HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

One and Done :)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Shadowtron

vCash: 500
One and Done :)

I wonder if all those Islander fans who were so eager to inform us that Icehole playoff tickets were on sale are going to be just as eager to inform us that they were knocked out in the first again? Hmmm...for some reason, I don't think they will.

On behalf of the New York Rangers...welcome to the links. Barely had time to dust our clubs off. Tee off's at 9 am

:gman:

Old
04-16-2004, 10:02 PM
Profet

They sure built one hell of a playoff team...

i crack myself up.

Old
04-16-2004, 10:33 PM
gkrangers

They played 5 more games than us.

They lost 4 of them.

I'm not so upset about getting the #6 overall pick...

Old
04-16-2004, 10:35 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Another one and done playoff run

When was the last time the Islanders actually did anything in the playoffs anyway? As much as they love to remind us how long 7 years is, remind them of the last time they won a playoff round and all of a sudden it "doesn't matter".

Great stuff.

:gman: :lol

Old
04-16-2004, 11:48 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
bummer

Old
04-16-2004, 11:52 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Makes you wonder who is more bullet-proof Sather or Millbury.

04-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Staalwart

not only did they lose in five, but they were shut out it three :lol as said before ill take the 6th overall over that playoff showing anyday.

Old
04-17-2004, 12:58 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Fan
Another one and done playoff run

When was the last time the Islanders actually did anything in the playoffs anyway? As much as they love to remind us how long 7 years is, remind them of the last time they won a playoff round and all of a sudden it "doesn't matter".

Great stuff.

:gman: :lol

Yeah I loved the "Make the Playoffs" chant. I laughed and shook my head. This is the same team tha hasn't won a round since 92-93. Hope they didn't get hurt patting themselves on the back...being first round fodder is nothing to be proud of.

Old
04-17-2004, 01:08 AM
Barnaby

If they didn't have Dipietro they would be in worse shape the us.... thats saying something...

Old
04-17-2004, 01:27 AM
NYR2

Ah man, this whole thread is cracking me up. :lol

Karma, it's a funny thing. Will they ever learn?

#6...looking oh so much better tonight.

:gman:

Old
04-17-2004, 01:42 AM
Barnaby

Good thing they got Cashin Yashin....

Old
04-17-2004, 07:06 AM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
Good thing they got Cashin Yashin....
They got Yashin for another 5 years at 8 mill per year.

Old
04-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Fletch

I think I would've enjoyed...

winning a playoff game, to be honest with you. Yeah, they won only one more game than the Rangers after the season ended, but it was a much more enjoyable season to watch. Further, there is some promise there. While I believe Dipietro wasn't stellar, he's looking better and better and may up being a decent #1 goaltender for them for years to come. Congrats to the 'Bolts by the way. They get to sit back and watch the rest of the crew beat the crap outta each other.

Old
04-17-2004, 08:09 AM
vbox81

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
They got Yashin for another 5 years at 8 mill per year.
Yeah, but we got Holik at that salary....

Old
04-17-2004, 10:29 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
winning a playoff game, to be honest with you. Yeah, they won only one more game than the Rangers after the season ended, but it was a much more enjoyable season to watch. Further, there is some promise there. While I believe Dipietro wasn't stellar, he's looking better and better and may up being a decent #1 goaltender for them for years to come. Congrats to the 'Bolts by the way. They get to sit back and watch the rest of the crew beat the crap outta each other.
Ultimately, I agree. This thread isn't really about kicking them when they're down. That's not my style. But as NYR2 said, it's karma. I just wanted to stick it to those <expletive> that thought it was cute rubbing their playoff appearance in our faces. Where are these guys now?

Old
04-17-2004, 10:47 AM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
It's absolutely worth it to me to miss the playoffs and go for the ultimate goal of rebuilding. Even had we made it to the second round with this year's original team it would have fallen apart quickly because of age and fragile players... and lazy players. Anyhow, I'm glad we are getting it out of the way now so we can get back on the right track... hopefully.

Old
04-17-2004, 11:04 AM
EtnoEastern

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Couldn´t have said it better myself.

Old
04-17-2004, 11:14 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Yea, but not for 7 more years....

Old
04-17-2004, 11:22 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:

At least Holik is worth something to his team. I've enjoyed watching him play these last two seasons. In MY OPINION he's been one of the few enjoyable aspects this season and last.

Old
04-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
just to hear holiks postgame rants and commentary is worth all the cash thrown his way :lol

Old
04-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
I think DiPietro has played real well down the stretch and will be a pretty good #1 keeper, but to think they got rid of Luongo and passed on Heatley to get DiPietro????

BAD MOVES. I'd be pissed if I was a fishstick fan.

Old
04-20-2004, 08:44 AM
303Joe

I'm an Isles fan always on the board...

and never said anything about playoff tickets. Bottom line the isles deserved to lose the last 2 playoff series as they were outplayed. Last year vs Ottawa was awful and the only reason they made it was because the rangers were just as bad down the stech and the Isles had a lead before falling apart and winning 5 of the last 22 games i believe. This year the Lightning top players showed up and the isles top players didn't once again and thus has to be a major concern. The Lightning also jumped on every isles mistake from the game 4 giveaway by Jonsson and the Aucoin pinch that resulted in a 2 on 1 goal and the final game in OT when jonsson failed to get the puck St. Louis. I'm not upset w/ what happen 3 yrs ago vs the Leafs as it was a great 7 game series. Sure the Isles have some problems. But some postives came out of the season DiPietro showed he belongs in the NHL as he played well in the playoffs yes he lost but also had no goal support. Hunter had a good rookie year w/ 25 goals, the Tin Man Kvasha had 60 points but he along w/ the other Tin Man yashin did noithing. They still have a good d in place and soem younger d men coming up in Brno Gervias, Ryan Caldwell and Tomi Pettinen.
With this said you guys should not be making fun of a team getting knocked out in the 1st round for 3 years. You're team showed absolutly nothing down the strech with many youngster getting plenty of playing time and doing nothign with it. The great jamie Lundmark was a no show for the last 30 despite getting plenety f chances to do something, Josef Balej had a goal or two but nothing else. One postive was Tutin who although made a mistake or two which is expected for a young player especially a d man. But you goaltending is still in shambles w/ a big ? mark on Blackburn, and I'm sure you saw enough of Dunham who only seemed to win vs the isles. Sure the isles have some problems but the Rangers problems are much worse sure you got some Ok prospects in the trades and have #6 pick this year anlong w/a bunch of picks in the 2nd round. But you guys know these picks are a crap shoot what did Sather say before the season that 50% of all 1st round picks don;t make it to the NHL. Just because you looking to rebuild doesn't mean going to happen quickly of it happens at all. Good luck in the offseason.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:38 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
and never said anything about playoff tickets. Bottom line the isles deserved to lose the last 2 playoff series as they were outplayed. Last year vs Ottawa was awful and the only reason they made it was because the rangers were just as bad down the stech and the Isles had a lead before falling apart and winning 5 of the last 22 games i believe. This year the Lightning top players showed up and the isles top players didn't once again and thus has to be a major concern. The Lightning also jumped on every isles mistake from the game 4 giveaway by Jonsson and the Aucoin pinch that resulted in a 2 on 1 goal and the final game in OT when jonsson failed to get the puck St. Louis. I'm not upset w/ what happen 3 yrs ago vs the Leafs as it was a great 7 game series. Sure the Isles have some problems. But some postives came out of the season DiPietro showed he belongs in the NHL as he played well in the playoffs yes he lost but also had no goal support. Hunter had a good rookie year w/ 25 goals, the Tin Man Kvasha had 60 points but he along w/ the other Tin Man yashin did noithing. They still have a good d in place and soem younger d men coming up in Brno Gervias, Ryan Caldwell and Tomi Pettinen.
With this said you guys should not be making fun of a team getting knocked out in the 1st round for 3 years. You're team showed absolutly nothing down the strech with many youngster getting plenty of playing time and doing nothign with it. The great jamie Lundmark was a no show for the last 30 despite getting plenety f chances to do something, Josef Balej had a goal or two but nothing else. One postive was Tutin who although made a mistake or two which is expected for a young player especially a d man. But you goaltending is still in shambles w/ a big ? mark on Blackburn, and I'm sure you saw enough of Dunham who only seemed to win vs the isles. Sure the isles have some problems but the Rangers problems are much worse sure you got some Ok prospects in the trades and have #6 pick this year anlong w/a bunch of picks in the 2nd round. But you guys know these picks are a crap shoot what did Sather say before the season that 50% of all 1st round picks don;t make it to the NHL. Just because you looking to rebuild doesn't mean going to happen quickly of it happens at all. Good luck in the offseason.
Joe, you are unlike some of the Isle trolls who came here at season's end. And, granted we have our share of exported trolls. Yes, many Ranger fans take solace in watching the Islanders and Devils bow out quickly. As for your attempt to throw ice water on the optimism that many of us a re finally feeling after seeing this team actually approach a rebuild, well, sounds like a bit of sour grapes. To pick Lundmark out as the example of why this rebuild might be doomed to fail is missing the point. Balej, Tyutin, Pock and Murray all showed various glimpses ofd promise. And, the overall depth of the organization was greatly improved. No one pick in this upcoming draft will determine the outcome of this franchise. Amonte, Weight and Richter were all 2nd round picks; Elias was a 2nd round pick, and Bryan McCabe was taken in the third round. This organization needs to do its homework in order to be succesful.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:54 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Joe
Come on Joe. There is a difference between having an anti-Islander thread here and going to the Islanders board to talk trash (I don't agree with the latter). With that said, the Islanders proved several things this season IMO:

- This team is not going much further as they are currently constructed. And I'm not sure how that is going to change for, as MM often points out, there is little financial flexibility. And Yashin's contrat actually goes up to 10.2M next season.

- DiPietro proved that he is a good NHL goalie. I happen to think his biggest enemy will be himself as he strays from the net too much and he needs to stay in the net more. The best example of this was the second TB goal in game 7.

- Peca will be another year older and the way he plays, he is older than his years.

- And to your point about Hunter, Kvasha et al: Hunter will need to prove that he can do it for more than one season. Kvasha appears to be the consumate underachiever. And, IMO, if you are going to point to Gervias, Caldwell and Pettinen, Ranger fans are more than justified to hang their hopes on Tytutin, Pock, Kondratiev, and even Rachunek.

- Lastly, is there really that much of a difference between missing the playoffs and bowing out in the first round? I'm not sure.

Old
04-20-2004, 09:58 AM
303Joe

I understand you take solace..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Joe, you are unlike some of the Isle trolls who came here at season's end. And, granted we have our share of exported trolls. Yes, many Ranger fans take solace in watching the Islanders and Devils bow out quickly. As for your attempt to throw ice water on the optimism that many of us a re finally feeling after seeing this team actually approach a rebuild, well, sounds like a bit of sour grapes. To pick Lundmark out as the example of why this rebuild might be doomed to fail is missing the point. Balej, Tyutin, Pock and Murray all showed various glimpses ofd promise. And, the overall depth of the organization was greatly improved. No one pick in this upcoming draft will determine the outcome of this franchise. Amonte, Weight and Richter were all 2nd round picks; Elias was a 2nd round pick, and Bryan McCabe was taken in the third round. This organization needs to do its homework in order to be succesful.
in watching the Isles lose and I understand this is a Rangers board. I just pointed out becuase a rebuild is starting doesn't mean its going to work. yes it may but it also may not work that will be answered in several years. I noted Tyutin as looking good in the strech but also noted Lundmark did nothing with all the playing time he got. He got a few points in the last few games but there was a strech of no points in 22 or 23 games. Thats not good for a players they are relying on. As for the other guys Murray and Balej thime will tell Murray seems more like a 3rd line winger and Balej will have to develop.

Closed Thread