HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Quinn's comments today

Old
01-04-2010, 07:03 PM
MePutPuckInNet

vCash: 500
Pat Quinn's comments today

I thought his comments were interesting. http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...d=98&iid=18754

I love the upcoming mini-camp idea and I'm happy that they're still trying to improve this team right here and now.

[Obviously, if you're one of those "lets lose so we can get the #1 draft pick" people, you probably won't be interested in this].

Anyone else really find this encouraging?

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post

[Obviously, if you're one of those "lets lose so we can get the #1 draft pick" people, you probably won't be interested in this].
Oh. Yeah. One of those.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:09 PM
SlowFreshOil*

He's just like everyone else in the organization; can't admit this team is in a free-fall and will most likely finish at the bottom of the conference, and most likely the league.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:10 PM
HockeyFan4Life

Send a message via AIM to HockeyFan4Life Send a message via Yahoo to HockeyFan4Life
You just might find that diamond in the rough! That could just give the team the jolt it needs.

HockeyFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:12 PM
MePutPuckInNet

ok....so,,,,no thoughts about what was said? Just a lot of moping....

Old
Roamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
He's just like everyone else in the organization; can't admit this team is in a free-fall and will most likely finish at the bottom of the conference, and most likely the league.
would him admitting that make you watch more oiler games and support them more?

would admitting that do anything positive? i doubt it.

at least he's trying to do something other then "****** it, i'm packing it in"

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DangerMan
@danlizee

I have no problems with the Oilers trying to better themselves as individuals and as a team, in the here and now, but for those of looking to redefine themselves, its last chance saloon. But I already have preconceived notions about who should stay and who should go, and I'm sure the team does too.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
myteammytown

Quote:

how the **** can you expect anyone from the organization to come out in early january and say something along those lines?

i assume the 100ish years of pro hockey experience behind the bench and in management has figured out the team is in trouble. there is no way they will come out this early and admit, especially after missing the playoffs the last few years.

tough to sell tickets and such if you admit half way through the year you are mailing it in isnt it?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Roamin

Also, short of filling their ingame water with redbull instead, mini-camp idea sounds good to me.

the oilers need some sort of fight in them.
if they lose, fine,
if they lose and just look defeated and have no hussle? i'd rather watch another team. or sport.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:18 PM
MePutPuckInNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
Also, short of filling their ingame water with redbull instead, mini-camp idea sounds good to me.

the oilers need some sort of fight in them.
if they lose, fine,
if they lose and just look defeated and have no hussle? i'd rather watch another team. or sport.
That's kind of how I feel too. I'm under no delusions that it's going to make this team a playoff team. But I do like that everyone is willing to put in some effort to try to make this team contend, even if they're just contending for a win on a game by game basis.

It's probably the best decision Pat Quinn has made this season, IMO.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
would him admitting that make you watch more oiler games and support them more?

would admitting that do anything positive? i doubt it.

at least he's trying to do something other then "****** it, i'm packing it in"
Hey, I have no problem with how Quinn's been whatsoever. I'm just saying he's saying they're not going to give up, because he basically has to.

I know Quinn's a fighter, and doesn't quit, but his body language speaks volumes. I had a long discussion between shoots with a body language expert and I asked her to look at some clips of Quinn from games that I PVR'd. Anyway, from what she saw, she said that Quinn looks absolutely defeated and incredibly frustrated. She said if you watch the beginning of the season (when the team started well) he was standing up tall, and had his chest out. During this last streak of losses, he has a more slouched appearance and his chest looks sunken in, almost like his shoulders have come in.

This was just a preliminary diagnosis from this woman. She said she would need to see much more in the way of interviews to make a more detailed analysis. I was going to bring this up in its own thread, but I figured I would just mention it here.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
how the **** can you expect anyone from the organization to come out in early january and say something along those lines?

i assume the 100ish years of pro hockey experience behind the bench and in management has figured out the team is in trouble. there is no way they will come out this early and admit, especially after missing the playoffs the last few years.

tough to sell tickets and such if you admit half way through the year you are mailing it in isnt it?
Thats crazy talk.
Come on, your supposed to rant & rave & hate, with no real insight, logic or thought .

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I thought his comments were interesting. http://oilers.nhl.com/club/podcastpl...d=98&iid=18754

I love the upcoming mini-camp idea and I'm happy that they're still trying to improve this team right here and now.

Anyone else really find this encouraging?
Can you break it down a bit since you started the thread and found the comments interesting? What comments did you find interesting?

Its hard to care enough about the Oilers these days to bother listening to Pat drone on for a dozen minutes.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:24 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
I didn't expect anything different. I was just referring to the OP stating:
Quote:

Old
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Hey, I have no problem with how Quinn's been whatsoever. I'm just saying he's saying they're not going to give up, because he basically has to.

I know Quinn's a fighter, and doesn't quit, but his body language speaks volumes. I had a long discussion between shoots with a body language expert and I asked her to look at some clips of Quinn from games that I PVR'd. Anyway, from what she saw, she said that Quinn looks absolutely defeated and incredibly frustrated.
And because he's a fighter, and its still his job to improve this team in anyway he can, he will do what he must.

I agree that he looks defeated. I'm surprised he hasn't had a heart attack yet.
But he's not ready to quit on the oilers yet. and I can support that.
Hope the mini-camp gives them a little jump in their step.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:29 PM
myteammytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Thats crazy talk.
Come on, your supposed to rant & rave & hate, with no real insight, logic or thought .
can i just blame MacT instead?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I actually tried listening to that and Pats resigned depressive tone is putting me to sleep. Almost impossibly boring interview to listen to.

