HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kreider vs Schroeder

Old
01-09-2010, 01:30 PM
AmericanDream
Wakey Wakey Davey!!

vCash: 500
not getting into the whole debate thing, as both players are solid prospects.

Chris Kreider is probably the guy that impressed me the most of the two. The only reason I say that is I didn't know what to expect from him, where Schroeder i have seen his game for awhile now, and you pretty much know what you got with him.

Kreider reminds me of a young Billy Guerin...not sure if it has been said on here yet or not, but the kid is a power forward in the making, who can actually fly.

And those of you who never saw Guerin when he was young, trust me when I say he could move for his size. In Fact I believe he won a few fastest skater contests at the NHL All-Star game a few years back as well.

When you can skate and shoot the way Kreider does, and come in over 6'2, the sky is the limit for this kid.

Not sure who to compare Schroeder with yet, as there are probably half a dozen guys that would make a good comparision. I don't think anyone can be down on either of these two kids, both should be NHLers in a few years.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
I don't think Kreider wen't down, I think he was picked right where he should be if you are going by CSS and ISS.

I don't know how many times I have to say it, but Schroeder does not have an attitude problem, the nucks did special testing on him, the results were great, so they drafted him, if he had a problem that they did not like they would not have taken him, the other teams most likely did not have the same advances as the nucks, so they did not know better.
Please, don't be one people who base everything they see from CSS and ISS ranking. There are intangibles to everything. In fact, if you go find CSS and ISS, and ask them about it. They'll say that Krieder could be a sleeper base on his competition. The fact that he played in high school, isn't going to get him over guys that are doing well in the OHL.

Do you know Jordan Schroeder personally? to say that? There's nothing wrong with having a attitude problem at the age of 18. He's a kid, it's understandable but it'll be a question if he doesn't competes. He isn't doing it right now with the Gophers, nor did he do it with the Team USA in world juniors. We've seen his offensive skills, there's nothing bad about it. Throwing hits, that's fine. Yes, he's been on the PK, as well. No biggie, but did you actually see him battle for the puck in the corners, boards consistently? I think that definitely questions his character. This guy, albeit 5'8/5'9, is the USA leading scorer in world junior history, you would expect much more. Schroeder looked disinterested. The guy didn't play up to his potential, and he could have had more effort.

Rey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Scouter

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Please, don't be one people who base everything they see from CSS and ISS ranking. There are intangibles to everything. In fact, if you go find CSS and ISS, and ask them about it. They'll say that Krieder could be a sleeper base on his competition. The fact that he played in high school, isn't going to get him over guys that are doing well in the OHL.

Do you know Jordan Schroeder personally? to say that? There's nothing wrong with having a attitude problem at the age of 18. He's a kid, it's understandable but it'll be a question if he doesn't competes. He isn't doing it right now with the Gophers, nor did he do it with the Team USA in world juniors. We've seen his offensive skills, there's nothing bad about it. Throwing hits, that's fine. Yes, he's been on the PK, as well. No biggie, but did you actually see him battle for the puck in the corners, boards consistently? I think that definitely questions his character. This guy, albeit 5'8/5'9, is the USA leading scorer in world junior history, you would expect much more. Schroeder looked disinterested. The guy didn't play up to his potential, and he could have had more effort.
I don't base it on them, I was saying IF you based Kreider on those scouting services then he wen't in the draft where he was supposed to, you say that he fell, I would like to know then why you think that, cause he was a sleeper?

No I don't know Schroeder, but I don't have to, like I said the nucks know him better than anyone, they would not be dumb enough to take him if he had a big red flag, what other teams misconstrued as an attitude problem, was maybe a positive to the nucks.

This point can be quite disputed, I know that like every player is pretty much expected to go into the boards to win battles these days, but not all of them can or do, the players with the best offensive skills, if they score enough they usually aren't asked to do the dirty work, in Schroeder's case do you really wan't a small guy with perhaps elite offensive skills trying to win board battles, do you think that if you send him to the boards that the team will win more board battles, because I think that they will win less, he is best suited to receiving passes and doing something creative with the puck in my book.

Last edited by Scouter: 01-10-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:59 AM
Scouter

vCash: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
That's probably the dumbest thing I've ever read. Let me guess, a 'special test' showed that you have Trisomy 21?
It's true, here's an article where Gillis talks about the testing that they did on Steve Anthony, he says 'he scored incredibly high on our intelligence testing and our character assessment.' See it talks about the players character, and I'm assuming that Schroeder scored high on it as well, otherwise the nucks would not have taken him.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/P...730/story.html

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
LordsCup*

Kreider AINEC

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:46 PM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordsCup View Post
Kreider AINEC
nice bump

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Rey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK REBEL View Post
nice bump
well, he owned a canuck homers. automatic win

Rey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Mojo Risin*
Burrows #1 fan

Impossible to say right now, because neither has played a season in the NHL.

Mojo Risin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:16 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Kreider is already setting records...

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:18 PM
SiCKNESS

to be fair Kreider is playing on the 1st line.

If Schroeder played with the Sedin's on the 1st line, you guys would be saying the same thing lol. Schroeder will get his shot on the 2nd line next season.

SiCKNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Kreider's success is great but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

NHL'ers played 82 regular season games + X amount of playoff games. Kreider is a rookie who is relatively unknown and has fresh legs and comes right into the playoffs.

Tyler Seguin was scratched for 2 whole series, came in against Tampa, lit them up, had 6 points in the first 2 games against Tampa and then Tampa closed in on him, Canucks did the same and he had 1 assist in the last 11 games.

Pi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Already know what Kreider brings, but I was always weary of picking players with miniscule size in the 1st round. Isn't Schroeder like 5 ft 5? The player has to be exceptional to warrant a selection and this is why I'm not a big fan of him.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:30 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post

If Schroeder played with the Sedin's on the 1st line, you guys would be saying the same thing lol. Schroeder will get his shot on the 2nd line next season.
Actually, he's playing most of the time on the 2nd line with Stepan and Callahan. Once in a while, Tortorella has switched him up to Richards line. His first two goals were set up by Stepan. His 3rd goal was a PP goal set up by Anisimov, his 4th goal was a deflection with the 2nd PP unti, and today's was a deflection off a McDonagh shot. Not seeing the benefit of playing with a 1st line player affecting his production.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:32 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Kreider's success is great but it should be taken with a grain of salt.

NHL'ers played 82 regular season games + X amount of playoff games. Kreider is a rookie who is relatively unknown and has fresh legs and comes right into the playoffs.

Tyler Seguin was scratched for 2 whole series, came in against Tampa, lit them up, had 6 points in the first 2 games against Tampa and then Tampa closed in on him, Canucks did the same and he had 1 assist in the last 11 games.
Taken with a grain of salt and fresh legs? He made the jump straight from college hockey - albeit playing a shorter season, but don't forget that his BC Eagles had a deep (and winning) and no doubt physically taxing NCAA playoff run - to playing pretty often playing on the Rangers top line with some combination of Richards/Gaborik/Callahan/Kreider. Not to mention he had next to no downtime (only about a week or so) between winning the NCAA playoffs to making his NHL debut. Sure, he's unknown, but that's supposed to take away from what he's been doing? That should increase the validity of what he's capable of.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:33 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Actually, he's playing most of the time on the 2nd line with Stepan and Callahan. Once in a while, Tortorella has switched him up to Richards line. His first two goals were set up by Stepan. His 3rd goal was a PP goal set up by Anisimov, his 4th goal was a deflection with the 2nd PP unti, and today's was a deflection off a McDonagh shot. Not seeing the benefit of playing with a 1st line player affecting his production.
So since he scored goals by being set up from Stepan, that means he doesn't see time with our 1st line?

He has, and does, and will spend time playing on our 1st line even though he's not a staple there.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:34 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post
So since he scored goals by being set up from Stepan, that means he doesn't see time with our 1st line?
Brad Richards is not our 1st line center?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by htk30 View Post

He has, and does, and will spend time playing on our 1st line even though he's not a staple there.
He only gets a few shifts on the first line. A better indicator would be his icetime which isn't really first line icetime (though I think Tortorella has been spreading it out a bit in the past few games)

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:53 PM
ck20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He only gets a few shifts on the first line. A better indicator would be his icetime which isn't really first line icetime (though I think Tortorella has been spreading it out a bit in the past few games)
Across his 15 games, Kreider has averaged 13 minutes a game, mainly because of a handful of games where he was used < 6 minutes. In 6 of his 15 games he's seen at least 16 minutes (10/15 were over 10 minutes), topping at 26 and getting around 15-18 minutes. By contrast, Richards (who sees PP time) averages 22:30, Gaborik averages 20:12, and Callahan (who sees PK time) averages 23:53. Hagelin, the usual 3rd on our 1st line, averages 17:07. So I'd say Kreider, for the most part, is seeing 1st line minutes most games.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Bo Knows

Good lord, as soon as a young player starts achieving success the fanbase just becomes unbearable.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:02 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Good lord, as soon as a young player starts achieving success the fanbase just becomes unbearable.
To be fair us Canuck fans were bumping some Hodgson threads in January.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues0307 View Post
I got all excited on draft night when Kreider was still left on the board and the Blues were picking....after the WJC, it's quite depressing that we took Rundblad instead. Hopefully this pick will seem better in the future.
This is such an interesting post. At the time, we had a Blues fan lamenting Kreider not being picked instead of Rundblad. Then Rundblad got traded to the Ottawa Senators and was proclaimed the best prospect in the world by some (including HF, if I remember correctly). Then Rundblad gets traded to Phoenix after not immediately becoming an NHL star, and Tarasenko (who the Blues received for that pick) lights up the KHL and looks like a star in the making. And now Kreider, as a rookie making his first appearance in the NHL in playoff games, looks to be a stud.

The ups and downs of hockey prospects are weird.

Greg02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:53 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Already know what Kreider brings, but I was always weary of picking players with miniscule size in the 1st round. Isn't Schroeder like 5 ft 5? The player has to be exceptional to warrant a selection and this is why I'm not a big fan of him.
He's 5'9, in no way big, but he's not Nathan Gerbe. But he's very strong for his size and he plays bigger than he is. At this point he is more or less a surefire NHL player in the future, he has the skills needed and he has shown the will and ability to improve in his areas of weakness. As the Canucks roster looks like right now, I would not be surprised if he took Keslers spot on the 2nd line to start the season.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:19 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiCKNESS View Post

this is the wrong conclusion, unless you think that Derek Stepan and Ryan Callahan are NY's top line

Kreider pulled a shift or two with Richards and Gaborik when Tortorella was double shifting Chris in game 3 against los diablos.

Maybe next year Kreider laces them up with the top guys but for now Hagelin is drawing in with Brad and Marion

As far as Schroeder playing on the Sedin line I was under the impression that Vancouver needed more Jam which is why LA handled them rather easily this post season.

Kreider provides Skill and Jam

Hopefully Schroeder becomes the next Mark Pavelich

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:34 AM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

I had a wonderful time reading through this thread. Seriously.

Generic User is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:22 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

For all we know, Schroeder makes his NHL debut next season, puts up 10 points in 8 games while Kreider has a 10-game goal drought, and PRESTO.......the tables are turned.

Kreider has been a Godsend for the Rangers this postseason and he's certainly living up to expectations. Schroeder put together a nice season in the AHL but is blocked because the Canucks are a veteran team and like to plug forward holes with veterans.

Right now, Kreider has the advantage.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote