HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

GKJ's Top 50 Favorite Albums of 2009

Old
01-04-2010, 10:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
GKJ's Top 50 Favorite Albums of 2009

So, at the end of 2008/start of 2009, I decided to make a goal for myself to listen to enough music to be able to come up with my own list for 2009. Most if not all of the other listmakers out there have more depth, I'm sure, not just in what they have, but what they hear when they listen, but for me it was a bit more of a process to expose myself to so much more stuff. Some of these will be the same as you've seen, but also, obviously, I'm going to bring some more albums into the mix (some because I didn't get to some stuff I saw that I would have liked to have heard more often). Keep in mind that, most of these I don't have that many previous albums by that band to compare them with. Additionally, I was all over BML's and Cerebral's lists, so I'll add a YT of my top track, but I'll throw out something different for overlapping picks. Maybe you'll find something here you wouldn't have otherwise ever found.

50. Thao With the Get Down Stay Down - Know Better Learn Faster; October 13 (Falls Church, Virginia)
Favorite Track: "When We Swam"

49. Brandi Carlile - Give Up the Ghost; October 6 (Seattle, Washington)
Favorite Track: "Caroline"

48. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You; February 9 (London, England)
Favorite Track: "Everyone's At It"
I've heard Lily Allen to be described as "cheeky" which is apt, but I really like this song as part of my Top 25 songs of the year. "Not Fair" also focuses on sexual frustration.

47. Wilco - Wilco (The Album); June 30 (Chicago, Illinois)
Favorite Track: "You and I"
With Feist (I think you knew that though)

46. MuteMath - Armistice; August 18 (New Orleans, Louisiana)
Favorite Track: "The Nerve"

45. Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist; July 21 (Wasilla, Alaska)
Favorite Track: "People Say"

44. Harlem Shakes - Technicolor Health; March 24 (New York, New York)
Alternate Track: "Natural Man"

43. Sea Wolf - White Water, White Bloom; September 22 (Los Angeles, California)
Favorite Track: "Wicked Blood"
Video stars Shannyn Sossamon.

42. Pearl Jam - Backspacer; September 20 (Seattle, Washington)
Favorite Track: "Unthought Known"

41. Japandroids - Post-Nothing; April 28 (Vancouver, British Columbia)
Alternate Track: "Rockers East Vancouver"

40. Mew - No More Stories / Are Told Today / I'm Sorry / They Washed Away // No More Stories / The World Is Grey / I'm Tired / Let's Wash Away; August 17 (Hellerup, Denmark)
Alternate Track: "Cartoons and Macreme Wounds"

39. Monsters of Folk - Self-Titled; September 22 (Various, USA)
Favorite Track: "Dear God (Sincerely M.O.F.)"
Was slated for 2010 release, maybe should have waited

38. PMMP - Veden Varaan; November 3 (Helsinki, Finland)
Favoirte Track: "Kuvia"

37. Company of Thieves - Ordinary Riches; February 24 (Chicago, Illinois)
Favorite Track: "Oscar Wilde"
So, I first heard about this band at a Thriving Ivory (who did not make the list) show. I was only there because my cousin loves them, and then didn't want to go see the opening bands. I decided I wanted to find out what I missed so that I felt like I discovered something else, and it turned out they made the list. They're working on bringing them back to Philly.

36. Girls - Album; September 22 (San Francisco, California)
Alternate Track: "Laura"

35. Islands - Vapours; September 22 (Montreal, Quebec)
Favorite Track: "Vapours"

34. Andrew Bird - Noble Beast; January 20 (Chicago, Illinois)
Favorite Track: "Masterswarm"

33. M. Ward - Hold Time; February 17 (Portland, Oregon)
Alternate Track: "To Save Me"

32. Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey; April 7 (Southampton, England)
Favorite Track: "Death By Diamonds and Pearls"
White Stripes Fans will like.

31. Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains; January 25 (New York, New York)
Alternate Track: "Wind Phoenix"

30. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca; June 9 (Brooklyn, New York)
Alternate Track: "No Intention"

29. The Swimmers - People Are Soft; November 3 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Favorite Track: "Shelter"

28. Tegan and Sara - Sainthood; October 27 (Calgary, Alberta)
Favorite Track: "On Directing"

27. fun. - Aim and Ignite; August 25 (New York, New York)
Favorite Track: "All the Pretty Girls"

26. Electric Six - KILL; October 20 (Detroit, Michigan)
Lead vocals Dick Valentine's slapstickish band claim a return to roots to build on other cheeky recent releases. His side project could have hit the list as well, had I managed to get the album.
Favorite Track: "Body Shot"

25. Passion Pit - Manners; May 18 (Cambridge, Massachusetts)
Favorite Track: "Little Secrets"
I had to listen to this for the most part in doses. Played too often, seems to get a bit bland to me despite the sunny disposition of the beats and melody. However, despite being lower on the list, still satisfied with the hype the album got based on their strong Chunk of Change EP.

24. Melody Gardot - My One And Only Thrill; April 28 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Favorite Track: "Who Will Comfort Me?"
For anyone who enjoys a little Jazz. Interesting story and pretty much how I got interested (other than Meldoy being pretty hot and from Philly). She was on a bike downtown and got T-boned on the freaken bike. Shattered spleen, and was confined not just to a bed, but on her back for a year. She also developed hypersensitivity to light and sound, requiring her to weak dark sunglasses. Anyways, she developed a music career through musical therapy, and learned to play guitar during the first year after the accident - while situated on her back.

23. The Dead Weather - Horehound; July 14 (Nashville, Tennessee)
Favorite Track: "Treat Me Like Your Mother"
Jack White has to be among the music artists of the decade, just on how much stuff he's released. This might be my favorite of what he's done. And there should be another album in 2010.

22. Howling Bells - Radio Wars; March 2 (Sydney, Australia)
Favorite Track: "Treasure Hunt"
Juanita Stein has a phenomenal voice, one of the best you'll hear for my money. If you've heard the band, I hope you agree. If not, I hope you'll be impressed.

21. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Hometowns; July 7 (Toronto, Ontario)
Favorite Track: "Don't Haunt This Place"
This is the album I listened to when I was bring driven to the emergency room when I had pneumonia. Also when I was sitting in my car waiting to drive home my drunk friends not too long after. Take that for what you will.

20. Bat For Lashes - Two Suns; April 6 (London, England)
Favorite Track: "Glass"
Last Monday on Y-Rock, they had a guest in from a website called musicsnobbery.com (it's one guy I think), and he kind of put it well, perhaps a bit over the top suggesting that Natasha Khan invented a music genre that he termed "magical."

19. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone; March 3 (Vancouver, British Columbia)
Favorite Track: "This Tornado Loves You"
Have to agree with BML on a previous list when about Neko Case having among the best voices out there as well.

18. The Temper Trap - Conditions; June 19 (Melbourne, Australia)
Favorite Track: "Fader"
Most people will recognize "Sweet Disposition" from this album, featured on the "(500) Days of Summer" soundtrack. This is a real effort beginning to end, and "Fader" is one of my probably top 10 songs of the year standing out.

17. Silversun Pickups - Swoon; April 14 (Los Angeles, California)
Favorite Track: "It's Nice to Know You Work Alone"
I think it's a moderate step forward from Carnavas.

16. The Ettes - Do You Want Power?; September 29 (Nashville, Tennessee)
Favorite Track: "No Home"
Bad quality, and the only video I could come up with. Added bonus for a song "Marathon" off of a previous album in this YT, they don't have a whole lot out there to look up.

15. The Joy Formidable - A Balloon Called Moaning; January 19 (Hold, Wales)
Favorite Track: "Whirring"
Alternate Track: "9669"
This is the album I may have had the hardest time picking a favorite song. I think I picked up on them from reading Nylon Magazine one day at work when I was bored. Pick any song, they're all really, really good, I don't think one really stands out. You can hear the Welsh in them as well.

14. Au Revoir Simone - Still Night, Still Light; May 19 (Brooklyn, New York)
Favorite Track: "Shadows"
Alternate Track: "Knight of Wands"
School-teacher look meets artsy keyboards and synthesizers. And when I name a Fantasy Football Team after one of the deep tracks, you're high up on the list.

13. The Flaming Lips - Embryonic; October 13 (Oklahoma City, Oklahoma)
Alternate Track: "The Sparrow Looks Up At the Machine"
Alternate Track: "Silver Trembling Hands"
I've heard less of the Flaming Lips than everyone else, but still familiar with them as well. It's been a long time since "She Don't Use Jelly" and this is a wholly different sound - already documented on these parts. However, for any band, it's impressive to release a 70-minute 12th album and still get such high praise for it, to take modern alternative with ambient and experimental sounds.

12. The Antlers - Hospice; August 18 (Brooklyn, NY)
Alternate Track: "Bear"
Alternate Track: "Kettering"

This album really needs to be listened to in full-context for the most part. Much had been discussed about this album here as it is. Most people interested in giving it a chance likely have.

11. The xx - xx; August 17 (London, England)
Favorite Track: "Islands"
Alternate Track: "VCR"
Picking an Album to sit at #11 just outside the Top 10 might have been the toughest decision in making the list. I wasn't expecting a lot after hearing "Crystalized" before getting the album, but there is a lot of strength to the album. It was recorded almost completely late at night, and it kind of sounds like it with goth-like hints in some of the melodies. Of any debut release, the xx are probably the most intriguing to me to see how they progress.

10. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest; May 26 (Brooklyn, New York)
Alternate Track: "Southern Point"
Alternate Track: "Cheerleader"
I guess I'm in the minority not having this as the #2 album. When I made the list I had this at a few places, almost out of the Top 10 and decided I couldn't bring myself to do it, as I've had it up there just about the entire time the album was out. Just a lot that is pretty great and will age well.

9. East Hundred - Passenger; January 13 (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)
Favorite Track: "Plus Minus" (shortened by about 20 seconds, not full song)
Alternate Track: "Slow Burning Crimes"
East Hundred this year caught a huge break, and it turned into them becoming recognized the best new band, maybe best band period, of the Philly Music Scene. Former WXPN Host/Y-Rock Program Director/Divine Savior of Alternative Music in Philadelphia Jim McGuinn, heard their album, brought it in to XPN (and Y-Rock) played it for the staff, and became almost an overnight sensation locally. It originally took them a while (partially because the lead singer and guitarist broke off their relationship), but everything aligned perfectly for this band. I've seen lead singer Beril Guceri be compared to Nina Persson of the Cardigans, also putting her among the best voices on the list.

8. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix; May 26 (Versailles, France)
Alternate Track: "Fences"
Alternate Track: "Rome"
Like most other people, huge effort by Phoenix. They blew up here in Philadelphia, "1901" was voted the #1 song of the year by listeners on Y-Rock, this album voted best album of the year on Y-Rock. France is to indie music what Lativa is to the NHL. You're kinda hoping some more breakthroughs come out of there. I think it might be pretty tough to move forward for them.

7. Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer; June 23 (Montreal, Quebec)
Alternate Track: "Apollo and the Buffalo and Anna Anna Anna Oh!"
Alternate Track: "Idiot Heart"
I don't know guys, I think this represents Spencer Krug's best focus. To say it's great, if it's this high, goes without saying at this point. "You Go On Ahead (Trumpet Trumpet II)" is probably in my top 5 songs of the year. Frankly, I can't believe I only have them at #7.

6. Metric - Fantasies; April 7 (Toronto, Ontario)
Favorite Track: "Gold, Guns, Girls"
Alternate Track: "Sick Muse"
I'm so pissed I missed them when they came to Philly on the night before Thanksgiving (****ing Pneumonia). Anyways, I wasn't too impressed at the start, but it really grew on me throughout the year. If I made this list in July I'd probably have them in the 20's or 30's. The first words out of Emily Haines' mouth on the album "I Tremble" (from Help! I'm Alive), all the way through "Stadium Love" is just a whole bunch of energy and adrenaline running though you.

5. The Raveonettes - In and Out of Control; October 6 (Copenhagen, Denmark)
Favorite Track: "Gone Forever"
Alternate Track: "Suicide" (Really is better live)

Apparently, it seems I favor Danish music more than some people here who spent time in Denmark. This album I think represents Sune Rose and Sharin Foo's best work to date. It's aided that I also saw them live (the link from "Gone Forever" is from the show I was at in Philadelphia).

4. The Sounds - Crossing the Rubicon; June 2 (Helsingborg, Sweden)
Favorite Track: "Beatbox"
Alternat Track: "4 Songs & a Fight"
Maja Ivarsson, I love you. And so does Missy Margera, who was at the show I was at (w/ Bam). Being probably my favorite band, I'm a bit disappointed that this didn't end up at #1, as this album sat there a top my list for most of the year. And I'm not really sure if this is better than Dying to Say This To You, but that just means other stuff was that much better. I was stoked to finally see them live and they blew me away that I was considering getting in a car and driving to Cleveland by myself to see them again - on impulse.

3. Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career; April 20 (Glasgow, Scotland)
Favorite Track: "Honey In the Sun"
Alternate Track: "Swans" (Acoustic version recorded in a campervan)
In a year where I spent a lot of time and energy searching, researching, reading, listening and discovering for the first time, I'd have to say Camera Obscura was my favorite discovery of the year. The sound and melody of "Swans" on the album sounds a lot like that 50's or 60's in the summer, I think. And it was over the summer when I was down the shore when this grew on me to the point where I was considering it for my favorite album of the year.

2. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion; January 6 (Baltimore, Maryland)
Favorite Track: "Bluish"
Alternate Track: "In the Flowers"
There isn't really much to say that hasn't already been said about. It's top 10 in just about every single list I've seen. Every song is a masterpiece of ambient, freaky, psychedelic, experimental awesomeness. And there's going to be much more to come.

1. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!; March 9 (New York, New York)
Favorite Track: "Heads Will Roll"
Alternate Track: "Soft Shock"
It seems that this is a love-it, or hate-it album (our other listmakers, they did nothing for anyways admittedly). I've seen a lot of people like it more than what they've done. A lot of people think it's a complete departure from what the band is. I disagree with that obviously. On this board I've seen it described as a band realizing it's pull potential. Not gone, and not forgotten are Karen O's old barking and scratching vocals, but it's dampened and we bring in the synths (which based on this list as a whole, I like). Captivating live and recorded, I think it's a big step forward, and I'll worry about whether there is another step to take when they make another album.

By the Numbers
Countries Represented: 10
United States: 31
Canada: 7
England: 4
Denmark: 2
Australia: 2
Finland: 1
France: 1
Sweden: 1
Scotland: 1

States Represented: 15 (includes wherever Monsters of Folk is)
New York: 8
Pennsylvania: 3
Illinois: 3
California: 3
Tennessee: 2
Washington: 2
Virginia: 1
Oklahoma: 1
Maryland: 1
Louisiana: 1
Michigan: 1
Massachusetts: 1
Oregon: 1
Alaska: 1
Texas: 0 (Neon Indian could have made the list, but I didn't get to it until real late)
Georgia: 0 (WTF Athens?)

By Month:
January: 5
February: 3
March: 4
April: 7
May: 4
June: 5
July: 3
August: 5
September: 6
October: 6
November: 2
December: 0

Number of albums with at least 1 central female vocalist: 23
Number of albums with more than 1 central female vocalist: 3
Number of females in Girls: 0

Bands/Acts using periods: 3

Number of Albums I Share with Big McLargehuge: 21
Number of Albums I Share with Cerebral on Top 50: 17
Number of Albums on All 3 Top 50 Lists: 16
Albums I only Share with Big McLargehuge: 5
Albums I only Share with Cerebral: 1 (Japandroids - Post-Nothing)

(Each would be one more more if my list was 51 as There Is No Ememy from Built to Spill would be on it. Worth mentions again that they're from tiny but somewhat the large state of Idaho.)

Match-ups

Vancouver vs. Calgary
Canucks 2 Flames 1

Toronto vs. Montreal
Canadiens 3 Maple Leafs 2 in a shootout
Tegan Quin lives in Montreal, twin sister Sara stayed in Calgary

Chicago vs. Detroit
Blackhawks 3 Red Wings 1

Nashville vs. Detroit
Predators 2 Red Wings 1

NorCal vs. SoCal
Kings 2 Sharks 1 (I don't see Anaheim anywhere...)

Philadelphia vs. Pittsburgh
Flyers 3 Penguins 0!
(although I heard of a band from Pittsburgh that I will check out)

Philadelphia vs. New York
Damn.

Awards

Song of the Year
"Heads Will Roll" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Song of the Year Not Represented on the List
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - "Home"

Favorite Debut Album
East Hundred - Passenger

Favorite Debut Album from band/act not from Philadelphia
The xx - xx

Best Band With Ambiguous Meaning Behind Name of Band
The xx

Best Foreign Language Album
PMMP - Veden Varaan (Finnish)

Best EP's
1. Animal Collective - Fall Be Kind
2. Gang - The Electronic EP
3. Bon Iver - Blood Bank

Endurance Test
"Dragon' s Lair" by Sunset Rubdown (10:28)

Best Soundtrack
The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Worst Movie Associated with a Great Soundtrack
The Twilight Saga: New Moon

Best Movie Associated with a Great Soundtrack
(500) Days of Summer

Best Album Cover
The Flaming Lips - Embryonic

Worst Album Cover
The Ettes - Do You Want Power?

Red-Head Album (Which one of these 50 isn't like the others?)
Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill

Red-Head With an Awesome Voice
Neko Case

Song That Also Serves As a Public Service Announcement
"Everyone's At It" by Lily Allen

Most Wasteful Use of Eggs
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!

Coolest Optical Illusion
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

Best Album Named After Outdoor Concert Venue
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavillion

Best Thing To Come Out of Wasilla, Alaska
Portugal. The Man

Possibly Idaho, too
Built to Spill....or college football, they try to make the bowls they play in exciting...

Earth's Elevations Are Completely Natural
Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains

Please Killer Whale
Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Best Likely Unintentional Hockey-Termed Song Title
"Plus Minus" by East Hundred

Hottest Swede
Maja Ivarsson of The Sounds

Most Unlikely Swede
Felix Rodriguez of The Sounds

Saddest Album
The Antlers - Hospice

Awesome Song Title
"Let's Hallucinate Together" by Flashy Python

City That Shares a Home Base With Gender-Confused Band and Song Title of a Finnish-Language Album
San Francisco

Best Band from France with Same Name as American City
Phoenix

Best Band from America with French Name
Au Revoir Simone

International System of Units
Metric

A Cow May Have a Strange Accent
Mew

Icy Chap Stick?
The Flaming Lips

Time of Day I Wrote This Part
4:00 am

Last edited by GKJ: 10-28-2010 at 12:16 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Garo

vCash: 500
Now I won't feel so alone when I'll put Lily Allen on my list.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Cerebral

Neat list, there is a lot of stuff here I still have to check out. I never did get around listening to that Sea Wolf album and I've heard it's pretty good.

01-05-2010, 12:56 AM
40oz

I keep putting off getting Camera Obscura... Final straw.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 05:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Now I won't feel so alone when I'll put Lily Allen on my list.
Nothing wrong with a few guilty pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Neat list, there is a lot of stuff here I still have to check out. I never did get around listening to that Sea Wolf album and I've heard it's pretty good.
Surprised more people haven't heard of them quite honestly. They're on the Twilight: New Moon soundtrack, so 14-year old girls are finding out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I keep putting off getting Camera Obscura... Final straw.
High praise for them from me considering I barely heard of them outside of BML's list a few years about and put them in front possibly my favorite band.

Old
01-05-2010, 07:09 PM
jmtznr0th

I'm glad someone else loves "Crossing the Rubicon" as much as I do.

Very nice list, I have a lot of downloading to do.

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
FruityPants3*

Nice list, I'll check some of them out. I've just gotten into the xx the last few days and really liking the sound. I think Veckatimest is a bit overrated, the album peaks early with Two Weeks and never seems to recapture that energy. Nice to see someone not have it top 3. MPP is my number one, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs not far behind.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 07:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post
I'm glad someone else loves "Crossing the Rubicon" as much as I do.

Very nice list, I have a lot of downloading to do.
It was self-released, sounds like it in parts, others not, but I think it's around the same quality of their 2nd album, which was a step up from the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Nice list, I'll check some of them out. I've just gotten into the xx the last few days and really liking the sound. I think Veckatimest is a bit overrated, the album peaks early with Two Weeks and never seems to recapture that energy. Nice to see someone not have it top 3. MPP is my number one, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs not far behind.
I had it in my Top 5 for most of the year, but then I just decided I listened to others more and liked them a little bit better, but I don't think that means it was overrated.

Old
01-06-2010, 08:04 AM
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon

I don't know most of those, but I have to say Neko Case has my favorite voice ever. Like, of all time. Seriously.

I waited until a couple weeks ago to get that Animal Collective album. I was put off by a few of their earlier efforts but seeing the constant praise for Merriweather Post Pavillion won me over. Wow am I glad I did. Everything people say about this album is true. A definite masterpiece.

I remember seeing the Raveonettes open for someone years ago. I want to say it was Interpol.

I'm almost ready to get that Camera Obscura album. I've had 'Let's Get Out of This Country' for a while but I rarely listen to it.

Lots of options for me to explore in your post, thanks!

Jack Donaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Shareefruck

Very nice.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Great list, but the Yeah Yeah Yeahs still suck

Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:56 AM
stingo

Thanks for the list. I'm checking out a lot of the tracks you posted.

Well done, sir.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:07 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post
I don't know most of those, but I have to say Neko Case has my favorite voice ever. Like, of all time. Seriously.

I waited until a couple weeks ago to get that Animal Collective album. I was put off by a few of their earlier efforts but seeing the constant praise for Merriweather Post Pavillion won me over. Wow am I glad I did. Everything people say about this album is true. A definite masterpiece.

I remember seeing the Raveonettes open for someone years ago. I want to say it was Interpol.

I'm almost ready to get that Camera Obscura album. I've had 'Let's Get Out of This Country' for a while but I rarely listen to it.

Lots of options for me to explore in your post, thanks!
Raveonettes were pretty good live, just I hope you don't have epilepsy. Also one of the guys in their backing band had a Wu-Tang Clan shirt, I thought that was kinda weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Great list, but the Yeah Yeah Yeahs still suck
I was still surprised how many common albums we had that are common.

Lots of female vocalists too, lots of them very high. I don't know if that's just my taste or what it is. A couple DJ's I talk to made note of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingo View Post
Thanks for the list. I'm checking out a lot of the tracks you posted.

Well done, sir.
Yeah, the alternate tracks I linked are just because one of BML or Cerebral already put it up.

If anyone likes what they hear from East Hundred (and I think Au Revoir Simone too, just off the top of my head), their albums are for sure streaming on their websites. Not sure about all of these though.

Old
01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Here's the top 100 songs and 20 albums list from the radio station I listen to. Some of the songs will be on 2010 albums

Top 100 Songs of 2009

100. Editors - Papillon - In This Light And On This Evening
99. The Raveonettes - Last Dance - In And Out Of Control
98. Matt And Kim - Lessons Learned - Grand
97. The Thermals - Now We Can See - Now We Can See
96. Spoon - Got Nuffin - Got Nuffin (single)
95. The Big Pink - Dominos - A Brief History Of Love
94. St. Vincent - Actor Out Of Work - Actor
93. Noisettes - Never Forget You - Wild Young Hearts
92. Drink Up Buttercup - Even Think - Born And Thrown On A Hook
91. Green Day - Know Your Enemy - 21st Century Breakdown
90. Portugal The Man - People Say - The Satanic Satanist
89. Death Cab For Cutie - Little Bribes - The Open Door EP
88. Yo La Tengo - Nothing To Hide - Popular Songs
87. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Young Adult Friction - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart
86. The Flaming Lips - Silver Trembling Hands - Embryonic
85. Florence + The Machine - Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up) - Lungs
84. Cursive - From The Hips - Mama, I'm Swollen
83. Morrissey - I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris - Years Of Refusal
82. M.I.A. - O... Saya - Slumdog Millionaire Soundtrack
81. East Hundred - Plus Minus - Passenger
80. Julian Casablancas - 11th Dimension - Phrazes For The Young
79. Sea Wolf - Wicked Blood - White Water, White Bloom
78. Cold War Kids - Audience - Behave Yourself EP
77. PJ Harvey & John Parish - Black Hearted Love - A Woman A Man Walked By
76. Yeasayer - Ambling Alp - Odd Blood
75. Band Of Skulls - I Know What I Am - Baby Darling Doll Faced Honey
74. U2 - Magnificent - No Line On The Horizon
73. Thom Yorke - Hearing Damage - The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack
72. Dinosaur Jr - I Want You To Know - Farm
71. Sonic Youth - Sacred Trickster - The Eternal
70. Doves - Kingdom Of Rust - Kingdom Of Rust
69. The Temper Trap - Sweet Disposition – Conditions
68. Lily Allen – Not Fair - It's Not Me, It's You
67. Art Brut - DC Comics And Chocolate Milkshake - Art Brut Vs. Satan
66. Arctic Monkeys - Cornerstone - Humbug
65. Brand New - At The Bottom - Daisy
64. The Gaslight Anthem - Great Expectations - The '59 Sound
63. Them Crooked Vultures - New Fang - Them Crooked Vultures
62. Ida Maria - Oh My God - Fortress Round My Heart
61. Miike Snow - Animal - Miike Snow
60. eels - Fresh Blood - Hombre Lobo: 12 Songs Of Desire
59. Depeche Mode - Wrong - Sounds Of The Universe
58. Wilco - Wilco (The Song) - Wilco (The Album)
57. Modest Mouse - Satellite Skin - No One's First And You're Next
56. Illinois - Hang On - The Adventures Of Kid Catastrophe
55. Vampire Weekend - Cousins - Contra
54. Ra Ra Riot - Can You Tell - The Rhumb Line
53. Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over - Lungs
52. Franz Ferdinand - Ulysses - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
51. Flight Of The Conchords - Hurt Feelings - I Told You I Was Freaky
50. Gomez - Airstream Driver - A New Tide
49. White Rabbits - Percussion Gun - It's Frightening
48. M. Ward – Never Had Nobody Like You – Hold Time
47. Silversun Pickups - Substitution - Swoon
46. Grizzly Bear - While You Wait For The Others - Veckatimest
45. The Dead Weather - Treat Me Like Your Mother - Horehound
44. Metric - Gimme Sympathy - Fantasies
43. Wilco - You Never Know - Wilco (The Album)
42. Bell X1 - The Great Defector - Blue Lights On The Runway
41. Tegan And Sara - Hell - Sainthood
40. Foo Fighters - Wheels - Greatest Hits
39. Ida Maria - I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked - Fortress Round My Heart
38. Regina Spektor - Laughing With - Far
37. Green Day - 21 Guns - 21st Century Breakdown
36. Bat For Lashes - Daniel - Two Suns
35. The xx - Crystalised - xx
34. Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros - 40 Day Dream - Up From Below
33. Pearl Jam - Just Breathe - Backspacer
32. Death Cab For Cutie - Grapevine Fires - Narrow Stairs
31. Monsters of Folk - Say Please - Monsters Of Folk
30. Peter Bjorn And John - Nothing To Worry About - Living Thing
29. Arctic Monkeys - Crying Lightning - Humbug
28. Coldplay - Life In Technicolor II - Prospekt's March EP
27. The Killers - Spaceman - Day & Age
26. Kings Of Leon - Notion - Only By The Night
25. Passion Pit - Little Secrets - Manners
24. Camera Obscura - French Navy - My Maudlin Career
23. Radiohead - These Are My Twisted Words - Single
22. Animal Collective - Summertime Clothes - Merriweather Post Pavilion
21. Lily Allen - The Fear - It's Not Me, It's You
20. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll - It's Blitz
19. The Decemberists - The Rake's Song - The Hazards Of Love
18. Dirty Projectors - Stillness Is The Move - Bitte Orca
17. East Hundred - Slow Burning Crimes - Passenger
16. Phoenix - Lisztomania - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
15. Metric - Help I'm Alive - Fantasies
14. Death Cab For Cutie - Meet Me On The Equinox - The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack
13. Pearl Jam - The Fixer - Backspacer
12. Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls - Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
11. Fleet Foxes - Mykonos - Sun Giant EP
10. Passion Pit - The Reeling - Manners
9. Weezer - (If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You - Raditude
8. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Zero - It's Blitz
7. Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody - Only By The Night
6. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks - Veckatimest
5. Matt And Kim - Daylight - Grand
4. Animal Collective - My Girls - Merriweather Post Pavilion
3. Silversun Pickups - Panic Switch - Swoon
2. Muse - Uprising - The Resistance
1. Phoenix - 1901 - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix

See what the Y-Rock deejays picked as their favorite songs of 2009 here.
Best Albums of 2009

1. Phoenix – Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
2. Muse - The Resistance
3. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
5. Silversun Pickups - Swoon
6. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
7. Wilco - Wilco (The Album)
8. Passion Pit - Manners
9. The Decemberists – The Hazards Of Love
10. Pearl Jam - Backspacer
11. (tie) Flaming Lips - Embryonic
11. (tie) Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
13. Metric - Fantasies
14. Franz Ferdinand – Tonight: Franz Ferdinand
15. (tie) Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk
15. (tie) Weezer - Raditude
17. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
18. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
19. The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack
20. Regina Spektor - Far

Old
01-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Great list. Personally I would have put Veckatimest and Embryonic higher, but different strokes. Happy that someone though as highly of Merriweather Post Pavilion as me.

Ludicrous Speed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Great list. Personally I would have put Veckatimest and Embryonic higher, but different strokes. Happy that someone though as highly of Merriweather Post Pavilion as me.
By someone, do you mean everyone?

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 08:20 PM
40oz

I see the Twilight Soundtrack is getting alot of praise, but if were talking compilations the Dark Was The Night album was incredible. Some of my favorite songs of the year came from that album.

Yeasayer - Tightrope
The National - So Far Around the Bend
Arcade Fire - Lenin
Beirut - Mimizan
MMJ - El Caporal
New Pornographers - Hey Snow White

All awesome songs.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 05:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
By someone, do you mean everyone?
I don't think I've seen a single person who had it on the list not in the top 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I see the Twilight Soundtrack is getting alot of praise, but if were talking compilations the Dark Was The Night album was incredible. Some of my favorite songs of the year came from that album.

Yeasayer - Tightrope
The National - So Far Around the Bend
Arcade Fire - Lenin
Beirut - Mimizan
MMJ - El Caporal
New Pornographers - Hey Snow White
I just didn't hear as much of it. Y-Rock didn't play it so I didn't get around to it yet.

Last edited by GKJ: 01-08-2010 at 10:55 PM.
Old
01-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I'm surprised you didn't include Muse on your list. Just don't care for them much?

For me, personally, I felt Swoon was easily the best album of 2009. I've heard quite a few of the albums on this list and the other top 100 from the radio station you've posted...and nothing quite sounds like it. Phoenix's album seems to be highly praised, and its good, but doesn't have the same charm, catchiness or diversity that I feel Swoon has.

Resistance would have to be top 3 for me, if only for the 3 part symphony, which is fantastic.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 10:55 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If the list was 60 they'd be on it. It just didn't do a whole lot for me. I was actually listening to it when I was writing part of the list.