Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2009, 02:06 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Mid Season Review

The Good:

1. The new guys have all met or exceeded their expectations. Tri-GMs Waddell/Dudley/Kovalchuk have had a great off-season.

2. PK unit. They have dropped off a little lately but without their outstanding success earlier in the season, this team wouldn't be in the playoff hunt.

3. Offense and PP unit. They have done remarkable well despite the slumps of 3 members of the top 6: Kozlov-White-Little. Thrashers also had a nice streak earlier in the season for consecutive goals in games by a defenseman.

The Bad:

1. The opposition shots on goal is a major concern. There has been little signs of improvement during the year and eventually the teams defenseman and goaltending will tire due to over workload. JA needs to change things up and incorporate more help from his forwards. If it means reigning back the attack the all costs approach which means the offense takes a hit then so be it.

2. Kovalchuk contract situation. This needs to be resolved by February 1. If the two parties can't compromise on a deal before then, Waddell needs to engage the other GMs about trading Kovalchuk for 2 weeks before the olympics break, then use the olympics break to mull over which team has made the best offer and then make the deal first week of March.

3. Little White Russian. What has happened to this line? How could you lose some much chemistry last season to struggle so much this season. All three players are projected to not break 40 points thus far. All three need a huge 2nd half of the season.

Hopes for 2010 (and advice how this team can make the playoffs):

1. Don Waddell should resign. I don't think the ownership has the balls to fire him but DW should step down after 10 seasons regardless on whether he successfully signs Kovalchuk or not. The team needs some fresh blood in the executive office and has already a ready made replacement in Rick Dudley waiting in the wings. Hopefully Waddell has enough sense to realize that he has left the organization in good shape - Kane, Little, Bogosian, Enstrom, Pavelec are exciting talents but it is time for a new direction.

2. Goaltending has been solid this season. Hedberg has bounced back after a poor few seasons and Pavelec has shown he can be an NHL goaltender but I think it is time that the team spent big $ on a reliable no 1 goaltender in the offseason. Hedberg and Lehtonen should be released due to age and health concerns and there is a few capable no 1s on the upcoming market to target including Hillier, Mason, Nabokov and Turco.

3. The teams offensive is definitely playoff caliber, especially if Kozlov-White-Little have a better 2nd half of the season which is expected. The defense is the best in thrashers history but the mix isn't quite right yet. 4 offensive minded players Enstrom, Bogosian, Kubina and Hainsey against two defensive minded players Schubert and Valabik, the team could use another defensive minded players to balance out the pairings. Ron Hainsey is probably the odd man out. He is doing a good job for the team blocking shots and on the PK but it is not his natural role. He has gone from last season being on the teams no 1 PP unit to no PP time at all this season. I like to see him traded for a defensive defenseman. I made a proposal on the trades board sending him back to Columbus for Mike Commodore whom has a similar cap hit.

This team is not far away from being a regular playoff team (assuming Kovalchuk stays). One move on defense and maybe a healthy Lehtonen in the 2nd half could be all the team needs this season to make the playoffs. Lets Go Thrashers!

Old
12-29-2009, 07:15 AM
Boognish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz View Post
Hopes for 2010 (and advice how this team can make the playoffs):

1. Don Waddell should resign. I don't think the ownership has the balls to fire him but DW should step down after 10 seasons regardless on whether he successfully signs Kovalchuk or not. The team needs some fresh blood in the executive office and has already a ready made replacement in Rick Dudley waiting in the wings. Hopefully Waddell has enough sense to realize that he has left the organization in good shape - Kane, Little, Bogosian, Enstrom, Pavelec are exciting talents but it is time for a new direction.
You realize this is a ridiculous comment, right? In this economy, NOBODY is going to walk away from an executive job with having secured another one. Besides, He's finally gotten this team turned around after the 8 years of ownership musical chairs that has hamstrung this team and it's management.

Old
12-29-2009, 08:37 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

IMO The Olympic year schedule has doomed this team . When we were playing a couple of games a week, we couldn't wait for the next one. Guys were fresh and had jump, there were checks being made, and the goalies were fresh.

The team is already wearing down now. There is no physical play and the small guys are being owned all over the ice.

Once the games started piling up, 4 per week, one day off, etc., the physical play stopped, Bogosian looks like a tired teenager, Kane's been beaten down, Kubina is slower and the mental edge is gone from the guys that can't afford lapses (White, Hainsey, Peverley).

Slava picked up some slack when the schedule got compacted, but he's showing the effect now too. Armstrong had his little bump in production -- gone now.

Anderson has run the 4th line out more in the past couple of games and Reasoner has produced. It's time for Afinogenov and Peverley to start scoring again and maybe the team can chug through to the Olympic Break.

Only 4 points separates 7th from 14th so the Thrashers aren't the only team looking for answers. The Rangers benched Wade Redden and his 6 million dollar contract, right before snapping off a 4 game win streak. Halak suddenly got hot for Montreal and he won 4 straight. Washington has given up a ton of goals lately and got blown out in Carolina last night.

We were fortunate to start the season well instead of spending the first half looking up like in years past. If they can stay close until the break, get some rest, maybe pull off a deal for another big body......THAT'S MY DREAM!!!

Last edited by ThrasherMinion: 12-29-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old
12-29-2009, 09:49 AM
GetPucksDeep

real eastern standings

W L O PP
27 9 1 121.9 NEW JERSEY
24 9 6 113.5 WASHINGTON
23 11 4 107.9 BUFFALO
26 12 1 111.4 PITTSBURGH
19 12 7 97.1 BOSTON
20 15 4 92.5 OTTAWA
18 16 4 86.3 ATLANTA
18 16 4 86.3 NY RANGERS
19 19 3 82.0 MONTREAL
18 18 2 82.0 PHILADELPHIA
15 15 9 82.0 TAMPA BAY
16 17 7 79.9 FLORIDA
15 18 7 75.8 NY ISLANDERS
14 17 9 75.8 TORONTO
10 22 7 56.8 CAROLINA

Old
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

mmmm...no, the actual standings are these:

it's possibile to easily jump over Montreal. The games in hand are there, but we've squandered some already. Montreal got back Markov and Hamrlik and are on an upswing. We don't have the points until we win. But here's hoping!

Old
12-29-2009, 08:37 PM
ArVeeDee

At least we're in the playoffs. I think you all remember where we've been at this point in past seasons. I'm satisfied with the first half given our history.

Old
12-30-2009, 01:38 AM
PHYS251

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky17 View Post
IMO The Olympic year schedule has doomed this team . When we were playing a couple of games a week, we couldn't wait for the next one. Guys were fresh and had jump, there were checks being made, and the goalies were fresh.
I have heard that this Olympics will be the last that the NHL sets aside time to participate in. At first I thought this was a bit of a silly request by the NHLPA, but now I'm beginning to see their point. I mean really, few people in the US care for the Olympics like we used to.

I got worried when I saw that the schedule went from easy-to-hard in terms of days off. If there's a shift, you want it to go hard-to-easy. That way the players can get the bad part of the schedule out of the way while relatively fresh, and as they wear down, the workload gets easier.

Looking at our upcoming schedule, January looks okay, but March looks brutal. SEVENTEEN GAMES in March?? Thank god all but 5 of them are at home...

Old
12-30-2009, 07:14 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArVeeDee View Post
At least we're in the playoffs. I think you all remember where we've been at this point in past seasons. I'm satisfied with the first half given our history.
I agree with this...I know it's hard to grasp because of this funk lately, but if they can pull themselves together the second half (which they've done before), we are for certain playoff bound

Old
01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Shameus

OK, finally have some clarity to post my thoughts on the season.

What has worked:
Kubina-been a steadying force on defense, it will be a big loss if the team is unable to keep him.
Enstrom-becoming a defenseman the franchise will be able to depend on for a decade or better.
Antropov-first it was his assists, now it is his goal scoring. He is chipping in on offense how ever is needed and is playing responsible in his own end.
Secondary scoring for the first quarter of the season. (Pevs & Max)
Goal tending for the first quarter of the season. (Pavs & Moose)
Shoes-has been a dependable 3rd pairing defenseman.

What hasn't worked:
Everything in the second quarter of the season.
Goal tending for the second quarter of the season. (Neither even has a .900 save percentage)
No secondary scoring in the second quarter. Pevs and Max have both seen their form dip.
Little is having the traditional sophmore slump, which is hurting the team for secondary scoring. He is still talented though, just got stop trying to hard.
Kovy and his contract situation. It has had a very negative impact on the team.
The FA exodus that could ensue and is another elephant in the room if Kovy is dealt.

Old
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
Little is having the traditional sophmore slump, which is hurting the team for secondary scoring. He is still talented though, just got stop trying to hard.
Is it traditional for a player to have a sophomore slump in his third season? He played 48 games for the Thrashers in 07-08.

Old
01-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
Is it traditional for a player to have a sophomore slump in his third season? He played 48 games for the Thrashers in 07-08.
It's his second full season, he was up and down in 07-08. He has/had a lot to live up to after last season. He could be feeling the stress of living up to that, and that fact that he hasn't is probably adding more stress. I would expect that playing under that much stress would have an impact on just about any body. It's amazing what a little confidence can do for a person.

Old
01-05-2010, 02:40 PM
GetPucksDeep

Technically, Bogo and Pavs are sophomores too. So it's a triple sophomore slump.

Old
01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
Technically, Bogo and Pavs are sophomores too. So it's a triple sophomore slump.
I would agree with that. Bogo has been no where near as effective as last season. And Pevs after a hot start has seen his production rate drop off.

Old
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Tonight Peverley was working his butt off while Kozlov and Little were busy getting covered or missing passes and shots if they happened to get open out of luck.

Last edited by Shameus: 01-06-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Not allowed to "Fix" posts
Old
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Shameus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxostoma Rufum View Post
Tonight Peverley was working his butt off while Kozlov and Little were busy getting covered or missing passes and shots if they happened to get open out of luck.
I agree that Pevs is not being helped by Little, trying too hard, and Kozlov, coasting and showing age. Putting him back with Kane would help, they have some chemistry. Wonder what he and Max could do together?

Closed Thread