HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

What would happen if a guy dies?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2010, 10:12 AM
  #26
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,895
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
See: Basketball, Baseball, and Football. All of them eject and possibly suspend players and yet...there are still fights.
Sure, but that's completely different than the fighting in hockey. Are you really comparing hockey fights with guys pushing each other in football or slapping each other in basketball? When people talk about eliminating fighting from the game, they're talking about eliminating the one-on-one, boxing-type bouts. Eliminating the "staged" bouts. Doing away with the notion that it's okay to stop a game, watch two guys punch each other, and then move on as if nothing happened. Obviously there will always be violence in sports, regardless of the penalties associated, but it wouldn't be that hard to do away with traditional hockey fights.

FWIW, I do not support attempting to remove traditional fighting from the game. But were the league to attempt to do so, I don't think it would be that difficult.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 11:08 AM
  #27
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome
 
MeowLeafs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baconland
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
If a hockey player actually punches another player to death during a game it would.

The legal leeway that sports get only goes so far. If you want real world proof of that just look up what happened to Bertuzzi after his infamous sucker punch.
Oh. Well we're looking at this from different angles. If it was something like Bertuzzi...then sure, he'll be in teouble with the law. But if it's something like just a regular hockey fight, except this time the player falls and hits his head hard enough to die (VERY possible, and has already happened in a lower league), then no, there will ABSOLUTELY be no legal consequences.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 06:52 PM
  #28
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28,125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
That's the problem, the media shouldn't be involved in this, but there are a lot of people just waiting for something to happen so they can petition and get fighting eliminated.
Including some on this board. You know. The "kinder and gentler" types.

My stance on the subject is let the players decide. They're the ones doing the fighting and playing the game. If they feel fighting is too dangerous and want it eliminated that is the only way I see it as a good reason to get rid of it. Soccer mom's should have no say.[/QUOTE]



Exactly. If one wants his broomball league to play by certain rules, fine. Just stop confusing it with the NHL. The idea of some fat-ass internet blogger, slobbering his third hot dog in the press box, dictating the way the game should be hyper-manipulated and further emasculated, is insufferable.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
  #29
Laus723
Future Now
 
Laus723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 27,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Sure, but that's completely different than the fighting in hockey. Are you really comparing hockey fights with guys pushing each other in football or slapping each other in basketball? When people talk about eliminating fighting from the game, they're talking about eliminating the one-on-one, boxing-type bouts. Eliminating the "staged" bouts. Doing away with the notion that it's okay to stop a game, watch two guys punch each other, and then move on as if nothing happened. Obviously there will always be violence in sports, regardless of the penalties associated, but it wouldn't be that hard to do away with traditional hockey fights.

FWIW, I do not support attempting to remove traditional fighting from the game. But were the league to attempt to do so, I don't think it would be that difficult.
I'm talking about the bench clearing brawls that happen often enough in baseball and at times basketball, and there have been some really good fights in football, not just slapfests.

My point is that no matter what, guys will fight. Whatever they want to see happen, it literally cracks me up that the pacifists are waiting for someone to die (hoping, really) because they think everyone will just be angels. It doesn't happen. my point in bringing up boxing is that even though there have been deaths, little has changed in the sport, if anything. There's only so much you can do, sure, but that fact still remains.

__________________
So you're saying there's a chance!
Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:46 PM
  #30
SiouxPride
Registered User
 
SiouxPride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WINNIPEG!
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Only way i see it being seriious ( and no, i wouldnt think ti was a joke if he fell and hit his head and died, ) but if say a brawl happens and the guy is down he jsut contineus to get pummeld till hes done.

I beleive this happend alot in in hockey, older, like WHA stuff and around then. And that video of Brashear pounding the guys face in when he was down.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
  #31
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,465
vCash: 500
If that happened, the linesman and refs in that game would be fired. They should step in well before a player's critical health comes into play. I imagine that player's teammates would get involved as well.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
  #32
MontrealHabitant
Registered User
 
MontrealHabitant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,840
vCash: 500
hum what, it only takes one well ( actually i should say not well) placed punch to kill somebody.

It only takes 1.

MontrealHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 06:05 PM
  #33
Deadbolt401
 
Deadbolt401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,125
vCash: 500
Fighting would go down, then come back, like always.

The Fighter would be in no trouble whatsoever.

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 08:13 PM
  #34
jcbio11
Registered User
 
jcbio11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, just like Boxing has stopped because people have died.

Zednik, Malarchuk, and a ref have had their throats cut by skate blades, time to stop using ice and go to rollerblades.

Fights happen in every sport, hockey's the only one that doesn't eject the player and gives only a 5 minute major. You're deluded if you think fighting will ever stop in this game.
Wrong, hockey Canada and hockey USA does that, everywhere else and during international competitions you're kicked out of the game.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:22 PM
  #35
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,455
vCash: 500
No more fighting in hockeys? Won't happen.

As much fighting in hockey as in other professional contact sports (aside from Boxing obviously)?: It's pretty much inevitable. It's not the "pacifists" who are waiting for an accident to happen, it's the league who need a good excuse to bend the NHLPA's arm and shake up the traditions.

Remove the "stage" fighting and by 2 or 3 year I bet everybody has already forget about it.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
  #36
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 15,859
vCash: 500
As tragic as it may be that a players dies in a fight, how would that be any different if say Peyton Manning died because 2 guys CLEANLY tackled him. Does the NFL switch it to flag football? NO! Fighting is a part of the game. Anytime you are taking blows to the head either it be in a sport or fighting on the street anything can happen. Although the linesman do a fairly good job when it comes to "regulating" fights on the ice.

__________________
Homeland Security is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
  #37
kinggelato
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I'm talking about the bench clearing brawls that happen often enough in baseball and at times basketball, and there have been some really good fights in football, not just slapfests.

My point is that no matter what, guys will fight. Whatever they want to see happen, it literally cracks me up that the pacifists are waiting for someone to die (hoping, really) because they think everyone will just be angels. It doesn't happen. my point in bringing up boxing is that even though there have been deaths, little has changed in the sport, if anything. There's only so much you can do, sure, but that fact still remains.
Facts contradict this. The reason why there is so much fighting in the NHL is because its relatively minor punishment to those involved. On any given night there is at least one probably 5 fights somewhere in the league. The same cannot be said for Baseball, Basketball or Football. In fact there are probably more fights in one week of hockey than there are the whole year in football. If rules don't contain fighting, then explain the Olympics or the effect the instigator rule has had?
Don't misunderstand I don't want fighting banned, but there is a direct correlation between the type of punishment handed down to how much fighting there is.

kinggelato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2010, 03:03 PM
  #38
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,895
vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
As tragic as it may be that a players dies in a fight, how would that be any different if say Peyton Manning died because 2 guys CLEANLY tackled him. Does the NFL switch it to flag football? NO! Fighting is a part of the game. Anytime you are taking blows to the head either it be in a sport or fighting on the street anything can happen. Although the linesman do a fairly good job when it comes to "regulating" fights on the ice.
But tackling is an integral part of the game of football. You can't play the game without tackling. Whereas fighting isn't integral to the sport. You could do away with it and the game would go on. I don't see that as an apples-to-apples comparison.

And again, I'm not advocating for ending "staged" fights in hockey. I love them. But I do think a death would put a stop to it and I don't think it would be that tough to end.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.