HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

What would happen if a guy dies?

Old
01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
What would happen if a guy dies?

What would the consequences be if a guy literally pounds the crap out of his opponent i.e he dies?

Has it ever happened?

Just curious...

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Media pressure would pile up and fighting would be banned.

It's pretty simple, really. There is really no arguments in favour of keeping the fights that would convince the general public of their value if someone dies from them during a game.

And the guy who got the other guy killed would most likely serve time in jail for manslaughter.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

If someone died, so would fighting in the NHL. Quickly.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
sweatypickle

"if he dies... he dies...."

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:06 PM
tarlinian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post
What would the consequences be if a guy literally pounds the crap out of his opponent i.e he dies?

Has it ever happened?

Just curious...
I don't really think that's possible. In nearly all fights, it seems like the linesment step in when someone gets the upper hand, forget waiting for someone to have their face pounded until they die.

Generally speaking though, I think it's more likely to see someone die from falling during a fight and cracking their head on the ice.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Frozen Fiend
DOUBLE D

People have died from falling and hitting their head on the ice... just not in the NHL.

Sadly, it's a possibility.

Frozen Fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Ice View Post
People have died from falling and hitting their head on the ice... just not in the NHL.

Sadly, it's a possibility.
Don't tell Bill Masterton's family that though.

To stay on topic, here's what we're looking at happening anyway. The NHL is gradually getting bigger as far as average size of players; the league will carefully re-assess the role of fighting at the point that someone becomes critically injured. We're not talking unconsciousness or a career-ending concussion, we're talking about the intensive care unit or someone in a coma. The NBA used to have fights on a fairly regular basis until the Kermit Washington/Rudy Tomjanovich incident, and it was only in the aftermath that they realized that the amount of force applied by a 7' man punching someone else could easily be fatal.

Me? I'm in favor of keeping players safe, but I do enjoy a good fight. That's why I'm putting together a prototype hockey helmet that I hope can permanently remove the threat of a fatal head injury as a result of on-ice play. There's so much untapped technology out there that can be incorporated into it.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Heat McManus

Don Sanderson

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...anderso-2.html

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post

It's pretty simple, really. There is really no arguments in favour of keeping the fights that would convince the general public of their value if someone dies from them during a game.

And the guy who got the other guy killed would most likely serve time in jail for manslaughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
If someone died, so would fighting in the NHL. Quickly.
Yeah, just like Boxing has stopped because people have died.

Zednik, Malarchuk, and a ref have had their throats cut by skate blades, time to stop using ice and go to rollerblades.

Fights happen in every sport, hockey's the only one that doesn't eject the player and gives only a 5 minute major. You're deluded if you think fighting will ever stop in this game.

01-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Panthers607
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
I don't really think that's possible. In nearly all fights, it seems like the linesment step in when someone gets the upper hand, forget waiting for someone to have their face pounded until they die.

Generally speaking though, I think it's more likely to see someone die from falling during a fight and cracking their head on the ice.
I was more thinking of a real K.O hit to the head.
If the guy already had some kind of brain injury, death could be caused by a single hard hit to the head.

Panthers607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

Zednik, Malarchuk, and a ref have had their throats cut by skate blades, time to stop using ice and go to rollerblades.

Fights happen in every sport, hockey's the only one that doesn't eject the player and gives only a 5 minute major. You're deluded if you think fighting will ever stop in this game.
Because boxing and hockey are the same..? right?

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:54 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:

errrr no buddy, that would not happen...

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:35 AM
vein

Quote:
great argument.

i suppose when a boxer gets his throat sliced by a skate during a fight, skates would be banned in boxing.

vein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlBum View Post
errrr no buddy, that would not happen...
If a hockey player actually punches another player to death during a game it would.

The legal leeway that sports get only goes so far. If you want real world proof of that just look up what happened to Bertuzzi after his infamous sucker punch.

Last edited by Franck: 01-06-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Because boxing and hockey are the same..? right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vein View Post
great argument.

i suppose when a boxer gets his throat sliced by a skate during a fight, skates would be banned in boxing.
Again, you're deluded if you think guys are just going to stop fighting each other. Rule changes due to a death won't stop guys from fighting, same as guys fight in every sport in the world. keep thinking it'll change, though.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 04:47 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Again, you're deluded if you think guys are just going to stop fighting each other. Rule changes due to a death won't stop guys from fighting, same as guys fight in every sport in the world. keep thinking it'll change, though.
I really don't know what to say. If by "fighting" you mean pushing or throwing an errant punch in the heat of the moment, yes there will always be fighting. But if you mean fighting as in two guys dropping the gloves and the referees allowing it to happen, then no, that could very well be eliminated from the game whether you think so or not. All they have to say is 10 game automatic suspension for squaring up and it's done just like that.

DungeonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
I really don't know what to say. If by "fighting" you mean pushing or throwing an errant punch in the heat of the moment, yes there will always be fighting. But if you mean fighting as in two guys dropping the gloves and the referees allowing it to happen, then no, that could very well be eliminated from the game whether you think so or not. All they have to say is 10 game automatic suspension for squaring up and it's done just like that.
See: Basketball, Baseball, and Football. All of them eject and possibly suspend players and yet...there are still fights.

Laus723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:09 PM
salty justice

Quote:
If a guy dies in a fight it will make everyone associated with the league think long and hard about the value and necessity of every given fight.

Jim Vandermeer ended Jonathan Tripp's career a few years ago with a KO that ended up with Tripp's head getting cracked on the ice. Vandermeer's mean streak has been a shell of its former self ever since. After the fight he cooled down and went a long time before he dropped the gloves again.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:27 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty justice View Post
If a guy dies in a fight it will make everyone associated with the league think long and hard about the value and necessity of every given fight.

Jim Vandermeer ended Jonathan Tripp's career a few years ago with a KO that ended up with Tripp's head getting cracked on the ice. Vandermeer's mean streak has been a shell of its former self ever since. After the fight he cooled down and went a long time before he dropped the gloves again.
First off that wasn't Jonathan Tripp, it was Ryan Flinn. And Ryan Flinn is currently in the AHL.

And Jim Vandermeer cooled down his fighting because he got dropped by Derek Boogaard and Chris Simon.

NJDEVILS17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:43 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarFLA View Post

Has it ever happened?

Just curious...
No one is going to die from an NHL fight by someone getting the **** kicked out of them. The linesmen would have the fight broken up immediately once someone is getting destroyed.

If anyone is going to die from a fight, it'll be because they fell a hit their head on the ice. The league has been around for a while and there have been zero deaths from fights.

Old
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM
Rugs by Resch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
"if he dies... he dies...."
Yes. Came here to post this.

Seriously though, I would say if someone dies during a fight, they implement game misconducts if you get tossed and the league would get rid of useless people who only fight.

Rugs by Resch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
That will go over real well with the fans.

Old
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:

Why should we listen to what the media wants? They only follow hockey if something bad happens. It's not like they'll start giving hockey the attention that the NFL gets if fighting is eliminated.

Everyone who fights knows or should know the dangers that go with fighting (not just in the NHL, but in any fight sanctioned or not sanctioned in general).

And the winner of the death fight would most likely not go to jail unless his intentions were to pile drive his head into the ice.

Old
01-06-2010, 10:13 PM
stugotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVILS17 View Post
Why should we listen to what the media wants? They only follow hockey if something bad happens. It's not like they'll start giving hockey the attention that the NFL gets if fighting is eliminated.

Everyone who fights knows or should know the dangers that go with fighting (not just in the NHL, but in any fight sanctioned or not sanctioned in general).

And the winner of the death fight would most likely not go to jail unless his intentions were to pile drive his head into the ice.
That's the problem, the media shouldn't be involved in this, but there are a lot of people just waiting for something to happen so they can petition and get fighting eliminated.

My stance on the subject is let the players decide. They're the ones doing the fighting and playing the game. If they feel fighting is too dangerous and want it eliminated that is the only way I see it as a good reason to get rid of it. Soccer mom's should have no say.

stugotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:21 PM
NJDEVILS17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
That's the problem, the media shouldn't be involved in this, but there are a lot of people just waiting for something to happen so they can petition and get fighting eliminated.

My stance on the subject is let the players decide. They're the ones doing the fighting and playing the game. If they feel fighting is too dangerous and want it eliminated that is the only way I see it as a good reason to get rid of it. Soccer mom's should have no say.
I agree 100% with that. The players are the ones fighting. If they like it and want it then it shouldn't be taken away from them.