HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for a D-Man?

Old
01-04-2010, 09:40 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Trade for a D-Man?

What do you guys think? With Bieksa down for what could be the season. Will a move be made for another blueliner? If so, is it going to be made soon? or at the deadline?

I think Gillis is going to give Lukowich a chance to play a fairly large role on the team, but come playoffs I know if I wouldn't feel comfortable having Rome out on the ice if another injury hits. With the team rolling right now I think if the blue-line starts to falter Gillis will make a move before the deadline to grab another defenseman sooner rather then later to prevent any losing streaks. The team can't afford any of them at this point in the season.

Any suggestions on who is a reasonable target?

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:44 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

vCash: 500
MARKOV for rodin

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I would like to see Volchenkov. but that is a pipedream

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
rye&ginger

roffle roffle

I doubt there will be a trade because its too difficult to make one happen. There has been what...one trade of significance in the season so far? Even it was a apple for apple trade.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
we already traded for 2 Dmen in the off-season... Luko and the Hoff. The former will be making his Canuck debut this week.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
digger18

2 wrongs dont make a right....Gillis just saw a guy that he signed clear waivers.

To give up assets just to fill a hole when we already have Lukowich would be another mistake IMO.

Honestly, Lukowich would have to play pretty damn bad to match Bieksa's horrible performances anyway. I'm thinking we have already upgraded...

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Jyrki21
Registered Trademark

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Luko and the Hoff.
Together they fight crime...

Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

This is a valid thread. Canucks have:

#1 Mitchell
#2 Salo
#3 Ehrhoff
#4 Edler
#5 SOB
#6 Lukowich
#7 Rome

Given SOBs limitations and the way Edler has been playing, Lukowich could become #4. More importantly, only Salo is a RH shot - if he is injured, Canucks would have no RH Dmen. In fact, the only RH Dman in the entire organization other than Salo and Bieksa is Baumgartner. Even Oberg, Connauton, Sauve and Andersson are lefties.

Last edited by Outside99*: 01-05-2010 at 02:18 AM. Reason: added Sauve
Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi-wayman

There are very few teams who would have a defenseman that Vancouver would want and which team would be willing to trade with the Canucks this season. Most of those teams are battling Vancouver for a playoff spot themselves. Maybe Toronto.

In the off season, I see Nashville as our best trading partner.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
No sense in wasting assets right now before seeing how the team will do. They should be able to hold the fort just fine 'til Bieksa gets back. They're lucky to have someone like Lukowich to fill in.

Kickassguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:45 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Given ... the way Edler has been playing, Lukowich could become #4.

While I am not as optimistic about Luk's chances to skyrocket up the depth chart on a healthy roster (or shall I say - as incredibly, wildly, unbelievably pessimistic about Edler), I do think he is capable of playing better for the rest of this season than any defenseman we'd be able to claim off waivers, and as well as any defenseman we'd get in a trade for the sorts of assets I suspect Gillis is willing to give up.

And I'd still rather see him spend those assets on a center.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 05:16 AM
StrictlyCommercial

I think we may pick up another depth D at the Deadline for a 6th or something if Bieksa looks to be out long term. We will be fine for now though.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:20 PM
leftcoaster

Too early to think of a trade I think, and there is enough in terms of depth on the Canucks to not worry about it at all. Rome and Lukowich can both do fine in the interim and at the worst I'd really like to see what Oberg can do.

leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:31 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
If Gillis feels this team can make a run I could realistically see us picking up Scott Niedermayer (or at least entering a bidding war for him) at the deadline. I could see a package around Grabner, Sauve and a 1st round pick for Niedermayer being offered about. Perhaps Schneider thrown into the mix? (Cory)

01-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
If Gillis feels this team can make a run I could realistically see us picking up Scott Niedermayer (or at least entering a bidding war for him) at the deadline. I could see a package around Grabner, Sauve and a 1st round pick for Niedermayer being offered about. Perhaps Schneider thrown into the mix? (Cory)
Major overpayment for a guy who has looked mediocre this year and is clearly a rental.

The asking price at the deadline would be a 1st. And i'm not sure it's worth really giving that up either. Does he really put us over the top?

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Both Niedermayer and the Ducks say no to a trade as reported by Pierre LeBrun on 14 November 2009 when trade rumours began to surface earlier this season:
Quote:
Niedermayer sent ESPN.com this comment on Saturday prior to his game in Detroit: "I don't want to be traded. I love it in Anaheim, and the only thing I'm focused on right now is helping our team get back on track and make the playoffs. That's it."

Via text message to ESPN.com, Murray also reiterated that he has no intention of trading Niedermayer (UFA July 1), and wants to see the future Hall of Fame retire a Duck.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:46 PM
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Huge no thank you from me. Nonis had a habit of grabbing d-men on the downslope of their careers for 2nd & 3rd round picks. I don't want to see Gillis one up him by overpaying for Niedermayer (and I don't think Gillis will). Don't get me wrong, I would like Niedermayer and he still has value, but just not that much value. I'm satisfied with playing the hand we've been dealt. There's a reason why people are excited about our prospects for a change, and it's because we've drafted better (I'd like to think, a bit early to say that definitively), and we haven't wasted as many picks the last couple trade deadlines (we had 2 picks in first 4 rounds in 07, 2 in first 5 in 06).

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:57 PM
leftcoaster

Quote:
Too much for a rental, and the price is too much for a player that has no long term future with the organization.

leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Both Niedermayer and the Ducks say no to a trade as reported by Pierre LeBrun on 14 November 2009 when trade rumours began to surface earlier this season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...=lebrun_pierre
Niedermayer is not the kind of guy that's going to say "Yeah, I want to be traded".

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
Niedermayer is not the kind of guy that's going to say "Yeah, I want to be traded".
He did say earlier in the year that he might consider a trade but then backed off. As he said on 11 November 2009:
Quote:
It is not inconceivable that Niedermayer could be traded back to his former club for another shot at a Stanley Cup with brother Rob.

"I think it's a possibility," Niedermayer said of being traded by the Ducks at some point this season. "Last year we were kind of in a situation where we were teetering and there was some talk and rumors. You start to think about it.

"But I'm not thinking about that right now. Our goal right now is to do well on this road trip, to play good hockey and get into the playoff picture and compete with this team. When those bridges come, I'll deal with them."

Niedermayer signed a one-year, $6 million contract with the Ducks this summer and it does not include a no-trade clause.
http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...r_wind_up.html

It was in response to the firestorm of speculation that his comments created that he then said he did not want to be traded and Murray said he will not be trading him this season.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:53 PM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
We'll see. I take that more as a kind of "we don't want to distract the team right now because we still think we have a legitimate shot at the playoffs" kind of thing. Even if they're a long ways out right now.

If the trade deadline rolls around and the Ducks still sit 12 points out I think the tune might change.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
What do you guys think? With Bieksa down for what could be the season. Will a move be made for another blueliner? If so, is it going to be made soon? or at the deadline?

I think Gillis is going to give Lukowich a chance to play a fairly large role on the team, but come playoffs I know if I wouldn't feel comfortable having Rome out on the ice if another injury hits. With the team rolling right now I think if the blue-line starts to falter Gillis will make a move before the deadline to grab another defenseman sooner rather then later to prevent any losing streaks. The team can't afford any of them at this point in the season.

Any suggestions on who is a reasonable target?
this is the part that doesn't make sense for me.

you're going to trade assets to replace Bieksa because of what things might look like "come playoff time"...

Bieksa is out 2-3 months... that means the longest he's expected out for is till the end of March.

with 6 games, and 2 weeks in April before the playoffs start, it should give Bieksa time to get back.

Why make a move and give up assets to fill a hole for the next 3 months, when he's expected back by the playoffs... and it's not like Bieksa was playing that great that his loss will hurt the Canucks a lot in the standings.

I think they'd be better off waiting for waiver pickups... as we get closer to the deadline, chances are that there will be more options on waivers, as most contenders are already close to the cap and if they're making any additions at deadline time (as we see every year), chances are that they'll be dropping salary on waivers in the process.

I'd rather pick up a #6/7 guy on waivers to replace Bieksa till the end of March (if Lukowich can't fill that role till then), than to give up any valuable assets to fill that hole now... by playoff time that addition may become redundant with Bieksa back, and if O'Brien continues to play as well as he has.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

Luko

The Protein Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 06:13 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
this is the part that doesn't make sense for me.

you're going to trade assets to replace Bieksa because of what things might look like "come playoff time"...

Bieksa is out 2-3 months... that means the longest he's expected out for is till the end of March.

with 6 games, and 2 weeks in April before the playoffs start, it should give Bieksa time to get back.

Why make a move and give up assets to fill a hole for the next 3 months, when he's expected back by the playoffs... and it's not like Bieksa was playing that great that his loss will hurt the Canucks a lot in the standings.

I think they'd be better off waiting for waiver pickups... as we get closer to the deadline, chances are that there will be more options on waivers, as most contenders are already close to the cap and if they're making any additions at deadline time (as we see every year), chances are that they'll be dropping salary on waivers in the process.

I'd rather pick up a #6/7 guy on waivers to replace Bieksa till the end of March (if Lukowich can't fill that role till then), than to give up any valuable assets to fill that hole now... by playoff time that addition may become redundant with Bieksa back, and if O'Brien continues to play as well as he has.
Just like Demitra was expected to be back shortly into the season? Or Bieksa the first time he was injured originally reported as being out for 2 months..which soon turned to an undetermined time...which turned into missing 42 games.

The recovery could go poorly, and if there is no move made at the deadline, you're going into the playoffs with a blue-line with little depth, and only one RH D-man...who is the most injury prone player we have.

I wasn't advocating making a move immediately, or suggesting a Scott Neidermayer type move but I think the team doesn't have a comfortable place in the standings where they can test our the roster for too long, it needs to be firing on all cylinders for he rest of the season. I wouldn't mind throwing a mid level prospect/pick for a guy like Seidenberg (Still wish we'd signed him in FA).

Waiver pickups may be a smart route though, with guys like Jurcina and Leach being put through lately, I'm sure the trend will continue and hopefully one with a decent contract is sent down/called up and Gillis can grab him.

TLinden16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 01:29 AM
HavoK041

the way he's playing right now, SOB>Bieksa.

HavoK041 is offline   Reply With Quote