HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Winter Classic

Old
01-01-2009, 01:42 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
OT: The Winter Classic

Anyone else watching this? Lots of fun - you can tell that the players really enjoy it. Can't wait to see it at the new Yankee Stadium next year.

A thought as regards the play I've watched and the Rangers: the PPs for both teams were great to watch. And the biggest difference I've noticed between their play and that of the Rangers? Honestly, it's not that much about skill or size - it's confidence, plain and simple.

I mean, getting Gomez to dump the puck when 3 guys converge on him at the blue line would help too, but in terms of the way the team plays once they set up in the zone what they don't have that these two teams have is a sense of confidence and purpose in their play. I'm not saying that we would be as successful as these teams are, because we don't have the talent up front, but it would make a world of difference if they simply made crisper, more decisive plays.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:46 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Anyone else watching this? Lots of fun - you can tell that the players really enjoy it. Can't wait to see it at the new Yankee Stadium next year.

A thought as regards the play I've watched and the Rangers: the PPs for both teams were great to watch. And the biggest difference I've noticed between their play and that of the Rangers? Honestly, it's not that much about skill or size - it's confidence, plain and simple.

I mean, getting Gomez to dump the puck when 3 guys converge on him at the blue line would help too, but in terms of the way the team plays once they set up in the zone what they don't have that these two teams have is a sense of confidence and purpose in their play. I'm not saying that we would be as successful as these teams are, because we don't have the talent up front, but it would make a world of difference if they simply made crisper, more decisive plays.
this is so awesome...

that being said, the Rangers better be watching and paying attention to how these two teams play.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Blue Regime

I'm watching it. Both teams' powerplays put the Rangers' to shame.

Blue Regime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Both teams are also much more effective around the net than the Rangers are. If you give up a big rebound to either of these teams, chances are they are going to make you pay for it. The Rangers, on the other hand, have problems putting rebounds in the net.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:09 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Both teams are also much more effective around the net than the Rangers are. If you give up a big rebound to either of these teams, chances are they are going to make you pay for it. The Rangers, on the other hand, have problems putting rebounds in the net.
Yep, seems like the only one getting garbage goals in Prucha... a whole 2 of them. Rebound and garbage goals should be a decent amount of GF, but not for the Rangers apparently.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:20 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

This game is great. Wish it was really snowing.

Tomorrow they have open skate at Wrigley. So cool. This is a homerun for the NHL.

I would LOVE to see this happen next year at Yankee stadium.

01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
czechmate25

Rangers vs Bruins at Yankee Stadium! The Winter Classic is awesome.

Why did they sing the Canadian national anthem before this game? It reminded me of Mystery, Alaska.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
D713B

Quote:
Can't wait to see it at the new Yankee Stadium next year.
When was that confirmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Why did they sing the Canadian national anthem before this game?
Just a little pomp and circumstance probably.

D713B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Rangers Forever

Send a message via AIM to Rangers Forever
I would die if it were at Yankee Stadium next year and I were able to get tickets. This is so cool.

Rangers Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:27 PM
bubba5

Game looks terrible on a baseball field, needs to be at Giants stadium. I know it wont happen because you don't know if there will be NFL playoff games (Giants and yes even the Jets are posible.) I bet the view from most of the lower seats are terible.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Rangers Forever

Send a message via AIM to Rangers Forever
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Game looks terrible on a baseball field, needs to be at Giants stadium. I know it wont happen because you don't know if there will be NFL playoff games (Giants and yes even the Jets are posible.) I bet the view from most of the lower seats are terible.
I was thinking more than the Outfield seats would be awful.

Rangers Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:33 PM
zaius

damn detroit is turning it on now. bettman has to be happy this is a semi-balanced high scoring game.

zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:35 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
Detroit turned their game on, they've been tearing ass the entire third period.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:48 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Pretty well played game, good pace and a great first half. Would love to see the Hawks come back in this one and make it a game.

High scoring- exactly what the NHL wants this time around IMO.

Anyway, ill be the first in line when New York has one of these, i really hope its next year. Its a really special event.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I think it looks pretty cool in Wrigley.

If it was the new Giants/JEts Stadium, that would be sick... but the new Yankee Stadium or central park would be great.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:56 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

It could possibly be the final sports game at Giants stadium if next year the Giants and Jets fail to host a home playoff game. I do think it's better suited in a football stadium for logistical reasons, the shape of the rink compared to the field and the sightlines, plus Giants stadium holds about 30,000 more people than the new yankee stadium

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
It could possibly be the final sports game at Giants stadium if next year the Giants and Jets fail to host a home playoff game. I do think it's better suited in a football stadium for logistical reasons, the shape of the rink compared to the field and the sightlines, plus Giants stadium holds about 30,000 more people than the new yankee stadium
Giants Stadium is in NJ though, which would be kind of weird to host an event for a NYC based team IMO.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:01 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
Disagree - because a hockey rink is so much smaller than either a baseball field or a football field, you're going to have to position the rink up against one set of stands in either kind of arena, despite the fact that the general shape more resembles that of a football arena.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:04 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Winter Classic at Citi Field?

ooooohoohoohohoho no no

just thought id put that thought out there. An event as special as this should not be held in a venue that has sold it's naming rights to a corporate sponsor.

Ralph Wilson Stadium
Wrigley Field
Giants/Yankee Stadium?

Old
01-01-2009, 03:15 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Disagree - because a hockey rink is so much smaller than either a baseball field or a football field, you're going to have to position the rink up against one set of stands in either kind of arena, despite the fact that the general shape more resembles that of a football arena.
I do not think that is what they did in Buffalo or Edmonton. I think they pretty much put it in the middle of the field. I could be wrong but just going of memory.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by D713B View Post
When was that confirmed?
It's not, but everyone knows we'll get one sooner or later. As soon as this one was announced there was a quote from Bettman or Daly saying just that.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:26 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
I do not think that is what they did in Buffalo or Edmonton. I think they pretty much put it in the middle of the field. I could be wrong but just going of memory.
It was, from about the 15 to 15 yard line centered between the 2 sidelines. a football stadium has full 360degree coverage of the ice. The front row seats are usually about 5-10 feet above the playing field, which would make up for the boards along the rink. On a baseball field the front row seats are on level with the grass so its very hard to see the ice.

Old
01-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
It's not, but everyone knows we'll get one sooner or later. As soon as this one was announced there was a quote from Bettman or Daly saying just that.
The reason we didn't get one this year is because of the winterization in the pipes at the old stadium. The City didn't want to be held responsible if anything bad happens with the pipes, or something close to that. We will get it next year.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 04:37 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I'm a huge fan of these things. I pray we get it next year. I would love to see Rangers Devils in Giants Stadium...sick!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 04:40 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I'm a huge fan of these things. I pray we get it next year. I would love to see Rangers Devils in Giants Stadium...sick!
If the Rangers do get to be in the game, I see it as being between them and the Bruins either at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote