HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Backyard Rink - My project

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2009, 03:28 PM
  #1
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Backyard Rink - My project

It's my third year making a rink and it seems every season I learn a valuable lessen.
This years is making sure you don't have too much slack in the plastic.
ESPECIALLY if your boards don't reach all the way to the ground.

Because my yard slopes something fierce I had to raise the back boards about 6" off the ground.
But due to this gap between boards and ground, after the water starting filling up, a large sack of water started to form in the plastic and push beyond the boards.
This created a lot of stress on the plastic (which I stapled down to the top of the boards), and eventually the plastic tore free releasing 4 hours of water into my backyard.
Nice.

But I was able to fix it. I took out some of the slack and secured the plastic all along the boards instead of only a few places. (DUH).

I expanded it this year from a measly 16x32 to a slightly less measly rink of 22x48. It's as big as it's going to get because I don't have a very large backyard and I have a giant Oak in the middle of it. If I could convince my wife to let me chop it down, I could have a 50x50 rink. Nice!

I'll have flood lights all around it and I own two decent near NHL-sized metal nets as well.

My boys are only 6 and 3 years old so it's perfect for them right now.
Eventually, I'd love to buy a house with more property but we'll make due.

I'll have to post pics when the ice has completely frozen and I have everything completed.

Anyone else building a rink?
I'd love to hear your stories and/or lessens you've learned over the years.

Cheers!

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:51 PM
  #2
ryangib
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
i'd say tell you wife to beat it, and cut the tree down.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 03:53 PM
  #3
yankeecpt15
Registered User
 
yankeecpt15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: CT
Country: Ireland
Posts: 189
vCash: 500
anything less than 3", i would just roll up newspaper in a plastic bag..once it freezes, ur good to go...bigger than 3" then i would rip a 1x6 and secure it on the inside with screws obviously facing outward

yankeecpt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 04:43 PM
  #4
quesosauce
Registered User
 
quesosauce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,229
vCash: 500
you could transplant the tree elsewhere as a compromise?

that sounds like a lot of work, but then again, so is hockey....

quesosauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:36 PM
  #5
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Good luck on your rink ... I have opted to use the city made rink here as they put goal cages out and maintain the rink well enough.

I made one here in my backyard for three years in a row and finally just realized it was way too much work to maintain it because of the weather mainly.

It seems I worked on it more than played on it .... and then after i was done ... it rained for 2 days and was 60 degrees ruining it. I remade it three times that winter .... I live in Maine and although for the most part winter is more than cold enough sometimes the weather betrays us.

The city rinks use a hydrant and a nice small fire hose .... much better than my feeble little garden hose running from the side of the house.

They also use a trailer rig that holds the hose and the guy sits in his truck and just moves his truck once in a while.

He floods a huge football field sized rink which guarantees several good parts that come out nice.

I would like to see your rink when it is done.

here is how mine came out the year before last, I used lights that are basic all weather construstion lights ....




I put the camera on a puck lol.



It was lit up pretty well.


Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 08:35 AM
  #6
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Very nice rink,Hockeyfan68!

I hear you about the maintenance.
Last year I ran into the same problems. I did far more manicuring than skating because of the climate where we live.

We had cold enough weather here but it snowed so much that even after scraping it off at 5am and then flooding it, it would snow again during the day. So by the time I got home to scrape, there was a thin layer of slush that formed under the blanket of snow.

It was like that all year.
When we finally got some relief from the snow, we'd get hit with 50+ degree weather and everything would turn to mush.
It was a disaster.

But I'm confident this is the year we'll get in at least 4-5 weeks of solid skating. I sure hope so.

My dream is to one day own a property with a large pole barn so I can purchase an artificial rink sold by customrinks (or a company like them).

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 09:58 AM
  #7
wearethegreek
Registered User
 
wearethegreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 358
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
Very nice rink,Hockeyfan68!

I hear you about the maintenance.
Last year I ran into the same problems. I did far more manicuring than skating because of the climate where we live.

We had cold enough weather here but it snowed so much that even after scraping it off at 5am and then flooding it, it would snow again during the day. So by the time I got home to scrape, there was a thin layer of slush that formed under the blanket of snow.

It was like that all year.
When we finally got some relief from the snow, we'd get hit with 50+ degree weather and everything would turn to mush.
It was a disaster.

But I'm confident this is the year we'll get in at least 4-5 weeks of solid skating. I sure hope so.

My dream is to one day own a property with a large pole barn so I can purchase an artificial rink sold by customrinks (or a company like them).
You would pretty much be obligated at that point to invest in an ice resurfacing machine! Start investing now so that by the time the kids are old enough to drive they can learn by Zamboni on dad's rink

wearethegreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 10:45 AM
  #8
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethegreek View Post
You would pretty much be obligated at that point to invest in an ice resurfacing machine! Start investing now so that by the time the kids are old enough to drive they can learn by Zamboni on dad's rink
I'm way ahead of you!
My dad is a Kubota dealer so I'll be making a special order for a tractor and resurfacing implement very soon.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 03:19 PM
  #9
FiveFootZero
Registered User
 
FiveFootZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Central NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Our rink...

24 x 40...my husband used a marine tarp.

FiveFootZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:50 PM
  #10
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFootZero View Post
24 x 40...my husband used a marine tarp.
That's great for little kids!

I bet they would love that.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 11:56 AM
  #11
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveFootZero View Post
24 x 40...my husband used a marine tarp.
Awesome rink!

Mines about the same size.
I wish I could make mine bigger, but last year I had a 16x32 rink and we managed to have a few 2-on-2 games with both my wife and I on the ice along with our young boys.

I think I'm about 48 hours away from skating on my rink. I really wish I had constructed it at the end of November. I'd be skating by now (as is my neighbor).

I'll flood it tonight and test it tomorrow.
I'll also try to get some photo's up here later.

P.S. Not that anyone besides me cares, but I just found out that I might be able to extend my property 1/4 acre. Hello 90x50!!!

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
  #12
TMLFC
Registered abuser
 
TMLFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,027
vCash: 50
We had to take the sacrifice of putting a deck in the back-yard over having a rink in the winter.

so much good times on the little rink when i was younger.

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2009, 01:56 AM
  #13
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
Awesome rink!

Mines about the same size.
I wish I could make mine bigger, but last year I had a 16x32 rink and we managed to have a few 2-on-2 games with both my wife and I on the ice along with our young boys.

I think I'm about 48 hours away from skating on my rink. I really wish I had constructed it at the end of November. I'd be skating by now (as is my neighbor).

I'll flood it tonight and test it tomorrow.
I'll also try to get some photo's up here later.

P.S. Not that anyone besides me cares, but I just found out that I might be able to extend my property 1/4 acre. Hello 90x50!!!
Good luck on the property extension possibility!

I wan to see pics when your ice is done so be sure to come back and post them.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
  #14
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Good luck on the property extension possibility!

I wan to see pics when your ice is done so be sure to come back and post them.
I will for sure. Unfortunately, I learned another hard lessen this year.
I needed to put more stakes down on the back portion. We got a pretty heavy rain the other night and it caused the back boards to buckle and a couple of the stakes sagged because of the weight.
I had to put 4x4's, wedges and more stakes to keep the boards up.
I think it's finally secure now, but it nearly cost me the rink.

The ice is now pretty frozen. It's -7C right now so one more night of that and we're good to go.
I plan on getting out there with my boys tomorrow morning. I can't wait!!!

I'll take some pics and upload them tomorrow - hopefully.

Happy Holidays everyone!

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2009, 06:43 PM
  #15
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
I will for sure. Unfortunately, I learned another hard lessen this year.
I needed to put more stakes down on the back portion. We got a pretty heavy rain the other night and it caused the back boards to buckle and a couple of the stakes sagged because of the weight.
I had to put 4x4's, wedges and more stakes to keep the boards up.
I think it's finally secure now, but it nearly cost me the rink.

The ice is now pretty frozen. It's -7C right now so one more night of that and we're good to go.
I plan on getting out there with my boys tomorrow morning. I can't wait!!!

I'll take some pics and upload them tomorrow - hopefully.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Well that sucks .... I used rebar in 18 inch segments for stakes, only had to pound them in the ground about 8 inches or so.

Hey I am anxious for the outdoor NHL game this weekend in Boston as the forecast is .... *dramatic pause* .... RAIN. Rain is the absolute WORST thing for any rink. Even with refirgeration the rain will build up and make a slushy unskatable mess.

Will they build a small roof on it with tarp material? Who knows! They claim to have every single possibility covered so they must have a rain plan.

Good luck with your rink in any case.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 10:36 PM
  #16
Hockeymom80
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
I too have a rink built on a slope. I put some old carpet under the liner around the boards in the gaps left by the slope.

It worked really well and stopped the liner being sucked out under the boards.

Hockeymom80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 12:33 PM
  #17
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well that sucks .... I used rebar in 18 inch segments for stakes, only had to pound them in the ground about 8 inches or so.

Hey I am anxious for the outdoor NHL game this weekend in Boston as the forecast is .... *dramatic pause* .... RAIN. Rain is the absolute WORST thing for any rink. Even with refirgeration the rain will build up and make a slushy unskatable mess.

Will they build a small roof on it with tarp material? Who knows! They claim to have every single possibility covered so they must have a rain plan.

Good luck with your rink in any case.
Thanks. I got lucky and was able to contain the damage.
It got super cold this weekend (-10 for two days in a row) and it froze everything solid.
We had a great time yesterday. Both boys had a blast.
My 3-year-old even took a number of steps on his own without the skating aid.
Makes it worthwhile for all the headache these rinks are.

EDIT: Some pics of the kids playing on my rink.


Last edited by BogsDiamond: 01-04-2010 at 01:12 PM.
BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM
  #18
TheGooooch
Registered User
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 18,209
vCash: 500
That is really really cool. I may have awesome nice weather ever since I was a kid, but I never had the chance to have an outdoor rink like that.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
  #19
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGooooch View Post
That is really really cool. I may have awesome nice weather ever since I was a kid, but I never had the chance to have an outdoor rink like that.
Thanks!
I just wish I could expand it.
But it's fine for my boys for now.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
  #20
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
Wow, that honestly turned out beautifully. Great work.

For me, next thing I'd put up would be boards behind the net for when I take shots, if you're looking to eventually upgrade.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 01:59 PM
  #21
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 12,782
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Wow that's really nice. Well done

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
  #22
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?
 
BogsDiamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Wow, that honestly turned out beautifully. Great work.

For me, next thing I'd put up would be boards behind the net for when I take shots, if you're looking to eventually upgrade.
That's definitely something I want to do next. My neighbor took the swings off his old swing set and then stapled some netting to it and placed it at one end to catch pucks.
For now, I won't need to because neither of my kids can really lift the puck. Me on the other hand? I think I'd need to add the Green Monster to either side to keep the pucks in play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Wow that's really nice. Well done
Thanks. You can't really tell from the pictures, but on the one picture that's showing the other side, you can tell in the corner where the boards tore apart from one another.
The patch job I had to do was ridiculous.
If there's one thing I really learned this year was that I need to put steaks down every 2-3' and next year I'm going to screw the corner planks together for added strength. The three nails completely tore out of the end board.

P.S. A rink rake does wonders to keep the ice smooth. They're pretty easy to make on your own too. Definitely worth it.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 03:07 PM
  #23
vivianmb
Registered User
 
vivianmb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
That's definitely something I want to do next. My neighbor took the swings off his old swing set and then stapled some netting to it and placed it at one end to catch pucks.
For now, I won't need to because neither of my kids can really lift the puck. Me on the other hand? I think I'd need to add the Green Monster to either side to keep the pucks in play.



Thanks. You can't really tell from the pictures, but on the one picture that's showing the other side, you can tell in the corner where the boards tore apart from one another.
The patch job I had to do was ridiculous.
If there's one thing I really learned this year was that I need to put steaks down every 2-3' and next year I'm going to screw the corner planks together for added strength. The three nails completely tore out of the end board.

P.S. A rink rake does wonders to keep the ice smooth. They're pretty easy to make on your own too. Definitely worth it.
here's what i did. i got some 2" pvc and cut them to 18" lengths.
capped the end, and buried the capped end about 3' apart(just to the surface,embedded in cement). i then got some 1 1/4" rigid steel steel tubing(electrical pipe.)cut them to 54" and put them in the pvc.
i had a 14" deep side so i bought 2x12's and used some 2 hole EMT straps (or clips)arps to secure the 2x12 to he pipes. then built board sections 4'x8'(the size of 3/4 plywood) of 2x6 and 3/4 plywood.i put the boards right on top of the 2x12.
after the boards were built it was SOLID. i covered the seams with white liner from a rink supply.

to protect the liner where it is stapled, get some "kick plates" put them so they are at least 2" below thw water line,but make sure the screws for them are at least 3" above it.
i have the "zamboni " rink rake as well. makes great ice.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
  #24
Hockeyfan68
Registered User
 
Hockeyfan68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lewiston, ME USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
Thanks. I got lucky and was able to contain the damage.
It got super cold this weekend (-10 for two days in a row) and it froze everything solid.
We had a great time yesterday. Both boys had a blast.
My 3-year-old even took a number of steps on his own without the skating aid.
Makes it worthwhile for all the headache these rinks are.

EDIT: Some pics of the kids playing on my rink.
Hey that came out super duper awesome! Nice job man!!! I bet the kids did have a great time on that!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:35 PM
  #25
Nigelbilt
#SavetheGoons
 
Nigelbilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,797
vCash: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Mackey View Post
Thanks. I got lucky and was able to contain the damage.
It got super cold this weekend (-10 for two days in a row) and it froze everything solid.
We had a great time yesterday. Both boys had a blast.
My 3-year-old even took a number of steps on his own without the skating aid.
Makes it worthwhile for all the headache these rinks are.

EDIT: Some pics of the kids playing on my rink.

That is a sweet rink, A LOT better then what i have ever done.

Good job

Nigelbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.