HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers ditch practice, hit the green

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-05-2010, 10:44 AM
  #51
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Then you would be wrong. Coaching wasnt the problem. But it was one of the problems. The roster is one. Player development was one. Management is another. Until the last one gets fixed, the other three wont matter. I dont have much hope of it being addressed either.
Did you hear KLowe's interview on Oilers Lunch yesterday? If you were lucky enough to not hear it, it was for the best. I wanted to bust my radio apart listening to that guy like it would somehow affect him.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:50 AM
  #52
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Did you hear KLowe's interview on Oilers Lunch yesterday? If you were lucky enough to not hear it, it was for the best. I wanted to bust my radio apart listening to that guy like it would somehow affect him.
No I didnt. Why bother? Such a heart and soul player, was the only one of that group to come back here, did an admirable job as a coach and gm here until things went bad with Pronger. I knew when that happened it would be at least three years until we would get over it. But we havent even started to recover. We have to wait five more years for Horcoffs contract to expire. He should just admit he isnt the man for the job and retire.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
  #53
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No I didnt. Why bother? Such a heart and soul player, was the only one of that group to come back here, did an admirable job as a coach and gm here until things went bad with Pronger. I knew when that happened it would be at least three years until we would get over it. But we havent even started to recover. We have to wait five more years for Horcoffs contract to expire. He should just admit he isnt the man for the job and retire.
Pretty much but a little gem after Stauffer asked him about makign changes approaching the deadline and KLowe responds saying that this team has roughly 20 games to get things together before they decide whether they(management and owners were alluded to) are buyers or sellers.

He also went on to say that he thinks anything is possible and that JDD has the pedigree to take this team on a run and he backed up his anything can happen garb by saying that this team just recently went on a 5 game winning streak. Guess he forgot about loosing 9 of 10 after that.

How Katz thinks this guy is good for the organization is beyond me. I am actually shocked that Rexall has turned into the franchise it has.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:04 AM
  #54
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Then you would be wrong. Coaching wasnt the problem. But it was one of the problems. The roster is one. Player development was one. Management is another. Until the last one gets fixed, the other three wont matter. I dont have much hope of it being addressed either.

Why are you willing to give Quinn lots of rope after a half season here, and get rid of Tambo after only one more season? Seems to me the GM should be given a longer time period to correct a team, especially this one, given the ludicrous contracts on hand. Sure he could have done some smaller things, but so could have Quinn.

What disturbs me now is the coaches saying they are going to work on fundamentals during this break. Fundamentals? At the halfway point??

A lot of grief has been attributed to prior coaches, etc for over-rating this team last year. This year, Quinn said there was lots of talent on the team at the beginning of the season. Now, apparently not so much. And so bereft of it, that they have to change their system half way through to one more suitable to pluggers.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
  #55
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
What pisses me off most about all this, is managment's hopes that making a coaching change would solve all our ills. They thought this was a decent team going forward. Typically over-rating their players. And their actions throughout the offseason indicate that. Of course, many fans drank the kool-aid and believed that.

Hopefully this season will be enough to finally indicate to them that there needs to be a serious breakdown of what we have here, and what's required. If you change the coaching staff for a fresh start, you better make sure they have some horses to run with. They've put a nicely shingled roof on a house with a crumbling foundation.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:13 AM
  #56
hemskysuncle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
What pisses me off most about all this, is managment's hopes that making a coaching change would solve all our ills. They thought this was a decent team going forward. Typically over-rating their players. And their actions throughout the offseason indicate that. Of course, many fans drank the kool-aid and believed that.

Hopefully this season will be enough to finally indicate to them that there needs to be a serious breakdown of what we have here, and what's required. If you change the coaching staff for a fresh start, you better make sure they have some horses to run with. They've put a nicely shingled roof on a house with a crumbling foundation.
What should piss you off the most is that they got this idea from the fanbase and media

hemskysuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:16 AM
  #57
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
What pisses me off most about all this, is managment's hopes that making a coaching change would solve all our ills. They thought this was a decent team going forward. Typically over-rating their players. And their actions throughout the offseason indicate that. Of course, many fans drank the kool-aid and believed that.

Hopefully this season will be enough to finally indicate to them that there needs to be a serious breakdown of what we have here, and what's required. If you change the coaching staff for a fresh start, you better make sure they have some horses to run with. They've put a nicely shingled roof on a house with a crumbling foundation.
I dont believe they wanted to change the coach, at all. They felt the fans wouldnt stand for one more season of Mact. That is the reason he was let go imo. They knew this team wasnt good enough. Thats why they tried so hard to get Heatley. They dont want to do it the right way by building the team through the draft. We wont see real changes here until the wait list is gone and empty seats start appearing. That is when heads will roll. Until then it is business as usual.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
  #58
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Why are you willing to give Quinn lots of rope after a half season here, and get rid of Tambo after only one more season? Seems to me the GM should be given a longer time period to correct a team, especially this one, given the ludicrous contracts on hand. Sure he could have done some smaller things, but so could have Quinn.

What disturbs me now is the coaches saying they are going to work on fundamentals during this break. Fundamentals? At the halfway point??

A lot of grief has been attributed to prior coaches, etc for over-rating this team last year. This year, Quinn said there was lots of talent on the team at the beginning of the season. Now, apparently not so much. And so bereft of it, that they have to change their system half way through to one more suitable to pluggers.
I differentiate Tambo from Quinn because I associate Tambo with Lowe. Until Lowe is gone, I have no faith that Tambo is autonomous.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:18 AM
  #59
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Watching the complete and utter meltdown on the boards, I have to say, is pretty freakin hilarious.

The amount of fingers pointed in every direction is actually quite amazing.

I'm impressed...

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:23 AM
  #60
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Watching the complete and utter meltdown on the boards, I have to say, is pretty freakin hilarious.

The amount of fingers pointed in every direction is actually quite amazing.

I'm impressed...
No, the impressive thing is it has taken this long. This team has sucked the tea bag for many years. (even in the cup run year we were not good in the reg season). The fan base has given the team way more leeway than they deserve.

Like a lot of fans I want my team to either be really trying to win now or be willing to suffer some real lean years to rebuild with a long term logical plan. Management has failed on both accounts.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
  #61
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
No, the impressive thing is it has taken this long. This team has sucked the tea bag for many years. (even in the cup run year we were not good in the reg season). The fan base has given the team way more leeway than they deserve.

Like a lot of fans I want my team to either be really trying to win now or be willing to suffer some real lean years to rebuild with a long term logical plan. Management has failed on both accounts.
It's one thing to expect accountability/results but it's another thing to do it bordering on hysteria.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:24 AM
  #62
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Watching the complete and utter meltdown on the boards, I have to say, is pretty freakin hilarious.

The amount of fingers pointed in every direction is actually quite amazing.

I'm impressed...
Our team is in last place. They've missed the playoffs the prior three years. Our farm team is in last place - again. Everyone cares, but has different opinions on how to fix the mess.

Not surprising in the least.

Myself, as stated, I'm ticked by what's happened. But if we continue this slide this year and next, and get quality draft picks, then I'll be okay going forward. It is what it is. It's the past buffoonery that's disappointed me.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
  #63
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
It's one thing to expect accountability/results but it's another thing to do it bordering on hysteria.
Hysteria might be a tad too strong, but this is Edmonton, not Carolina or Florida. And thank your lucky stars for that. Sometimes it's a bit over the top, but I wouldn't have it any other way. When the good times come, there will be no better fanbase.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:28 AM
  #64
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I differentiate Tambo from Quinn because I associate Tambo with Lowe. Until Lowe is gone, I have no faith that Tambo is autonomous.

So unlike an earlier thread of yours, when you suggested one of the cornerstones of change would be getting rid of both Lowe and Tambo, how about just getting rid of Lowe then? That's something we can both agree on and live with, I think.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:34 AM
  #65
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So unlike an earlier thread of yours, when you suggested one of the cornerstones of change would be getting rid of both Lowe and Tambo, how about just getting rid of Lowe then? That's something we can both agree on and live with, I think.
Done. But I am wary of Tambo.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:35 AM
  #66
Seedling
Fan level 7?
 
Seedling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,670
vCash: 948
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFreshOil View Post
They've canceled the trip, so what's the big deal? They certainly don't deserve it.
You obviously did not bother to read the article before posting.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:37 AM
  #67
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
So unlike an earlier thread of yours, when you suggested one of the cornerstones of change would be getting rid of both Lowe and Tambo, how about just getting rid of Lowe then? That's something we can both agree on and live with, I think.
I honestly think that the deeper issue that not many people bring up as they are caught up with Lowe and Tambo is Katz. I think the fanboy himself is involved far mroe than many like to admit. His first order of business after taking over the club was approving the extension to Horcoff. Then his second was to get Georges back at that ****** price. Stortini wouldn't even be half the palyer he is today if we had Georges here. sad thing is Stortini is the only Oiler who ahs given a **** over the past two seasons.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
  #68
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Done. But I am wary of Tambo.

As I am, but he deserves the same chances as Quinn.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
  #69
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Then you would be wrong. Coaching wasnt the problem. But it was one of the problems. The roster is one. Player development was one. Management is another. Until the last one gets fixed, the other three wont matter. I dont have much hope of it being addressed either.
That's a pretty different story than was being thrown out last year. I don't think I exaggerate much when after every game there was a Fire MacT thread. I would say that a majority of posters were pointing fingers NOT at player development, NOT at management, but at MacT and only MacT. How many Fire Lowe threads were there last year, as compared to Fire MacT?

For example, from the thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=Quinn (sorry Cloned, not trying to pick on you):

"Basically, the team was a mess under the previous coaching staff the last 2 seasons....
Having a good system, getting rid of bad habits, and trusting in your teammates can make up for a lot of talent deficiencies." was the general consensus on HFboards by many posters.

It seemed overly simplistic and downright scapegoating to blame everything on MacT. I remember that it was Walsher's arguments who convinced me that coaching wasn't the main problem but the lack of talent/"real" NHL players on the roster that was the key problem.

And now the article http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...47451-qmi.html is suggesting that "Simply put, they’ve come to the realization, at least the coaching staff has, that they’re not talented enough to get by on talent. " Maybe we mis-read our skills a little bit,” said Quinn, who knows enough to know that what they’ve been doing isn’t working.

I'm not saying that MacT is the Scotty Bowman of coaches here. I have suggested in the past however, that Scotty Bowman couldn't make this team contenders. And apparently neither can Quinn. Which isn't really Quinn's or MacT's fault.

Compare what we did in the off-season (pick up Khabby, go after Heatley) with what Phoenix (pick up cheap veterans to fill holes) did in the offseason.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 11:44 AM
  #70
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 7,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I honestly think that the deeper issue that not many people bring up as they are caught up with Lowe and Tambo is Katz. I think the fanboy himself is involved far mroe than many like to admit. His first order of business after taking over the club was approving the extension to Horcoff. Then his second was to get Georges back at that ****** price. Stortini wouldn't even be half the palyer he is today if we had Georges here. sad thing is Stortini is the only Oiler who ahs given a **** over the past two seasons.

Someone needs to explain to Katz that the NHL where his Oilers toy reside in, is a cap controlled league. The guys with the most money don't win anymore.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:05 PM
  #71
SlowFreshOil*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
You obviously did not bother to read the article before posting.
Ya I did clown. It mentions how Quinn was the force behind having this canceled and having the mini-camp yadda, yadda, yadda...

I just stated, what's the big deal? They canceled the trip.

Another quality smart ass at HF...

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:07 PM
  #72
The Moose
Registered User
 
The Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Almost automatic improvement. The optimism was unbridled in August. I'd far prefer cheering for a club we can be optimistic about DURING the season.
I think the optimism (and I was silently part of it) was predicated on the idea that the roster is essentially good, and all was needed was a change in philosophy and system. We assumed that all players can and will play as in their "career years". We wanted to get rid of MacT in the hope that a massive rebuild was not necessary and we can become competitive with what we have.

Now it is becoming obvious (to me at least) that by far the biggest reason for our failure is the dead weight we carry around. Sure, injuries dragged us down as well but I don't think they are the main reason for our demise. This team is pretty bad because it has quite a few pretty mediocre players. I think the responsibility now (and in fact always did over the last 6 years) rests more on management's shoulders to improve and rebuild, than on Quinn's. I don't think it is time to fire anybody, but what this management does in the next few months will give us a good indication where this team is heading. I will be pretty pissed off if they "stay the course" and essentially don't do anything at trade deadline.

The Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
  #73
Soli
Moderator
Supervision Required
 
Soli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,156
vCash: 500
Just thinking outloud, but wouldn't mini-training camp be a good time to shuffle the letters around?... talking about the 'C' in particular.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
  #74
S Crumb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
It's one thing to expect accountability/results but it's another thing to do it bordering on hysteria.
Maybe because the people on here are real fans and actually care about the team. I applaud the emotion.

S Crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 12:14 AM
  #75
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
That's a pretty different story than was being thrown out last year. I don't think I exaggerate much when after every game there was a Fire MacT thread. I would say that a majority of posters were pointing fingers NOT at player development, NOT at management, but at MacT and only MacT. How many Fire Lowe threads were there last year, as compared to Fire MacT?

For example, from the thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=Quinn (sorry Cloned, not trying to pick on you):

"Basically, the team was a mess under the previous coaching staff the last 2 seasons....
Having a good system, getting rid of bad habits, and trusting in your teammates can make up for a lot of talent deficiencies." was the general consensus on HFboards by many posters.

It seemed overly simplistic and downright scapegoating to blame everything on MacT. I remember that it was Walsher's arguments who convinced me that coaching wasn't the main problem but the lack of talent/"real" NHL players on the roster that was the key problem.

And now the article http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL...47451-qmi.html is suggesting that "Simply put, they’ve come to the realization, at least the coaching staff has, that they’re not talented enough to get by on talent. " Maybe we mis-read our skills a little bit,” said Quinn, who knows enough to know that what they’ve been doing isn’t working.

I'm not saying that MacT is the Scotty Bowman of coaches here. I have suggested in the past however, that Scotty Bowman couldn't make this team contenders. And apparently neither can Quinn. Which isn't really Quinn's or MacT's fault.

Compare what we did in the off-season (pick up Khabby, go after Heatley) with what Phoenix (pick up cheap veterans to fill holes) did in the offseason.

Great Post!

This team lacks NHLers, period.

Kevin Lowe gutted the depth of this club in the summer of 08, much to the applause of half this board who loved the idea of shoe horning in young prospects and "skill" players and when the team absolutely failed to compete on any level, hateful diatribes were turned on to......MacT?

My greatest fear is this team is going to trade half of the small pocket of capable NHLers it has and then feed us this line this summer "we felt we could move Cogliano for a 2nd because Riley Nash looks ready now"

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.