Is this a translation for "bagskate" I think I lost focus trying to listen to that.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
SlowFreshOil*

Quote:
And because he's a fighter, and its still his job to improve this team in anyway he can, he will do what he must.

I agree that he looks defeated. I'm surprised he hasn't had a heart attack yet.
But he's not ready to quit on the oilers yet. and I can support that.
Hope the mini-camp gives them a little jump in their step.
I support Quinn wholeheartedly, but I would rather he focus on passing his wisdom and knowledge onto players who need it and not to ones that obviously don't listen and don't care, i.e. O'Sullivan and Moreau.

Old
01-04-2010, 07:36 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

Quote:
I support Quinn wholeheartedly, but I would rather he focus on passing his wisdom and knowledge onto players who need it and not to ones that obviously don't listen and don't care, i.e. O'Sullivan and Moreau.
This is where the Oilers have to be careful from now til the end of the season. The riff-raff vs. The chosen ones. This is still supposed to be a team, all for one and one for all, and all that shenanigans, but it should be clear which players are going into the future and which ones are getting left behind.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:37 PM
MePutPuckInNet

I was interested in the specifics about what they're going to be working on.

I'm not going to type the whole thing and much of it is the same stuff he's been "droning" on about all year, but the part I'm going to quote interested me.

'We might have to decide, from a systems standpoint, some minor adjustments. maybe we misread our skills a little bit....I thought we had quickness to forecheck and quickness to defend...we're not strong in our zone. Have to find ways to sustain pressure in the O-zone...We have a puck skating defense but need a puck passing defense...got to have certain people that are your retrieve people and we haven't done a very good job of it...got to work on positional play and winning battles for the puck and certainly moving the puck more quickly'

Quote:
We do have ability to skate, a lot of times positionally we're there, I've said from the start of the year one of the things letting us down is our defensive zone play. When we reviewed the clips of the game, we're there but we don't do the jobs.
From my point of view, I think this is a bit of a change from his typical comments about defensive zone play. It's not that these guys aren't getting to where they're supposed to be, it's that they're not sure what they're supposed to do when they get there. That's different, dont' you think? That's something you can teach them. Quinn even says right after that comment that "we haven't given them the answer to help them get a better record".

Maybe it's just me....but, I thought it was good stuff...

Old
01-04-2010, 08:19 PM
tiger_80

Yes, it's his job to do the best he can with the team he has.

It is upon the management to recognize that the team is not good and re-build properly.

Re-building properly, however, is not a synonym for going young.

It's about a long-term strategy. That should entail not only shipping out vets who won't be able to help the team long-term (Souray, Moreau, Staios, Comrie, Pisani) and aquiring more draft picks/prospects.

It is also about letting go off young players whose skills are replicated (Nilsson, O'Sullivan, Cogliano, Gilbert/Grebeshkov).

This might also mean in the off-season they will have to bring in more cheap veterans on short-term deal to provide mentorship.

I think the core of the team is well defined now. It's upon Tambellini to cut the excess fat.

Habibulin
JDD

Visnovsky-Smid
Grebeshkov/Gilbert-X
X-X
X

X-X-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Brule
X-Horcoff-X
JFJ-Potulny-Stortini
Stone, Pouliot

major holes: 1LW/2LW, 1C, 3LW (strong defensive player, JFJ is not that), 3RW (same, Stone is an energy guy, not a strong defensive forward)
4D (good shutdown d-man)

Last edited by tiger_80: 01-04-2010 at 08:26 PM.
tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:24 PM
MePutPuckInNet

OMG. If Jean-Francois Jacques and Ryan Freaking Stone are "core" pieces of this puzzle there is truly no hope....rebuild or no rebuild.

Old
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I actually tried listening to that and Pats resigned depressive tone is putting me to sleep. Almost impossibly boring interview to listen to.

Is this a translation for "bagskate" I think I lost focus trying to listen to that.
The team is going to try a new system. Something similar to a trap. Could be interesting...

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:05 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I was interested in the specifics about what they're going to be working on.

I'm not going to type the whole thing and much of it is the same stuff he's been "droning" on about all year, but the part I'm going to quote interested me.

'We might have to decide, from a systems standpoint, some minor adjustments. maybe we misread our skills a little bit....I thought we had quickness to forecheck and quickness to defend...we're not strong in our zone. Have to find ways to sustain pressure in the O-zone...We have a puck skating defense but need a puck passing defense...got to have certain people that are your retrieve people and we haven't done a very good job of it...got to work on positional play and winning battles for the puck and certainly moving the puck more quickly'

From my point of view, I think this is a bit of a change from his typical comments about defensive zone play. It's not that these guys aren't getting to where they're supposed to be, it's that they're not sure what they're supposed to do when they get there. That's different, dont' you think? That's something you can teach them. Quinn even says right after that comment that "we haven't given them the answer to help them get a better record".

Maybe it's just me....but, I thought it was good stuff...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
The team is going to try a new system. Something similar to a trap. Could be interesting...
Thanks. I'm normally not so lazy not to check it out myself but I must be too tired to listen to Pat today. To fed up with the team as well.
I just can't get excited about anything Oil at this point.

Old
01-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 50
Mini-camp?

Does this mean some players will be cut?

I can think of a few that might not make the team.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote