Chiarelli: please don't!

Old
01-06-2010, 05:20 PM
DKH

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Dan, not sure what you are getting at, but I can be pretty dense, so I'm sure there is a point here

For arguments sake, I'd say his four top guys (in no particular order) are probably:

Bradley
Benning
Neely
Sweeney

And I'm sure there are a couple of others I have no clue about and he must get some input from the coaching staff as well? I believe that 3 of the 4 I listed are "player development" guys who have a keen interest in the drafting and developing of young players...so if you are saying that we should not worry because the B's FO has this under control...I agree.
What I was getting at is Benning and Bradley have solid reputations drafting and developing players. They are out watching players for the upcoming draft and probably want more than the 5 picks in this years first two rounds. Unless they fall apart and have to trade in desperation, they likely operate under the assumption that the second round pick they would give for a Ray Whitney for a couple of months could be another Bergeron, Krejci, or Lucic- all second round picks themselves.

I believe they'll maybe package picks to move up if Toronto doesn't deliver high enough pick this year, otherwise I see them using all 5 this year in what is starting to 'sound' quite deep.

My guess is they grab a high end puck moving defenseman early (if the pick is single digits) and move up and get a winger like Nino.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

Whether Boston trades or keeps the picks doesn't really matter. They're lined up for a very nice future.

Thanks Toronto.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Ryder, Wideman = zero value...

Chia: Hi Don, want to trade for Kovalchuk...
Wadell: Still listening...
Chia: i'd like to start with Toronto's 1st round draft pick in '10 and '11
Waddell: that's a good start...
Chia: I'm adding Ryder and Wideman to this deal...
Wadell: Basically, you want me to trade you a game breaker for two 1st round pick and two liability...
Chia: that's a good deal, Don !!!!
Wadell: for you for sure... You get ride of 8 per of salary and got a top 5 forward ( in the entire league )...
Chia: But Don !!!
Wadell: *click*

I guess that's what happend when you offer garbage ( Ryder + Wideman ) for a one of the most dynamic player in the game...
I think your ESPN is off. Mine works, it actually goes down like this:

Waddell: Holy ****, really, done!
Wadell: Yea yea whatever, done done done.
Wadell: I know you stupid Git, no deadline rental has ever returned a top 10 pick let alone a likely top 5... two potential top 5's even.
Chia: Really? Wait a min...
Wadell: Nah uh, I already agreed, you post it and I'll confirm.
Chia: That's what I get for reading HF and listening to *** Latr.... *click*

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

Wadell: I know you stupid Git, no deadline rental has ever returned a top 10 pick let alone a likely top 5... two potential top 5's even.
See your point.. I was just saying that there's no point for Wadell to add 8 per salary for players who are underachiving. He will ask for picks + prospects...

Last edited by Latrappe: 01-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Bruins1733

If you honestly think Wadell is in a position to bargain, then you need to pay attention to what is happening in Atlanta. HE REFUSED 10 MILLION DOLLARS!!

Wadell needs a pick or two and a now player like Ryder or Wheeler in return OR HE WILL BE OUT OF A JOB.

Under normal conditions, Kovy is worth all of the above mentioned names, but Wadell knows that the whole league knows Kovy is gone at years end, and simply put the Bruins can provide the only real player/pick package of any contending team that will be worth it.

The question is NOT whether we CAN get him, but can we and should we pay him long term... depends on what he wants from a better franchise than Atlanta.

Bruins1733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:22 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post

Classic.

The Pens gave up far less for Hossa than the deal LT proposed...and they got Dupuis as well.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but even with Kovalchuk I don't see the B's being anything near a sure thing for the Cup, which is the only way I trade those picks away.

Instead, perhaps the B's should take those 7 picks over the next two years and try to turn them into 3 or 4 impact players they can combine with the young players they already have (Rask, Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Wideman, Bergeron, SOB, Marchand, Colborne, and Caron) and build a team that can actually win several Cups.

If they play their cards right and select the correct impact players, Savard and Chara will still be around to provide leadership and the necessary veteran talent.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diskothek View Post
After seeing the WJC: Fowler > Hall
Is this a joke?

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:28 PM
C77

That Tor 2010 1st is looking more and more like a top 5 . Throw in the 2nd rounder and the 2011 1st for a player the Bruins couldn't afford to pay and that didn't want to play in Boston and I am

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
As fast and talented as Hall is, it seems like he's going to need to put on some weight and do it rather quickly. He looks too thin to make it through an NHL season at this point, but that's ok because he's only 18. I just don't expect that he's going to dominate as a rookie and hope those aren't the expectations placed on him.
David Krejci is 6'0", 177,
Michael Ryder is 6'0", 186
Taylor Hall is 6'1", 185

Hall is plenty big enough and will be an impact player wherever he winds up next year.

Old
01-06-2010, 09:45 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
David Krejci is 6'0", 177,
Michael Ryder is 6'0", 186
Taylor Hall is 6'1", 185

Hall is plenty big enough and will be an impact player wherever he winds up next year.
Let's hope Carolina gets its act together then!

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Bruinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Let's hope Carolina gets its act together then!
Even if they don't folks, let's not forget their is a draft lottery. The Leafs could finish in 26th and we'd still have a shot at #1.

Old
01-07-2010, 01:30 AM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

Quote:
Ryder, Wideman = zero value...

Waddell: that's a good start...
Wadell: Basically, you want me to trade you a game breaker for two 1st round pick and two liability...
Wadell: for you for sure... You get ride of 8 per of salary and got a top 5 forward ( in the entire league )...
Chia: But Don !!!
Wadell: *click*

I guess that's what happend when you offer garbage ( Ryder + Wideman ) for a one of the most dynamic player in the game...
Ryder is a potential 30 goal scorer. Wideman, as much as I don't like him, he has value in alot of people's minds. If you had any sense at all you'd understand that these two need to be in any kind of a deal involving a Re-signed Kovalchuk. Oh wait, you're Latrappe, never mind, I just wasted all that effort typing that up for no reason.

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 05:28 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
Classic.

The Pens gave up far less for Hossa than the deal LT proposed...and they got Dupuis as well.

Anything can happen in the playoffs, but even with Kovalchuk I don't see the B's being anything near a sure thing for the Cup, which is the only way I trade those picks away.

Instead, perhaps the B's should take those 7 picks over the next two years and try to turn them into 3 or 4 impact players they can combine with the young players they already have (Rask, Krejci, Lucic, Wheeler, Wideman, Bergeron, SOB, Marchand, Colborne, and Caron) and build a team that can actually win several Cups.

If they play their cards right and select the correct impact players, Savard and Chara will still be around to provide leadership and the necessary veteran talent.
I agree. We should take a deep breath and see how things will pan out. I guess Chiarelli will fix the upfront, in the offseason, where some money will be available. If the Bruins end up with a top 5 pick in 2010, that's gonna be a very good asset for Chiarelli. I doubt that they will keep all these 7 picks...

Old
01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
Ryder is a potential 30 goal scorer. Wideman, as much as I don't like him, he has value in alot of people's minds. If you had any sense at all you'd understand that these two need to be in any kind of a deal involving a Re-signed Kovalchuk. Oh wait, you're Latrappe, never mind, I just wasted all that effort typing that up for no reason.
It may be nitpicking, but if you word that differently it makes all the difference in the world.

Where you say Ryder is a "potential" 30 goal scorer, many would say he's an "at best" 30 goal scorer, that is if all the circumstances are right (he has a good/career year, gets tons of PP time, has the right type of center he can gel with). With a $4mill price tag, and time still left on the contract beyond this year those details could mean a lot to a potential suitor.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:06 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
I agree. We should take a deep breath and see how things will pan out. I guess Chiarelli will fix the upfront, in the offseason, where some money will be available. If the Bruins end up with a top 5 pick in 2010, that's gonna be a very good asset for Chiarelli. I doubt that they will keep all these 7 picks...
That's why I said he should take those 7 picks and try to turn them into 3 or 4 impact players.

Use three or four picks to trade up and grab guys that will be difference makers in the next few years rather than trade them away for instant gratification and a player like Whitney (as Dan already pointed out).

As much as it pains me to say it, the B's are probably not going to win a Cup this year unless everything falls their way, so don't waste those picks on rental players.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 10:25 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Quote:
That's why I said he should take those 7 picks and try to turn them into 3 or 4 impact players.

Use three or four picks to trade up and grab guys that will be difference makers in the next few years rather than trade them away for instant gratification and a player like Whitney (as Dan already pointed out).

As much as it pains me to say it, the B's are probably not going to win a Cup this year unless everything falls their way, so don't waste those picks on rental players.
The team suffered from injuries who prevent any form of " momentum " so to speak and there's no chemistry ( or very few ) among our offensive lines. That's why, i think, you're dead on about our chances to go deep in the playoffs. There's too many things against it and, overall, our performance on the ice is not good as it was last year.

Old
01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Sorry for my ignorance...

What are the 7 picks?

If we're talking about picks in the first two rounds of the draft do we not have:

2010:
Toronto's 1st
Boston's 1st
Toronto's 2nd
Tampa's 2nd
Boston's 2nd

2011:
Toronto's 1st
Boston's 1st
Minnesota's 2nd
Boston's 2nd

Not to be nitpicky... I hope I'm not coming across like that. I think there may be a chance that there's something here I'm misunderstanding.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote