HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Q&A with Ben Blood

Old
01-09-2010, 10:25 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Q&A with Ben Blood

Ben Blood is blossoming as a sophomore at the University of North Dakota. The

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Jerk Store*
Classless

I'm not very familiar with Ben Blood (but I've been a big fan of his name). Can anyone enlighten me a bit on him? Does he even stand a chance of ever making it to the NHL?

And if so, what can we expect?

Thanks for the article

Jerk Store* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 12:27 AM
sfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerk Store View Post
I'm not very familiar with Ben Blood (but I've been a big fan of his name). Can anyone enlighten me a bit on him? Does he even stand a chance of ever making it to the NHL?

And if so, what can we expect?

Thanks for the article
Ben Blood is a freaking BEAST. He's very physical. Big hitter. Not an offenseive d-man, but he has the offensive skills to put up points if he needs to... he's more concerned with his play in his own zone. If he keeps improving the areas of his game that need improvement at the same pace he did from his freshman year to this year, he may have a chance to make it to the NHL. I'm not saying it's a for sure thing. But he's made massive improvements since last year, so if that keeps up, he has a shot. He needs to decrease some of the penalties he takes. I think he'll finish his college career at NoDak and see how he develops, and that seems to be going fine.

sfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:02 AM
Csonked Out

vCash: 674
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfo View Post
Ben Blood is a freaking BEAST. He's very physical. Big hitter. Not an offenseive d-man, but he has the offensive skills to put up points if he needs to... he's more concerned with his play in his own zone. If he keeps improving the areas of his game that need improvement at the same pace he did from his freshman year to this year, he may have a chance to make it to the NHL. I'm not saying it's a for sure thing. But he's made massive improvements since last year, so if that keeps up, he has a shot. He needs to decrease some of the penalties he takes. I think he'll finish his college career at NoDak and see how he develops, and that seems to be going fine.
He is turning into a strong shut down defenseman. He has a decent first pass and a fairly heavy shot from the point, both of which were non-existent last year, but he is definately a defensive defenseman. He has good foot work and is very sound defensively and the kid loves to hit. He is the defensive rock right now for UND and will be leaned upon heavily the rest of the year as he is taking over the #1 role of our reigning defensive player of the year Chay Genoway. If his development continues on course for the rest of the year he is a definite flight risk after the season is over. You guys got a steal of a player for a 4th round pick!

Csonked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Niv
Registered Hater

vCash: 50
I know nothing about the guy, but I would love to have someone with the name "Blood" guarding our blue line in the future

Niv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 08:32 AM
DJB

vCash: 6000
Potential bottom pairing defenceman ala Carkner imo...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Sens Mile

Second year, just curious for those that are educate on the CBA, As a 2007 draft pick in NCAA how long does Ottawa contain his draft rights? It looks like in the Hockeydb he played another year of junior before NCAA so are his negotiation rights changed. Will Ottawa be able to allow him to develop in the NCAA for all four years or will they have to sign him to play with the B Senators within the next year to two years?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 02:59 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Second year, just curious for those that are educate on the CBA, As a 2007 draft pick in NCAA how long does Ottawa contain his draft rights? It looks like in the Hockeydb he played another year of junior before NCAA so are his negotiation rights changed. Will Ottawa be able to allow him to develop in the NCAA for all four years or will they have to sign him to play with the B Senators within the next year to two years?
Since he's NCAA, have rights till he's done school. Then must be signed by June 1st of the year he finishes. (Date could be wrong)

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
Since he's NCAA, have rights till he's done school. Then must be signed by June 1st of the year he finishes. (Date could be wrong)
The extra year in junior will not change anything? If not perfect, more time to develop

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
The extra year in junior will not change anything? If not perfect, more time to develop
Changes nothing

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
It's August 15th after his senior year (e.g. 2012).

I hope to add to my Sens jersey collection with the home red jersey "BLOOD".

He's certainly receiving rave reviews for the level of improvement he's shown in this his sophomore season.

Methot Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 03:54 PM
Jerk Store*
Classless

Sounds like he plays a Bieksa type game. Correct?

Jerk Store* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2010, 04:34 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Who plays a meaner, more physical game: Blood or Gryba?

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote