HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emery expects to return Saturday

Old
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Tyskie
#Lehnsanity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Ugh, another back-up returns.
I've followed this guy since the Bingo days. He has skill. Worst move the Sens have made in the past few years and, IMO a good one for Philly.

Should be excited that Emery's on his way back.

Tyskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 10:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 569
Possible roster adjustments:

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...331&feedID=695

Quote:
So what happens to the goalie picture if Emery plays this weekend? Sources say all three will remain here for the time being. That means either Ryan Parent (back injury) goes on injured reserve since he is not due back for two weeks or Mika Pyorala, who has been a healthy scratch eight straight games, including against the Leafs, could go back to the Phantoms since he is on a two-way contract. Sources say the club is going to keep all three goalies until Parent returns. Parent is suspected of having either a bulging disk in his back or a herniated disk. Since he received an injection, that indicates it might to reduce swelling which suggests a bulging disk. The Flyers have yet to say anything. ...

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Kaktus*

No need to rush Emery.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 11:11 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Emery to Phantoms for tonite - Leighton in net.

Boosh has to be odd man out [eventually] i do like the Win & you play attitude the coach has

http://twitter.com/FlyersOnTheFly
Ray Emery has been loaned to the Phantoms for conditioning purposes, and will play in their game tonight. #Flyers
15 minutes ago from Seesmic

RT (@NHLFlyers) Emery will return to the Flyers tomorrow. #Flyers
7 minutes ago from Seesmic

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Of course, we wouldn't have to make any roster adjustments if it weren't for Paul Holmgrem and Randy Jones. However, of those two options I'd rather just send Pyorala down to the Phantoms. I don't like the idea of him rotting in the press box every night and the Phantoms could use the help anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
Emery to Phantoms for tonite - Leighton in net.

Boosh has to be odd man out [eventually] i do like the Win & you play attitude the coach has

http://twitter.com/FlyersOnTheFly
Ray Emery has been loaned to the Phantoms for conditioning purposes, and will play in their game tonight. #Flyers
15 minutes ago from Seesmic

RT (@NHLFlyers) Emery will return to the Flyers tomorrow. #Flyers
7 minutes ago from Seesmic
I do like that attitude personally. Boosh is the odd man out right now because the philosophy of pretty much everyone involved is "ride the hot goalie who's winning". We can avoid playing Boosh right now because he's a backup. Once Emery's back there's no doubt in anyone's mind that he'll be the starter. Like someone said in a Michael Leighton "value of" thread, Leighton needs starts and playing time to keep playing like he has. As soon as he gets demoted to backup and sees much, much less playing time I think he'll cool down a lot. Which leaves him as the odd man out. Not to mention the fact that we have Boosh signed for another year after this one.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Emery is our #1.

no question about it. Leighton as the backup [if I had my choice]. we also save cap space with 49

Old
01-09-2010, 01:35 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Emery is our #1.

no question about it. Leighton as the backup [if I had my choice]. we also save cap space with 49
Obviously Emery is number one, I would hate to see the Flyers lose Booch through waivers because I feel like eventually things will even out and Boosh will play better and Leighton will play worse. But Emery should be able to handle the bulk of the games so either Leighton or Boosh should be ok as a backup.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Scoopyten

Quote:
Emery is our #1.

Cap space is great, but at the same time, that cap space will be gone when Holmgren screws up and tries to recall Boucher after the Leighton bubble bursts.

Scoopyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:12 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Emery let up 2 goals in a 2-1 Phantoms loss to Portland on his conditioning stint.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
Cap space is great, but at the same time, that cap space will be gone when Holmgren screws up and tries to recall Boucher after the Leighton bubble bursts.
a backup's bubble never bursts

Old
01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!

Habs fan here,

Is the team really going to get rid of Leighton or not let him continue to start, even if Emery returns? Seriously?

I've always been somewhat of a fan of Michael Leighton and the way he's playing right now is great. I think he's had, what, 1 bad start for you guys (really his loss, just not on the stats) - but aside from that, he's undeafeated in regulation.

He's earned 15 out of a possible 18 points in games he's started in and has almost single handedly got the Flyers right back into the playoff picture.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Habs fan here,

Is the team really going to get rid of Leighton or not let him continue to start, even if Emery returns? Seriously?

I've always been somewhat of a fan of Michael Leighton and the way he's playing right now is great. I think he's had, what, 1 bad start for you guys (really his loss, just not on the stats) - but aside from that, he's undeafeated in regulation.

He's earned 15 out of a possible 18 points in games he's started in and has almost single handedly got the Flyers right back into the playoff picture.
Emery is better & will be the #1. Leighton will backup if I had my way. he's gotten a bit fortunate, but has looked more sound than Boucher

Old
01-10-2010, 11:33 AM
Sanders418777

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Habs fan here,

If the defense plays as well in front of Emery as they do in front of Leighton... Emery is going to look like a snub for the Canadien olympic team.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:08 PM
widespreadpanic

Leighton

Long time reader- this is my first post. I personally don't think that M. Leighton should be pulled to start Emery in the near future for a few reasons. First, Emery is back some 11 days sooner than he was supposed to be. The Flyers have a tendency to rush players back who then seem to get re-injured almost immediately. In some article Emery was quoted as saying something along the lines that he thought Mcrossin was pushing him too hard but he went with it and now he feels well enough to play (read: still playing through pain). Second, Micheal Leighton is playing the best hockey of his career, and as we have all seen with the Redwings use of Osgood in recent years, a team stacked with forward and defensive talent doesn't need an allstar caliber goalie to win games, just someone who is competent and who wont make bad plays. While I havent watched every second of every game ML has played in, it seems that he is just this- a competent goalie who is winning us games while the rest of the team does its job. While Im not calling for Micheal Leighton to be our fulltime starter, why not ride him til his hotstreak ends, or until he shows the team that he needs a rest? The guy has never been given a shot for a starting job, and with his first shot he's really doing great. I think keeping him in would prevent Emery from rushing back out and reinjuring himself, and while winning the flyers some games in the process.

widespreadpanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
mypunkrock

I hope they give Emery another week off.

With the way we're playing, you need to be conservative with injuries. We all know something will happen near the end of the regular season.

Send Pyorala down, he's definitely capable of getting a scoring touch back in the AHL, which is good for him and this team.

I just don't want Ray coming back ahead of schedule when we've dealt more than adequately with his absence.

Regards,
Rick

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM
fire bettman

Leighton has been great for us lately, Boosh has not. Emery is, for sure, our #1.

I think Leighton falls under that category of goalies who will play very well if the team in front of him is playing well but can be very fragile if the defense breaks down in front of him. Emery is the kind of goalie who, if in "the zone" can steal games for the Flyers. I can remember games that we'd win earlier on in the season and saying "If Emery didn't play so well, we would have definitely lost that one".

But that is why Emery is our #1. And with the way Leighton is playing, how could we not want him as our (incredibly cheap) backup???? I don't understand why everyone is so sure Leighton can't keep up some solid goaltending. He's pretty young and has never quite gotten this chance before, being tossed from team to team. Maybe he's gotten comfortable with this team... I mean look at Tim Thomas and how terrible everyone thought he was until he got a chance.

Emery= #1
Leighton= Backup

Boosh= ??????

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
Leighton has been great for us lately, Boosh has not. Emery is, for sure, our #1.

I think Leighton falls under that category of goalies who will play very well if the team in front of him is playing well but can be very fragile if the defense breaks down in front of him. Emery is the kind of goalie who, if in "the zone" can steal games for the Flyers. I can remember games that we'd win earlier on in the season and saying "If Emery didn't play so well, we would have definitely lost that one".

But that is why Emery is our #1. And with the way Leighton is playing, how could we not want him as our (incredibly cheap) backup???? I don't understand why everyone is so sure Leighton can't keep up some solid goaltending. He's pretty young and has never quite gotten this chance before, being tossed from team to team. Maybe he's gotten comfortable with this team... I mean look at Tim Thomas and how terrible everyone thought he was until he got a chance.

Emery= #1
Leighton= Backup

Boosh= ??????
Boosh = waivers

Emery is definitely the number 1 (admitted even by Leighton after last night's game), but I really like what I have seen out of Leights and I don't see any reason why his play cannot continue as is or even get better. It may just be that he finally found a goalie coach that he can relate to.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:39 PM
jmtznr0th

Not to burst the Leighton parade, but does everyone forget how Boosh played for us when we were slumping? He was the only reason we were IN any of those games, it was just a shame that our offense couldn't help him out. I still think Boosh is a better "backup" than Leighton. Like someone else mentioned it seems like Leighton needs starts in order to succeed and I just don't see that happening when Emery returns.

jmtznr0th is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Boosh = waivers

Emery is definitely the number 1 (admitted even by Leighton after last night's game), but I really like what I have seen out of Leights and I don't see any reason why his play cannot continue as is or even get better. It may just be that he finally found a goalie coach that he can relate to.
Leighton is having a nice little run...but lets not jump to conclusions. His rebound control is atrocious, and he gets all over the place in the net with some frequency...there's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere, and it isn't just a goalie coach issue.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post
Not to burst the Leighton parade, but does everyone forget how Boosh played for us when we were slumping? He was the only reason we were IN any of those games, it was just a shame that our offense couldn't help him out. I still think Boosh is a better "backup" than Leighton. Like someone else mentioned it seems like Leighton needs starts in order to succeed and I just don't see that happening when Emery returns.
Yep, Boucher did a decent job filling in and is fine as a NHL backup. Outside of a few games here, Leighton has looked awful at the NHL level.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtznr0th View Post
I was just about to post this. The Leighton love fest is getting stupid. He has the advantage of a team getting their **** together. Boucher had to play during the coach firing and subsequent slump where the Flyers couldn't beat an AHL team. Not his fault. He's the back-up I want heading towards the playoffs without question.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Leighton is having a nice little run...but lets not jump to conclusions. His rebound control is atrocious, and he gets all over the place in the net with some frequency...there's a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere, and it isn't just a goalie coach issue.
This.

I thank Leighton for all he's done for us in his short period of time here, and then give him the opportunity somewhere else.

Emery and Boucher are our goalies with good reason.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 05:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Boucher played fine, but the team couldnt score. I dont really care who the backup is, they are both mediocre

Laliberte for Calder

Leighton for Veznia

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Thank ****ing god. I've been trying to be pretty diplomatic in saying this. The sad fact is, Leighton sucks. Sure, he's been extremely lucky and has played out of his mind but, I mean, ****... the guy is a ****ing scrub. When his stats start to normalize... look out.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 06:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
I wouldnt mind waiving Leighton and having him play for the phantoms. hes a great AHL goalie.

**** Grahame

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote