he could play centre as it would be huge if he could. He has got the size and speed for it. Just imagine for a moment.

Hall-Paajarvi-Eberle

Paajarvi might be the better skater as i noticed Hall tends to lose his footing and is more reckless when he plays. plus Paajarvi is probably the best playmaker out of the other two. We need to finish last and get that pick to get Hall.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
Hey guys. I really like repeating myself, and I know there isn't like an internet where you can find these things, but Hall plays left-wing. If we draft him he isn't play ing center, he is playing the same position as Penner and Paajarvi.

Also, Schenn looks like a far worse pick than Kadri or Cowen at this point.

Taylor Hall can play both Left wing and Center.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:02 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by razman22 View Post
What is McGuire contradicting? It was Bourque who made the 1st line comment and it was refering to his future in the NHL, not now.
"MPS is an ELITE first line player in the NHL right now! And he's playing in this tournament instead of on the Edmonton Oilers! He would be their best player!"

- Pierre Magurie.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:04 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

Can Hemsky make the transition to Center?

Hall/MPS - Hemsky - Eberle

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 11:05 PM
JBell84

Quote:

MPS-Hall-Eberle

Our top 6
MPS-Hall-Eberle