HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

"That's a first-line player"- Ray Bourque on MSP

Old
01-04-2010, 12:19 AM
oil country 83

vCash: 500
He is too good not to be with the oil next year we need his size and speed even if he does not put up the numbers. I think that mps-horcoff-eberle are the 2nd line next year.

oil country 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:19 AM
alexo

Horcoff would probably be fine on a line with MPS and Hemsky. But if not there, I'd say with Penner/Eberle.

I was once a big supporter of Horcoff, but if he can be moved somehow, of course that's the ultimate scenario. But where he fits in in the line-up depends on how he decides to play.

Here's a crazy idea, maybe they throw Horpensky back together and go with another attempt at a kid line with MPS Gagner Eberle, feeding them the easier minutes. Or maybe MPS Brule Eberle would be better.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:41 AM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Brule Gagner Penner
Eberle Seguin Hemsky
MPS Horcoff Vandevelde
Jacques Cogliano Stortini

Thats one hell of a dynamic lineup. Trying to sort out PP time and who would PK would be awfully tough. Its time for the Todd Marchant transformation on Cogliano. Let him PK and take as many faceoffs as he can until the end of the year.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:51 AM
BOUNCE

Don't put eberle/hall or seguin/paajarvi anywhere near horcoff.

Paajarvi-Seguin-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Eberle

sick top 6.

BOUNCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:53 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
I agree but where do you put him assuming he's still on the roster next year?
On waivers.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:03 AM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
On waivers.
That's what I would do but is Katz going to shell out 5.5 million for Horcoff to play in the minors? Management wouldn't even give Omark the AHL max.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:53 AM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Skating View Post
That's what I would do but is Katz going to shell out 5.5 million for Horcoff to play in the minors? Management wouldn't even give Omark the AHL max.
Oh, I thought you were asking what I would do

If Katz starts to use that big business brain of his, he'll realize that it's time to make some actual business decisions about this little failed investment.

The more this team flirts with 30th overall, the more leeway he's going to get when it comes to making some serious changes.

Once again, that's what the eternally optimistic side of my brain keeps telling me.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:17 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

The optimistic side of my brain plays NHL '10 and trades Reddox, Potulny and Stone for Toews.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Dark Knight
#WeTheNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Hard to believe the Laffs would take Kadri and the Sens would take Cowen and they both pass on him. Fools.
We love Kadri here. He brings another dimension, including offense. His toughness and grit will make him very attractive when he reaches his potential.

Paajarvi is a good prospect and I hope he pans out, but calling him better than Kadri, Glennie already is premature.

01-04-2010, 03:13 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post
We love Kadri here. He brings another dimension, including offense. His toughness and grit will make him very attractive when he reaches his potential.

Paajarvi is a good prospect and I hope he pans out, but calling him better than Kadri, Glennie already is premature.
Kadri is playing tough against European midgets, and his offensive game has been nothing to call home about thus far during the tournament. The guy is a marginal talent playing on Team Canada, while MPS is an 18 year old dominating a 19 year old tournament. There's a huge difference here.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:03 AM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Kadri is playing tough against European midgets, and his offensive game has been nothing to call home about thus far during the tournament. The guy is a marginal talent playing on Team Canada, while MPS is an 18 year old dominating a 19 year old tournament. There's a huge difference here.
Let's not play too much favourite here...I agree with your assessment on MPS...he is dominating and making a real name for himself...but do you really think "marginal talent" is the best way to describe Kadri? I mean at least he is 6 points ahead of the Calgary 1st rounder

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:45 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Kadri looked like Horcoff tonight, wiffing on point blank shots on two or three separate occasions. But I do like the edge he brings in this tournament, if he could bring that with him to the NHL is another story though.

It would be interesting to see if the draft was tomorrow, where MPS would go, I should visit the prospect board and see what the buzz is on him.

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:15 AM
JBell84

Kadri draws more than Bob Ross (penalties though, not lush landscapes)

Other than that, he's pretty unremarkable. If he can bulk up a bit I wager he'll be a great 3rd liner - not a bad thing, someone that can generate PPs is a huge asset, but taking him before MPS was a huge mistake I think. I thought it during the draft and my opinion has grown stronger through this tourney.

MPS is starting to generate a little too much hype, unfortunately. I think it's going to be another series of up and comers that we bet the farm on and come out the other side wishing for something else ala gags/cogs/nilsson. I just hope he has the will to elevate when the time comes. We know Eberle does, but he just doesn't have the genetics to be a top shelf talent at the NHL level (really hope I'm wrong)

Last edited by JBell84: 01-04-2010 at 05:25 AM.
JBell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:48 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post

At the moment he is better. By a lot. I dont see that changing either. Kadri looks like he could be a more skilled version of Darcy Tucker. We will see how tough he really is against men instead of boys though. His toughness might wain in the nhl.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Hemsky4PM

Eberle had his worst game (even though he scored) of the tournament. Looked fairly selfish in the 3rd trying to score his goal to tie the record and didn't get anything accomplished.

I think Eberle is definitely best served playing on the farm next season, at least to star. Their are some glaring differences between he and MPS. MPS is bigger and faster and has been playing against men in the SEL for a while.

I do agree with McGuire that MPS is an NHL player. Eberle will need some time. My lines next season. I also don't think Hall would be automatic as an NHLer next season, he does have more size than Eberle but still needs work:

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
MPS-Brule-Nilsson/O'Sullivan/Cogliano (whichever is actually here)

Now we need some solid (cheap) grinders to round out the forwards. Reconstructing the third line should be the top priority this summer. Horcoff can be the center on that line, but we need two strong wingers.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Oilers1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
At the moment he is better. By a lot. I dont see that changing either. Kadri looks like he could be a more skilled version of Darcy Tucker. We will see how tough he really is against men instead of boys though. His toughness might wain in the nhl.
People were tripping over themselves to say that Jordin Tootoo would get killed in the NHL if he tried playing the way he did in the WJC's. Its worked out pretty well for Tootoo, and he doesn't have a fifth of Kadri's talent. That line of thinking is overrated. Kadri is playing against his peer group; its not like he's beating up on 15 year-olds.

I still like Kadri, and I am as big a Leafs-hater as you will find. There are definately holes in his game but that's true for 99.8% of 18 year-olds. He's fast, has some skill, and has a lot of sandpaper.

If anyone should be worried its Sens fans about Cowen. Yeah, you can make all kinds of excuses about his knee and everything. . . but to be stapled to the bench as a returning player who was expected to be a top four guy??? Some of the justifications the Sens board is making remind me of what was being said on the Edmonton boards when Bustamaki got the same treatment at the WJCs a number of years ago.

As for MPS. . .I am cautiously optimistic. I like what he brings but I see a bit of Jani Rita in him; high-end skill, high-end speed, high-end size but lacks high-end finish. . .

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:56 AM
nafrelio

Just watched the game this morning - I've been watching him this tournament and I'm not sold on him. He seems to be a bit of a floater - didn't show me the drive to go with his talent. Someone like Tedenby has the passion for the game. MPS, I worry, has been lacking tenacity in winning puck battles. Can anyone who has seen him regularly speak to this?

nafrelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
As for MPS. . .I am cautiously optimistic. I like what he brings but I see a bit of Jani Rita in him; high-end skill, high-end speed, high-end size but lacks high-end finish. . .
To me, thus far this tournament MPS is reminding me of a stronger, faster version of Radek Dvorak in that he does a lot of things well and looks like a million bucks when he's carrying the puck up the ice, but when it comes to putting it in the net he gets his share of goals, but I'm still waiting to see that high end skill the truly elite prospects exhibit. I do think he's got the talent when it comes to passing off the wing though, I can see him as a 20-40-60 power winger at the NHL level that could break 70 points given the right linemates and opportunity...not a superstar like some might overrate him as, but still what I'd consider a '1st line winger' in today's NHL.

Certainly nothing to be ashamed of.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:09 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
People were tripping over themselves to say that Jordin Tootoo would get killed in the NHL if he tried playing the way he did in the WJC's. Its worked out pretty well for Tootoo, and he doesn't have a fifth of Kadri's talent. That line of thinking is overrated. Kadri is playing against his peer group; its not like he's beating up on 15 year-olds.

I still like Kadri, and I am as big a Leafs-hater as you will find. There are definately holes in his game but that's true for 99.8% of 18 year-olds. He's fast, has some skill, and has a lot of sandpaper.

If anyone should be worried its Sens fans about Cowen. Yeah, you can make all kinds of excuses about his knee and everything. . . but to be stapled to the bench as a returning player who was expected to be a top four guy??? Some of the justifications the Sens board is making remind me of what was being said on the Edmonton boards when Bustamaki got the same treatment at the WJCs a number of years ago.

Rita was ruined by incompetent boobs.

Old
01-04-2010, 09:24 AM
bleed_oil

I think Kadri's been ok. He wins faceoffs, decent offensively and plays with a nice edge. The people who drafted ahead of us who should be worried are Ottawa and Dallas. Glennie got cut and Cowan looks terrible. Another guy not getting much mention here is Schenn who has'nt impressed all that much either. At least Kadri wins faceoffs and hits, I wouldnt even know Schenn was in the tourny if he didnt play with Eberle.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I hate doing line-ups, but lets say two to three years down the road;

Hall - Gagner - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Lander - Omark / Eberle
Penner - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Jaques - Nash - Stortini

This is assuming Penner comes down to earth, Lander and Hartikainen prove NHL reliable, and one of Eberle or Omark pans out.

And we draft Hall.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
CamTheMan

Do the Oilers still have the rights to Fredrik Pettersson??

He was drafted in 2005 in the 5th by the Oilers and is putting up some great numbers playing for Frolunda? He is a LW....Anyone know if he is still property of the Oil?

CamTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:44 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
"MPS is an ELITE first line player in the NHL right now! And he's playing in this tournament instead of on the Edmonton Oilers! He would be their best player!"

- Pierre Magurie.
to call pierre a fool would be an insult to fools around the world

the guy is a walking hyperbole machine

he is also a walking contradiction, as others have pointed out.... he'll say things like "this kid is gonna need a lot of time to develop" at the draft, but then every year (year after year) he'll hype these same freaking kids at the WJCH.... its not just MPS and gagner hes done this with, he does it every year, and has been doing it as long as i can remember.... when watching TSN you have to have a "pierre filter", and essentially ignore anything this idiot says

Last edited by jadeddog: 01-04-2010 at 09:54 AM.
jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
to call pierre a fool would be a diservice to fools around the world

the guy is a walking hyperbole machine
I agree completely. I really like both Eberle and Hall, but Pierre is an idiot.
Anyone notice how he usually gushes on and on about Ellis, but was cought flat footed after Ellis repeatedly turned the puck over against the US

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
I agree completely. I really like both Eberle and Hall, but Pierre is an idiot.
Anyone notice how he usually gushes on and on about Ellis, but was cought flat footed after Ellis repeatedly turned the puck over against the US
I dont know. I think its showmanship. He is trying to create excitement to sell the product. I dont see anything wrong with it. Just take it with a grain of salt. I dont like his style. I find him overbearing and hard to take. But thats just me.