HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues (17-18-6) at Sharks (27-9-7) Jan 6, 2010

Old
01-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Agreed, Berglund has been playing better than I've seen in a long time. In fact, the whole team looks much better overall. They've given up a lot of shots, but not many were very good quality chances. The Blues are doing a good job of keeping the Sharks from screening Mason, so he sees the shots the whole way.
Still needs to get stronger and gain some intensity though. But good to see him more engaged.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Why is Sydor playing?

Old
01-06-2010, 11:48 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Heatley negates the PK

Old
01-06-2010, 11:53 PM
butteredtoast

Blues got away with one there

butteredtoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:54 PM
MissouriBlues2008

I've got a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2010, 11:59 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
Spending the great majority of the time in our own zone in the 3rd period is not a good recipe for wins. I really hope Payne has some sort of answer for this problem that has been going on all year.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Too many Blues watching!!

Old
01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
MissouriBlues2008

Well, what else can you ask out of Mason?

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:05 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Brad Boyes once again looks like he does not want to play... even in OT.

Hey Brad, Andy can't do everything!

Old
01-07-2010, 12:09 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Can't see the game, stupid work but according to TSN gamestats we are rocking the faceoff circle, is that the case? McClemment eats faceoffs like hungry hungry hippos.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Stang

Disappointing ending to the game...especially since I stayed up this late when I have to work early (again). There were quite a few positives to take from this game but trying to sit on a 1 goal lead isn't gonna fly

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:14 AM
fcpremix88

vCash: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post

If Polak wasn't playing forward maybe Boyes wouldn't have tried defense. Just terrible decision-making by all four of the Blues in OT.

fcpremix88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:15 AM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post

Blaming Brad for that and not Andy McDonald is completely unfair to Boyes. Boyes could not catch Heatly peroid the only thing he could have done would have been give Heatley a penalty shot. Polak was the only one that had the speed on the ice and he had too much distance to cover.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
EOM

The ice times were pretty interesting from tonight. It looks like Payne was leaving heavily on the top three lines. Everyone on the top three lines got at least 17 minutes, except Berglund who got 16 (which is still good). The fourth line of Janssen/Armstrong/Winchester got 3/6/10 minutes, respectively. People may complain about the checking line of Steen/McClement/Crombeen getting at least 17 minutes each, but I'm ok with it as long as our skilled players are getting time as well.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:46 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Blaming Brad for that and not Andy McDonald is completely unfair to Boyes. Boyes could not catch Heatly peroid the only thing he could have done would have been give Heatley a penalty shot. Polak was the only one that had the speed on the ice and he had too much distance to cover.
Not blaming Boyes for that goal at all. Jackman should have been on his horse. He got caught watching.

I am more referring to Brad's inability to play with any drive or sense of urgency.

Oshie seemed to be off tonight. I hope he is able to start turning strong defensive plays into points soon.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:46 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
The ice times were pretty interesting from tonight. It looks like Payne was leaving heavily on the top three lines. Everyone on the top three lines got at least 17 minutes, except Berglund who got 16 (which is still good). The fourth line of Janssen/Armstrong/Winchester got 3/6/10 minutes, respectively. People may complain about the checking line of Steen/McClement/Crombeen getting at least 17 minutes each, but I'm ok with it as long as our skilled players are getting time as well.
17 minutes is fine for that line, IMO and in particular for McClemment when he is winning as many faceoffs as he is, it was just when he was getting over 20 and other forwards were hovering around 12-15 something didn't quite ring right, at least to me.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcpremix88 View Post
If Polak wasn't playing forward maybe Boyes wouldn't have tried defense. Just terrible decision-making by all four of the Blues in OT.
I think they were really caught trying to over think passes for sure.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
17 minutes is fine for that line, IMO and in particular for McClemment when he is winning as many faceoffs as he is, it was just when he was getting over 20 and other forwards were hovering around 12-15 something didn't quite ring right, at least to me.
Thats a guy who has seemed to be playing below par as of late. Not that he is playing bad, but not up to his level. His faceoffs have seemed to be getting better though.

Old
01-07-2010, 12:56 AM
Robb_K

The Blues played a good game. They didn't sit back and try to win 1-0. E.J., Brewer, Colaiacovo, Polak and even Jackman joined the offence on many occasions. Players were moving a lot more on offence, especially on the power play. Payne has got them playing well. If Oshie's post shot goes in, The Blues beat the 2nd best team in The NHL on their home ice. Berglund played better. Most of the players looked better. I think we have good things to look forward to.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:12 AM
EOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues played a good game. They didn't sit back and try to win 1-0. E.J., Brewer, Colaiacovo, Polak and even Jackman joined the offence on many occasions. Players were moving a lot more on offence, especially on the power play. Payne has got them playing well. If Oshie's post shot goes in, The Blues beat the 2nd best team in The NHL on their home ice. Berglund played better. Most of the players looked better. I think we have good things to look forward to.
I agree, I'm very optimistic about our new coach.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:17 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

Not happy with McDonald's play in OT. Also worth noting that McDonald was in the box when San jose scored the first goal.

Of course, McDonald scored our only goal.

Were all our players wearing McDonald tonight, or was he just the only guy who affected anything?

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:27 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Both goalies played well tonight....which for Mason is an improvement over his recent play.

The refs didn't call a great game, but it benefited both teams, so I guess that's fine.

Ice looked pretty poor.

Sydor played a strong game. Berglund was noticeable on the ice. The Kid Line looked like our best line.

It was nice to see the OTHER team with all the give-aways in the neutral zone for a change.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 01:30 AM
mmitchell19

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue bleeder 24-7 View Post
Not happy with McDonald's play in OT. Also worth noting that McDonald was in the box when San jose scored the first goal.

Of course, McDonald scored our only goal.

Were all our players wearing McDonald tonight, or was he just the only guy who affected anything?

I was sick about his poorly-aimed shot leading to the game-winner with under a minute left in OT, but...

Would we rather see guys that are involved in the outcome of a game, or guys that are floating around waiting for someone else to make something happen?

To me, that's the difference (however slight) that I've seen in Payne's two games behind the bench.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I agree, the Blues looked a lot different, didnt sit back on the lead, Nabokov played great and made some key saves to keep the Sharks in the game, a cpl mistakes lead to a really good Sharks team beating us in OT. We still got a point out of it too!!

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2010, 03:15 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Both goalies played well tonight....which for Mason is an improvement over his recent play.

The refs didn't call a great game, but it benefited both teams, so I guess that's fine.

Ice looked pretty poor.

Sydor played a strong game. Berglund was noticeable on the ice. The Kid Line looked like our best line.

It was nice to see the OTHER team with all the give-aways in the neutral zone for a change.
I'm a true Blues' fan. But, I'd have to admit that The Refs' miss of Jackman's putting his hand around the puck in the crease would have to knock the overall balance into The Blues' favour. I try to be as objective as possible, but, I'd say that the reffing has hurt The Blues a fair amount lately, so I won't complain about it. But, really, I don't like to see crucial calls like that, that usually alter the outcome, missed.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote