HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal

Old
01-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Marc Staal

Marc Staal goes rfa this summer. Should we try to trade for him or offer sheet him this summer? I know its Sather but hey, we need a guy like this. The Rangers are up against the cap and are vulnerable. What do you think?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
40oz

vCash: 500
Trade, not offer sheet.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:48 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Trade, not offer sheet.
That would be preferable but the Rangers are not going to want to move him.

Old
01-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Trade, not offer sheet.
This. You don't trade a top-3 pick for Marc Staal. He's great, don't get me wrong, but not top-3 pick good.

Also, NYR will apparently send down Redden and some other Jobbers. That should open up quite a bit of cap space.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:53 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
This. You don't trade a top-3 pick for Marc Staal. He's great, don't get me wrong, but not top-3 pick good.

Also, NYR will apparently send down Redden and some other Jobbers. That should open up quite a bit of cap space.
They would be getting next year's picks. No?

Old
01-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Yup, and I still think we'll be picking in the top-3 next year too.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:56 AM
stoff

Quote:
Yes but if we plan on going with some of the young kids next year eg. eberle, omark, chorney, paajarvi, and are unable to move some of our useless players then it may be a top 3 pick again next year.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 11:59 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Yes but if we plan on going with some of the young kids next year eg. eberle, omark, chorney, paajarvi, and are unable to move some of our useless players then it may be a top 3 pick again next year.
If its good enough for Burke.................... I doubt we hit top three again next year. If we are relatively healthy and we bring in Hall, Eberle, MPS and get rid of Moreau, Pisani, Comrie, O'Sullivan we will be quite a bit better. A lot better. Oh, and Staal of course, to replace Grebeshkov.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:02 PM
alexo

I don't think we should shoot ourselves in the foot with another offersheet. Especially to a GM who is a viable trading partner. Maybe if the Rangers can Sather.

But seriously, even then I don't think we should. However, that said, I wouldn't mind trading for him, if that were possible.

alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:08 PM
stoff

Quote:
If its good enough for Burke.................... I doubt we hit top three again next year. If we are relatively healthy and we bring in Hall, Eberle, MPS and get rid of Moreau, Pisani, Comrie, O'Sullivan we will be quite a bit better. A lot better. Oh, and Staal of course, to replace Grebeshkov.
If indeed we could achieve all that than sure we won't be a top 3 pick but the odds that oilers management achieves in 2 of those things are slim to none.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:18 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
If indeed we could achieve all that than sure we won't be a top 3 pick but the odds that oilers management achieves in 2 of those things are slim to none.
Well, as far as the out box goes, Pisani and Comrie are ufa. So that is pretty hard to mess up. Staios and Moreau have one more year left, I would hope they could be moved at the deadline. Maybe an O'Sullivan or Nilsson could be moved at the deadline? Other wise you would have to put either Souray or Visnovsky on the block as a dump to a cap friendly contender or as a package for Stall.

It is doable. Even fric and frac can pull it off.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:20 PM
OmegaTheory

Lets just draft Larsson insted, we'll likely have a very good shot at it.

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaTheory View Post
Lets just draft Larsson insted, we'll very likely have a good shot at it.
I doubt it. Would love it if we did.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
I doubt it. Would love it if we did.
I suppose but, given this team I wouldn’t be all that surprised to be bottom 5 next year. Actually I'd almost hope for it, the oilers needs to get a cuple top 5 picks.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:28 PM
JustinCider

I wouldn't to pay Staal enough that the Rangers would choose not to match. They would match anything around 3 IMO, so we'd have to go to 4 and that's too much for Staal at this point.

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:29 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
I suppose but, given this team I wouldn’t be all that surprised to be bottom 5 next year.
me either. in fact, I would almost count on it.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Yeah, and in the long run it would probably be better for the team anyway.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
You think with a healthy Hemsky, Horcoff and Khabibulin (assuming he can even get healthy) and adding Eberle, Hall and MPS we will be a lottery pick next year? I wouldnt count on it. But, that being said, I am not a fan of offer sheets, but I like the player. And the team is up against the wall, and the player is exactly the type we need here.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:38 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
Yeah, and in the long run it would probably be better for the team anyway.
I agree, 2 really bad seasons, back to back, 2 top 3 picks, and then the healing can begin. it doesn't mean playoffs right away, but some improvement every year, after next year.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Well if it is true that Sather might put Redden in the minors trade them Souray/Lubo and Cogs for Staal, Dubinsky, Prospect?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:45 PM
koeltrain

I would imagine a deal would look something like this:

Visnovsky, Chorney, 3rd in 2010 (~65 OV)

FOR

Rozival, Staal, 4th in 2010 (~105 OV)

Moving up ~ 40 spots in the draft is worthwhile, trading Rozival is worthwhile for the cap space, while trading Staal is not likely at least they get two goods for one bad. Chorney can become their 6th or 7th defencemen and Visnovsky would be their #1 and a good mentor for Del Zotto.

I am sure we would all like to see more coming in for Visnovsky as he is our best player, but the truth is his contract is big and that will limit his value. You can rest assured that we take on a bad contract in the mix, but Staal is young and has good shutdown potential.

Then trade Moreau and Staios for picks.

Next years Oilers:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Cogliano-Gagner-Nilsson (if he can keep up his play)
JFJ - Brule - O'Sullivan
Pouliot - Potulny - Stortini

Souray-Gilbert
Staal-Smid
Grebeshkov-Rozival

Khabby
JDD

This team isn't great, but I am not slotting Ebrele or MPS into the lineup because I don't think they are ready. Some of the above players are RFA and I would only consider very short term contracts - if the player doesn't want it put an UFA in his place. I'm talking guys with low interest from other teams (ie. Blair Betts).

The Oilers should focus on getting a respectable AHL franchise together and bring in the top players from there at 23-24 years of age so that they are truly ready to play when brought into the NHL. Some players would obviously make the team around 20 or so if they are of good draft pedigree. The above team would likely be bottom 10 in the league again... but the year after they can consider bringing in Ebrele and MPS.

Last edited by koeltrain: 01-04-2010 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added Rozival because I forgot him
koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:46 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
You think with a healthy Hemsky, Horcoff and Khabibulin (assuming he can even get healthy) and adding Eberle, Hall and MPS we will be a lottery pick next year? I wouldnt count on it. But, that being said, I am not a fan of offer sheets, but I like the player. And the team is up against the wall, and the player is exactly the type we need here.
Yes but that's assuming that Hemsky starts off in anyway close to typical form, remeber Lacavalier after his shoulder? He could end up spending half or more, heck even the whole season with his timing off. Also I think it's a stretch to think that both Eberle and MPS play here next year or even if either of them play for the Oilers. Then there's Khabibulin staying near healthly, Souray not digressing more then he is this year after that hit... It goes on and on.

Old
01-04-2010, 12:48 PM
koeltrain

Quote:
One: it's not like we have Hall all sealed up... not sure why everyone is assuming we do.

Two: IMO Ebrele and MPS would be better off in the AHL and SEL respectively. No need to bring them into a complete disaster team.

koeltrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:49 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

I don't think the Rangers would be willing to trade him and I don't think the Oilers are in a position to put our draft picks in peril, especially the 1st round pick.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:51 PM
JustinCider

Quote:
injuries happen, i wouldn't count on a totally healthy team next year either. I'm assuming that at least one of Vish or Souray is gone, and maybe Grebs as well. Hall isn't an Oiler yet, first we have to finish in the bottom and then we have to win the lottery, nothing is set in stone yet. I also wouldn't play Hall in the NHL if we got him, I wish he could go to the AHL, but he can't, so I'd give him 9 NHL games, then juniors, world juniors, and hopefully a mem cup. He needs to mature physically IMO before he plays in the NHL. I think MPS will play one more year in SEL and another world juniors. Eberle, I do see playing, we'll see how good he is. Khabi is never healthy, he has a bad back and sweating problem, he's never been a work horse. At his age, at best, we can hope for around 50 games, and to me, that's pushing it. The body breaks down with age, he's not getting any younger. Horcoff needs surgery again IMO, his play has dropped off so much it's crazy, I hope he gets it, and is back to his old self in a year and half from now. When this team was healthy, they were a bubble team at best, with a few deletions and inevitable injuries, this team could easily be back in the bottom 3. This is a strong league, not a whole lot of bottom feeders anymore, the worst team right now, has a better roster than the Oil IMO. The Leafs are getting better (full year of Kessel, Schenn, Kadri, the Monster), the Isles are getting better (Tavares a year older), there are not a whole lot of teams in a free fall right now, you don't need to finish with 26 points to be last anymore. A team that finishes with 60 points, can be in the bottom 3, that's where I see the Oil over the next couple seasons.