HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe on Oilers Lunch Today

Old
01-04-2010, 04:22 PM
MrOiler

vCash: 500
Action speaks louder than words.

There simply isn't much to say until something happens or doesn't happen. Interviews can be a smokescreen.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:23 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
That's kinda funny actually. They're not even trying to hide the obvious.
You'd think they'd have to be excited at the prospect of playing together with MPS and Gagner on the same team. If the Oilers could get Hall, get the Buffalo out of Chicago, and make some other minor tweaks, this team could be pretty solid going forward. Having Penner, Buf, and Jacques as wingers on your first three lines isn't all that bad. Toss a tough guy on the fourth with Zack and that's a pretty good looking team.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:37 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusher View Post
But if the Oilers do end up tanking, on purpose or not, this season, they aren't going to be an automatic Cup or even Playoff contender next season.

It won't happen that quick.

It will take at least 2 years before a noticeable difference by drafting someone like Hall, IMO.

Giving Tambellini only 1 more year wouldn't prove his worth or prove his unworthiness.
The problem with management is identifying direction. Sure, rebuilds can fail but regardless, you know you are heading towards a rebuild. Right now, the Oilers are f'd because they have no clue what they want to do and where they are heading. If they are tanking, Tambo gets an extra year to tinker around IMO. If he makes a move or does something, even minor [like waiving a useless body] but towards the right direction, he's earning his paycheck. If he's gonna tank but just sit idle again, he doesn't deserve to be GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
That's kinda funny actually. They're not even trying to hide the obvious.
When Duthie asked Tambo yesterday about his view on the top picks [Hall, Fowler, Seguin], he said he's not commenting. He's biased so he's not going to say anything about the top picks.

Looks like he knows where the team is heading

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:43 PM
40oz

Tencer's Twitter: Tamby his current mindset going into trades: "I'm not going to sacrifice the future of this hockey club for a good month of performance."

40oz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Tencer's Twitter: Tamby his current mindset going into trades: "I'm not going to sacrifice the future of this hockey club for a good month of performance."
I wonder what his mindset on the future is...

I hope the future doesn't involve Moreau, Staois, Horcoff...

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Tencer's Twitter: Tamby his current mindset going into trades: "I'm not going to do anything. Kevin tells me what to do. Im just a beard. Dont you guys know anything?"

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:52 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
So it's the fans fault again eh...

Among the league's highest ticket prices.

Among the league's oldest/ugliest/most uncomfortable arenas.

Among the league's worst and least exciting teams.

Someone should link KLOWE to the ticket exchange threads over the last few seasons, so he can see what this seasons demand is like in comparison. I can't even give tickets away this year. I'm sure it will eventually come out that the organization has been eating the extra tickets like Minnesota was, and that the sell-out streak was just a farce.
Well what did you expect? This isn't just any old hockey team, they're *** **** Edmonton Oilers! They have a rich heritage and tradition, and they ar…were really good a little while ago…well 10 years ago…no I mean 15...Err 20 yeah that’s it. They used to be really good so cheer harder **** it!

OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
OmegaTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
of course it is the fans fault=== never the players fault, certainly not the gm's fault and of course lowe is in the free

the fans are the ones getting millions of dollars a year to skate around on ice rinks all over the world, it is the fans fault that the players arent scoring---the players are these poor under feed creatures that live the forest that do harm-- it is not like a bunch of them live the high life, eat at fancy places and drink expensive champagne--the fane do--not the players

it is about accountability and lowe is right--the fans are to blame for the crappy play on the ice

the last thing Kclown will admitt is that he built a bad team, over paid people that would be on the fourth line on other teams

blame the fans--it always works out in the end
This made me think of this.

Last edited by OmegaTheory: 01-04-2010 at 04:59 PM.
OmegaTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 04:55 PM
MePutPuckInNet

I swear to God this board gets crazier every day.

Didn't anyone actually listen to the entire interview before commenting on it?

Lowe was primarily on there to talk about the Olympics and WJC. Stauffer also threw some questions at him about the Oilers. No matter what he says or what the players do, you guys are just not going to be happy. Why torture yourselves?

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:00 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Let's hope he sticks to that mindset.

Old
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
hemskysuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
There's videos on the Oilers site where Eberle talks about the proposition of playing with Hall, and they've got an interview with Hall even. I think they know they're going to suck.
precisely what i was thinking when i saw that

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:02 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post

Lowe was primarily on there to talk about the Olympics and WJC. Stauffer also threw some questions at him about the Oilers. No matter what he says or what the players do, you guys are just not going to be happy. Why torture yourselves?
He shouldn't have told the fans they need to support the team better. That was a stupid thing to say to a very disappointed, and smart, fan base.

Old
01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
anjoo

Send a message via MSN to anjoo
Quote:

ding ding ding

anjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
As far as I am concerned, I have heard that tired line for fifteen seasons now. Still waiting for this bright future. Maybe they should finally make some trades for the here and now, it just might help the future out quite a bit.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:05 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
He shouldn't have told the fans they need to support the team better. That was a stupid thing to say to a very disappointed, and smart, fan base.

sarcasm?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
MrOiler

Quote:

Winner!

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:12 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
That's not what he said. He said they needed more support from the fans at home. I don't think it's the same thing at all. Again, if you actually heard the interview you'd realize that...

Geez, I don't know what's more frustrating lately, watching the team play or reading/listening to "fans" spout off every which way about things that may or may not have even been said.

Old
01-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:

We are Oiler fans. It is mostly all we have known (torture) for the better part of the last 2 decades now. It is so hard to break the cycle.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:24 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
That's not what he said. He said they needed more support from the fans at home. I don't think it's the same thing at all. Again, if you actually heard the interview you'd realize that...

Geez, I don't know what's more frustrating lately, watching the team play or reading/listening to "fans" spout off every which way about things that may or may not have even been said.
And that's different from what I said how? It's a BS response from Lowe. I pay damn good money for my tickets and I haven't been entertained since October. This team is lucky they're in a rabid hockey market. He has NO BUSINESS telling fans to up their support level. Home or away. Period.

Old
01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Shizuka

I actually don't expect him or anyone else from management saying much of anything that differs from what was said today. They are not and probably cannot say anything that might be inferred as endorsing a dive.

That being said, I have to seriously question the integrity of Tambellini when it is Lowe that has to step up and answer questions. Just what the hell is the GM doing, anyways? Besides sitting there paralyzed by some crappy contracts (ok, those *are* on Lowe)?

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I actually don't expect him or anyone else from management saying much of anything that differs from what was said today. They are not and probably cannot say anything that might be inferred as endorsing a dive.

That being said, I have to seriously question the integrity of Tambellini when it is Lowe that has to step up and answer questions. Just what the hell is the GM doing, anyways? Besides sitting there paralyzed by some crappy contracts (ok, those *are* on Lowe)?
What does the integrity of Tambellini have to do with Lowe's comments?

Holy crap....is this the Twilight Zone?

Old
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Fourier

There is little that Lowe can say at this point in the season other than we won't trade our pick. Other than that his hands are tied. In suggesting that the team can still pull it out he is obviously making a hollow plea to season ticket holders and casual fans alike to stay on the bandwagon. However, if there is anyone in managment who honestly feels that this team has a snowball's chance in H*** to make the playoffs they need to be given a real dose of reality. As others have pointed out, the mythical 7 game winning streak would in itself not make a serious dent in the gap between the Oilers and the playoffs. In fact, with the three point games becoming so common, a twenty game winning streak would likely leave them with only a fifty-fifty chance of being in the top 8. Anyone want to put odds down on a twenty game winning streak?

As of right now, the playoff teams in the West are on pace for 100 points with the 9th and 10th place teams on pace for 96 and 94 points respectively. To hit 100 points the Oilers would need to get 80% of the points available to them. To hit 95 points they will need to get 72% of the points available. In the latter case this equates to a pace that would lead to a 118 point season. To be safely in the playoffs they need to play at a pace consitent with a 132 point season. Does anyone here really believe that the Oilers still see this as being possible. My guess is that if they got Crosby, Ovechkin, Weber and Brodeur in deals next week this team would still be extremely hard-pressed to make the show this year. That said if they did manage to get these four I would still tip my hat to Tambo on a job well done.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
What does the integrity of Tambellini have to do with Lowe's comments?

Holy crap....is this the Twilight Zone?
Perhaps it should be clarified, his professional integrity i.e. doing his job, making a trade, something to try and justify his position. He is the GM after all. Not his personal integrity. Holy crap, overreact much Sherlock?

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 05:56 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Perhaps it should be clarified, his professional integrity i.e. doing his job, making a trade, something to try and justify his position. He is the GM after all. Not his personal integrity. Holy crap, overreact much Sherlock?
How do you know what he is or isn't doing....Lowe stated they weren't going to make a trade unless it was truly a beneficial move for the Oilers future. How many deals do you think are out there that would really fit into that category? How do you know Tambellini hasn't been on the phone for the past month looking for something?

Old
01-04-2010, 06:16 PM
OneSharpMarble

If anyone supports their team it is the oilers fans. The team has had one decent run in a long time and terrible drafting/signings and this blame can all be laid at the feet of the management. If it was nashville or phoenix he might have a leg to stand on but his comments are downright laughable the way he has sewered the team.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote