HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

January 23, 2010 Parent injury update: surgery, out six weeks (post #65)

Old
01-23-2010, 09:44 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
At this point I'd be willing to let Lehtivuori, Bourdon, or Marshall get a shot.

Tollefsen has been one dangerous situation after another.

I feel bad for the kid battling those injuries, but this playoff team has no place for him.
I'd be okay with giving any of those guys a shot.

How have they been performing? Forgive me, I don't get to follow the Phantoms as much as I'd like to.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:56 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

How have they been performing? Forgive me, I don't get to follow the Phantoms as much as I'd like to.
So-so. It's hard to win games when your team cannot score goals.

With Maroon's injury, coupled with slumps by Ross and Laliberte, Nodl's slowly progressing offense, Kalinski's offensive deficiencies, and a troublesome scrapper to scorer ratio, the Phantoms are really left with Matsumoto and Legein for offensive support. There's a few others in there, but you can see where the problem lies.

The defense is just barely holding together, though Lehtivuori has been the most consistent of the three I'd say.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
ilovetheflyers8

I'd kind of just rather go with Syvret-Bartulis than do a trade because I really don't want to lose anyone on this team. However, I wouldn't mind parting with Coburn, OKT (it would be a dick move to trade him though), and Pyorala (who I like but, really it would be much better for him if he got to go somewhere where he could play- though the depth he offers is definitely nice).

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:18 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
This medical staff is downright awful. 5 weeks to diagnose the injury.

They are incompetant
That's what I've been saying and people have been jumping down my throat. Honestly, the medical staff should be fired.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:02 AM
mja
Negative Creep

A Couple Things

1) The Flyers medical staff aren't just some hacks that only work for the Flyers. They're the top orthopedic doctors in the area and are based at HUP I believe. I don't think people understand this. I think they think that it is just some quack the Flyers picked out of the yellow pages. The doctor that got killed over Lindros has his name on the side of the oldest and most historic hospital in the country and it takes forever to get an appointment because he's so in demand.

2) As someone who suffers from essentially the same injury Parent does, it isn't that simple as all of that. First of all, the disc fragment may well not have been there until recently. The disc pushes out from between the vertebrae, causes swelling, which pinches the nerve. Sometimes a fragment breaks off afterwards. The first treatment is physical therapy and anti-inflammatories. If that doesn't work - and there's no way to tell if it will work or not until you try it - then you can try a cortizone shot. If none of that works, then you become a candidate for surgery.

I currently have a disc fragmentation and I am NOT a candidate for surgery. That's because I didn't have to be rushed back onto the ice and could do a PT program for 3 plus months without it affecting my ability to engage in my livelihood. I had intermittent pain and stiffness from September and October which then became unbearable pain in November which then became minimal pain but numbness in my left foot which then became minimal pain and minimal numbness today. I'm still doing PT and it may take a year to a year and a half to resolve itself completely. Eventually, the disc fragment will dissolve. Parent doesn't have that kind of time.

Parent probably wouldn't be getting the surgery right now if he wasn't a professional athlete that needed to be back on the ice as soon as possible.

3) Before we go off half-cocked, let's please try to know what it is we are talking about.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 08:35 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post

I have not seen them play this year but from people i have talked to and whagt i have read is they are nowhere near ready for the nhl. Bill Meltzer had a good liitle blurp about the 3. In a nutshell from what i remember i belive he said something like Jonas is soft and being manhandled by guys in the ahl, bourdon skating is not good, and marshall was up and down

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote