HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rules question

Old
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
jgood

vCash: 500
Rules question

Going back to Marleau tossing his stick to Boyle last night, What is the time limit for a penalty to be waved off by a goal?

If there is a penalty, and the team scored anyways, I thought the penalty was waved off. I know it happened quick, but the throwing of the stick happened, and then they scored, but Marleau still served his penalty after that which resulted in another goal. Is it a judgment call by the official?

jgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:34 PM
WTFetus

Thornton was still in the box during that penalty if I recall correctly, therefore the scoring ended the penalty on Thornton and then Marleau's penalty started. If the Kings had not scored, it would have been a 5 on 3 for roughly 20 seconds.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
SJeasy

The limit is set by the previous penalty. If a team is shorthanded and commits an infraction followed by a goal being scored, the second penalty is enforced. By that logic, the time limit could be as much as five minutes on a major infraction. Effectively it is the no mercy rule on previous infractions. It happened in another non-Sharks game within the last week.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:37 PM
tarlinian

Only one penalty gets canceled per goal, the minor penalty with the least amount of time remaining. In that case it was Thornton's penalty, resulting in Marleau going to the box.

On another note, yesterday is the most time Marleau spent in the penalty box in a long time. He increased his PIM total by 50% in one game.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:40 PM
jgood

I didn't realize Thornton was still in the box, That makes sense since they were on the penalty kill

That answers my question. Thanks

jgood is offline   Reply With Quote